Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Special Report: ‘Need to change mindset’ as nearly 50% of dads don’t take parental leave

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40090217.html
    I haven't read this all but it contains some male bashing:
    Children's Minister Roderic O'Gorman said it was disappointing to see that paid benefits are not being taken up.

"I think we have more to do to change that mindset about the division of responsibility when it comes to caring for children.

"There's a societal element to all of this as well and that deeper question of who cares for children, and an approach that all of us and particularly men need to take, that we have an absolute responsibility in terms of caring for children. It has to be understood that it is a shared responsibility of parents," he said.
    It's not like these men are going on holidays during the time; it presumably means they are working. With the mother out of work, the finances of the family might be precarious.

This is a popular post on Twitter with over 13,000 likes that turned up in my feed
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752670759292929?s=20
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752671711334407?s=20
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752672747401216?s=20
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752674018275328?s=20

It is a pity if diagnoses are more likely to be missed in one gender.

But regard to the sexism claim, which presumably means sexism against females in this context, another way of looking at it is that a greater range of female activities are acceptable and seen as normal while people are quicker to label males/male behaviour as abnormal. Most of the time, most people would probably prefer to be seen as normal rather than abnormal or odd or weird or whatever.

Letter to the Editor: Innocent men were the victims in school leggings saga

WED, 02 DEC, 2020 - 10:44

If your correspondent, Joyce Fegan, is to be believed ‘Leggings saga — let’s stop blaming young people’ (Irish Examiner, November 28) the recent controversy in the Presentation College Carlow is yet another tale of female victimhood at the hands of the “liberal” media’s arch villain — the dreaded “man in authority”. I disagree with this interpretation of events.

At this stage it is clear nothing inappropriate or ambiguous was stated by staff to the girls of the school. However, on the basis of unsubstantiated rumours a story was propagated by some mainstream and social media outlets.

The story (which became worldwide news) suggested male teachers allowed themselves to be sexually distracted by female children in the school. It resulted in journalists, politicians, and ordinary people taking to the airwaves and social media.

Accusations were directed at the minority of men working in the school. It is impossible to overstate the awfulness of such a lie or the potentially life destroying effects it could have on innocent men.

In an effort to explain what truly happened the school’s principal, Ray Murray, spoke to the nation on the radio on Wednesday morning.

He clearly stated what was said to the girls of the school and why only girls were spoken to. There is no evidence to suggest he was lying or that the message was in any way ambiguous.

Yet Joyce Fegan seems unsatisfied with Mr Murray’s calm and reasoned response. She speaks disparagingly of his “15 minutes of fame” — as if he were an attention-seeker rather than an innocent man seeking to defend his staff against horrible accusations. She wonders (for no obvious reason) if it was “a case of messy messaging”.

In fact, she seems determined to do anything other than consider the possibility that Mr Murray handled the situation as best he could.

I accept that it is difficult to be completely balanced when discussing controversial issues upon which one has strong views.

However, to interpret an incident involving such terrible lies and accusations against innocent men as a tale of female victimhood suggests a view of the issue which is extremely imbalanced. Perhaps Ms Fegan would attempt a fairer and more balanced approach if she decides to write about this disturbing story again.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/yourview/arid-40129748.html

An Post narrows Gender Pay Gap to 1.41% in 2020
    1 December 2020

Action Plan reduces Gap to 1.41% and improves Gender Balance
    Gender action plan has seen emergence of new talent and specific expertise

https://www.anpost.com/Media-Centre/News/An-Post-narrows-Gender-Pay-Gap-to-1-41-in-2020

We will probably see a lot of companies making similar statements. A smaller pay gap doesn't necessarily mean less gender discrimination; in fact, it could mean more gender discrimination (against men).

Men wrongly perceive gender bias in Civil Service promotion – ESRI
    Research examines flexible working, promotions and training in Civil Service
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/men-wrongly-perceive-gender-bias-in-civil-service-promotion-esri-1.4424784

We rarely hear bodies make such statements about women's perceptions, i.e. "women wrongly perceive gender bias ..."
    On training and promotions, the report also detected a gender bias with women less likely to have participated in training compared with their male counterparts.

I imagine this probably wasn't down to discrimination, but more women not taking the initiative.
    Although both sexes felt equally encouraged to apply for positions, women were significantly less likely to have applied for a promotion in the two years prior to the survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

iptba wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/men-wrongly-perceive-gender-bias-in-civil-service-promotion-esri-1.4424784

We rarely hear bodies make such statements about women's perceptions, i.e. "women wrongly perceive gender bias ..."

I imagine this probably wasn't down to discrimination, but more women not taking the initiative.

a lot of women are happy with the basic low level jobs and dont want the stress and hassel of moving up the ladder. training is part of that .

a lot of women are happy with the basic low level jobs and dont want the stress and hassel of moving up the ladder. training is part of that .

Yes, but how can women not want the extra working hours (official and unofficial), the added stress, the extra responsibilities, etc all for marginally greater salaries, that increases their tax presence? There must be discrimination, bias or whatever, involved if women aren't signing up.. irrespective of the benefits of not doing so.

A lot of women understand that they can work the lower end jobs, be on flexible hours, or spend half their time at home and the remainder at work... all the while getting supports from the government for doing so. Isn't it grand for some?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I don't know if I should post this here, but I wrote this back in 2002. At the time I was in the family court but coming up to my case. Men weren't really getting a fair shake and it had me worried. Has it turned out the case ended up being more favorable to my children and me.

Twisted Tears

Children's the victim's
    Of a mother's hate
    More twisted tears
    A father's fate
    A mother's neglect
    Causes relentless pain
    More twisted tears
    For financial gain

Another day
    A mother lies
    More twisted tears
    A father cries
    Crisis councillor
    At children's cost
    More twisted tears
    A father's loss

Court looms
    A father's plight
    More twisted tears
    A custody fight
    Night and day
    When nobody cares
    More twisted tears
    A father's despair

Access denied
    Justice has lied
    More twisted tears
    A father died
    Children the victim's
    Of a mother's hate
    More twisted tears
    Sealed a father's fate

Sorry if its posted in the wrong thread,

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Kylta wrote: »

For me personally , I don't think there is a wrong thread for that.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Kylta wrote: »
    I don't know if I should post this here, but I wrote this back in 2002. At the time I was in the family court but coming up to my case. Men weren't really getting a fair shake and it had me worried. Has it turned out the case ended up being more favorable to my children and me.

Twisted Tears

Children's the victim's
    Of a mother's hate
    More twisted tears
    A father's fate
    A mother's neglect
    Causes relentless pain
    More twisted tears
    For financial gain

Another day
    A mother lies
    More twisted tears
    A father cries
    Crisis councillor
    At children's cost
    More twisted tears
    A father's loss

Court looms
    A father's plight
    More twisted tears
    A custody fight
    Night and day
    When nobody cares
    More twisted tears
    A father's despair

Access denied
    Justice has lied
    More twisted tears
    A father died
    Children the victim's
    Of a mother's hate
    More twisted tears
    Sealed a father's fate

Seems like it fits fine though a specific thread on fathers’ rights might be good and attract more posts on the topic than this general one has done.

Sorry to hear of the difficult times you went through.

• Advertisement

I was wondering what sort of information might be taught about gender issues during transition year at the moment. I remember a female relative of mine saying somebody used to come into her all-girls school to give classes on women's studies and she found them biased and unbalanced.

The first result that came up with a Google search
    Gender transition year
    was this one:
    "Development Issues – A Course for Transition Year"
    https://developmenteducation.ie/feature/the-development-issues-a-course-for-transition-year/

I haven't followed the resource links but based on what I can see, it is quite unbalanced.

The key skill aim to "develop empathy with women’s oppression" looks like it summarises the sort of approach taken.

Part 4. Gender Inequality

Learning Outcomes
    Differentiate between gender & sex.
    Understand the diversity of gender identity.
    Recognise how being born male or female affects life opportunities & choices.
    Analyse how gender inequalities can be the root of exploitation.
    Examine the link between gender & poverty (access to credit; inheritance; etc).
    Recognise the importance of gender based development/aid programmes.
    Investigate Gender-Based Violence.
    Examine how culture affects gender rights.

