Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-05-2018, 19:30   #31
savannahkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastardly00 View Post
Why is there such a need to make excuses that we lost yesterday...

The pitch didn't suit us..  Definitely true and in addition in was in Galway.
The wind changed... Definitely true
We have a few injuries.. Definitely tue.
It was still a close match with 10 minutes to go.. Definitely true.
It's okay because in 2012 they beat us in Leinster then we won later in the year.. That we beat them after suffering a heavy defeat at their hand in 2012 Definitely true.

Galway were clearly the better team yesterday,  Definitely true
It is also true they were aided by the first three above and your last two points are simple facts of history now.
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 19:57   #32
ClanofLams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayVaughan1984 View Post
Daithi Burke should really have got a straight red.He has form,ripping off Bonners helmet a few years ago.And Ref bottled it massively by failing to book McInerney.
Leahy certainly should start.
That's Adrian Tuohy you are thinking off in relation to Bonner maher. Burke was lucky to stay on the pitch yesterday but he's far from a dirty player.
28-05-2018, 20:33   #33
citykat

Jesus lads need to get a grip. Yesterdays game is practically meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It was always going to be difficult against Galway in Galway. The next and final game is far more important and the outcome of that far more significant. No harm in being brought back down to earth. Somebody mentioned 2012 and how useful the humbling in the leinster final eventually turned out to be. Galway are probably the best team in the country at the moment. Would I fear them? Not a bit. The panel hasn't changed that much over the last few years. They've folded often enough to us in the recent past to suggest to me that in a crunch against us they'll to do the same again.
28-05-2018, 20:42   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookville View Post
There strenght and conditioning coach is suppose to be excellent.
Was with Tipp in '16 and with Galway last year, he certainly is putting together an incredibly impressive CV
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 21:09   #35
brookville

Quote:
Originally Posted by danganabu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookville View Post
There strenght and conditioning coach is suppose to be excellent.
Was with Tipp in '16 and with Galway last year, he certainly is putting together an incredibly impressive CV
Turned down a role with munster i think aswell i think.he definitely has them in good condition.It'll be intresting to see how the next few weeks go for galway and wexford because we were flat yesterday but we havent being impressive so far in the championship i know these games are about winning but in particular our fowards have struggled.
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 23:30   #36
MfMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykat View Post
Jesus lads need to get a grip. Yesterdays game is practically meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It was always going to be difficult against Galway in Galway. The next and final game is far more important and the outcome of that far more significant. No harm in being brought back down to earth. Somebody mentioned 2012 and how useful the humbling in the leinster final eventually turned out to be. Galway are probably the best team in the country at the moment. Would I fear them? Not a bit. The panel hasn't changed that much over the last few years. They've folded often enough to us in the recent past to suggest to me that in a crunch against us they'll to do the same again.
Dream on son.

Wind didn't change yesterday, may have moderated a little if any.
"Pitch didn't suit us" - oh come on, this is the mighty KK, not an upcoming county trying to make a mark in the game.
Thanks from:
28-05-2018, 23:34   #37
Topcat32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfMan View Post
Dream on son.

"Pitch didn't suit us" - oh come on, this is the mighty KK, not an upcoming county trying to make a mark in the game.
Wind didn't change but may have moderated? Classic contradiction in terms there.

Helps to read over your post when attempting to be smart arse.
28-05-2018, 23:41   #38
MfMan

Wind didn't change direction, as some would appear to suggest. KK still had the benefit of it in the second half.
28-05-2018, 23:43   #39
MfMan

Wind didn't change direction, as some would appear to suggest. I doubt if it even died any...
Advertisement
28-05-2018, 23:52   #40
Topcat32

Quote:
Wind didn't change direction, as some would appear to suggest. I doubt if it even died any...
Nobody suggested it changed direction, they expressed an opinion that it calmed down, which is pretty typical for a 4 pm match in Salthill at this time of year, don't think the wind had much of a bearing on the result either way anyway.
28-05-2018, 23:56   #41
brookville

Quote:
It did seem to die a bit skehill was landing them on our full back line but murphy couldnt get that distance in the 2nd but we certainly cant be using that as any kind of an excuse.Its a credit to the lads that they had it so close with 10 mins left despite playing 2nd fiddle and living of scraps we have alot to work on over the next few weeks
29-05-2018, 00:45   #42
SteJer

Yesterday went pretty much along the lines I was expecting. If anything I thought it might even be worse. Galway really only pulled away in the last 15 minutes. Up to that we had every chance of winning. Galway showed their experience in the closing stages. They are in year 4 of their current system/style of play with practically the same panel of players. We are in our first year of a complete change in our style of play and with a lot of rookies.

The fact the game was in Salthill was always going to make it an even harder task. Overall it was a great learning experience for our younger players and I'm sure it will benefit them for the remainder of this year.

I would make some positional & personnel changes for the Wexford game. On their day Paul Murphy, Cillian Buckley and Padraig Walsh are up there with the best corner & wing backs in the country. None of them are currently playing in their best positions, which in my opinion weakens the team considerably.

The defence wasn't the biggest problem yesterday but I think moving these 3 players to their best positions will improve the overall balance and performance of the team. Mainly because Padraig Walsh & Cillian Buckley will push forward at every opportunity and either try take a score or give a good pass. This is something that neither Conor Delaney or Paul Murphy do at wing back. If at corner back Paul Murphy would provide great cover across the full back line, something which Joey Holden & Enda Morrissey don't really do.

Therefore my back 7 would be:

Eoin Murphy
Paul Murphy
Conor Delaney
Paddy Deegan
Padraig Walsh
Jason Cleere
Cillian Buckley

With Richie Leahy not playing up to his standards at the moment I would leave the midfield pairing as:

James Maher
Conor Fogarty

However, I feel that they are very similar the way they play and we would be a much better team with an in form Richie Leahy driving forward at every opportunity whilst James Maher or Conor Fogarty helps out the defence.

The forwards are the biggest concern. Forgetting about positions for now the following should start against Wexford:

TJ Reid
Walter Walsh
Luke Scanlon

After that we have a number of experienced players currently playing well below their best for one reason or another, these are:

Colin Fennelly
Ger Alyward
Liam Blanchfield

Then we have a number of newer players who are so far struggling to get up to speed with championship hurling, these are:

Martin Keoghan
John Donnelly
Bill Sheehan

If Richie Hogan is fit he will start. He would be a very welcome addition and he might take some of the oppositions attention away from TJ Reid.

I'd like to see TJ Reid play less at centre forward and Walter Walsh play less at full forward. Colin Fennelly is a very good full forward on his day. It's hard to know if he'll be fit enough for the Wexford game but I'll assume he will be.

Therefore the six forwards and positions I'd go for are:

Walter Walsh
Richie Hogan
TJ Reid
Luke Scanlon
Colin Fennelly
Liam Blanchfield

I think we should be able to beat Wexford. Whether that takes us to a Leinster Final or qualifier only time will tell. Either way anything after that is continued bonus territory after our league title.

Last edited by SteJer; 29-05-2018 at 00:49.
29-05-2018, 03:07   #43
Amprodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspurs View Post
I would say they were at 83% .....

Why does their percentage of requirement matter so much to you? .
Because it tells me who had more of the possession in the game. Basically who dominated more throughout the game.

Also I said Kilkenny won't win All Ireland playing like yesterday but still have time to change their setup.
29-05-2018, 06:23   #44
citykat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by citykat View Post
Dream on son.

Wtf are you on about?
29-05-2018, 06:48   #45
Twiceasnice97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye6 View Post
And these young Cork/Clare/Limerick forwards have won how many senior or minor All-Irelands this century between them?

In the recent National League in Division 1A.
Kilkenny scored 4-106 (118)
Clare scored 5-95 (110)
Cork Scored 4-93 (105)
Of course Limerick in 1B did score 8-114 (138), thanks to 1-25 against Laois and 3-21 against Antrim, teams that are not competing in the Provincial championship.

I'm sorry I've forgotten what your point is.....
kilkenny played 8 matchs
clare and cork both played 6 matchs

try it with scoring averages

then take out placed balls and put the scores up from play and see how it looks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size