Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Another article in a national newspaper complaining about the plight of women:
    Margaret E Ward: Irish media has a problem with women
    Women make up fewer than one-third of Irish media professionals, even less at top level. How can the industry report on society if it doesn’t reflect it, asks Margaret E Ward
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40226234.html

It ends:
    Based on a submission to the Future of Media Commission by the Equality Expert Group (EEG), a collective of experts drawn from a variety of fields, public and private, seeking to support equality and diversity in Irish social, economic and cultural life. Current founding members of the EEG include Carol Hunt, Áine Kerr, Dearbhail McDonald, Jillian van Turnhout, Noelle O’Connell and Margaret E. Ward. EqualityExpert@gmail.com #EqualityExpertMedia
    Though women are not in the title it looks effectively like it is another group for women.

iptba wrote: »
    I was just listening to a repeat of Lunchtime Live on Newstalk today and a woman talked about her husband having an affair.
    I have come across a lot of women who will badmouth their exes publicly.
    Men seem to me to be on average more reluctant.

I think this could lead to a skewed view of men and women in relationships where people pick up that men behave much worse in relationships than women on average.

To be fair, that perception already exists within most cultures. That men play around while the good wife is waiting at home with the kids.

There's little conversation about the range of women who simply left home, leaving husband and kids behind, disappearing into society.. which has happened throughout history in many countries. Nor do we, as a society, recognise the cheating done by women, and often will seek to downplay it, giving excuses/reasons for them doing so.

The double standard already exists.. and has for a long time. Which is, reasonable in a historical context, due to the place women had in society, where their behavior was much less public, whereas mens lives were. All the same, that culture is gone.

But I don't believe we're going to see much honesty, and openness about women cheating, as much, as men.

Margaret E Ward: Irish media has a problem with women
    Women make up fewer than one-third of Irish media professionals, even less at top level. How can the industry report on society if it doesn’t reflect it, asks Margaret E Ward

Well... if inequality in employment is as common as these groups want to make out it to be, then the lack of women in such roles, would reflect society. :pac:

Although I don't believe it for a second.. There is far too much selective reporting and convenient categorization of roles, with the aim of plugging their movements agenda.

Equality has been in Ireland decades now, with the weapons available for those who are discriminated against. I expect all these organisations are now laying a smokescreen to hide that women probably are over-represented in most roles.

I was just listening to a repeat of Lunchtime Live on Newstalk today and a woman talked about her husband having an affair.
    I have come across a lot of women who will badmouth their exes publicly.
    Men seem to me to be on average more reluctant.

I think this could lead to a skewed view of men and women in relationships where people pick up that men behave much worse in relationships than women on average.
    I’m not sure I was clear enough that I wasn’t just talking about affairs. For example, when people develop chronic illnesses including those that leave someone unable to work much if at all marriages and relationships often break up. Women later will bad mouth their partner publicly; it is my impression men do this less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

But I don't believe we're going to see much honesty, and openness about women cheating, as much, as men.

They always blame the man for them cheating. Or if they don't say it themselves there are other women that step in to blame him.

The first time I came across this was when we started getting those american talk shows, Ricky Lake etc. I know they are pantomime but anytime they had a cheating woman on it was, "well if you were a real man, I wouldn't have to cheat". At times he was to blame because of his job, he worked long hours (to pay bills and mortgage) so because he was away most of the day she simply had to go next door and get attention of the neighbour. And of course penis size and sexual performance etc was blamed.

Now I know the above is mostly silly american talk shows but I've often seen it portrayed as "well he must be doing something wrong for her to cheat". As opposed to the drastically different view when a man does.

• Advertisement

In case anyone wants this piece of data:
    "men have lost 45% more life years than women".
    From a new research paper:
    Years of life lost to COVID-19 in 81 countries
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-83040-3

A Gender Policy Council That's Sexist … and Racist? | Opinion
    WARREN FARRELL , AUTHOR
    ON 2/15/21 AT 6:00 AM EST
    https://www.newsweek.com/gender-policy-council-thats-sexist-racist-opinion-1568940
    By creating a council for "gender policy" rather than a council for "women," Biden seemed to be heeding the warning embodied in Betty Friedan's The Second Stage: The liberation of women will plateau if attention to men's issues does not follow.

The Gender Policy Council's mission is to help only women and girls. Boys are left out. Fathers are left out. Men are left out. Even transgender people and gays are left out—if they are male.

For what it's worth, from today's paper:
    He [the incoming president] announced a significant policy initiative in his first hour in office with the nomination of a female member for each of the GAA’s statutory committees.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/duignan-calls-for-equity-in-clash-over-gaa-funding-40139530.html

Just listening to a discussion on NewsTalk on assisted reproduction. Since last year there is legislation that there is no anonymous sperm or egg donation. All children conceived in this way when they get their birth certificate aged 18 plus will be told their genetic background (in other countries it was pointed out this info is available before that).

Then it was pointed out that we learned from adoption practices in the past how important it is for people to know their genetic make-up.

However it doesn’t seem to get mentioned that the supposed genetic father is not always the real genetic father. This could easily and relatively cheaply be checked at birth but isn’t.

Also blocks can be put in a man’s way to find out the truth. A man needs other people’s or the court’s permission to get this info.

So not alone do people not know their genetic history, they can have the wrong info. People could even end up having children with a genetic relative including a half sibling.

(With International Women's Day coming up, I thought I would clear out my existing list before it gets too long)

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

Also following clearing out cookies and the like from my desktop, I am no longer automatically shown trending hashtags, but instead a variety of items (I can click on to see trending hashtags, but only do that a few times a day). So I'll probably be highlighting a variety of trending topics and hashtags from now on

I'm also including single gender groups.
    ---
    #MeToo

Meetings with women 'take so much time,' says Tokyo Olympics chief

#JusticeForJohnnyDepp

"A heart surgeon challenged some myths about the gender pay gap in medicine"
    "In a Thread, Australian heart and lung transplant surgeon @drnikkistamp
    compared the gender pay gap among medical professionals across different countries, challenging common myths and offering a few potential solutions to close the gap."
    [Comment: this was by a feminist. As one person highlighted, it was odd to see a thread highlighted by Twitter in this way. My guess is they wouldn't have highlighted it if the person was challenging the gender pay gap]

Bloomberg Opinion
    Women can be the architects of the post-COVID world

How a 22-year-old woman helped bring down the Tokyo Olympics chief
    In less than two weeks, Momoko Nojo's #DontBeSilent campaign organized with other activists gathered more than 150,000 signatures, galvanizing global outrage against Yoshiro Mori, the former president of Tokyo 2020 who resigned last week.Video via @Reuters

Groups for men and women I came across:
    WiSTEM Society UCC
    @wistemucc

Supporting women to achieve their full potential and promoting gender diversity in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths #UCC #WiSTEM

Irish Society for Women in Economics

We are the Irish Women’s Lobby – a new coalition of organisations and women living in Ireland who’ve come together to provide media and political representation for our own rights.

www.irishwomenslobby.ie

Disabled Women Ireland

British Federation of Women Graduates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What exactly is a woman?

For what it is worth:
    He was soon moved to drive time but two years ago was moved once more to the coveted morning slot where he presented the Breakfast Show with Doireann Garrihy. Together they formed a partnership that saw them picking up the ‘Best Breakfast Show’ award at last year’s IMROs.

[..]

Up until now McDermott was the only male voice on RTÉ's 2FM from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday with the likes of Jennifer Zamparelli, Tracey Clifford and Jenny Green all having successful slots already.
    https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/shock-as-eoghan-mcdermott-to-part-ways-with-rtes-2fm-after-six-years-40151729.html

I thought this was an interesting article and discussion underneath
    ‘My husband is unemployed. Where will he go if I leave him for my business partner?’

Tell Me About It: ‘He’s not the man I married: he lacks ambition and takes money from me’

about 21 hours ago
    Trish Murphy
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/my-husband-is-unemployed-where-will-he-go-if-i-leave-him-for-my-business-partner-1.4491819

I think the advice that she should share with her husband her feelings that she won't be happy if he doesn't get a job rather than simply separating straightaway seem sensible in this case. One or more people underneath point out that some women they know have separated from men without communicating with them that they were unhappy.

Over 60pc of women aged under 25 in workforce are unemployed
    Latest CSO figures reveal one in four of the population are currently out of work
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/over-60pc-of-women-aged-under-25-in-workforce-are-unemployed-40156470.html
    The latest official estimate of the unemployment rate for women aged between 15 and 24, that includes those on the Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP), reached 61pc last month.
    It is higher than the rate for men in this age group, which stands at 52.8pc.
    When it comes to the over 25s, a higher portion of the male workforce is unemployed.

The unemployment rate for men is 22.4pc compared with 19.5pc for women.
    Given that there would be a lot more people in the over 25's category than in the 15-24 category who are eligible for unemployment payments (many in education wouldn't be), the percentages for the overall workforce are probably pretty similar.

But that's not the impression given from the article which has lots of comments from the National Women's Council.

National Women's Council... they're going to promote feminism, not equality.

Just as there isn't a National Men's Council... and no demands for it's creation. These groups are never about establishing parity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

National Women's Council... they're going to promote feminism, not equality.

Just as there isn't a National Men's Council... and no demands for it's creation. These groups are never about establishing parity.

I think lots of people would like to see a mens council set up.
    I agree these things are not about equality but it would be a start at least to having mens issues heard .

There would be no difference between an equality could xil and the woman's council if it was set up that way now. Far to biased people running these things to want equality.

Hopefully when the push back against modern feminism happens or gets going that we can set up an un biased system that tries to even out the in equalities that are there

Hopefully when the push back against modern feminism happens or gets going that we can set up an un biased system that tries to even out the in equalities that are there

https://youtu.be/ABJOhoRBpiE

It's a vid covering a range of issues, but mostly relates to Denmark, where men are being pushed into second class citizens, with extreme favoritism towards women in all areas such as work quotas, court sentencing, child support etc. Which is present in the US, UK, and the Scandinavian countries. And... likely will happen here too.

In terms of feminism, and it's effects on people's rights, we haven't reached any kind of curve yet. It's going to become far more unequal against men across all western nations before it starts to get better... and TBH I have my doubts that it will improve. I've spent time with various mens rights groups, and there is a decided lack of support and drive within the movements. Little cohesion, making them limited support groups, or just places to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I think the advice that she should share with her husband her feelings that she won't be happy if he doesn't get a job rather than simply separating straightaway seem sensible in this case. One or more people underneath point out that some women they know have separated from men without communicating with them that they were unhappy.

Paywalled so I couldn't read much of the article but what strikes me is the presumption in the title of the article ‘My husband is unemployed. Where will he go if I leave him for my business partner?’ Why should he go anywhere?

If the shoe was on the other foot and a husband was quoted as saying 'My wife is unemployed. Where will she go if I leave her for my business partner?' ...'My wife is a good woman, she helps around the house, is great with the children and generally very supportive of me and my ventures (business or work). I believe she loves me or at least that she believes she loves me and I love her a lot too.'. the husband would be torn to shreds.

I haven't watched this and doubt I will so I'm not in a good position to comment on it except that I'm not sure there would be a similar mainstream film made at the moment about boys dismantling feminist influences or the "matriarchy" in a school:
    Movie Reviews: Schoolgirl sets about dismantling the patriarchy in Moxie
    Girls subjected to sexist ratings, more stringent dress codes, and encouraged to laugh off threatening male behaviour
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40236275.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭anewme

CageWager wrote: »
    Sadly, Boko Haram have kidnapped 300 schoolboys in Nigeria. It'll be interesting to compare and contrast the volume of outrage from when the same group kidnapped 276 schoolgirls in 2014 leading to Michelle Obama's #BringBackOurGirls campaign including the first lady taking over the weekly presidential radio address to highlight the situation.

I really hope every world leader and celebrity who jumped on that bandwagon will support these poor young lads with EQUAL vigor but somehow I don't think #BringBackOurBoys has same ring to it in 2020.

On an interesting sidenote, the RTE headline is "Boko Haram claims kidnapping of hundreds of Nigerian students". I assume if the genders were reversed the fact that girls were abducted would be the main selling point.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/1215/1184474-nigeria-kidnap-children/

Shameful post.

Also shameful that it's still here and not reported by anyone.

These are just little children ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

anewme wrote: »
    Shameful post.

what shamefull about it.

why would it be reported.

yes they are children but the fact stands that when they were girls that was the main point of the media coverage along will all the hashtags about girls.
    but when its boys. no gendered hashtags and a lot less outrage about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

anewme wrote: »
    Shameful post.

So shameful you didn't report it yourself.

