Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

KevIRL wrote: »
    14 to 1-7 ahead at half time. Good performance and a v good comeback from conceding a pen goal in the first minute

Im hearing 7 different scorers? Thats quite impressive against a very seasoned Limerick back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Philip mahaney off injured with leg and prendergast on. Begley has the beating of coughlan, no intensity from limerick yet, well worked scores for waterford but still alot of long ball in is been won by an extra limerick player.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Good first half from us. We definitely seem well more trained into our game plan and its working so far. Limerick with the high ball into Begley have been very one dimension. Game there for the taking on the first half basis. De Burca Gleeson and Barron well on top.

Back to one man full forward line, 2 coner forwards out the field. Same as last year, sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Waterford backing up there good work done in pre season particular there challenge, game's regardless of the outcome tonight, there is alot of talent there despite the management issues. Impressed so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good to get the draw in the end but feel we left that behind tbh.

Great finish level 2.16 to 22 points. 2 Bennents coming on in 2nd half made a big difference, both stayed within the 22yard line and ball began to stick. All to play for in this league, Barron midfield is a good decision, some engine on him

Great finish level 2.16 to 22 points. 2 Bennents coming on in 2nd half made a big difference, both stayed within the 22yard line and ball began to stick. All to play for in this league, Barron midfield is a good decision, some engine on him

Thought tadgh De burca was great too

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Barron got on the world of ball but wasn't as productive as he could have been with it and remember Paul Browne got 4 pts from midfield for Limerick. Game left behind and when James Ryan came on for the second half Moran went missing. Again i reiterate about how in Gods name is Dillon on this team? Utterly useless,contributes nothing. On the plus side we are still not out of the running for promotion and hopefully management will learn from tonight also. It now comes down to the Wexford game to see how our league position will end up as i am confident we will beat laois and Offaly. Shane Bennett showed some flashes of what he's capable of and both he and Stephen must start the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

de burca is the real deal excellent..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Setanta making some hames of showing game. After about 45mins in they went back to about 5mins in. 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭waterfordgirl

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Setanta making some hames of showing game. After about 45mins in they went back to about 5mins in. 😱

How have they not noticed it yet!!! Driving me insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

Setanta making some hames jof showing game. After about 45mins in they went back to about 5mins in. 😱

Think the commentator was drunk too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yeah just watching it now, crazy that Setanta don't even realise their fcukup.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭waterfordgirl

This is driving me insane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I think this happened before when I was watching a Waterford game, during the 2nd half it skipped back to the start, but they copped on and fixed it after a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

I think this happened before when I was watching a Waterford game, during the 2nd half it skipped back to the start, but they copped on and fixed it after a few minutes.

Think that was tg4.. munstetr club game

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Was pleasantly surprised that we played most of the game with an actual inside forward line and a positive gameplan, shooting looked sharp too. A bit of frustrating overplaying of short passes at times allowed Limerick backs to swarm us and turn over posession when we should have been tacking on scores, and although i feel we should have won on the balance of the game I can't say I'm disappointed with what i saw after what we served up last year. Hopefully we're after bottoming out and are on the upswing

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Good result considering the retirements/ players absent from last year, around 13 or 14 I think. Then you had the media report the team was vulnerable and in transition.

But enough of Kilkenny, I thought Waterford were ok

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Good display overall and we can feel unlucky not to have come away with all 2 pts. Have to admit it was great to see our response having conceded the 2 goals aswell. Full back line were solid,even though they conceded 2 penalties(still not certain the second one was merited)and were on top for 90% of the game. Yes Tadgh hurled the world of ball but Gavin O Mahoney scored 5 pts from play at centre forward so surely that's a worrying statistic. The same with Jamie Barron at midfield,looked industrious but yet Paul Browne scores 4 pts! I would still persist with him in that position as he always try's to find the right ball to the forwards and was involved in alot of plays throughout. Moran was excellent in the first half but completely went out of it when Jim Bob Ryan came on. When you think that Kearney,Dillon(again)and Devine were poor and Brick only fair,to put up the score that we did was some going. I think 5 of those pts came from midfield/halfback line positions.
    Over its a good start,one we can hopefully build on and maybe see us in contention for promotion by the end of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Very disappointed we didn't win that game, completely out hurled them in the first half particularly and for a lot of the game. Agree, I thought the second penalty looked soft but I'd say Coughlan was mauling Begley all day so maybe evened out.

I'd be concerned where we are at with inexperienced forwards. Devine showed a great first touch but of course it will take him a while to adapt, Kearney same story. But we finished the game with Stephen Bennett whose not match fit, Shane Bennett who is very young, Martin O Neil who I don't think is good enough for inter-county level and Brick who I don't think is a forward. You can't be carrying 4 forwards and expect to win. Brick actually had the winning of the game, a natural forward would have stuck it over but he didn't trust his wrists though I think he did get one very good score.

Brian O Halloran was good first half but faded, was marking Hickey I guess. Paudi Mahony was very good I thought. I guess your looking at a very young team and great that they still have a good chance of promotion after a game they weren't fancied in. I think performance wise we'd be on a par with what you'll see in 1A this weekend at least but I would say given the preparation we put into this we may not improve to the level other teams might come championship. Enough to be happy about, certainly no evidence yesterday to back up the claim that Cork are big favourites for June already anyway.

Wexford need a last minute point to beat antrim in wexford park

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

Well lads, long time lurker of this page. Great for the insight into how the panel is shaping up.
    From the game last night, O'halloran could be a serious addition to the half forward line if he stays fit, scored 2 and won 5 pointed frees last night? Great contribution.
    Also think Gleeson is essential in HF line, as good as he is at HB, he offers great scoring threat and ball winning ability at 10.
    Alot to be happy with last night though, great to see the 2 bennetts coming on and looks like the notion of Moran at 6 is finished. Still think if D Fives gets fit he is our best option at 6 for the moment.

Anyone watch the highlights back there again? Annoyed, we were done by two of the softest penalties you'll see. The ref even played an advantage rule that doesn't exist as yet for the second one.

Definitely were the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Anyone watch the highlights back there again? Annoyed, we were done by two of the softest penalties you'll see. The ref even played an advantage rule that doesn't exist as yet for the second one.

Have to agree with that, honestly didn't see much in either penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

I see the Brickies were beaten in
    their first match in the Minor B
    Football by St. Oliver's. Must have been missing 7 or 8 players playing for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Didn't get to see the game. Any info on how Gleeson played and anyone think he would be better used in the half forward line?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Gleeson is an excellent player, him and Daragh Fives should be played where the team needs them most. We're strong in the half back line but struggling for scoring forwards, both of these lads are rangy players well able to win ball and well able to take a score. I'd have Gleeson at 10 and Fives at 11 when fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

As a netural, nothing wrong with those two penalties. If i was a Deise man, I would be disappointed as to how were they scored. Unusual for (X2) penalties to be scored in one game. Good result for the Deise though especially McGrath. He's gotten some abuse on this forum...

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    As a netural, nothing wrong with those two penalties. If i was a Deise man, I would be disappointed as to how were they scored. Unusual for (X2) penalties to be scored in one game. Good result for the Deise though especially McGrath. He's gotten some abuse on this forum...

Unusual for 2 penalties to be given in a game, so your conclusion is pretty obvious. Disagree completely, maybe a moot point on my behalf but I can't imagine any fans of other counties being happy if those penalties were awarded against them, very little in them. I think Tadhg might have done better for the first, but the second was a super finish.

Agree completely with you about the last part, especially in the preparation for the game. 11 matches played and its clearly stood to us, were very sharp for a February league opener.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement