Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think it's pretty clear when people say. "X is a great drop of whiskey" that they are giving their opinion. No need to stick IMO in everywhere.
    And something like "X is a single malt/blend/rye based" is a statement of fact

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

A large neat Drumguish single highland malt, very nice indeed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Was at a wedding and win the money on the speech times so treated myself to a redbreast 21
    Was good but didn't think it was worth the price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The idea is that you're supposed to use the cash to buy a round for the table. You should have stuck with Jameson!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The idea is that you're supposed to use the cash to buy a round for the table. You should have stuck with Jameson!

I do admire people who are completely pig ignorant like that though. Just blissfully unaware/couldn't give a shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The victor must get some benefits! Maybe there was enough in the pot to cover both the Redbreast and a round (of non Redbreasts).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

My group always do that by putting a fiver in each, the winner would lose money buying a round.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

My group always do that by putting a fiver in each, the winner would lose money buying a round.

It would be your cheapest round of the night... and you'll get pints back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Apologies if I missed any posts re it, but is there issues with Red Spot availability? Drained my bottle last week to find it seems to be out of stock everywhere, even Mitchell's. I know it got mixed reviews but I personally found it head and shoulders above Green and Yellow Spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Apologies if I missed any posts re it, but is there issues with Red Spot availability? Drained my bottle last week to find it seems to be out of stock everywhere, even Mitchell's. I know it got mixed reviews but I personally found it head and shoulders above Green and Yellow Spot.

It's sold out everywhere. If you know anyone up north they have it in stock on Amazon and whiskey exchange.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    It's sold out everywhere. If you know anyone up north they have it in stock on Amazon and whiskey exchange.

Had seen that alright. It's in the airport too but that seems to be it for Ireland. I presume they'll produce more at some stage?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Had seen that alright. It's in the airport too but that seems to be it for Ireland. I presume they'll produce more at some stage?!

I remember there was stock issues soon after it came out too. Mitchell and Sons in the IFSC might be the best people to ask when more stock will be released.

Well, Mitchell's got back super quick - Red Spot batch 2 should be out end August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think I got good deals in Manchester airport on Sunday. Connemara and Tyrconnell single malts for approx. £20 each.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Connemara and Tyrconnell single malts for approx. £20 each.
    Happy to hear that Connemara offer is still out there. I passed on it at £26 in Leeds-Bradford last week.

Has anyone tried the Ardfallen blended Irish whiskey in ALDI?
    It's from West Cork Distillers, priced at €19.

https://www.checkout.ie/drinks/aldi-launches-new-exclusive-ardfallen-irish-whiskey-77054

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Ardfallen blended Irish whiskey in ALDI?
    It's from West Cork Distillers, priced at €19.

https://www.checkout.ie/drinks/aldi-launches-new-exclusive-ardfallen-irish-whiskey-77054

Pretty drinkable, imo.
    Not amazing, by any means but fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

It's mad how surprisingly good those Lidl/Aldi whiskeys are. The Dun Dalgan Irish whiskey from Lidl is well drinkable too.

Gotta say it again but the Ben Bracken Single Malt scotches from Lidl are great. Comes in Speyside, Islay and Highland varieties. Tasty single malt scotches for ~24 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I know that and I used the "winnings" to but a round for people. I just bought myself the RB 21 it off what would've been my round later that night 😉

The Nal wrote:
    I do admire people who are completely pig ignorant like that though. Just blissfully unaware/couldn't give a shít.

Was neither of these, see above. However have been on the other side of this where someone won the popular and ****ed off for the rest of the night

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last wedding I was at that did that had counter-rotating glasses for the couples names and just before the last line of the last speech I had both of them in front of me. And then neither of them!

One winner bought a round, the other pocketed the lot. Coincidentally they were dumped shortly afterwards but I don't think being a tight bastard was the reason why.

Did a cupboard dig there and I found I have a bottle of Kilbeggan Grain (ex Greenore) I was given for a birthday two and a half years ago unopened. That'll be tonights sip I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's mad how surprisingly good those Lidl/Aldi whiskeys are. The Dun Dalgan Irish whiskey from Lidl is well drinkable too.

Gotta say it again but the Ben Bracken Single Malt scotches from Lidl are great. Comes in Speyside, Islay and Highland varieties. Tasty single malt scotches for ~24 quid.

I picked up a bottle of Ben Bracken and agree. Was it a special offer or is it always available? I seemed to pick up the last bottle and don't get to Lidl often. But I'd go out of my way to replace the bottle when it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I picked up a bottle of Ben Bracken and agree. Was it a special offer or is it always available? I seemed to pick up the last bottle and don't get to Lidl often. But I'd go out of my way to replace the bottle when it's gone.

Not a special offer I don't think but it seems to go in and out of stock periodically. I bought another bottle of the Islay one to replace one I've just finished as they were restocked in my local Lidl. A great one for taking places you wouldn't bring your pricier whiskeys to.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

In the past i have found that i am not the biggest fan of scotch and usually find some of it quite overpowering to my taste. I cant rightly remember but ive probably only ever tried the cheaper belnded whiskeys and made a decision on it from there. So perhaps an oversight on my part.

But tried some on a recent visit to Scotland with some recommendations from a friend and i must say while i wasnt a fan of them all i did find some extremely tasty and i will certainly be purchasing some in the near future.

Tallisker 10 probably the favorite of those i tried. So i might start with a bottle of that. I see it on Celtic Whiskey for €59.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

In the past i have found that i am not the biggest fan of scotch and usually find some of it quite overpowering to my taste. I cant rightly remember but ive probably only ever tried the cheaper belnded whiskeys and made a decision on it from there. So perhaps an oversight on my part.

But tried some on a recent visit to Scotland with some recommendations from a friend and i must say while i wasnt a fan of them all i did find some extremely tasty and i will certainly be purchasing some in the near future.

Tallisker 10 probably the favorite of those i tried. So i might start with a bottle of that. I see it on Celtic Whiskey for €59.

A great bottle!
    I get it on Amazon for about 40 - 45 thou, 59 seems expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

A great bottle!

Cheers. Only just back and was only tasting it in a couple of bars there so wasnt really sure of the retail price. Will have a look around.

Do you use Parcel Motel when using Amazon? Always wary to put booze through that as ive heard it gets stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Cheers. Only just back and was only tasting it in a couple of bars there so wasnt really sure of the retail price. Will have a look around.

Do you use Parcel Motel when using Amazon? Always wary to put booze through that as ive heard it gets stopped.

Take it to PM lads!

There's three main styles of single malt Scotch, based on the region.
    Talisker is from Islay, the signature of which is more of a smoky \ peaty style.
    Speyside is a lighter, more fruity \ sherry based style.
    Highlands is somewhere in between.

So if you like Talisker, you want to try Islay malts.
    https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/scotch-whiskey/getting-know-scotch-whisky-islay-skye/

LIDL have a range of single malts at the moment from Ben Bracken for the regions above, there's no age statement, but it would give you an idea of the styles for €25 a bottle (see good reviews earlier in this thread).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Talisker is from Skye but is stylistically similar to Islay products

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

A great bottle!

Yeah, it's €50 in Tesco. Was recently on offer there for €45 and of course was on offer there for an outrageously great price of €30 in the weeks before Christmas last year.

Get hold of a €10 off €50 spend voucher for Tesco (in today's Indo I think) and you'll get it for €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Was browsing Rum online and found a familiar bottle:

Literally the exact same (bar the label obviously) as Redbreast Dream Cask 20 Year PX. Thought I struck gold :o

486132.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement