Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Here's my experience since collecting it last night from PM.

Setup of app and Echo was a breeze. Linking spotify was another story see previous posts.

Thoughts so far:

Pro's:
    - Spotify works great Alexa Play Happy by Pharrell Williams" (My little girl loves that song:p)
    - Timers and alrms work great.
    - Hears my voice from about 10ft away in my kitchen come living room.
    - Understands me 95% of the time (The wife not so much)
    - Audible linked up automatically and was able to play audiobook.
    - Speaker is unreal. This would easily fill a room twice the size of my Kitchen/Living room. Amazing sound for such a small device.
    - Bluetooth synced up with out issues
    - Alexa App is a bit meh
    - Traffic reports when it works (See below)

Con's:
    Traffic: Alexa "How is my commute looking?" I'm sorry traffic is not available right now (Was working last night)

Unable to change the order of the news reports as in but BBC news ahead of Sky news. You need to say Alexa "next" and it goes to the next news outlet.

Having issues changing address. Unable to get local wether report. withput saying Alexa "Whats the weather like in Celbridge"

Lack of IFTT and Harmony support (ATM) Just found out off this forum that IFTTT is not yet available for this, which is a total bummer as I was hoping to the get a logitech harmony and use Echo and IFTTT to control TV and channel change if possible.

Apart from that I am very pleased. I think the more development goes into this and the more services that become available it will get even better. Really hoping IFTTT comes to the UK Echo soon.

Ordered HUe lights and dimmer switch so hoping to get that setup next week.

Wife is still a bit perplexed as to why we need but she'll come around when I say

Alexa " Play some barry White... ALexa change light colour to Moody!:p
    :p:p:pac::pac::pac:

BobbYT28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Sorry if this answered already as collecting tonight from PM. I have an amazon uk prime account. Can I play prime music from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ajd1969

BobbyT28 did the Alexa App accept your Irish address when you set it up? I will be installing mine tonight and (hopefully) linking to my existing Hue lights.

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Here's my experience since collecting it last night from PM.

Setup of app and Echo was a breeze. Linking spotify was another story see previous posts.

Thoughts so far:

Pro's:
    - Spotify works great Alexa Play Happy by Pharrell Williams" (My little girl loves that song:p)
    - Timers and alrms work great.
    - Hears my voice from about 10ft away in my kitchen come living room.
    - Understands me 95% of the time (The wife not so much)
    - Audible linked up automatically and was able to play audiobook.
    - Speaker is unreal. This would easily fill a room twice the size of my Kitchen/Living room. Amazing sound for such a small device.
    - Bluetooth synced up with out issues
    - Alexa App is a bit meh
    - Traffic reports when it works (See below)

Con's:
    Traffic: Alexa "How is my commute looking?" I'm sorry traffic is not available right now (Was working last night)

Unable to change the order of the news reports as in but BBC news ahead of Sky news. You need to say Alexa "next" and it goes to the next news outlet.

Having issues changing address. Unable to get local wether report. withput saying Alexa "Whats the weather like in Celbridge"

Lack of IFTT and Harmony support (ATM) Just found out off this forum that IFTTT is not yet available for this, which is a total bummer as I was hoping to the get a logitech harmony and use Echo and IFTTT to control TV and channel change if possible.

Apart from that I am very pleased. I think the more development goes into this and the more services that become available it will get even better. Really hoping IFTTT comes to the UK Echo soon.

Ordered HUe lights and dimmer switch so hoping to get that setup next week.

Wife is still a bit perplexed as to why we need but she'll come around when I say

Alexa " Play some barry White... ALexa change light colour to Moody!:p
    :p:p:pac::pac::pac:

BobbYT28

ajd1969 wrote: »
    BobbyT28 did the Alexa App accept your Irish address when you set it up? I will be installing mine tonight and (hopefully) linking to my existing Hue lights.

It did. I just had to use N/A for poscode. That was it.

You shouldn't have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Does anyone have the non applekit enabled Netatmo Thermostat and can they confirm that the Echo works fully with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Must say the Guardian option is pretty nifty,
    Also I happen to have some Audible titles as Kindle books as well, if you happen to be reading the Kindle book the Audible book resumes from the last page you were on with the Kindle. pretty cool

Not finding Prime Music great, but then I have zero playlists setup which I think is a big factor

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Brayruit

Hi all - hope somebody can help!

I am getting stuck trying to install the Echo.

I get to the page that says connect your computer to Echo. I connect to Amazon-7UM and Echo says "Go to your Alexa App to complete installation" or something along those lines. The problem is when I go back to the page in the app it has not changed.... there is no "Continue" button nor any way to progress from that point.

I was able to download the Alexa App from the UK store to my iphone but I have exactly the same problem.

Anyone any ideas?

Anyone with the same problem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Brayruit wrote: »
    Hi all - hope somebody can help!

I am getting stuck trying to install the Echo.

I get to the page that says connect your computer to Echo. I connect to Amazon-7UM and Echo says "Go to your Alexa App to complete installation" or something along those lines. The problem is when I go back to the page in the app it has not changed.... there is no "Continue" button nor any way to progress from that point.

I was able to download the Alexa App from the UK store to my iphone but I have exactly the same problem.

Anyone any ideas?

Anyone with the same problem?

Don't use the app
    Use http://alexa.amazon.co.uk instead in a browser
    The app is not required to either install or use the Echo, I did it entirely via http://alexa.amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Going to collect the Echo from PM later on .
    Is it plug in play outta the box or is there anything much I can do in the mean time ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Going to collect the Echo from PM later on .
    Is it plug in play outta the box or is there anything much I can do in the mean time ?

You can login to http://alexa.amazon.co.uk and setup some stuff and check some settings, as when Amazon dispatched it they will have registered it to your Amazon account.

Once you take out the echo and setup wifi then you can setup additional options

• Advertisement

alexa.amazon.co.uk is where I started and where I have the problem in the first place

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain that very well. The computer screen is still showing the "Connect your computer to Echo" page with a picture showing connection to the Amazon-XXX wifi under wifi settings. No "Continue" button appears so I am completely stuck.

Any other ideas???

alexa.amazon.co.uk is where I started and where I have the problem in the first place

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain that very well. The computer screen is still showing the "Connect your computer to Echo" page with a picture showing connection to the Amazon-XXX wifi under wifi settings. No "Continue" button appears so I am completely stuck.

Any other ideas???

and you've then changed your wifi options on your computer to connect to that network (the new wireless network echo/amazon)?

Once you've done this you can continue

Cabaal wrote: »
    and you've then changed your wifi options on your computer to connect to that network (the new wireless network echo/amazon)?

Once you've done this you can continue

Yes I have changed the wifi on my computer to Amazon-7UM and Alexa says her bit about continuing in the app...

But then I have no way to continue - there is no continue button - nothing changes on the computer screen!

Yes I have changed the wifi on my computer to Amazon-7UM and Alexa says her bit about continuing in the app...

But then I have no way to continue - there is no continue button - nothing changes on the computer screen!

Thats very odd, I never got such a prompt when I setup the echo this morning,
    I could do it all via the webpage with zero mention of the app

I setup mine via the app last night. select new device and setup.

I only mention the word "app" because Alexa says app. I am trying to do it all from the web page. It is the web page that is giving me the problem as it does not change (i.e. no continue button appears).

I turn on the Echo (after resetting for the 50th time!) and it says "Hello.... follow the instructions in your alexa app". I go to the web page (alexa.amazon.co.uk) and follow the instructions very carefully. I get to the part where she says "You've connected to Echo. Go ahead and finish the set up in your alexa app". But then I am snookered because there is no way to continue on the page.

What happened for you.... did a "Continue" button appear on the page??

I picked up the Echo and have it connected .
    I'm having one problem. I have Spotify Premium for Family and have linked it but it won't work.
    I'm just thinking is it only the standard premium that works ?
    I never even thought that Family Premium might not work.

I picked up the Echo and have it connected .
    I'm having one problem. I have Spotify Premium for Family and have linked it but it won't work.
    I'm just thinking is it only the standard premium that works ?
    I never even thought that Family Premium might not work.

When you say it doesn't work, does it not play songs from Spotify?

Have you made Spotify your default Music player in settings-Music?

I have only the premium so can't test.

BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    When you say it doesn't work, does it not play songs from Spotify?

Have you made Spotify your default Music player in settings-Music?

I have only the premium so can't test.

BobbyT28
    It tells me to link my account in settings but I have that done and it shows on Spotify that I have given access to Alexa.

It tells me to link my account in settings but I have that done and it shows on Spotify that I have given access to Alexa.

Ok so have you made it your default Music player and then try,
    "Alexa - Play Happy by Pharrell Williams in Spotify and see what happens

• Advertisement

I get "To play Spotify first link your premium account in the Alexa app"
    I made Spotify my default player.

EDIT:Dunno what was wrong but its working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

I made a quick video of it working here in Ireland but this silly forum won't let me post the Youtube url.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

The quote option doesn't seem to work for me on Boards anymore for some reason. But in order to move from the US Amazon.com to Amazon UK make sure you update to the latest app as only the updated app will work on Amazon UK. Also, you need to go into the 'devices and content' in account settings on the amazon.co.uk website and make sure the location is set to the UK. If it's set to the US you won't be able to connect to the UK on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Anyone else having trouble inputting a location? It keeps refusing any change I make, popping up "Could not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete address.", despite the address being correct, and having entered a dozen variations on it. It makes the alarm/clock unusable, along with anything associated to time or it's location.
    Could not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you hcccave correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressC
    Could not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete address

Yes I had that problem. In the end I just picked a well known area nearby and used that.

I did try that, with no success. I'm living in small town outside Limerick city, but even just trying "Limerick IE" - which was one of the auto-fill options when I typed it - was rejected.

Pick one of the main streets in Limerick city.

2 Patrick St. Limerick or similar and it should work. That's what I had to do.

Yeah literally just tried a few random city centre addresses like 1 O'Connell Street and 2 Patrick Street, but it's still refusing them. What did you put into the zip/postcode box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody else still waiting for their Echo from PM? Mine has been sitting in Dublin depot since Wed :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement