Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Compensatory growth will kick in on turnout compared to buying cattle that will have weight accumulated. By meal feeding in Feb/March and salt April.

You be hoping most yearlings would put 200-250 over the summer grazing season. But I be looking for hungry ones.

Are hungry ones available much anymore?
    Sometimes the hungry looking one could be bad genetics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Big difference in gain on cattle that come for sale that got a kg or less or cattle that got 3kgs. There is a lot of fellas still only giving a shake to cattle over the winter. Even cattle with poor genetics can often be value if the price is right. What is often the think to watch is there weight. Some of them can be a lean 300kgs+ at 12 months. Bought one a few years ago a full bull 350kgsbat 15 months for 350euro. Beef prices were over 4/kg. He liked 340DW at 27 months at O- grading was horribly hard on him at the time. He left over 900 euro gross in 14 months.

In case anyone thinks I spend the day looking at mart on-line I do not. If you open the mart and go to online mart you can open the cathelog and look at all the results for that day you can see the video's as well. At the start of the month ago I was watching a west of Ireland mart. A dairy lad had 5 bunches of HEX bulls hungry looking bunches 260-280 kgs. They sold from 450-530 euro. The last two bunches were the cheapest. The last bunch were by far the best bunch and made the least. There was 1-2 here and there that had JE genetics but most were straight enough. He bough too many on the one day, so limited customers. It was the wrong mart for them as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭morphy87

It varies depending on the ability of the animal genetic ability to gain weight. Continentals'. Can be hit and miss. April will see the highest priced period . Personally. If I had the means I be buying in late Jan/Feb and hold on silage only until turnout. Compensatory growth will kick in on turnout compared to buying cattle that will have weight accumulated. By meal feeding in Feb/March and salt April.
    I never get fixated on breeds or types I try to buy value. Over the last few weeks I have seen different cattles at value. In Castleisland a pair of nice HEX,s 375 kgs were bought for 750. You see a value in runners around the marts. I have seen nice friesians around 300 kgs bought for 450-520 euro. Saw a flaker 440kg friesian that would grade bought for around the 650 mark he was a lad that would grade.

You be hoping most yearlings would put 200-250 over the summer grazing season. But I be looking for hungry ones.

The cattle I would be buying wouldn’t be overdone,I’m not fond of buying stores full of meal

340 cull cows in Gortnalea today

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Agree on the hungry ones.very hard to find round our way anymore. Between silage being plentiful this many years & lads likings to drawing plenty of meal over the winter months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

340 cull cows in Gortnalea today
    What were prices like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

ruwithme wrote: »
    Agree on the hungry ones.very hard to find round our way anymore. Between silage being plentiful this many years & lads likings to drawing plenty of meal over the winter months.

I was at a special store heifer sale recently and I thought it was a great advertisement for what meal feeding can do. All pumped type forward stores that would fail if put to grass rather than thrive. Once upon a time you'd see lots of good raggy store cattle at this time of year that would turn inside out when they'd get to grass. Now there a rarity and make London for the few that are to be bought. Most sheds have a meal bin outside it now and there pumping meal into everything all winter long.

I was at a special store heifer sale recently and I thought it was a great advertisement for what meal feeding can do. All pumped type forward stores that would fail if put to grass rather than thrive. Once upon a time you'd see lots of good raggy store cattle at this time of year that would turn inside out when they'd get to grass. Now there a rarity and make London for the few that are to be bought. Most sheds have a meal bin outside it now and there pumping meal into everything all winter long.

Problem is it’s price per kg these days and with margins getting tight we’re possibly doing the wrong things to maximise any returns

Problem is it’s price per kg these days and with margins getting tight we’re possibly doing the wrong things to maximise any returns

With decent rations in bagged form @ 300/ton it is costing more to put on a kg of weight using ration than you will get paid for especially with Dr, AA and Hereford's. At 3kgs/ day these cattle are using 2 kgs of ration to replace 2 kgs of silage DM.

Slava Ukrainii

Perhaps although usually the lighter the stock the higher the price per kilo and any proper stores I see usually make as much or near it as there fleshy equivalent. I never understood giving circa €2.50 a kilo for pumped stores for them to horse off 30-50kgs of it when they went to grass. It then takes the first 6 weeks post turnout to get back to where they were on sale day.

Granted some lad's love buying weanlings or stores with the steam coming off them with feeding but it's definitely not for me. I see similar stock in different yards each year that get varying degrees of feeding over the winter. There's usually a variation in them this time of the year but by July if turned out on a good run there all fairly similar imo. The fleshy one's melt for the first month where as the storey one's thrive. I see lot's of lad's who meal feed the cow's from calving to weaning, creep the calves and throw meal to everything else for the biggest part of the year and complain then about cost of production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

We've 2 smallish limousin heifers that a neighbours AA bull had his way with. They'll be calving at 23/24 months old, circa end of April.

Not going to keep them because they're after our stock bull who's staying.

What do ye think be best? Sell with calves at foot or sell in calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

trg wrote: »
    We've 2 smallish limousin heifers that a neighbours AA bull had his way with. They'll be calving at 23/24 months old, circa end of April.

Really depends on what you want. They will obviously make more with the calf at foot. End of April is a bit late for suckler calving so they might be hard enough to sell as Springers now especially if you say they’re on the small side.

Calving them will give you a better return but you’re carrying the risk of calving them.

If they were mine I have injected them when I found out if they were less than six months. Now in a way they are neither here nor there. Too late calving and having AA calves as well as being too small. What were you going to do with them orginally

Slava Ukrainii

Seeing as you've held out this long I'd keep them until there springing down and then show them. Trying to sell any incalf that's a few month's off calving is hit and miss as there neither one thing or another. Wait until there a week or 2 off it and they might appeal to someone who wants a springer at lesser money. I often see cows with calves at foot making almost the same price as springers so I wouldn't bother calving them seeing as you've decided to sell them. You're lucky it was the AA that caught them as they should calve ok compared to any other breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Seeing as you've held out this long I'd keep them until there springing down and then show them. Trying to sell any incalf that's a few month's off calving is hit and miss as there neither one thing or another. Wait until there a week or 2 off it and they might appeal to someone who wants a springer at lesser money. I often see cows with calves at foot making almost the same price as springers so I wouldn't bother calving them seeing as you've decided to sell them. You're lucky it was the AA that caught them as they should calve ok compared to any other breed.

Very lucky definitely, and they're the smallest heifers as well.

We'll hang onto them until near calving so and see is there someone for them. Taking the risk of calving would be chance I'd take too I think as its AA bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Base price wrote: »
    What were prices like.

Was there yesterday.
    It's like a compitition as to who wants to work for the least amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

looked at some of Castleisland today any nice heifers 350 to 450kgs were a real good trade I guess the grassmen are out testing the water.

Probably better value in the heavier animals I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭leoch

watched local mart here on saturday and any middeling heifer 300/350kgs was 900 +euro serious trade ......grazing cattle going to be very dear this year as ur bidding against everyone with this online bidding crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

It's only the best of last years calves making that, take the cost of keeping a cow for a year and the cost of feeding the calf since October out of it and there's not much left. There's some amount of effort and money gone into producing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The old story. Lads buying think they are dear. Lads selling think they're hardly covering costs. The beauty of the mart.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

The old story. Lads buying think they are dear. Lads selling think they're hardly covering costs. The beauty of the mart.

That's always the case in my experience, it's the same thing with lads standing ringside. The man in the box selling accuses them of claiming cattle and keeping down the price where as farmers on the steps buying accuse the same men of polling them and trying to intimide them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Any one see Simmental heifers going through a ring, 475kgs, nice framed ones.

That's always the case in my experience, it's the same thing with lads standing ringside. The man in the box selling accuses them of claiming cattle and keeping down the price where as farmers on the steps buying accuse the same men of polling them and trying to intimide them.

