Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

I have Amazon Prime Music but for those who don't use Prime the Echo will have very limited functionality unless you're a Spotify subscriber and like Tunein.

I have Amazon Prime Music but for those who don't use Prime the Echo will have very limited functionality unless you're a Spotify subscriber and like Tunein. If you don't subscribe to any of these services a bluetooth speaker would be a better option.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Google highly unlikely to release the Home in the UK for at least a year after the US release as they'll need to work out deals with third party providers and assess the response from the US market first. They did this with the Chromecast too. Unless you want to wait another year go ahead, but at 99 pounds I don't see the Home (which has a crappy speaker unlike Echo) beating that deal on release day.

I ordered my Echo today but does anyone notice they are no longer shipping to Northern Ireland? I've contacted Amazon about it and they said they'll give me a 'detailed explanation' in a few hours. I really hope they don't cancel our orders. I don't understand the reason as the North has full access to Prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

Patww79 wrote: »

A full list of features and possible applications would be very useful if anyone has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

ordered mine today (Via Parcel Motel) to Dublin and it pre ordered fine.

A little bit off topic!

Looking to get start with home automation after getting the Echo,

Can people post a few links to Wemo and other home automation gadgets that they have and will work with alexa.

Looking at the Wemo Insight

Anyone using the Logitech hub to control TV Xbox etc?

Anything else?

BobbyT28

Just seen a youtube video of a fella controlling his whole media library, Sony Bravia Smart TV (Change channels, Alexa...... Put on ESPN) and STB using the Echo. Very impressive.

Wonder if there is a way to controll my Sony Smart TV to change channels and play movies and TV shows from PLex??

Seriously looking forward to getting my hands on this and having a play around with it.

BobbyT28

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Really intersted in getting one of these as I use voice controls with my phone all the time and would like to be able to do more with alexa. Just wondering exactly what it can and cant do? What do people use it for most?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Zascar wrote: »
    What do people use it for most?

To try and impress visitors :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LiamG

true dat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Just seen a youtube video of a fella controlling his whole media library, Sony Bravia Smart TV (Change channels, Alexa...... Put on ESPN) and STB using the Echo. Very impressive.

Link for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMqcmXQhlt4

Going to get this working on my setup too I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

mrcheez wrote: »
    Link for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMqcmXQhlt4

Going to get this working on my setup too I reckon

Looks interesting. Would like the ability to play local media, possibly using Kodi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hi can anyone point me in the right direction to get the apk for alexa? PM please Mods i hope this is ok if not please delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Hi can anyone point me in the right direction to get the apk for alexa? PM please Mods i hope this is ok if not please delete.

i found it here but you need to have your echo before you can use the app

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

A little bit off topic!

Can people post a few links to Wemo and other home automation gadgets that they have and will work with alexa.

Anything else?

BobbyT28

Currently planning my set-up leading up to the arrival of my Echo.
    For sure it'll involve Philips Hue lights (good started pack for £59.99 or €73 from Littelwoods) and it'll likely involve a Harmony hub.
    Harmony hub would allow Alexa to control TV, Xbox, Horizon TV set-top box, Android box and my Roomba (robotic vacuum cleaner). Hue lights are already controlled by Alexa. You can also get a cheaper version of the LED light strips controlled via IR remote and have you Harmony hub "learn" to control those as well.
    Read mixed reviews regarding the Wemo switch... willing to give it a try once everything is set up so that i can send it back to Amazon for a refund if it doesnt work
    Keep u posted

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

yoshimitsu the Harmony Elite remote works extremely well with Hue lights. The Elite remote has dedicated buttons to control Hue lights. Keep on eye out during Amazon Prime deals/sales, the price drops significantly during those.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    For sure it'll involve Philips Hue lights (good started pack for £59.99 or €73 from Littelwoods) and it'll likely involve a Harmony hub.
    Harmony hub would allow Alexa to control TV, Xbox, Horizon TV set-top box, Android box and my Roomba (robotic vacuum cleaner). Hue lights are already controlled by Alexa. You can also get a cheaper version of the LED light strips controlled via IR remote and have you Harmony hub "learn" to control those as well.
    Read mixed reviews regarding the Wemo switch... willing to give it a try once everything is set up so that i can send it back to Amazon for a refund if it doesnt work
    Keep u posted

Thanks for the info, do you have a few links to the stuff your looking at? Cause it's exactly what I'm looking to do so would like to see what your lookibg at.

Tescos had a deal on wemo starter kits a few weeks back, Might be good to check there also.

Really looking forward to getting my tech, would love to be able to control all those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    A little bit off topic!

Anything else?

BobbyT28

For sure it'll involve Philips Hue lights (good started pack for 59.99 or 73 from Littelwoods) and it'll likely involve a Harmony hub.
    Keep u posted
    The Harmony Hub isn't supported by Alexa yet - it's in beta testing phase.
    I'm using the Harmony Hub and Smartthings integration to try and achieve similar to you, I would have to say it's flaky at best.

EDIT: I got Wemo sockets as a test and they worked very well, but I've been a lightwaverf guy for many years now, so that's my main installation.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, do you have a few links to the stuff your looking at? Cause it's exactly what I'm looking to do so would like to see what your lookibg at.

Tescos had a deal on wemo starter kits a few weeks back, Might be good to check there also.

Really looking forward to getting my tech, would love to be able to control all those things.

Disclaimer: I havent tried any of these "solutions" so cant vouch for the their robustness. They all seem to involve some level of customization through IFTTT although there are indications that Echo and Harmony will work together seamlessly at some point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/comments/4azafe/harmony_hub/

https://measuredcircle.wordpress.com/2015/11/25/how-to-use-the-amazon-echo-and-a-logitech-harmony-to-put-on-your-tv-shows/

http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-alexa-will-soon-blend-with-logitech-harmony-20444906/

I'll post add'l links if I more info.

Get ready for some more alternatives (complexity!) in our voice-controlled, home-automation efforts!

GOOGLE: sent invitations for an event in San Francisco on October 4 where the web company is expected to introduce new smartphones and home-automation hardware, along with other new product upgrades.
    # The text of the letter, which includes the phrase "Ok Google, add to calendar," suggests a bigger role for the Google Now voice assistant. The invitation also features an animated graphic showing a search bar that morphs into the shape of a smartphone.
    # While the timing of Google’s new hardware isn’t a departure from the past, there’s a risk it could be overshadowed.

Guys I've pre-ordered one but I have a bit of a random question: would it be able to give horse racing results? I mean would I be able to ask "Alexa, winner of the 3:45 at Yarmouth please" and would it read out the results? Would be so handy for the rest of the family!! Bit embarrassed to ask and I was trying to wait until it arrived but feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Guys I've pre-ordered one but I have a bit of a random question: would it be able to give horse racing results? I mean would I be able to ask "Alexa, winner of the 3:45 at Yarmouth please" and would it read out the results? Would be so handy for the rest of the family!! Bit embarrassed to ask and I was trying to wait until it arrived but feck it.

you can test alexa here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

donegal. wrote: »

That's cool although it seems to just look at Seattle.

Q: "What's the weather like in New York?" ...
    A: "In Seattle it's .... "

donegal. wrote: »

Yeah tried that last week when the bargain was first announced. It's extremely limited compared to the real thing.

So my question still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Alexa now allows you to change location to Irish addresses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just something worth pointing out to those trying to get Amazon Music app on Android,
    You won't be able to find it on Google Play in Ireland BUT you can easily get it off of the Amazon Underground app - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-com-Amazon-Underground/dp/B004GJDQT8

You don't need to use any of those apk sites to download it :)

Are all you guys permanent subscribers to Amazon Prime? I notice from HUKD that if you have a NUS card it's substantially less. Anyone using one from Ireland please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are all you guys permanent subscribers to Amazon Prime? I notice from HUKD that if you have a NUS card it's substantially less. Anyone using one from Ireland please?

Thats Amazon Student,
    You need to be in a university of college in the UK to get it, (you'd need to provide this with documentation or a .ac.uk e-mail address)

Its charged a 39 sterling a year after the 6 month trial

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201292830

Its not exactly the same as Prime as it can't be shared with another Amazon account like Prime can be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement