Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

Ah I believe there's a sneaky way to get the NUS card (sign up for a mickey mouse online course) and then get the Amazon Student. But I take it that more people are getting the full Amazon account and sharing the cost?

If anyone out there would like to share the cost with me (and the account of course) please drop me a pm from the start of October onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Ah I believe there's a sneaky way to get the NUS card (sign up for a mickey mouse online course) and then get the Amazon Student.

Do you have an example of a course that would work for this ?

They often crop up on Hotukdeals.com. Here's one from a few months back:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/become-a-student-get-an-nus-card-for-22-accounting-book-keeping-course-from-wowcher-2433775

or this:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nus-student-extra-card-for-everybody-13-nus-including-half-price-amazon-prime-many-2393353

Both are expired now unfortunately.

Lots of others...just do a search there. Now whether us in Ireland can get one is unknown to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

He simply uses a smart plug to switch the TV on and off. He can't switch channels.

I got Amazon Prime for only 59 pounds in May when they reduced it for a day in celebration of Jeremy Clarkson finding a name for his new car show on Prime. That runs me just about 6 euros a month for Prime Video, Prime Music, free one day shipping, and unlimited photo cloud storage to replace my expiring DFropbox. A great deal! I'll be buying Prime each year as it's way better than Netflix and works out cheaper at full price than Netflix for a year, but you get so many services for the price. Echo will make Prime Music even better more important to me, making the Prime subscription even better value.

• Advertisement

It really only integrates with Google Calander. It uses bing as the search engine and doesn't support Google Play. Amazon and Google have never been friends, and now that Google are introducing their version of Echo, they won't allow Amazon to piggyback their services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Patww79 wrote: »

Thing is thats not true at all,
    Without using any VPN's you can get the following services in Ireland using Prime
    - Kindle Benefits
    - Cloud Drive (Unlimited photos storage)
    - Prime Music
    - Early access to lightening deals

You can use delivery benefits to parcel motel which will allow you to receive prime orders in Ireland in only two days which is great. Also you don't have the min order amount to deal with, so if you want an item costing only 5e then its as easily as if the item is 100e to get it.

Even if all you use is the photo storage then Prime is still better value then Dropbox,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is thats not true at all,
    Without using any VPN's you can get the following services in Ireland using Prime
    - Kindle Benefits
    - Cloud Drive (Unlimited photos storage)
    - Prime Music
    - Early access to lightening deals

You can use delivery benefits to parcel motel which will allow you to receive prime orders in Ireland in only two days which is great. Also you don't have the min order amount to deal with, so if you want an item costing only 5e then its as easily as if the item is 100e to get it.

Even if all you use is the photo storage then Prime is still better value then Dropbox,

So, to clarify on the posters question (to which you were replying), you don't get the video service? At least not without a VPN?

I signed up for Amazon Prime over a year ago, making that UK/Ireland error. Found it to be the most pointless waste of money if you're not living in the UK. Granted it seems the features have improved. The Kindle library sounds neat and music bundled in is also great. The photo storage was there but it has limited features so I went with another service and got a refund on my Prime account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bacchus wrote: »
    So, to clarify on the posters question (to which you were replying), you don't get the video service? At least not without a VPN?

I signed up for Amazon Prime over a year ago, making that UK/Ireland error. Found it to be the most pointless waste of money if you're not living in the UK. Granted it seems the features have improved. The Kindle library sounds neat and music bundled in is also great. The photo storage was there but it has limited features so I went with another service and got a refund on my Prime account.

To be fair this thread is about the Amazon Echo so the most relevant prime feature to the Echo is really Prime Music, which does work...alot of people are not aware of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

My Prime Music account is associated with amazon.com. I cannot transfer it to .co.uk without a valid UK payment card :(.
    Has anyone figured this out?

degsie wrote: »
    My Prime Music account is associated with amazon.com. I cannot transfer it to .co.uk without a valid UK payment card :(.

You'd likely need to call Amazon and get them to stop the Amazon.com service and make it active on UK.

I had a similar issue with my clouddrive when I first tried to use it, it kept going to .com instead of the UK website so I couldn't use my Prime UK unlimited storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

To be fair this thread is about the Amazon Echo so the most relevant prime feature to the Echo is really Prime Music, which does work...alot of people are not aware of this

Oh, I'm not having a go at Amazon Prime, the new features sound really good and at a good price. I just wanted to clarify the video situation as that'd be the clincher to maybe move over.
    You'd likely need to call Amazon and get them to stop the Amazon.com service and make it active on UK.

I had a similar issue with my clouddrive when I first tried to use it, it kept going to .com instead of the UK website so I couldn't use my Prime UK unlimited storage.

Had that exact same issue. It was a pain. The co.uk people do not communicate at all with the .com people. They may as well be two different companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

smartdnsproxy.com works with Amazon Video UK.

Mine has changed to "Preparing for Dispatch".....money has been taken!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

degsie wrote: »

go to Amazon.co.uk>Your account>Digital content>Your amazon music settings>your country settings>change then put in billing adress with UK address.

i used the address of a parcel motel type place in derry. And my credit card is irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I don't have an account with a music-provider such as Spotify or Amazon Prime so, out of the box, can I play anything on the Amazon Echo once mine arrives?

I plan to sign up to Spotify, but was curious if I could play any music on it the day it arrives?

Am I limited to TuneIn radio, or can I request to play music from a YouTube video?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

donegal. wrote: »
    go to Amazon.co.uk>Your account>Digital content>Your amazon music settings>your country settings>change then put in billing adress with UK address.

i used the address of a parcel motel type place in derry. And my credit card is irish.

Believe me, I tried all the methods mentioned but to no avail :(. Amazon chat confirmed it's not possible without a UK issued card.

• Advertisement

Echo finally dispatched, should have me echo and Philips bulbs come Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Didn't realise the echo was released this month. Have to wait another month for my dot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Which Philips builds did you get?

Echo is now registered on my Amazon account (once the echo is dispatched it shows up, the same as kindles do), everything seems fine but i can't seem to select any address in Ireland outside of the very big citys such as Dublin,. Somebody mentioned this can now be changed?

Although I can't set the location to say Kilkenny or Waterford I can set the traffic section to it, which just seems odd

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Which Philips builds did you get?

I picked these up on offer from Amazon.de
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B016151IRQ/

I know how things go by Thursday night

For those that have had a echo dispatched to them you can have a look at some of the settings by going to http://alexa.amazon.co.uk/

I picked these up on offer from Amazon.de
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B016151IRQ/

I know how things go by Thursday night

For those that have had a echo dispatched to them you can have a look at some of the settings by going to http://alexa.amazon.co.uk/

Dam I need the other type of light fiting (Not the screw version) think its GU10

Can't see them on the .de site

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dam I need the other type of light fiting (Not the screw version) think its GU10

You can buy adaptors for them for very little money which will sort you.
    Have a look in the recent bargains thread for these bulbs. There's a couple of links for them.

GU10 are these:
    79a5e8af-f8ed-4a15-9dc2-8c561a8c9763.jpg

These are E27 (edison screw)
    ledare-led-bulb-e27-400-lumen-dimmable-globe-opal-white__0362381_pe547440_s4.jpg

These are B22 (bayonet)
    b22-holder-bulb.jpg

Amazon.co.uk sells all three, might also be worth checking .es
    But if you want B22 .co.uk is your best bet. But as already pointed out you can buy convertors so don't worry too much

If you're buying the philips hue the colour changing B22 or E27 bulbs are expensive, the GU10's are really expensive but the standard B22 and E27 bulbs are much more reasonable.

The starter kit I went for is colour changing but I won't be purchasing anymore, I'll be going with the standard one's for the rest of the house.

adox wrote: »
    You can buy adaptors for them for very little money which will sort you.
    Have a look in the recent bargains thread for these bulbs. There's a couple of links for them.

Just ordered Philips Hue starter pack myself and the Hue dimmer switch https://www.amazon.de/dp/B014HGOBUM/ref=pd_luc_rh_bxgy_01_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&th=1#Ask for the front room so I don't have to by 6 x GU10 Hue lights!!.

Remeber I have Ikea adaptors already at home. :D:D

Any good deals on Smart plugs at the moment. What plugs are people using?

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement

why get the Philips Hue starter kit from Amazon Germany when it's basically the same price in the UK with free shipping and will get here much faster? You're not really saving much when you had 8 euros shipping.

Be careful of updating the bridge. I updated mine last week and half way through the update it failed and completely bricked my bridge. I have to get a replacement now. I won't be updating them again after that experience. The design of the bridges leaves a lot to be desired but the 9w bulbs are the brightest 9w bulbs I've seen. They shine like a 100w incandescent. I was blown away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement