Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Options
  • 24-01-2021 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭

A random thread.
    But I just happened to switch on an episode of Baywatch there randomly on TV and it guest starred Elizabeth Berkley (Jessie from Saved by the Bell)
    The episode in question was in 1992 which was the same year Saved by the Bell ended. This of course is all leading up to her infamous Showgirls movie in 1995.

Only aged 23 when the movie came out her career pretty much ended as the movie was a flop. She would star in movies like Any Given Sunday (1999) but the damage was done.
    In a 2015 interview the director of Showgirls, Paul Verhoeven, apologized for her career ending so soon. Not that it was his intention or anything like that. But having made a movie that failed he felt responsible for what he says 'Hollywood blackballing her'.

It's mental looking back. She was young, beautiful, tall, could act and had a rocking body. If you were a betting man, then the (seemingly) smart bet would have been on her.

Anyone else come to mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Harvey Weinstein

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Cameron Diaz

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A random thread.
    But I just happened to switch on an episode of Baywatch there randomly on TV and it guest starred Elizabeth Berkley (Jessie from Saved by the Bell)
    The episode in question was in 1992 which was the same year Saved by the Bell ended. This of course is all leading up to her infamous Showgirls movie in 1995.

Only aged 23 when the movie came out her career pretty much ended as the movie was a flop. She would star in movies like Any Given Sunday (1999) but the damage was done.
    In a 2015 interview the director of Showgirls, Paul Verhoeven, apologized for her career ending so soon. Not that it was his intention or anything like that. But having made a movie that failed he felt responsible for what he says 'Hollywood blackballing her'.

It's mental looking back. She was young, beautiful, tall, could act and had a rocking body. If you were a betting man, then the (seemingly) smart bet would have been on her.

Anyone else come to mind?

Did it ruin her career though ? She was in stuff after that film and from a saved by the bell reunion on one of the US talk shows she’s done okay and isn’t bitter about it. I mean of all the saved by the bell cast she’s not the worst off. I mean poor Dustin diamond has cancer and the actress who played Lisa seems to have disappeared. The saved by the bell cast as a whole have come out the far side of stardom well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Jack Nicholson was someone I hadn't realised retired until years after he made his last movie.

Gene Hackman too. I just checked his Wikipedia and couldn't believe he's 90. I knew he's retired, I just assumed he was in his 70s at most.

A bit different given the incredible careers they've had, just 2 people who retired unbeknownst to me until years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

She was young, beautiful, tall, could act and had a rocking body.

And that’s why you are thinking of her at this time of night.

• Advertisement

Grace Kelly - Retired at 26 when she married the Prince of Monaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Kevin Spacey

Irish actor Stuart Townsend

Packed it in pretty much and shacked up with a local bird in Costa Rica

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/the-forgotten-story-of-irish-actor-stuart-townsend-being-fired-from-lord-of-the-rings-37667090.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jack Nicholson was someone I hadn't realised retired until years after he made his last movie.

Gene Hackman too. I just checked his Wikipedia and couldn't believe he's 90. I knew he's retired, I just assumed he was in his 70s at most.

A bit different given the incredible careers they've had, just 2 people who retired unbeknownst to me until years later.

God what happened to Gene Hackman. He’s somebody I haven’t thought about or seen in an age.. his last film was 2004... the last new release I saw him in was The Royal Tennenbaums, that’s 20 years old this year... he turns 91 in a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To add to the thread further, Steve Guttenberg is another.

Bonafide Hollywood star of the 80s being in such movies as Police Academy (1984), Cocoon (1985), Police Academy 2 (1985), Short Circuit (1986), Police Academy 3 (1986), Three Men and a Baby (1987), Police Academy 4 (1987), Cocoon 2 (1988) and Three men and a Little Lady (1990). He was on fire back in the 80s as he was on the silver screen so much with many hits.

That's it pretty much. His next movie wouldnt be until 1995 which was The Big Green. A Disney sports comedy movie. But that wasn't as successful as The Mighty Ducks.
    Even in the classic stonecutters episode of The Simpsons they joke and say "who makes Steve Guttenberg ... A star... We doooo" :p that first aired in January 1995 and he was well gone at that point sadly.

See there were no scandals about him. No him going to rehab etc. No bad attitude. He was clean as a whistle. Hollywood just stopped casting him in major movies after Three Men and a Little Lady.

• Advertisement

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    And that’s why you are thinking of her at this time of night.

Haha.
    She was stunning. Sue me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Wesley Snipes

Amanda Bynes.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did it ruin her career though ? She was in stuff after that film and from a saved by the bell reunion on one of the US talk shows she’s done okay and isn’t bitter about it. I mean of all the saved by the bell cast she’s not the worst off. I mean poor Dustin diamond has cancer and the actress who played Lisa seems to have disappeared. The saved by the bell cast as a whole have come out the far side of stardom well.

I get what you are saying. It's not like she never acted again. But Showgirls was her big movie break. A rocket was being strapped to her back. However once the movie flopped Hollywood turned their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,831 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rick Moranis is another high profile one - he quit live action roles after his wife died so he could raise their kids properly. Did a few voiceover bits and pieces as you can knock them out in no time from a booth, but otherwise took a big step back for over 20 years. Apparently he’s gonna appear in a new Honey I shrunk the kids reboot at some stage post-Covid though - guess his own kids are all grown up at this stage!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

John McTiernan directed stone cold classics in Die Hard (and its second sequel), Predator, The Hint for Red October; though his sudden career end was cos he was arrested and charged by the FBI IIRC (over q wiretapping scandal)

Then I was only just reading of Richard Kelly; exploded to fame over Donnie Darko, then disappeared as suddenly after making a mere 2 followup films that went down like lead balloons.

Not quite a Hollywood actor, but was thinking of Ardal O'Hanlon recently for similar reasons. Post Father Ted, he had a brief career but seems to have just completely disappeared from screen.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Wesley Snipes

Wesley stopped paying his taxes and paid the price by going to prison. He's own fault really.
    Amanda Bynes.

Sadly another child actor a victim of the industry. Drugs and partying. Guess the studios were not willing to invest in her given her lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Elijah Wood

Never could escape Lord Of The Rings

Still trying though ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

pixelburp wrote: »

Not quite a Hollywood actor, but was thinking of Ardal O'Hanlon recently for similar reasons. Post Father Ted, he had a brief career but seems to have just completely disappeared from screen.

Ardal was in Derry Girls is 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Elijah Wood

Never could escape Lord Of The Rings

Still trying though ha.

Still very much acting.

Churning out indie movies at a respectable rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,831 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

John McTiernan directed stone cold classics in Die Hard (and its second sequel), Predator, The Hint for Red October; though his sudden career end was cos he was arrested and charged by the FBI IIRC (over q wiretapping scandal)

Then I was only just reading of Richard Kelly; exploded to fame over Donnie Darko, then disappeared as suddenly after making a mere 2 followup films that went down like lead balloons.

He's in an awful lot more than you'd think! Nothing big, but he's a reasonably regularly working actor. Death In Paradise is his current thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bridget Fonda was another one to retire (very) early. I don't know if the family name weighed heavily on her, or she genuinely just wanted to be a fulltime family woman.

I'd say yes and no.
    After Father Ted he went on to do My Hero for the BBC which ran for 6 seasons from 2000 - 2006. Then yeah he had a down period from a perspective of not being in the spotlight as much. But he would have a comeback also with the BBC with Death in Paradise being the lead for 24 episodes 2017 - 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

To add to the thread further, Steve Guttenberg is another.

Bonafide Hollywood star of the 80s being in such movies as Police Academy (1984), Cocoon (1985), Police Academy 2 (1985), Short Circuit (1986), Police Academy 3 (1986), Three Men and a Baby (1987), Police Academy 4 (1987), Cocoon 2 (1988) and Three men and a Little Lady (1990). He was on fire back in the 80s as he was on the silver screen so much with many hits.

That's it pretty much. His next movie wouldnt be until 1995 which was The Big Green. A Disney sports comedy movie. But that wasn't as successful as The Mighty Ducks.
    Even in the classic stonecutters episode of The Simpsons they joke and say "who makes Steve Guttenberg ... A star... We doooo" :p that first aired in January 1995 and he was well gone at that point sadly.

See there were no scandals about him. No him going to rehab etc. No bad attitude. He was clean as a whistle. Hollywood just stopped casting him in major movies after Three Men and a Little Lady.

Yeah strange one now as he was massive in the 80s like one of the leading male actors for a few years then with the films you named above. Really weird one it just fizzled out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rick Moranis, but in his case it was voluntary. His wife died and he quit acting to take care of the kids. Kids are grown up now, and he's reportedly coming back.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jennifer grey from dirty dancing seemed to more or less vanish after that film. Didn’t she get a nose job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Guttenburg really is the ultimate example for me. Emilio Estevez is another who just disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Grace Kelly - Retired at 26 when she married the Prince of Monaco.

Life goals

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Agrian Brian

I read an La Times Article online from 1992 where Judge Reinhold said he self-sabotaged his career by his behaviour after a flurry of 80's supporting role successes leading up to a lead role in 1988's Vice Versa. A cautionary tale.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-03-15-tv-6483-story.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Nick Stahl is one that immediately springs to mind, having seen him give some really great performances over the years in loads. I always thought he astonishing on the tv show Carnivale (which had a brilliant ensemble cast too). Sadly he had a lot of personal troubles that affected his career.

Amanda Bynes, as mentioned before, is another tragic story. So young and showed great promise as a comedic talent.

Advertisement