Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronan Collins Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ronan taking some competition callers on air today...it has been a while since he has done this.
    Sounds like his Radio 2 days.

His 2FM days weren't as painful as this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Ah lads, Ronan is OK. He's formulaic, but so is the lifestyle of his typical pension aged listener.

And a few of ye missed him when he was off!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Ah lads, Ronan is OK. He's formulaic, but so is the lifestyle of his typical pension aged listener.

And a few of ye missed him when he was off!

I am years away from being a pension aged listener, and I'm a fan.
    I can't quite explain it but I love being around to listen to his shows.
    It's seldom he plays something that isn't tolerable.
    And he is a great one for playing new songs, not to mention requests.
    Plus there's no stupid questions or polls or rows/needless discussions, the show does what it needs to do.

Long live Ronan!

(Then I tear down the house to Dec Pierce on Today FM Friday nights, #BlockRockingBeats)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Ronan Collins is 68 this Thursday. (Retirement coming up soon hopefully!)

We should all send in a request for him - for fun :)

I honestly thought he was 68 while presenting Play the Game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Wait another two years and we can send him a roundy birthday request.

@The Princess Bride, you sound like a poster after my own heart, I'm a mere 43 and I always enjoy Ronan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RINO87

Wait another two years and we can send him a roundy birthday request.

@The Princess Bride, you sound like a poster after my own heart, I'm a mere 43 and I always enjoy Ronan.

I'm 32 and I agree!!!

Good to hear Tears for Fears kicking it off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Good to hear Tears for Fears kicking it off today.
    An overplayed TFF track, there are others he could've played.
    Ronan played some good songs today Aztec Camera, Roger Whittaker and Gordon Lightfoot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rip Dale Haze from Gina Dale Haze and the Champions, a staple feature of the Irish pop charts back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Rip Mary Hurley from Gina Dale Haze and the Champions, a staple feature of the Irish pop charts back in the day.

I think it's Dale that died?

• Advertisement

I think it's Dale that died?

Yes, you are correct, my bad for getting that wrong, sorry i misheard the report.

Happy birthday Gilbert. Alone Again Naturally one of the best songs ever written imho.

Fair play to Ronan today for playing one of the best Christmas / Non Christmas songs ever: "Freiheit" - Keeping the dream alive.

Neil Diamond then Black Sabbath.

Eat my Shorts, commercial radio :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Ronan today said many people have asked him about it so, just to be clear, "No, I am not retiring".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Don Duck

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Ronan today said many people have asked him about it so, just to be clear, "No, I am not retiring".

RTE have given him an new contract so.

Don Duck wrote: »
    RTE have given him an new contract so.

Fingers crossed. He's perfect for that time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Fingers crossed. He's perfect for that time slot.
    That'll cheer up some on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Comhra wrote: »
    Ronan is around forever, but he is a pro, like him or not and I'd say whatever his salary is, he gives much more value than Tubbs, Darcy or Duffy.

I find his music choice a bit stuffy at times but in fairness his show is slick and he's an excellent presenter. I'm happy to have him stay put.

I mean, if Ray Darcy can spoof his way through radio, absolutely anyone can..

Ronan is far better than Ryan Tubridy as well..

I've a lot of time for ronan but this annual elvis/bowie january love in is too much for me. The last 4 days, every music show on rte have been doing it to death, bowies birth anniversary segues straight into bowies death anniversary and we get all the same standard songs played over and over. Give us a deep cut at least if you have to do it!

• Advertisement

I've a lot of time for ronan but this annual elvis/bowie january love in is too much for me. The last 4 days, every music show on rte have been doing it to death, bowies birth anniversary segues straight into bowies death anniversary and we get all the same standard songs played over and over. Give us a deep cut at least if you have to do it!

Quite a good few Irish stations have been doing Bowie tributes, the odd song but more so Radio 1.
    It's all about birth, death and album anniversaries now especially on the radio.

Were there John Lennon tributes in 1985? or Elvis tributes in 1987?
    I doubt it.
    I imagine songs and information on these artists are easily accessible now and the way people(not even Bowie fans) on social media get involved.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You playin’ my tune Joseph......

Ridden to death and run ragged......and do you know what.....?

It will be the very same next year...;)

I don't mind a bit of it tbh, but they really do tear the arse out of it. Yer man will leahy was on yesterday playing songs on their anniversary as well as the usual bowie/elvis selection so there's another twist.

At least kudos to lillian smith who managed to play a bowie track on saturday morning i'd never previously heard. Otherwise it's been starman and rebel rebel all the way and we're by no means finished yet!

Cathal Murray dedicated his whole show to Bowie last night.
    Ray Darcy playing him now.

Yesterday 6 Music on the BBC dedicated all day to Bowie

The problem with bowie is last week we got 2 days of blanket coverage for his birth date and then almost immediately they blast into the death anniversary stuff. They should do one or the other, it just gets weary after a while.

The problem with bowie is last week we got 2 days of blanket coverage for his birth date and then almost immediately they blast into the death anniversary stuff. They should do one or the other, it just gets weary after a while.

Joseph, as I see it the problem is lazy production and cockery from the presenters

You have Tubridy licking Macca
    Lally licking Dylan
    Fanning licking U2
    Collins licking anyone with an anniversary
    Creedon licking John Prine

Over the top Joseph.... sure one or two programmes could tip the cap to these artists, but the wall to wall coverage really annoys people.

These tools should grow up, in my opinion.

Joseph, as I see it the problem is lazy production and cockery from the presenters

You have Tubridy licking Macca
    Lally licking Dylan
    Fanning licking U2
    Collins licking anyone with an anniversary
    Creedon licking John Prine

Over the top Joseph.... sure one or two programmes could tip the cap to these artists, but the wall to wall coverage really annoys people.

These tools should grow up, in my opinion.

Yes but....Creedon dedicated half a show to John Prine straight after the great mans death. That's not really the topic here. I've no issue whatsoever with presenters championing individual artists. Sure didn't john peel literally "make" the undertones, among a host of other bands?

Yes but....Creedon dedicated half a show to John Prine straight after the great mans death. That's not really the topic here. I've no issue whatsoever with presenters championing individual artists. Sure didn't john peel literally "make" the undertones, among a host of other bands?

Okey dokey Joseph......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,879 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Me no likey this version of ‘N17’. :(

I call for a ban on these ‘John Lewis Ad’ songs!

Advertisement