That's why the marts will always be there. Everyone is equally unhappy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Personally I'd keep her & be strict on her diet, hay & minerals for at least 6 weeks before calving, so from now on basically. Then oats for fortnight before calving.
    Got caught before with a 22month old calving down to a ch from next door, calved herself with no issues. So I used an easy calving CH on another heifer calving under 2yrs again & she had no issues either.
    Yours is actually bigger than my two were so I'd definitely try her for calving.

Being forewarned & forearmed for a larger bull makes it easier too. Just my opinion, know lots would say sell her.

Edit to add- what's the heifers dam like for calving? Usually go by that here, along with the heifer's frame.

Thanks for replies all, I have her out in a paddock for a bit of exercise and have her on hay only from now on - she is due end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 salmonorcod

We sold a group of chx bullocks yesterday 550 to 650kg averaged 2.48 across the group. Seems to be a serious demand for shapey stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I got 1700 euro for a lm cow 850kg in the mart. Very happy with it. Only bought her in 2019 with a calf at foot and back in calf for €2200. Her calf (now heifer) has since had a pedigree zag calf.

Eventually got my 2 lame cows off to the mart. Both walking fine.
    One 2004 old lady, 655 kg made €960. She was a dinger of a cow. Bought her way back in 2006 as an in-calf heifer and she had a calf every year since. Would have gone in- calf again too, but she was starting to get feeble .
    The other one 690kg €1450. She was fleshy enough, but may have gone on for further feeding.

Eventually got my 2 lame cows off to the mart. Both walking fine.
    One 2004 old lady, 655 kg made €960. She was a dinger of a cow. Bought her way back in 2006 as an in-calf heifer and she had a calf every year since. Would have gone in- calf again too, but she was starting to get feeble .
    The other one 690kg €1450. She was fleshy enough, but may have gone on for further feeding.
    Well done
    Will you buy back or replace from within the herd?

Well done
    Will you buy back or replace from within the herd?

No, loads of pedigree heifers here now. My buying in days are over, I think. When you get a run of heifers, you wouldn't feel the numbers building up.

No, loads of pedigree heifers here now. My buying in days are over, I think. When you get a run of heifers, you wouldn't feel the numbers building up.

Nothing like breeding your own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I see cork marts have 2 new managers for bandon and Skibbereen .The man in bandon only knows sheep and the lad in skib is still wet behind the ears and would not know the head from the ass of a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

I see cork marts have 2 new managers for bandon and Skibbereen .The man in bandon only knows sheep and the lad in skib is still wet behind the ears and would not know the head from the ass of a beast.

Do you have names Butcher Boy?

Do you have names Butcher Boy?
    Dennehy for bandon Odonoghue for skib youg auctioneer selling the calves,

Dennehy for bandon Odonoghue for skib youg auctioneer selling the calves,

Donoghue isn't the worst to be fair.

Dennehy is the ifa sheep fella.

DukeCaboom wrote: »

ya but do you think that he will farmers back to skib he is only a young lad with no farming backround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

I have seen Donoghue auctioneering, he tries in fairness. I just hope he is able step up to that role. Everyone deserves a chance so hopefully it will work out for him.
    Never seen or heard Bandon guy so wish him well.
    On the rag, I see they are both reporting to Jonathan.... In his new Cork marts role also.

grange mac wrote: »
    I have seen Donoghue auctioneering, he tries in fairness. I just hope he is able step up to that role. Everyone deserves a chance so hopefully it will work out for him.
    On the rag, I see they are both reporting to Jonathan.... In his new Cork marts role also.

Ya that's right, pity they couldn't clone Sean leahy and send him down to Bandon.

Ya that's right, pity they couldn't clone Sean leahy and send him down to Bandon.

He is an excellent auctioneer...few lessons from him would be very helpful.
    They have to hit the ground running as the "KerryMan" is on a mission to shut them down....

He is an excellent auctioneer...few lessons from him would be very helpful.
    They have to hit the ground running as the "KerryMan" is on a mission to shut them down....

He already has, more calves in gortatlea Monday than Bandon.
    The dream team from Castleisland are doing some hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Donoghue is sound as a pound!
    By Jonathon do you mean the Cahir man? He was an awful loss as an auctioneer in Bandon. Really pushed the money out of lads! Great for the seller and the Small buyer

• Advertisement

The problem is that motty have all the lorry men sourcing stock for him . between dunmanway and bantry he had 250 calves out of there Monday.They should be all going down to Skibbereen.

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Donoghue is sound as a pound!
    By Jonathon do you mean the Cahir man? He was an awful loss as an auctioneer in Bandon. Really pushed the money out of lads! Great for the seller and the Small buyer
    He is a sound man but again knows nothing about cattle.and there lies the problem.

The problem is that motty have all the lorry men sourcing stock for him . between dunmanway and bantry he had 250 calves out of there Monday.They should be all going down to Skibbereen.

I cannot see where with better quality calves that would pay. Its unlikely that farmers buyers will travel.that distance. Ya for the export quality Friesian it may be more beneficial but you would expect that farmers calves would do better in Bandon or going east or North as opposed to Castleisland/Tralee

Slava Ukrainii

That's it, he has a lorry from Castletownbere, skibbereen, durrus and Kealkil. They are only the ones I know of so he probably has more.

I hope Cork Marts have a plan to counter this as if not then I would have concerns as that will lead more of the bigger animals there eventually on his other Mart days.

But we all know he has some of the buyers who were previously with Cork marts so prices will be strong there.

Monday should be ok for prices again as just seen 2 of Hallissys attics enroute back to kerry l. I assume they were carrying calves to the boats today.

That's it, he has a lorry from Castletownbere, skibbereen, durrus and Kealkil. They are only the ones I know of so he probably has more.

I hope Cork Marts have a plan to counter this as if not then I would have concerns as that will lead more of the bigger animals there eventually on his other Mart days.

But we all know he has some of the buyers who were previously with Cork marts so prices will be strong there.

Monday should be ok for prices again as just seen 2 of Hallissys attics enroute back to kerry l. I assume they were carrying calves to the boats today.
    And three lorrys out of Dunmanway not to mention the lads that are drawing out of the east and north of the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Sat mart in Macroom draws from a very wide area as it suits part time sellers and buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mf 265

Sold 3 ch heifers today. 510kgs 1190,520 1310,550 kgs1350.

A young girl starting off took 6 cattle to macroom today 4 blks 2 heifers blks sold well and one of the heifers sold bad a real nice hf 305 kgs 520 ,mart rang her about the price of the blks but no one rang about the heifers .she was following them on he phone so she went in to bring her heifer home went in to the office and was told the heifer was sold and gone .she went out and found her heifer still in the pen went back in and your man would not still give her the heifer things got hot between them and her father was with her and they took the heifer anyway but the prick in the mart would not give them the card. this girl is only 19 years and fair play to her she is some stuff. I am only waiting for Monday morning to come to go in and get the card with her. this will tell you about cork marts shower of ****ers no wonder lads are passing by going down to kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Murang

A young girl starting off took 6 cattle to macroom today 4 blks 2 heifers blks sold well and one of the heifers sold bad a real nice hf 305 kgs 520 ,mart rang her about the price of the blks but no one rang about the heifers .she was following them on he phone so she went in to bring her heifer home went in to the office and was told the heifer was sold and gone .she went out and found her heifer still in the pen went back in and your man would not still give her the heifer things got hot between them and her father was with her and they took the heifer anyway but the prick in the mart would not give them the card. this girl is only 19 years and fair play to her she is some stuff. I am only waiting for Monday morning to come to go in and get the card with her. this will tell you about cork marts shower of ****ers no wonder lads are passing by going down to kerry.
    That says it all about cork marts doing everything to help some buyers and treating sellers like second hand people

• Advertisement

Let us know how she gets on. That sort Messing won't do them any good. Good thing she was able stand up after being wronged otherwise she would have been railroaded.

Advertisement