Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Grats

As SteJer said the following 7 in the back
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Conor Delaney
    Paddy Deegan
    Padraig Walsh
    Jason Cleere
    Cillian Buckley
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After that [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maher Leahy[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reid Walsh  Donnelly[/font]
    Blanchfield Fennelly Scanlan

Not too sure about having Cleere in front of Delaney. Both inexperienced. Perhaps Deegan at 3, Cleere at 6 or Delaney at 3, P Walsh at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭brookville

The league was the time to be trying full or center back granted cleere was injured but its unlikely we'll see any changes now in those positions.
    Murphy has struggled for form at 2 since the 16 final so maybe he needs a change.
    Leahys best position is mf but maher has being impressive i could see cody trying to mould leahy into a wing foward eventually but for the moment he had a good league at midfield id like to see him back there but then where do you put fogarty it didnt work last year with him in the half back line.
    A fit hogan would give us a big lift if we could get him back for the next match and hopefully we see kevin kelly back in the next few weeks we should be stronger.

In order to avoid confusion when posters are posting a team, I wonder would it make sense to post the team you would like to see. Then nearer to the match we can start guessing what Cody will pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

I've noticed alot of posts over the past yeat about Paul Murphys poor form since 2016 All ire. I think its a bit harsh.
    Between 2011 and 2016 Murphy in my eyes was the best corner back in the country by a long way.
    In 2015 and 2016 he was outstanding and doing the mopping up of 2 men after JJ's retirement and Jackies injuries.
    He had a poor final in 16 but not on his own there and the full back line were on a hiding to nothing that day.
    He seemed to take a confidence hit after that and wasn't at his usual standards last season. But he was being judged against his usual 8/10 standards.
    I think we have to get him back at 2 and if he can get back to the kind of form he's shown consistently over 6/7 years then it will take a huge amount of pressure off Padraig, who unfortunately looks like will be kept at 3 rather than out the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Charlie69

minty81 wrote: »
    I've noticed alot of posts over the past yeat about Paul Murphys poor form since 2016 All ire. I think its a bit harsh.
    Between 2011 and 2016 Murphy in my eyes was the best corner back in the country by a long way.
    In 2015 and 2016 he was outstanding and doing the mopping up of 2 men after JJ's retirement and Jackies injuries.
    He had a poor final in 16 but not on his own there and the full back line were on a hiding to nothing that day.
    He seemed to take a confidence hit after that and wasn't at his usual standards last season. But he was being judged against his usual 8/10 standards.
    I think we have to get him back at 2 and if he can get back to the kind of form he's shown consistently over 6/7 years then it will take a huge amount of pressure off Padraig, who unfortunately looks like will be kept at 3 rather than out the field.

I agree totally, I also think he has come in for a lot of unfair criticism. I know he hasn't been operating at his best but his best is very very good.

He's still lightyears ahead of a Conor O'Shea or a Paddy Deegan for that matter. Would definitely put him back in at number 2 as nobody else has been able to nail down a place there anyway.

For what it's worth I would also like to see Padraig back at number 5 (Joey at number 3 for me) but that's not going to happen now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Team I would like to see against wex:
    E Murphy
    P Murphy C Delaney P Deegan
    P Walsh J Cleere C Buckley
    R Leahy J Maher
    W Walsh R Hogan TJ
    J Donnolly C Fennelly L Scanlon.

Don't think there would be much differnce between Delaney and Walsh at 3 but think Walsh be much better at 5. Leahy would give us speed and abit of directness around the middle and has great hand. Hopefully hogan takes pressure of TJ and I Think Fennelly has speed and power to cause Ryan big problems again.

We'd all like to see padraig and buckley on the half back line but i think cody had his mind set on padraig at 3 and thats that.Personally i would of threw delaney in at 3 in the league final and see how he got on with forde.He was 3 years at u21 full back.
    Theres no doubt padraig struggles with big men and although conor cooney got 4 points last sunday a few came late in the match when the heads were down and padraig and deegan i thought done ok.
    Our fowards will have to up it the next day colin after being used effectively as a sub was quite but he has a habit of blowing hot and cold but he'll hopefully start against wexford.
    My team for wexford
    Murphy
    Holden,walsh,deegan
    Delaney,buckley,murphy
    maher,fogarty
    wally,tj,leahy
    donnelly,colin,scanlon
    Hopefully hogan will be near the team and aylward and cleere is recovered from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Putting Delaney in at full back in his first year of senior hurling would be a disaster. Let him establish himself as an inter county player and then move him back. You could ruin him putting him straight back. Our defensive issues are not entirely based on individuals its more a systems failure. The distance between our half and full back line is too big. This wasn't as big an issue in the league as Bucks sat deep. Against Dublin he was forced to mark Keaney and last Sunday he marked Joe who drifts out into the middle leaving acres behind him. Our other big issues are just dealing with big men with small players. Rushe and Cooney are immense in the air and have the height on PW. Cooney has the hurling to back it up whereas Rushe just turned and charged similar to Conor Whelan at the weekend. Nothing a defender can do there except pray the ref goes your way more often than not. More of a concern last Sunday was our inability to be anywhere near a breaking ball. But ultimately Galway are a better team than us so its natural they'd win more ball than us.

