Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    It's almost certainly easier to produce an animated series at the minute than a live action one.

Last update on Discovery was at the start of lockdown from the the actor who plays Culber, saying it had entered post production IIRC. So as far as we know it has finished shooting and should be in the same general sphere as Lower Decks. So I'd have said no more or less hassle than any other production ATM but the absence of ANY news is weird. Maybe CBS have staggered it out more given the poverty of new productions. But then even a release date is non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Looks like a cross between Final Space + Rick and Morty.

I'll check it out when it airs, but it's clearly more aimed to a younger crowd and is a lot more focused on humour than what we've seen before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It looks better than I expected, but it still seems pretty disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    A couple of the jokes made me laugh, I can't deny but watching it in action it reminds that this is a weird fit. Nothing about the Trek universe ever screamed comedy and that's a hurdle. Even if the final product is genuinely funny I'd be surprised if it lasted past a single season.

Edit: it also seems weird we've got a full trailer for this, yet still starved for detail or new footage of Discovery

I would say we will have something about it soon more than likely after the next Comic Con event.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It looks kinda like ya'know... SO dirivitive, and stuff.

Except... in SPACE! Which is weird, right?! AAAAHHHHH. LOL. Just having SO much super fun right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm hoping this is just a poorly conceived trailer and the actual show has a bit more character depth and smarts than a constant parade of "OMG we're so random!!" gags against the lazy Final Space aesthetic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm hoping this is just a poorly conceived trailer and the actual show has a bit more character depth and smarts than a constant parade of "OMG we're so random!!" gags against the lazy Final Space aesthetic

Expecting a mix of Rick n Morty and Final Space.

I thought both shows were quite good.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

A scene from the first episode:

Looks like this whole style of comedy and animation might annoy me a bit to be honest. Everything dialed up to 90. Quirky, chripy, zany antics and lots of "oh no you DIDN'T!!! AHHHHH" gags.

We shall soon see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

It's not looking good. I'm really not fond of it's dumb to take your job seriously be quirky instead like me characters.

I don't get why they'd change the established Romulan ale to Romulan whiskey, the joke works the same without it.

Huh. I hate those people with every fibre of my being. Way to follow a trend Lower Decks.

I ask again: who on earth is this for? Discovery and Picard may have divided but it was still new Trek. This is just ... ... Uhhh...

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    A scene from the first episode:

Looks like this whole style of comedy and animation might annoy me a bit to be honest. Everything dialed up to 90. Quirky, chripy, zany antics and lots of "oh no you DIDN'T!!! AHHHHH" gags.

We shall soon see!

I actually thought it was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Huh. I hate those people with every fibre of my being. Way to follow a trend Lower Decks.

I ask again: who on earth is this for? Discovery and Picard may have divided but it was still new Trek. This is just ... ... Uhhh...

I know it's premature to judge an entire series on a single clip but surely they could have picked something better than this? It didn't even raise a chuckle from me. It's like they took the most obvious shallow traits of shows like Rick 'n Morty - characters babbling incessantly, drunk, gory injuries and applied it to a Trek show and I say this as someone who *likes* R&M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Well the artwork at the start showing the station and ships was good. The rest, urgh!

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I know it's premature to judge an entire series on a single clip but surely they could have picked something better than this? It didn't even raise a chuckle from me. It's like they took the most obvious shallow traits of shows like Rick 'n Morty - characters babbling incessantly, drunk, gory injuries and applied it to a Trek show and I say this as someone who *likes* R&M.

Oh god, yeah, the babbling. That's not unique to cartoons or R&M though IMO; I get the impression a lot of latter day, mainstream American comedy loves improv or that "stream of consciousness" comedy, which I have a very limited tolerance for. Not everyone can pull it off and most of the time just comes off like gibberish.

Oh god, yeah, the babbling. That's not unique to cartoons or R&M though IMO; I get the impression a lot of latter day, mainstream American comedy loves improv or that "stream of consciousness" comedy, which I have a very limited tolerance for. Not everyone can pull it off and most of the time just comes off like gibberish.

And it's not even a stream of consciousness, really, it's just babbling.

I've noticed it even in otherwise pretty great modern animated shows like Bob's Burgers or Archer -- there's barely a single second of screen time without some character talking, often at what sounds like x1.5 speed. Same thing in this Lower Decks clip and it's not a good look so far.

No time to think or take in the scene, just racingForwardAllTheTimeWithNewGagLOLOhWowLookAtThisCanYouImagine?!SoRandomMyGodLOL..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well the artwork at the start showing the station and ships was good. The rest, urgh!

Sums it up for me.. this hyper-active random nonsense-spouting shyte does nothing for me.

It's like they're desperately trying to copy the success of the Orville (which significantly dialled down a lot of that comedy), but it just doesn't work in the context of the Trek Universe we know (and given this is set a lot more obviously in the post-TNG world than Picard) these characters would never have made it into/through the Academy in the first place, never mind onto to a ship!

I just realised they're all copies of the Lower Decks episode characters except you take out the most interesting one, Sito Jaxa, and replace her with someone insufferable

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First episode is out. It's very energetic and funny.

Star Trek zealots will probably hate it. :)

To be fair, this is also going to come down to people's relative tastes for humour. Trek fans might hate it because they hate the comedic approach :D

"Energetic" though tells me the sugar-rush delivery from the clips & trailers is representative of the actual episode. That about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, I don't hate that though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭pah

Just watched it. It's pretty frenetic throughout. About 80% of it is characters shouting at each other turned up to 11. Too much 21st century speak that doesn't fit the era IMO but I can forgive that, they need to make it relevant I guess. I'll keep watching for now, it has potential.

That was pretty good :). Better than I was expecting.

Does feel like it's all going at 1.5 speed but I guess they only have half the time to play with.

I liked it.

That was pretty good overall. Very much a touch of Rick n Morty to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone any links to where this can be viewed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Mr E wrote: »
    Star Trek zealots will probably hate it. :)

From someone that's met Shatner... I quite enjoyed it!

Better than Picard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone any links to where this can be viewed.

You really should avoid bit torrent, you know viruses and stuff.

I'm quite surprised one of the main international streaming sites hasn't picked this up - though perhaps they're just seeing what the reaction is like first. Unexplored Territory by all accounts

It might speak to how well STD and STP are doing internationally. No point in buying something no one is watching.

If they toned down a LOT of the hyperactive shyte and contemporary slang, there could be the guts of a decent show in there. It feels like they're trying to ape The Orville without realising that it was that stuff which, when toned down, made that show all the better.

It's certainly much more in the classic Trek aesthetic than Picard or Discovery from a visuals perspective as well as the references to other chartacters from the Universe while they were in Ten Forward (or whatever the y call it on this ship) at the end.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    It might speak to how well STD and STP are doing internationally. No point in buying something no one is watching.

Indeed.. if you believe the reports, both Netflix and Amazon likely passed on this one as a result of being burned on those earlier shows.

Advertisement