It's a perfectly valid point to make and it will be interesting to see if indeed the campaigns and hashtags kick off like they did before when it wasn't reported as "students". I'll not hold my breath though as before the girls were kidnapped there was no wider world outcry. The terror group came in, rounded up the men and boys and killed them and sent the girls home away from all this education nonsense. It's only when they changed tactics that the outrage kicked off

Non gendered terms like students and civilians are a general indicator in media that they're speaking of boys and men, or a general mass of people. When it's specifically women and girls involved it's far more likely to be clearly defined.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I haven't watched this and doubt I will so I'm not in a good position to comment on it except that I'm not sure there would be a similar mainstream film made at the moment about boys dismantling feminist influences or the "matriarchy" in a school:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40236275.html
    I watched it and it was pretty thin tbh. There are some good points in it (the sports scholarship being handed to the - frankly cartoon villain - captain of the under-performing American Football team by a local businessman who once occupied the same position in the school over the more deserving captain of the girl's soccer team), a nice call out of the lead (a middle-class white girl inspired by her mother's feminism but who actually experiences very little sexism throughout) by one of her friends but the large parts of the plot could have been lifted from the sub-reddit "r/thathappened" and there's one incredibly uncomfortable scene where the girls bully a teacher whose only crime is being in the no-win position of a teacher being filmed by students seeking to make him an example of the "patriarchy".

There's a total lack of accountability for the consequences of some of the girls actions which I found rather irritating. There are some funny lines, Poehler is the best thing about it (but is still a far better stand-up than actress imo) but ultimately it's a fluff piece intended to recruit the next generation of young women to the modern-day religion of feminism.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I watched it and it was pretty thin tbh. There are some good points in it (the sports scholarship being handed to the - frankly cartoon villain - captain of the under-performing American Football team by a local businessman who once occupied the same position in the school over the more deserving captain of the girl's soccer team), a nice call out of the lead (a middle-class white girl inspired by her mother's feminism but who actually experiences very little sexism throughout) by one of her friends but the large parts of the plot could have been lifted from the sub-reddit "r/thathappened" and there's one incredibly uncomfortable scene where the girls bully a teacher whose only crime is being in the no-win position of a teacher being filmed by students seeking to make him an example of the "patriarchy".

There's a total lack of accountability for the consequences of some of the girls actions which I found rather irritating. There are some funny lines, Poehler is the best thing about it (but is still a far better stand-up than actress imo) but ultimately it's a fluff piece intended to recruit the next generation of young women to the modern-day religion of feminism.
    The impression I’ve picked up from the US is that there are a lot more scholarships schemes and places that are women-only than men-only in US universities.

The impression I’ve picked up from the US is that there are a lot more scholarships schemes and places that are women-only than men-only in US universities.

Are there any male-only scholarships apart from sports such as American football? (I've never heard of any female type american football leagues/games)

Whereas there are a huge range of supports/scholarships focused on the female gender.

For what it is worth:
    He was soon moved to drive time but two years ago was moved once more to the coveted morning slot where he presented the Breakfast Show with Doireann Garrihy. Together they formed a partnership that saw them picking up the ‘Best Breakfast Show’ award at last year’s IMROs.

[..]

Up until now McDermott was the only male voice on RTÉ's 2FM from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday with the likes of Jennifer Zamparelli, Tracey Clifford and Jenny Green all having successful slots already.
    https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/shock-as-eoghan-mcdermott-to-part-ways-with-rtes-2fm-after-six-years-40151729.html
    https://twitter.com/last_call12/status/1368913610550968321?s=20
    https://twitter.com/cosainireland/status/1367145458578128896?s=20
    Eoghan McDermott: Men shouldn't be afraid to speak up about people like Weinstein
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2017/1020/914008-eoghan-mcdermott-on-harvey-weinstein/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 UcdLaw22

https://youtu.be/ABJOhoRBpiE

It's a vid covering a range of issues, but mostly relates to Denmark, where men are being pushed into second class citizens, with extreme favoritism towards women in all areas such as work quotas, court sentencing, child support etc. Which is present in the US, UK, and the Scandinavian countries. And... likely will happen here too.

I watched all 26 minutes of this video and am I the only one who thinks it is a bit…yikes? Seems as divisive and factually incorrect as any extreme feminist piece (or *womanism* as Joker likes to say).

He firstly uses a Daily Mail article and two random tweets to give examples of “typical” female behaviour, i.e., tricking men into raising children that are not theirs and leaving good men for drug dealers. Just the normal womanly things we do for fun when we have run out of things to watch on Netflix.

Example 1: Daily Mail article about a father who raised a child that wasn’t biologically his– he never questioned the paternity of the child despite the child being black (he and the mother were white).

I mean fair enough, this is something that could only ever happen to a man (for obvious reasons) and completely agree with Joker that the actual biological father of the child should have been told when she was born. However, I am not sure how anyone would not have questioned the paternity of a child that is visibly a different race to him and his partner. In the article, the woman (the grown up child) says that she caught her “father” ticking a “rather not say” box for her race on the signup form for her swimming lessons as a child and when she asked him why he did that, he got flustered and said it was because it was no one’s business. He also agreed to a give her a DNA sample on his death bed. Seems like someone who made a conscious decision to accept his wife’s infidelity and knew that he was raising a child that wasn’t biologically his, rather than being duped.

Example 2: A random tweet that says: “Dated this guy for 7 months and today he asked me why I don’t have a boyfriend”.

In relation to this tweet, Joker says that women “should secure the relationship before you try to secure the bedroom, or he may never actually consider that you’re serious or committed and he might look at you as a plaything”. I think it’s good advice for both men and women to clarify that they are on the same page romantically but a huge amount of relationships just happen organically. In this tweet (if it even happened) there’s no evidence that the guy in question would ever have been her boyfriend even if she had waited for months to have sex with him but Joker is of the view that essentially, it’s her fault because she let him lose respect for her. Seems like a fairly unhealthy mindset to me and nothing really do with men’s rights?

Example 3: He then gives an example of another tweet (spelling mistakes included): “Four years ago I had the best bf ever that did anything to make me happy, my momma loved him, everything. He bought me the cutest puppy and I left him for a ****in cheating ass drug dealer with 4 kids. Nursury retrograde rlly be ****in **** up”

I am not sure what nursury retrograde means…think she might have been trying to refer to mercury in retrograde haha. Joker says that these are “the women you will come across in dating” and “you can be a “a great man to a woman…but it’s that bad boy gene, they can smell the bad boy”. I mean, I’d make the point that someone who gets involved with a drug dealer usually has substance abuse issues themselves. Most women don’t leave their boyfriends for drug dealers. I googled the tweet and she is a woman from Florida who is highly active in tweeting outrageous statements in order to promote her OnlyFans. I fail to see how she represents the average woman.

Example 4: A video of a girl on a train trying to check her boyfriend’s messages on his smart watch while he is asleep.
    Joker says “dude” in a disapproving manner but right before this he said that he caught a previous girlfriend of his cheating the same way when she left her smart watch in his living room so I’m not really getting his point here – it’s okay for men to invade their girlfriends’ privacy but not the other way around?

With the exception of the Daily Mail article concerning being duped into raising a child that isn’t biologically yours, I really don’t see how the above tweets have anything to do with men’s rights? If his point is that sometimes women are awful, then that’s true but awfulness isn’t limited by gender. There’s also the fact that the tweets of two women can’t be used as evidence of the inherent flaws of an entire gender. Would equivalent tweets by two men be evidence of the awfulness of the entire male population? Social media has meant that there is an endless supply of posts, videos and tweets to cast both women and men in a negative light.

For his claims about Denmark, he largely relies on a blog post by a random Danish man.
    Claim 1: Denmark has fallen to “womanism” and as a result of this “gender infirmity”, Denmark’s birth rates and population growth have plummeted. He further claims that countries that aren’t falling into feminist tropes are not having problems with their birth rates.

This falling birth rate is in no way exclusive to Denmark. Greater economic development and lower fertility rates often go hand in hand. The low birth rate is not related to MGTOW and men refusing to sleep with women because of evil feminists – it’s largely due to an aging population and couples waiting longer to have children. There are also several Eastern European states, which could not be in any way said to be “feminist” countries, that are struggling with a declining birth rate. Hungary's Prime Minister announced plans for free fertility treatment to couples while Putin has pledged state funding for new mothers, both incentives to stimulate the birth-rate.

Claim 2: Men’s sperm count is dropping

Yeah, this is true.

Claim 3: Girl power advocates have given immunity to women from civility and a licence to openly hate and ridicule men. The man in the blog post says it is not uncommon for women to sit on a bus and openly point to men and say how unattractive they are.

I spent my Erasmus in Copenhagen – it was a few years ago but I find this an incredibly bizarre statement. Most men and women there seemed to have gotten on completely fine – friendship wise and in dating. There certainly weren’t groups of women laughing about how unattractive men were on buses. Comes across like that Louise O’Neill article where she wonders if her grandfather hates her because of a random alleged college group chat.

Claim 4: The Danish legal system is set up in way so that once a woman is impregnated, the man is disposable in a divorce and the man’s role as a donor is further degraded by requiring him to pay for his child for the rest of his life so that the woman may enjoy her fulfilment as a modern womanist.

I don’t have any knowledge about the family law system in Denmark but there is no automatic duty for a man to pay child maintenance in the event of a divorce. Where the parents do not live together, the parent with whom the child does not live is still required to support the child financially (not gender dependent). In Denmark, the amount of maintenance is actually determined by a written agreement between the parents, and, if they are unable to reach an agreement, the Agency of Family Law will determine the level of child support required. Child support consists of three parts: a set basic amount, a fixed supplement, and an additional supplement depending on the gross income of the parent concerned and the number of children.

It actually appears to be one of the fairer maintenance systems comparatively – it’s not largely based on the income of the payer and is more focused on the idea that the money paid should be half the living costs and expenses of the child.
    There could absolutely be unfairness and discrimination towards men in the family system in Denmark but that specific statement is incorrect.

Claim 5: There are quotas in Denmark for women

Unlike other Scandinavian countries, there are actually no legislated quotas in Denmark. The Danish government is opposed to it. Targets were introduced in 2013 for some of the largest Danish companies and state institutions – they have to set aims for how many women they want to have in management, and they must develop plans for how to get more women into leadership in general. However, these targets (while they may be criticised) aren’t legally binding and they are not duty-bound to increase the number of women. There are no sanctions if companies fail to live up to their goals. The idea is that because companies are asked to highlight what they are doing to further gender equality, those who do nothing will be exposed and this will motivate more to take action to get more women into leadership positions. The fact that quotas are still a topic of debate in Denmark due to low representation of women in boardrooms would indicate that peer pressure from these targets are not forcing companies to increase numbers of women.

It is also interesting that around the time the targets were introduced, the Danish government presented an action plan for gender equality which highlights how the welfare society in several areas did not meet the needs of boys and men, noting that men have lower education, suffer from more lifestyle illnesses and struggle more during a divorce or if their spouse dies. The then Minister for Gender Equality, Manu Sareen, stated that “For many years the focus of our gender equality debates have been about key issues like equal pay and more women in leadership positions. This is also important. But for me gender equality is basically about the everyday opportunities faced by women and men, girls and boys.” He further stated that he wanted to use to new strategy to stimulate the public sector to think more about gender in their services - for instance by targeting activation measures either towards men or women or to do something extra to get boys into education, because they fall out of the education system more often than girls.

I couldn’t find if such measures for boys in education were ever followed up on or not – if not, this would definitely be a fair criticism.

Claim 6: Only 20% of Danish men are active in the dating pool.

Joker states that this supports the 80/20 principle (hypergamy my old friend) but also says that the 80% of men who aren’t involved in dating in Denmark are refusing to participate because they have the power to be choosy and they want feminine, soft spoken attractive women and not feminists (so is it hypergamy or men’s choice?). He quotes the guy in the blog post who makes several generalisations about women (not just feminists) in Denmark, such as that they lack “human compassion”.
    Firstly, according to a poll, conducted by the YouGov-Cambridge Globalism Project of more than 25,000 people in 23 major countries, only a quarter of Danish women consider themselves feminists. This is in contrast to Sweden, where 46% do, and a smaller share even than in countries like Italy, Spain and the UK.

I found it hard to get precise statistics on this (lots of things behind paywalls) but Statistics Denmark reported in January that the proportion of single Danes had hit an all-time record of 37%. Statista Research Department has reported that according to a poll from 2018, 77% of single male respondents wanted a partner and that men aged 25 to 44 years showed the highest wish for a partner. This doesn’t suggest that 80% of Danish men are refraining from dating which would be an astronomical number. Again, the rising single rates don’t seem to be anything in particular to do with feminism either, more just young people waiting until they’re older before settling down.

Claim 7 - The Danish Government is trying to bribe men to sleep with women

Joker states that there is an ad (“an intense propaganda campaign”) that Danish feminist institutions undertook to try to beg men to inseminate women. He then says he couldn’t actually find the ones by these feminist institutions (right…) and instead provides a link to an ad by a Danish travel agency, Spies Rejser, who offered a "child-friendly holiday" and three years of baby supplies to anyone who could prove they conceived while on a vacation booked through the company. The Wikipedia entry for the ad states that it was a “tongue-in-cheek attempt to lure Danes to book holidays as a way to stop a purported population decline in Denmark. Despite the advertisements' obvious irony, it did actually result in an increase of the Danish birth rate.” So, a joke ad by a travel company aimed at increasing sales. Hardly the Danish government bribing the men of Denmark. And also, not a failure!

Joker doesn’t mention these but there have been some local campaigns in Copenhagen aimed at raising the birth rate – one campaign bizarrely called on people to think about their fertility; with slogans asking men if their sperm was “swimming too slowly?” and women if they had “counted their eggs today?”. Even these ads aren’t aimed at just men however – they are aimed at both men and women, and as referred to above, the low birth rate isn’t due to MGTOW in Denmark.

Joker proceeds to end the video by criticising a woman’s tinder page (not really sure of the relevance of this).
    I am in no way trying to undermine men’s rights or issues and there are obviously elements of truth to what Joker is saying (there is unfairness for men in family law, there is an increased pressure for companies to be seen to have more women in senior positions) but his rhetoric that Denmark is under some sort of feminist totalitarian control where men are laughed at on the street resulting in them going on a mass sex strike is frankly hysterical nonsense.

My qualms are just with this specific video and his extremely specific statements that to be honest seem to be underpinned by a dislike of women generally (I can’t see what other relevance there is in bringing in random women’s tweets and tinder profiles). If a similar video was posted in the Ladies Lounge that made mass generalisations about men backed up by plainly incorrect statements it would be ripped to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Wibbs wrote: »
    So shameful you didn't report it yourself.

I spotted it in March, it's there since December. I'm sure the Mods are well aware of it.

Fair enough. TBH, I watched the video and assumed it was accurate about Denmark. The generalisations, I dismissed as being the normal internet rubbish. I've since done some reading, and yup, there are discrepancies and inaccurate statements in the video. Although, then again, there are issues that he didn't raise at all.

" “There is no presumption of 50/50 custody, though that is what a lot of middle class parents will agree on. If the parents are unmarried, first of all, the single mother automatically gets custody. For married couples traditionally it is the mother who has been taking care of the children and spending more time with the children. Very few fathers take paternity leave though it is available to them. Partly this is because mothers do not allow the fathers to take it and partly because the fathers don’t want to. A custody dispute will be decided by the court based on the psychologist’s report, which is seriously flawed due to the limited time that the psychologist spends with the parents and children. Courts are also starting to take the children's’ preferences into account when children are as young as 6 or 7. That has its own problems because a parent can bribe a child.”"

"What if the parents who wins the kids has a high income? Can a person who makes $1 million per year collect an additional $8000 per year in child support payments? “Yes. The income of the custodial parent is not part of any of the calculations.”

How do people game the system? “It is mostly people with lower incomes who try to get extra money. Single parents get more money from the state for each child and therefore it is common for people to pretend not to be married to a second spouse. Mothers will accuse the father of being a child molester in order to get custody so that they can then collect both the state subsidies for single parents and child support from the father.” What if the father doesn’t have a job? “The state will pay on behalf of the father if the father cannot pay. The state pays for most of the consequences of failed marriages.”"

So, not as bad at the video described. Nor have I found reams of supporting sites promoting the same message as he did.
    If a similar video was posted in the Ladies Lounge that made mass generalisations about men backed up by plainly incorrect statements it would be ripped to shreds.

Would it? I've spent some time in the Ladies Lounge, and while you're correct that sometimes such claims are ripped apart, there's also periods where silence rules. As is what happened here.

This thread doesn't see much traffic. Not anymore.

• Advertisement

For somebody to rip a video to shreds, they would need to watch it. My guess is most people were like me and hadn't looked at the 26-minute video.

Advertisement