Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronan Collins Show

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The likes of John Creedon are gold dust in RTE - blending music with gentle social commentary on heritage & cultural matters. Compared to some of the formula driven woke airheads they seem to be lining up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Will he be playing the same mix of show band hits on rte gold? Sounds like a big shift from their usual playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

As far as I know Ronan only said he was finishing his show not retiring so no surprise he is allowed to pass a bit of time on gold if he wanted it was the same with Gaybo everybody assumed he was retiring after he ended the late late but he never announced he was actually finishing with RTE he just moved on and did his lyric spot and on he went .Seems to be harder to get out of the station than get in .They generally find a spot for their presenters even the failed ones like John MURRAY having him do the sport after his terrible efforts in the morning slot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

One day a week for John most of the time on presumably a handy wedge going back to the daily show days

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭asdfg22

GOLD yes all the music they know is about 50 years old.

I would think most of the listeners to RTE music programmes are a bit older so the music that is on is what they want along a bit of chit chat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

L. Duffy will not last long in Ronan's old slot....not a suitable replacement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Great that Ronan is joining RTÉ Gold..

The original Radio Two DJ’s like Ronan and Micky Mac are proper presenters - add Mark Cagney Jim O Neill, Declan Meehan Barry Lang all still on radio to the station ..what about Hector and Brendan Balfe and Suzanne Duffy?

Will’s breakfast show is the best on radio ..Aidan at weekends and in time GOLD with a full schedule could become at last Ireland’s BBC Radio 2..

Go for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

Sounds like God's waiting room...^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I agree.

Hard to see what she has in common with the loyal listeners Ronan has built up over the years.

She will definitely need time and I predict a few rough JNLRs with plenty media comment in the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

A big problem for Louise Duffy is how out of place she will be on that station. I always presumed that when Collins left that show would end too although that might involve Tubridy working an hour extra which would be unacceptable. Collins show comes from another era when Radio 1 had a more varied daytime lineup. I can remember John Creedon being on at midday and Collins having a 90 minute afternoon show following a 45 minute arts programme. Now it's just Current Affairs/waffle all day and I'm not sure how she will fit into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

Was Louise not supposed to start today? Neil Doherty is not what I need on my first day back in work!

If she was she'll have broken the RTE record. Going on holiday on her first day of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just listening back to The Collins collections from yesterday. It's my 1st-time listening to one of those shows and this may the norm but It seems to be just a Joe Dolan tribute with Ronan singing along to some other songs with the Orchestra, oh yeah and Gavin James popped in.

Post edited by Luckycharms_74 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Just been reading back through the comments here about Ronan and I think people are a little harsh on the fella. Yes he's from another era, the era of pirate radio (which was great!) but he's genuine, no scripted crap and enforced playlist that we seem to be stuck with in Ireland. Radio in general here is awful. I'm into my 50s now but none of the regular licenced fm stations play what I like to listen to. I'm pretty much limited to BBC6 Music or 8 Radio which, thankfully, don't usually talk shite to fill air time and play decent and diverse choices. And that's what Ronan did. It may have been the case that 75% of what he played wasn't particularly what I'd listen to but his show to me was a little oasis in the middle of the day since the first lockdown started, mainly cos he has a great voice and was just himself and he quite obviously loves music. There's nothing wrong with that, and I feel the same about Creedon. Easy to listen to. I hope these two guys are around for a while yet as there doesn't seem to be anyone around to take their place among the generic jocks we're stuck with now. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Louise Duffy starts next Monday January 9. I thought she did well when she filled in for Ronan last September, so let's see how it goes. Ronan will doing his Collins Collection programme on the Bank Holidays throughout the year, the next one is the new holiday on February 6.

To be fair any presenter that has been around for a long stint has built up an audience and those listeners don't want change they like the familiar voice .Give Louise a chance after all it's only a one hour show and people will get used to it after a while .I remember back in the day when Marion finished Live line some folk thought that would be end of it and we're horrified with who took over .

I'd go along with that we can at least wait until she gets going before we start the critical analysis.

The king is dead long live the queen 🙂

Maybe some kind soul will change the thread title next Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Can't be any worst than Neil Doherty. I was in the car yesterday when he was on, so was listening without any major distractions and just heard the start of his show today and he really sounds like he has done zero prep. Struggling to find anything to say - real "that was, this is" stuff with time checks and constant reminders that he is "here until the news at one".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

this new show sounds dull as expected, come back Ronan !

Louise needs to pick up the pace, very poor so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She’s always had that slow, fairly monotone delivery.

Give her time I guess but kinda bland first day. Continuity announcer style or Aer Lingus stewardess.

Music is alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sssteady up there Mr F … it’s AerLingus cabin crew….tut tut.

Any roundy birthdays ?

Why do possibly all RTE radio 1 shows nowadays go in and out of ad breaks with a bumper telling us of the text and email address as if the host hasn't already mentioned them lots of times during the show.

We need a Louise Duffy Show thread, it's her show now.

Agree.

I don't know how to get under the bonnet of Boards to change the title.

Anyone volunteer?

• Advertisement

Ha ha, nope no big roundy birthdays coming up.

Of a mind though to use perfectly good words like stewardesses and actresses etc etc

Not into the PC nonsense as the retired host of this show might have said :)

Thanks Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Go the Furze...was that sound I heard a box lid slamming shut and a key being turned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

It's really true !

Just in case anyone missed the other thread, he's starting on Gold 1st March 10-1.

Advertisement