Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De Den

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭briany

Disappointed Francis Brennan didn't stay on the line to participate in the outro dance thing they do. I mean, on Francis Brennan day of all days...

But I don't think the Den will be back on after Christmas, and those involved have said as much. There's an episode of Frasier where Woody shows up in Seattle, and he and Frasier have a great time telling old stories from Cheers, but they both quickly realise that they don't have much in common going forward. The Den would probably hit a similar type of wall if it were to continue.

But, having said that, a Christmas Crisis or do pre-taped links between shows on Christmas day.... that'd be special. If they could do that, it'd be a great send-off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Cody montana

"Every time I see ye I don't know whether to kiss ye or throw ye a bale of hay"

Dustin to Vogue Williams. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

"Every time I see ye I don't know whether to kiss ye or throw ye a bale of hay"

Dustin to Vogue Williams. :eek:

And ge told her he had a stable ready for her to stay over Christmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Sinead is standing in front of Clonmacnoise which is actually Co. Offaly and not Westmeath. Just for accuracy sake.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 beamoflight

The TV screen has no picture but audio is working. Anybody else have the same problem watching tv now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The TV screen has no picture but audio is working. Anybody else have the same problem watching tv now?

No

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another extremely fun episode.
    Some killer lines from Dustin as usual, but the part with him talking about getting a christmas tree had me in stitches for some reason.
    Dustin has gone very dub this week lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

gmisk wrote: »
    Another extremely fun episode.
    Some killer lines from Dustin as usual, but the part with him talking about getting a christmas tree had me in stitches for some reason.
    Dustin has gone very dub this week lol

I was doubled over laughing at that bit. Zag trying to comprehend what he was saying was absolute comedy gold.

It’s the best thing on RTE at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The personal remarks about Vogue Williams were disgraceful..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

walshb wrote: »

Ah, they're just horsing about.

Neigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Not sure if you're complimenting Dustin here and in on the Vogue joke or not.
    If you are genuinely complaining, then you obviously did not watch the original Den and other shows Dustin guested on since 1990 and heard what he used to say to women!!!!?

Dustin used to call Derek Davis 'Hippo head', which I've always thought was a bit mean-spirited, but Davis was a far better sport about it than he had any reason to be. If it was made today, Dustin would immediately be cancelled for fat shaming. Dustin roasts people (mainly celebrities who'd already benefit from having their bubble popped a bit) - that's what he does, and it's been understood that he does that since the early 90s. So, if you don't want to get in his crosshairs, maybe don't appear on his show.

Ah disappointed Dustin didn’t bring up jim corr there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

He was too busy chatting up Andrea. She's still looking fine. The quip about dundalk houses and phone boxes was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aurelian

"You've got a live Covid in here!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Only seeing today's episode now.
    Easily one of the best things on RTÉ this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Sparko

Aurelian wrote: »
    "You've got a live Covid in here!"

I loved that line. Great setup for the Christmas special!

"I'd love a hunky pandaaa to bring me fer a bag a chips"
    The way Dustin says date lol...
    Another cracking week, so much fun.
    Will be worth to see it go away again :(

Actually cannot wait for this tonight!!

Definatly something I didn’t think 39 year old me would ever be saying!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Surprised that the Christmas number one song didn’t enter the Irish charts on the back of this promotion. I suppose not being on Spotify etc gives it no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

thejuggler wrote: »
    Surprised that the Christmas number one song didn’t enter the Irish charts on the back of this promotion. I suppose not being on Spotify etc gives it no chance.

I wonder have the "How dare they censor my favourite word out of Fairytale of New York" crowd kicked up a stink about the absence of the word 'twat' in the rerecorded version.

Claire Byrne's new cacks arrived!
    Very fun episode as usual

Ah that was just brilliant. Just pure joy

How wonderful.

Watching the chaos was a Sunday routine.
    I never even watched it back in the day.

Marty Morrissey with Botox lol.
    It's got to come back for more episodes.
    Even just for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

These guys pack more fun into 45mins than Ryan Tubridy does in 3 hours with the "Toy" Show.

It's been thoroughly enjoyable watching it for the last few weeks.

gmisk wrote: »
    Marty Morrissey with Botox lol.
    It's got to come back for more episodes.
    Even just for Christmas

They have to! It must have had great viewing figures surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is there any plan to bring it back in 2021?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The best thing RTE have done in years

Great from start to finish

Credit to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

How did they get Mark Hamill on? Brilliant show best stuff in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Line of the series from Dustin this evening about Rays talk show

You could hear the puppeteers laughing uncontrollably

Give Dustin his own show ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

thejuggler wrote: »

Think that it won't be chart eligible at all as the only way to get it is through making a donation to the charity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

.anon. wrote: »
    I wonder have the "How dare they censor my favourite word out of Fairytale of New York" crowd kicked up a stink about the absence of the word 'twat' in the rerecorded version.

And the bit where Zig asks "what are you doin' with all the girly gold jewellery?" has become "what are you doin' with granny's gold jewellery?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Give Dustin his own show ffs

Dustin is great ...though I don't think that would be an idea that would work without Zig and Zag etc..

How many "own shows" of characters, or "spin-off" shows were a success?. Look at his Eurovision attempt!!

Dustin usually makes several funny appearances on TV and Radio on his own anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I thought that Claire Byrne would have made an appearance on the last show- that would have been good fun

Dustin on Dunphy's podcast this week

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/episode/979/

a chuckle or two

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

How did they get Mark Hamill on? Brilliant show best stuff in years

I roared out laughing when Dustin shouted criminals when Mark mentioned his Liverpool ancestors.

A classic Den moment.

They have to! It must have had great viewing figures surely?

The most they should bring it back for is one-off specials. If they brought it back with any sort of regularity, one of two things would happen: either people would get sick of the schtick, or Dustin would say something off the cuff that got him cancelled and somewhat tarnish the legacy of the show.

This limited run reaffirmed what people used to love about the show without overstaying its welcome. I think that's the best anyone could have hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There's a little bit of hope:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

What an episode!! They surprised my nieces and nephew at home when they showed their reaction video to seeing themselves in the music video. Their school today is going to go around and play the clip to every class. They are little celebrities off the back of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's completely weird to read a thread on this site about an RTE production, and see close to a unanimously positive reaction to it.

It's completely weird to read a thread on this site about an RTE production, and see close to a unanimously positive reaction to it.

It's not weird to see something well-executed be given praise. It is weird for such a production to come out of RTE, though. RTE is an efficient machine for taking a decent idea and bastardising it, or taking naff ideas and holding them up as the channel's best effort.

Basically, the original Den succeeded because it gave some talented performers free rein. RTE at least had the good sense to recognise that and let them do pretty much the same, with positive results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The christmas special episode last night was so good. It was an extra special event for the kids this christmas & RTÉ pulled it off in style. Fair play to them. They have done themselves proud for all of the families given the circumstances this year.

That ''nelf'' character on last night really was a suspicious looking fella alright.

Santa did his good deeds in putting nelf into the snowglobe probably for all eternity*.

*And of course nelf. While you're in there. Don't say that we have mentioned it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dustin is going to be on the Claire Byrne show tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

What an episode!! They surprised my nieces and nephew at home when they showed their reaction video to seeing themselves in the music video. Their school today is going to go around and play the clip to every class. They are little celebrities off the back of it.

Brilliant. My daughter got her name on the birthday roller. She was so excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There was a real honesty to it. It was raw, spontaneous and genuinely funny. It's one of the shows that myself and herself looked forward to every Sunday for a guaranteed laugh.

briany wrote: »
    It's not weird to see something well-executed be given praise. It is weird for such a production to come out of RTE, though. RTE is an efficient machine for taking a decent idea and bastardising it, or taking naff ideas and holding them up as the channel's best effort.

Basically, the original Den succeeded because it gave some talented performers free rein. RTE at least had the good sense to recognise that and let them do pretty much the same, with positive results.

The cast were all great and the main four are at their best when they're let loose like that. It wouldn't work if it was too scripted or polished. All they need is a rough outline and they can improvise the rest. The way that they play off each other is something quite special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Brilliant. My daughter got her name on the birthday roller. She was so excited!!

Happy burtday happy happy buurrrtday!!!!

There was a real honesty to it. It was raw, spontaneous and genuinely funny. It's one of the shows that myself and herself looked forward to every Sunday for a guaranteed laugh.

Yeah, it's been a bit cathartic these last few weeks to watch Dustin tell the truth about much of Irish TV - that Fair City is brutal, that D'Arcy's chat show was brutal and that Vogue Williams looks a bit like a horse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement