Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is the hoff still making stuff ? I mean since bay watch ended I couldn’t tell you one thing he’s been in. Now bay watch is nothing to sniff at. Ah Nicole Eggert aka summer was the best thing about that show. Certainly brightened up my Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think, and this is without Googling so may be bullshít, she was a bad case of going overboard with plastic surgery, and ruined her face. Ryan kinda traded a lot on her "wholesome" girl next door beauty, so could see how it might have torpedoed her career.

Not sure about Meg but I know that was definitely the case for Melanie Griffith. Ruined her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Mischa Barton felt like she was being tipped to be the next big thing after The OC. Then she kind of fell off the radar save for a few direct to dvd movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I ain't googling it, but I remember some show on VH1 or MTV in the 00s which explained 'What happened to Jennifer Grey'. Apparently she didn't like her nose at all and had work done on it after Dirty Dancing. The thing is though, she no longer looked like Baby and therefore no studio could really market her off of her fame/look from Dirty Dancing.

Saw a fairly recent film one day with the description saying Jennifer Grey was in it. So watched a bit waiting to see what she looks like. About 15 mins into it I looked up imdb to see which character she was playing. Turned out to be the main character that I had been watching. Didn't recognise her

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

flazio wrote: »
    Steve Guttenberg is an interesting one because you could almost claim that Adam Samberg's Peralta character on Brooklyn 99 is an updated Mahoney.
    Jennifer Grey is married to Clark Gregg, best known as Phil Coulson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    Hollywood does tend to be more cruel to its ageing leading ladies then to its men. Think of Michelle Monaghan, Katherine Heigl, Kirsten Dunst and Hayley Attwell to name a few. Even the likes of Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence and Anna Kendrick have fallen off the radar lately.

Guttenberg is an actor I haven’t seen or thought about in donkeys..is in his 60’s.. recently got married to a news anchor , Emily Smith I’m reading...

steve-guttenberg-emily-smith-2000.jpg

Guttenberg always seemed like a nice guy off camera too.. strange that he hasn’t been doing much film work the last decade... he was watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw a fairly recent film one day with the description saying Jennifer Grey was in it. So watched a bit waiting to see what she looks like. About 15 mins into it I looked up imdb to see which character she was playing. Turned out to be the main character that I had been watching. Didn't recognise her

And then you see some actors who had big success years ago and they look the same and haven’t aged a day.

Another name who could have been on this list was Mayim bialik who if she hadn’t been in the Big Bang theory would have been known for one show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There doesn't seem to be all that many actors who actively chose to leave the industry, as opposed to those who left by default when they started families or got old, or whose star faded but kept on working. Greta Garbo was the famous example, quitting at 35 and becoming a recluse.

Family still seems to be a factor, though: it seems that if you can afford to stop working to raise a family, then that's prefeable. Rick Moranis has already been mentioned, while Cary Grant stopped acting at 62 when he became a father for the first time, and turned down many offers to focus on his family instead. The story I heard about Phoebe Cates was that she started a family with husband Kevin Kline, and they agreed to alternate acting and family duties, but every time she could have worked, she decided that family life was better.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

brendan fraser... huge,then nothing.

Fraser's been cast as the lead in Darren Aronofsky's next film, The Whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

glasso wrote: »
    Irish actor Stuart Townsend

Packed it in pretty much and shacked up with a local bird in Costa Rica

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/the-forgotten-story-of-irish-actor-stuart-townsend-being-fired-from-lord-of-the-rings-37667090.html

Resurrection Man, haunted me for years... an amazing movie. he was brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Ditto Colin Farrell :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Colin Farrell's career is hardly over. He still stars in many indie and Hollywood productions, not least Artemis Fowl just this year, and is currently shooting the next Batman film, playing the Penguin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wha... Colin Farrell? He’s a busy active actor that still pops up in indie films and blockbusters alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ish66 wrote: »

Ditto Colin Farrell :confused:

Farrell's in the new Batman film, eh, "The Batman"
    He's playing the Penguin, but from the publicity shots he's practically unrecognisable. Apart from that he's been in quite a few smaller movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

John Cusack.

He was huge - and I mean HUGE - from the late 80s through to the early 00s. Outstanding actor and starred in some of the biggest movies of that time (including many of my all-time favourites).

And then he just disappeared off the face of the earth. Except he's not gone - every thing he has done in recent times has been straight-to-DVD.

Hard to know where or why it all went wrong for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ardent wrote: »
    John Cusack.

He was huge - and I mean HUGE - from the late 80s through to the early 00s. Outstanding actor and starred in some of the biggest movies of that time (including many of my all-time favourites).

And then he just disappeared off the face of the earth. Except he's not gone - every thing he has done in recent times has been straight-to-DVD.

With stuff like this, my guesses usually centre around: substance or alcohol abuse, massive debts, or just being too much an arsehole relative to box office profitability. Or a combination of them all lol

I mean, conventionally speaking Nicholas Cage dropped off the radar, but the man still "stars" in dozens of drek films a year (to service apparent debts he owes) ala Cusack. Main difference is Cage seems to have leant into his Z List status, cultivating a bit of a fan club

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭crazylady1

Resurrection Man, haunted me for years... an amazing movie. he was brilliant in it.

Agree. That movie is very disturbing. That scene in the pub and in the bathroom afterwards really disturbed me. It was horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭crazylady1

Agree. That movie is very disturbing. That scene in the pub and in the bathroom afterwards really disturbed me. It was horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does moving to TV & Straight to DVD/Streaming mean your career is ended?

Hollywood encompasses a lot of areas.

Many actors move behind the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

Does moving to TV & Straight to DVD/Streaming mean your career is ended?

Moving to TV these days is not only acceptable but is desirable for many Holywood stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Moving to TV these days is not only acceptable but is desirable for many Holywood stars.

Indeed it is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Michael Fassbender starred in a string of box office failures such as Prometheus and Assassin's Creed. His performances were critically acclaimed but he never became a true star. He's was reduced to starring in Kung Fury 2.

The pandemic has destroyed the entertainment industry and it could be all over for Hollywood.

Hollywood itself ended abruptly in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Guttenberg memorably plays/lampoons himself in an episode of Party Down.

John Cusack.

He had a good screen presence, a good actor.... I liked him, came across well when being interviewed..

Done not too much aside from straight to DVD stuff last 15 or so years. A strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

John Cusack has not only been working regularly, a couple of years ago he was here in Ireland shooting a Western with Emile Hirsch:

He's been quoted as saying he's not keen on being a celebrity, and enjoys other interests such as snowboarding and kickboxing. He would do movies like 2012 to make money, but is a bit cynical about the business:
    Sometimes I'm think I'm in control, but more and more I realize that it's just a complete farce. It used to be that if you did a big, big movie then you could leverage it and make some smaller, cooler ones. And I got away with that for a few years. But now they just want you to put on tights. If you don't put on the tights they just want to get rid of you. And I'm not putting on the tights. So you know...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Adam Sandler. Nothing from him for a while now.

Michael Fassbender starred in a string of box office failures such as Prometheus and Assassin's Creed. His performances were critically acclaimed but he never became a true star. He's was reduced to starring in Kung Fury 2.

The pandemic has destroyed the entertainment industry and it could be all over for Hollywood.

Well the money won’t be there to pay the big stars what they are accustomed to.

A percentage who love what they do will keep doing it... I’d say a lot of 50 year old plus heads might just say ‘nahhh, not too pushed doing much’... might give more opportunities to up and coming talent... not necessarily young talent but actors who haven’t quite had the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And then you see some actors who had big success years ago and they look the same and haven’t aged a day.

Another name who could have been on this list was Mayim bialik who if she hadn’t been in the Big Bang theory would have been known for one show.

To be fair Mayim Bialik kept herself busy doing college, then a PHD then post doc research till the big bang theory rolled along with a whopper pay packet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I think Phoebe cates was very smart in how she played her career. She prioritised raising her kids and family life over nurturing stardom. When her kids were old enough she opened a boutique in New York called Blue tree. It's very successful and she seems to have escaped the whole fame game without a scratch. I mean the fact that her and kevin Kline are still married after over 30 years is a testament to good decisions being made by both her and Kline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

You missed the boys from Brasil

Advertisement