Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Day 2021 - Monday 21st & Tuesday 22nd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Was able to sign up for the student prime offer of 6 months free trial then 3.99 per month with no verification required
    All i did was enter a graduation year worked on both my accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

caution wrote:
    Have seen same with another item in prime sale. Import fees and tax charged on original price and not the discount price. However for other items with a discount the import fees and tax are calculated on the discount price and not the original list price. Not sure why it's different.

As far as I know duty should be charged on the discount if discount is shown separately. If it's just reduced without showing the discount then vat not payable on the discount

• Registered Users Posts: 48 caution

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As far as I know duty should be charged on the discount if discount is shown separately. If it's just reduced without showing the discount then vat not payable on the discount

Checked a few more items it seems any of the prime exclusive deals are calculated on the original price so you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So am I correct in understanding as follows:
    1) if product was £100 but now shows at £70, then vat is charged on the £70 (take UK off, then add irish, so would be about £71.75 or so.
    2) if product was £100 and has a prime discount applied of £30 go bring it to £70, then vat is charged at the 100, then has the 30 discount applied? (so would be about 77.50ish?)

So prime day won't be as bountiful for us, unless it's items that are less than the €22 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

dulpit wrote: »
    1) if product was £100 but now shows at £70, then vat is charged on the £70 (take UK off, then add irish, so would be about £71.75 or so.
    2) if product was £100 and has a prime discount applied of £30 go bring it to £70, then vat is charged at the 100, then has the 30 discount applied? (so would be about 77.50ish?)

So prime day won't be as bountiful for us, unless it's items that are less than the €22 mark?

Yes as duty is paid on the value of the goods. In 1 the value is 70 and in 2 it's 100 but the retailer is giving you a discount.

• Advertisement

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Yes as duty is paid on the value of the goods. In 1 the value is 70 and in 2 it's 100 but the retailer is giving you a discount.

That's a mad way of calculating a tax.

(I'm not saying you're wrong btw)

If I was chatting with a seller, and bought a large item worth 200 quid. However, they "value" the product at 20 quid, and I sent them an extra 180 quid as a thank you for being so sound, I'd pay VAT on 20 quid? Which is "the value" of the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

I just put a fire 8 in my basket for a look.
    RRP £99.99
    Deal Price £49.99
    You save £50

Go to basket
    Items:96.96
    Import fees deposit: 22.29
    Total 119.25
    Promotion applied: 38.78
    Exchange rate guarantee: 1.71
    Total: 82.18

In the basket, is item price £99.99 - UK VAT?

Why am I paying €57.18 for the item? The difference between the item original cost and the promotion (which should be 50%?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Trying to buy echo dot 4 listed at 34.99 GBP.

Does this seem right?

Item 49.99
    Import fee deposit 11.50
    Total 61.49
    Discount 15
    Total 46.49 GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dulpit wrote: »

No VAT is charged as a % if what you pay.

• Advertisement

Ring Doorbell Pro and Chime Bundle
    £145.21 Delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Doorbell-Adapter-Two-Way-Detection/dp/B08M2SXT6P

Deals are not as good with Brexit but still better than RRP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ted1 wrote: »
    No VAT is charged as a % if what you pay.

It's not with Prime discounts, as has been explained multiple times in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chopper Dave

dan786 wrote: »
    Ring Doorbell Pro and Chime Bundle
    £145.21 Delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Doorbell-Adapter-Two-Way-Detection/dp/B08M2SXT6P

Deals are not as good with Brexit but still better than RRP

Only slightly better though. I wonder if we would be better off waiting until a certain product goes on sale generally rather than just for Prime Customer Offers as that seems to be better for the VAT Treatment.

Echo Dot 3rd Gen and Ring Doorbell £59.18 Delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Video-Doorbell-Wired-Amazon/dp/B096BBYHGC

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

If there is a warehouse sale, is it only selected items? Or all items that will be included?

If there is a warehouse sale, is it only selected items? Or all items that will be included?

Selected items.

It used to be all items but have been select items past couple of years but there is a large range that is available across all categories.

Prime Day starts at 23:00 tonight on the EU sites - some items may be cheaper from them than UK as no import tax.

Amazon Germany, Spain, Italy and France.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NiceSwan

https://www.hagglezon.com/

not sure if its any good, only found out about it recently, but this site compares all the amazon sites allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

MoodeRator wrote: »
    The cube is currently showing that it will deliver to me here :) But would love to know if the iplayer will work without vpn?

No, it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

has anyone heard about the warehouse deals? Haven't seen anyone on hotukdeals yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That's a mad way of calculating a tax.

(I'm not saying you're wrong btw)

If I was chatting with a seller, and bought a large item worth 200 quid. However, they "value" the product at 20 quid, and I sent them an extra 180 quid as a thank you for being so sound, I'd pay VAT on 20 quid? Which is "the value" of the item?

Value is 200 quid plus you're committing tax fraud.

TheDriver wrote: »
    has anyone heard about the warehouse deals? Haven't seen anyone on hotukdeals yet

Its on every year for Prime Days and Black Friday so should be this year also. Should know for definite at 23:00 once EU sale starts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dan786 wrote: »
    Prime Day starts at 23:00 tonight on the EU sites - some items may be cheaper from them than UK as no import tax.

Amazon Germany, Spain, Italy and France.

But you don't get Prime benefits on that website as an Irish customer.

I just think Primeday is a non event for Irish customers now until website and/or distribution centre is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

sugarman wrote: »
    You do, just not free postage.

You still get Prime exclusive offers and prices, some of which are region specific so definitely worth keeping tabs on things.

But the free postage is the main benefit of Prime.

murpho999 wrote: »

I just think Primeday is a non event for Irish customers now until website and/or distribution centre is up and running.

Yes you do get all the discounts from all EU sites for Prime day if you are a Prime member, you can sign up to free trial and get deals for free. You just dont get free prime delivery.

I dont think you understand the concept, the whole Prime Day is about discounts for prime users. Nothing special to do with delivery etc.

murpho999 wrote: »
    But the free postage is the main benefit of Prime.

It's only really a noticeable benefit on small purchases. If you're saving €100+ on a deal from one of the EU sites, the €6/7 for shipping isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭POBox19

Amazon have an issue with the vat conversion for Irish customers. You should only pay 2.5% over the UK£ price for the vat difference if you are a Prime customer and the item is “free delivery”. They have acknowledged this to me and are working to fix it. Do not pay over the odds, contact their customer support and pay the correct price. Take off UK 20% vat and add on Irish vat 23% to get the right £price
    If the UK price is £50.00 don’t pay more than £51.25 with Prime.

murpho999 wrote:

Of course you do. It's the same as any other year. Irish VAT is 3 percent higher than the UK vat rate. That's the only difference compared to pre Brexit. Well 3 percent & stronger sterling I suppose

• Advertisement

POBox19 wrote:
    Amazon have an issue with the vat conversion for Irish customers. You should only pay 2.5% over the UK£ price for the vat difference if you are a Prime customer and the item is “free deliveryâ€. They have acknowledged this to me and are working to fix it. Do not pay over the odds, contact their customer support and pay the correct price. Take off UK 20% vat and add on Irish vat 23% to get the right £price If the UK price is £50.00 don’t pay more than £51.25 with Prime.

You pay a duty deposit. This isn’t the final price. They refund any difference that they collect from what they pay revenue. It takes over a month before refunds start coming but they do refund the money without being asked

Advertisement