Key Skills
    Debate/Challenge peoples assumptions about gender identity & stereotyping.
    Develop empathy with women’s oppression.
    Develop relationships that are not gender biased.
    Acknowledge individual differences.
    Watch & interpret a foreign language film.

Resources
    Statistics for Women working in Ireland | European Commission website
    Teaching Transgender: a guide to leading effective trainings online (Jan 15th, 2009)| National Centre for Transgender Equality transequality.org
    The G20 and Gender Equality (July 14th, 2014)| Oxfam briefing paper
    Gender Based Violence – A Failure to Protect: A Challenge to Action (2005) | report by The Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence
    Information on Female Genital Mutilation (Feb 2014)| online Factsheet no.241 by World Health Organisation
    Female Genital Mutilation – An overview and statistical analysis papers | Unicef
    The Girl Effect animation girleffect.org

Activities

Activity G1

Students distinguish between the words “sex” and “gender” and discuss the issue of gender stereotyping. Teacher notes: Sex and Gender | Statements about Men and Women

Activity G2

Students investigate historical views of gender and public imagery of gender roles. Transgender is introduced. Teacher notes: Gender Roles | HO Activity: World Upside Down | Audio File – World Upside Down

Activity G3

Investigate gender identity in Modern Society by examining social media profile options such as Facebook. Students discuss the implications of gender identity for individuals. Teacher notes: Gender Identities | HO Activity: Guardian Newspaper Article – Facebook | Student Activity: Humans are not binary

Activity G4

Students investigate challenges facing the LGBT community by critically reflecting on anti-bullying videos. Teacher notes: LBGT rights

Activity G5

Students conduct their own research on how gender affects their life choices and compare their choices with their peers globally. Teacher notes: How Gender and Sexuality Affects my Life Choices | Student Activity: How gender and sexuality affects my life choices

Activity G6

Students read case studies and discuss how gender affects life choices and opportunities in Africa and compare to life choices and opportunities in Ireland. Teacher notes: Gender Inequality | Student Activity: Case study Answer Sheet

Activity G7

Students examine the issue of Gender Based Violence. Students learn about Female Genital Mutilation and Cutting (FGM/C). Teacher notes: Gender Based Violence

Activity G8

Students learn about Female Genital Mutilation and Cutting and investigate the physical effects on women. Students view a film about FGM/C to understand the emotional effects on young women that undergo FGM/C. Teacher notes: Female Genital Mutilation and Cutting | Activity: Female Genitals and FGM (Powerpoint) | Student Activity: Film Review Sheet

Activity G9 (optional)

Students swatch Wadjda (2012) to explore gender inequality and culture. The film is about Wadjda: a 10-year-old girl living in a suburb of Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. | Check availability locally. Additionally it is available to rent from Irish online on-demand website Volta and Netflix.

"recognise how being born male or female affects life opportunities & choices.

Examine the link between gender & poverty (access to credit; inheritance; etc)
    ."

Somehow I expect they gloss over the men working in coal mines, and other dangerous roles throughout history, or anything that doesn't portray women as an underclass.

Frankly, I'm not terribly surprised.

I do love that "Develop empathy with women’s oppression" is a key skill. :D

Gender Based Violence – A Failure to Protect: A Challenge to Action (2005) | report by The Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence.

From what I can tell, it's entirely focused on female victims of violence. So, yeah. The whole thing is solely aimed at females, and their problems. No attempts to raise any of the violence (sexual or other) that males are on the receiving end of.

The Government's decision to extend parent's leave, for each parent, from two weeks to five weeks has been broadly welcomed.

Children’s Minister Roderic O’Gorman secured Cabinet approval to extend paid parent's leave, which was introduced in 2019.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40186989.html

Clodagh Finn: What it was like meeting my birth father for the first time, aged 26

Many years ago, Clodagh Finn wrote a paragraph on what it was like meeting her birth father for the first time, aged 26. She felt at the time that she would not have been able to write any more. Until now
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40186761.html

She was adopted by her nonbiological parents so large percentage of the article is about the controversy about adoption records and the like and not much about meeting her biological father.
    That might explain why the strangeness of that first encounter never quite wore off. We had a few more meetings and exchanged cards and heartfelt good wishes. A few years after that, I read of his death in the paper and felt the urge to go the funeral but felt, again, that there wasn’t a space for me. I didn’t know if his other family — there was another family — even knew of my existence. I didn’t want to intrude, but I didn’t want to be absent either.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I rang the priest who was to say his funeral Mass and I will be forever grateful for his offer to represent me, so to speak, on the day of the service by lighting a special candle.

It’s a story with a less than satisfactory ending, but it’s one I’m no longer reluctant to tell.

Now it’s time to hear all those voices that have been silent for so long. It’s time for truth and reconciliation.

Nothing particularly earthshattering, but just saw a female acquaintance of mine on Twitter recommend a particular company and say she loves supporting women-owned businesses. I can't imagine many men would say publicly they love supporting men-owned businesses; I imagine they might get slaughtered for being sexist whether or not men or women predominated in a particular industry. Strange world we live in where one is considered sexist while some might even be praised by some people for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Nothing particularly earthshattering, but just saw a female acquaintance of mine on Twitter recommend a particular company and say she loves supporting women-owned businesses. I can't imagine many men would say publicly they love supporting men-owned businesses; I imagine they might get slaughtered for being sexist whether or not men or women predominated in a particular industry. Strange world we live in where one is considered sexist while some might even be praised by some people for the other.

its crazy isnt it. i would love to try it out but we all know what would happen, banned from facbook, called a sexist misasinistic pig etc

Ahh well, double standards are the rule. Reverse racism, reverse sexism, etc. It's normal, and justified on so many levels that any rational person would puke at the lengths to which the people who advocate it go to.

You see it often here on boards, where men are held to a standard that isn't applied to women, and you can't really object to it, because, reasons. Women will be exempted from all manner of responsibilities, because, reasons. The victim card is the most common tactic, i find. You'll get an outpouring of emotional outbursts, ever increasingly strong accusations, and eventually personal attacks... and it's allowed by the general mod grouping..

Because double standards are the rule now. Men have been silent too long. Especially white men.

The funny thing is that pretty soon white women are going to be in the same boat, although, the boat for white males will always be pushed further down, by the feminist minded out there.

TBH the only way this is going to stop is if "men" collectively bite the bullet and start calling people on this bs.

This is a popular post on Twitter with over 13,000 likes that turned up in my feed
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752670759292929?s=20
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752671711334407?s=20
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752672747401216?s=20
    https://twitter.com/autienelle/status/1333752674018275328?s=20

It is a pity if diagnoses are more likely to be missed in one gender.

But regard to the sexism claim, which presumably means sexism against females in this context, another way of looking at it is that a greater range of female activities are acceptable and seen as normal while people are quicker to label males/male behaviour as abnormal. Most of the time, most people would probably prefer to be seen as normal rather than abnormal or odd or weird or whatever.

Jesus Christ, let's pathologise everything.

Public sector unions and employers agree proposals for two-year pay deal
    “The ICTU team has also achieved a process to address sectoral issues, and a separate mechanism that will make real and substantial progress on the issues outstanding from the Haddington Road agreement, including its introduction of longer working hours that fell most heavily on women workers,” he said,” he added.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40188843.html
    Just a minor observation that it seems much more likely to read such sentences about official concern for women workers than men workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jesus Christ, let's pathologise everything.

I'm baffled by that tweet - it looks to me like most of the people replying, regardless of whatever they "identify" as, are kind of...WANTING to be on the spectrum? Like "oh, I really like technology, I MUST be on the specturm but the doctor says no!" - like, I don't know, people like things? You know, the reason why one goes to be an engineer, a mechanic, an accountant and so on?

It's like they think WHAT you like or dislike determines if you're autistic or not, rather than the individual behaviours...

Behind a pay-wall:
    ‘I’m over 6ft. I’m athletic. I didn’t think I was going to believed’ – the harrowing impact of sexual assaults on men
    There is a worldwide trend of male victims not reporting sexual violence. As new Irish research is published, two Irish male survivors talk about their experiences

Caomhán Keane

December 14 2020 02:30 AM

Another year, another report indicates that Ireland is being besieged by an epidemic of sexual violence. In research about to be published in the Journal of Interpersonal Violence, academics from Maynooth University and Trinity College Dublin found that one in five Irish women and one in 10 Irish men have been raped.

Half of women and 20pc of men have experienced some form of sexual harassment in their life while 31pc of Irish adults experienced sexual harassment. Sexual violence is undoubtedly “a gendered issue” as described by the studies co-lead, Dr Frédérique Vallières, director of the Trinity Centre for Global Health at Trinity College Dublin.

But while there are clear substantial differences in the rates of sexual violence between the sexes, it is important not to forget its male victims, particularly as statistics for them are probably inaccurate due to under-reporting.

https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/im-over-6ft-im-athletic-i-didnt-think-i-was-going-to-believed-the-harrowing-impact-of-sexual-assaults-on-men-39858952.html

In research about to be published in the Journal of Interpersonal Violence, academics from Maynooth University and Trinity College Dublin found that one in five Irish women and one in 10 Irish men have been raped.

seems excessive, and aimed to clickbait the research. I wonder has what qualifies as rape been expanded?.... and what kind of selection they used for their testing group.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Sadly, Boko Haram have kidnapped 300 schoolboys in Nigeria. It'll be interesting to compare and contrast the volume of outrage from when the same group kidnapped 276 schoolgirls in 2014 leading to Michelle Obama's #BringBackOurGirls campaign including the first lady taking over the weekly presidential radio address to highlight the situation.

I really hope every world leader and celebrity who jumped on that bandwagon will support these poor young lads with EQUAL vigor but somehow I don't think #BringBackOurBoys has same ring to it in 2020.

On an interesting sidenote, the RTE headline is "Boko Haram claims kidnapping of hundreds of Nigerian students". I assume if the genders were reversed the fact that girls were abducted would be the main selling point.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/1215/1184474-nigeria-kidnap-children/

seems excessive, and aimed to clickbait the research. I wonder has what qualifies as rape been expanded?.... and what kind of selection they used for their testing group.

Good question...there are "lines of thought" that would classify a look, the "male gaze" as they call it, as sexual assault. I've actually had the displeasure to know somebody IRL who truly agrees with this idiocy.

One would imagine the importance to draw a line, defining what exactly constitutes sexual assault or harassment with a degree of precision and certainty, to be absolutely paramount as to protect the actual victims, but apparently no. It's anything unsolicited or that can be claimed to "cause discomfort". Considering most people are deathly afraid of their own shadow nowadays, somebody approaching you in a bar/club is sexual assault, even if they only get to "hello!". Someone at work saying "you look lovely" is harassment. Great future we're going towards.

As a sidenote, last night I stumbled upon "Demolition Man" on Netflix. Hadn't watched the movie in decades. Decided to give it a go.
    I remembered it as an over-the-top, brainless bombastic action flick with 'splosions and dry jokes. That's what it came across as back in 1995.

Today...oh dear. Many aspects of the society depicted in it are scarily prescient. Everything aseptic, PC going rampant, people worried about everything and completely unable to face adversity...it's not that amusing anymore seeing the current trajectory.

Which in turn makes you think about another aspect - if it was possible to "bring forward in time" somebody from, say, 1955...they'd rightfully think we're all a bunch of self-righteous pussies.

(Not important)
    INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY 2021
    International Women's Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.

For 2021, The Wheel will be hosting a special event, a few days later (11 March), to celebrate the role women leaders play in the community, voluntary and charity sector.

Our event will focus on three successful female leaders in the sector who chose to challenge and created change. They will share their personal journey with us and reflect on how gender impacted their experiences, the challenges they faced and what we can do to encourage gender balance in staff, volunteers, boards and leadership across the sector.

etc.
    https://www.wheel.ie/training/2021/03/international-womens-day-2021

This is an umbrella organisation for voluntary organisations in Ireland. It certainly didn't do anything like this for International Men's Day.

My impression is women are in the majority in terms of paid employment in the sector, so it seems slightly odd to talk about gender balance on International Women's Day; I doubt it means encouraging the choosing of men over women given the date it has been held on.

Tania Reynolds, (Dept of Gender Studies, Univ. of Indiana), “Gender bias in moral typecasting (man-up and take it)”: Tania presented the results of several different studies aimed at elucidating if one sex is more easily typecast as a victim and one sex more typecast as a perpetrator.

In one of these studies the participants watched an animation of abstract shapes (triangles) engaged in what could be interpreted as a harm situation, and were then asked to assign genders to the victimised or perpetrating “triangles”.

I somehow suspect you’ve guessed the outcome.

Over 5 studies (N=1538) the results consistently showed females associated more with the victim role and males more with the perpetrator role, even when the “people” in question were just triangles.

The value of the latter was that all extraneous factors were eliminated. She concluded, “This cognitive bias may contribute to a general reluctance to respond to men’s suffering.”

In other words, empirical evidence for the empathy gap.

http://empathygap.uk/?p=2889

Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
    Volume 161, November 2020, Pages 120-141
    Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
    Man up and take it: Gender bias in moral typecasting
    TaniaReynoldsabChuckHowardcHallgeirSjåstaddLukeZhueTyler G.OkimotofRoy F.BaumeisterfKarlAquinocJongHanKimg

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2020.05.002

Highlights

• We predicted and supported a gender bias in moral typecasting.

• Victims were assumed to be female and perpetrators were assumed to be male.

• A female (vs male) employee complaining of harassment was seen as more of a victim.

• People desired harsher punishments for male than female perpetrators.

• Managers who fired female (vs male) employees were perceived as less moral.

Abstract

Informed by moral typecasting theory, we predicted a gender bias in harm evaluation, such that women are more easily categorized as victims and men as perpetrators.

Study 1 participants assumed a harmed target was female (versus male), but especially when labeled ‘victim’.

Study 2 participants perceived animated shapes perpetuating harm as male and victimized shapes as female.

Study 3 participants assumed a female employee claiming harassment was more of a victim than a male employee making identical claims.

Female victims were expected to experience more pain from an ambiguous joke and male perpetrators were prescribed harsher punishments (Study 4).

Managers were perceived as less moral when firing female (versus male) employees (Study 5).

The possibility of gender discrimination intensified the cognitive link between women and victimhood (Study 6).

Across six studies in four countries (N = 3,137), harm evaluations were systematically swayed by targets’ gender, suggesting a gender bias in moral typecasting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L-4V9iwpVhyMy-sHUgxj8b1PuouQvxa2/view

I mean, do we really need any further confirmation of this? It's beyond apparent pretty much all around, from the lack of support to the funds (for reasearch, shelters, suicide prevention etc.) going all the same way.

Furthermore, the sheer, cold, objective numbers about the male:female ratio in homelessness, suicide and workplace deaths couldn't be more clear: men and even boys are disposable.

Expect Dr. Reynolds to be "cancelled" shortly, "traitor to the cause" and whatnot...

As I’ve said before, a lot more gender studies research should be empirical research like this.

• Advertisement

(Not important)
    Katie Taylor is The Irish Times/Sport Ireland Sportswoman of the Year for 2020
    It’s the Bray boxer’s fifth time to win the award and she accepted it from her US base

Virtually unprecedented, some performances defying reality, and in the end providing an undisputed winner, maybe the first and lasting live impression of the 17th staging of The Irish Times/Sport Ireland Sportswoman of the Year awards was that they happened at all.

In any other year, each of the monthly winners would have been here, or else represented, to acclaim the plaudits for themselves and their peers at Dublin’s Shelbourne hotel, only not in 2020. So the awards were brought to them, all 12 monthly winners – as ever impressively spread across nine different sports – linked into a virtual presentation at lunchtime on Friday, culminating with outright winner Katie Taylor, for an utterly unique fifth time.

etc.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/katie-taylor-is-the-irish-times-sport-ireland-sportswoman-of-the-year-for-2020-1.4440547

They could easily have gender balance by having monthly prizes for sportswomen and sportsmen and similarly an annual award for men and women.

Advertisement