I say stick to what we're doing and allow the team to develop. If we keep changing we'll achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Are we being a little harsh on the lads no one expected us to be anywhere near given the young lads and rebuilding. The league was a bonus. Was it more we made Galway look good? We didn't turn up 1-2 from play is poor but we can't win every game and the lads will learn from this. Its not very often kilkenny have failures in scoring like that often so a bad day at the office. The pitch was very poor and they should have been down to 14 at least. I don't think we can play much worse so onwards and upwards let's support the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Are we being a little harsh on the lads no one expected us to be anywhere near given the young lads and rebuilding. The league was a bonus. Was it more we made Galway look good? We didn't turn up 1-2 from play is poor but we can't win every game and the lads will learn from this. Its not very often kilkenny have failures in scoring like that often so a bad day at the office. The pitch was very poor and they should have been down to 14 at least. I don't think we can play much worse so onwards and upwards let's support the lads

I agree totally, let’s fill Nolan park on Saturday week and support this KK team and drive them on to a Leinster final. Up the black and amber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭droppingball

This year wexford have become far more expansive and diarmaid o keefe and paudie foley have been going forward from wing back. They.have been adding a few scores between them and it gives them an outlet that teams aren't used to dealing with.

I think wexford game plan will be to man mark tj and walter and mark the other forwards based on best match ups.

So I would put tj and walter at half forward for three reasons

1. It could drag there designated marker which could be Liam Ryan or Matthew Hanlon out of position.

2. This could leave a smaller back in a central position and it would possibly mean o keefe might end up centre back or corner back which restrict his attacking or means if he is attacking from centre back that he is running into traffic.

3. Even If the wexford backs hold there position, Foley and o keefe won't bomb on as much with Walter and tj to worry about

I would start Colin at full as he had a field day against them last yr and I would leave him and Scanlon inside with donnelly centre forward and blanchfield dropping from full line to cover sweeper. Blanchfield would have to do loads of work and cover ground to do this job.hopefully then Richie could come in for donnelly or blanchfield if fit.

I would play Leahy and Maher midfield and get them looking for short ball of whoever our spare defender is most likely deegan and work it through channels and hit fennelly and Scanlon with better ball than in galway as with only 5 forwards the backs won't be as pressured as they were in salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

All this talk of moving this player here, or that player there......

Where do these players play for their club ?
    For example
    Is Padraig a full back for Tullaroan?
    Is Maher in midfield for Lachtains ?
    Is Leahy a half forward for the Rower ?

Does it matter to Cody where a player plays for the club, if he wants the player playing somewhere else for the county ? Is it taken into consideration I wonder ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Village87

This year wexford have become far more expansive and diarmaid o keefe and paudie foley have been going forward from wing back. They.have been adding a few scores between them and it gives them an outlet that teams aren't used to dealing with.

I think wexford game plan will be to man mark tj and walter and mark the other forwards based on best match ups.

1. It could drag there designated marker which could be Liam Ryan or Matthew Hanlon out of position.

2. This could leave a smaller back in a central position and it would possibly mean o keefe might end up centre back or corner back which restrict his attacking or means if he is attacking from centre back that he is running into traffic.

3. Even If the wexford backs hold there position, Foley and o keefe won't bomb on as much with Walter and tj to worry about

I would start Colin at full as he had a field day against them last yr and I would leave him and Scanlon inside with donnelly centre forward and blanchfield dropping from full line to cover sweeper. Blanchfield would have to do loads of work and cover ground to do this job.hopefully then Richie could come in for donnelly or blanchfield if fit.

I would play Leahy and Maher midfield and get them looking for short ball of whoever our spare defender is most likely deegan and work it through channels and hit fennelly and Scanlon with better ball than in galway as with only 5 forwards the backs won't be as pressured as they were in salthill.

Excellent Post, i agree with everything there, plenty of mobility & hurling there

Village87, I am very interested to know what team you'd like to see line out as you appear to have good knowledge of the players form in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Comerman

Grats wrote: »
    Village87, I am very interested to know what team you'd like to see line out as you appear to have good knowledge of the players form in the last few years.
    Conor Fogerty won't make it. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

When did all this talk come into punditry and analysis of game plans that such and such a player is going to be 'man marked'?
    Is that not what backs have been doing for the last 130 years??

Both teams are familar with each other after meeting twice last year and already 3 times this year.
    Saturday is a huge game id expect wexford to put it up to galway at home but it'll be a big ask for them to recover and get up for another big match against us 7 days later so we definitely have an advantage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any word on Richie Hogan? Anybody think he will start V Wexford or will he get 15mins in the 2nd half?

Also, anybody know how far away is Kevin Kelly from match time?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Any word on Richie Hogan? Anybody think he will start V Wexford or will he get 15mins in the 2nd half?

Also, anybody know how far away is Kevin Kelly from match time?

Regarding Richie, I hope he is given as much time as possible. I don't think there is much point playing him this early in the championship (given that we are pretty much guaranteed at least a quarter final place)

kevin kelly is back running anyway hopefully he can get back into the squad soon.
    Cleere and aylward would also be welcome additions to the panel.Is richie reid injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Village87

Grats wrote: »

As stated here many times before the difference between the teams we pick and the team Brian Cody will pick will vary.

As there has been a lot of matches over the last few months, club matches, national league and a number players coming back from injury the actual chance to earn your place on the team in training must be limited. Im sure there will be couple of games in the lead up to the Wexford match and their are plenty of spots available. These matches must be taking their toll on the guys in their first year, so i predict Brian Cody will go with lads like Colin Fennelly and Riche Hogan v Wexford, who will be fresh and need game time as the big games are close by.

Centre back is a big problem, Kilkenny have tried 3/4 hurlers there so far this year and are robbing Peter to pay Paul by playing Buckley there, he had a good league when teams, being realistic were trying hard alright but not as ruthlessly as they are on the line or the field as championship. Every facade of a players weakness will be highlighted before big games in Championship and Buckleys hurling ability in tight spaces is leaving him down. Having to mark his man and getting nailed every time in possession as he plays Kilkennys sweeper is putting a lot of pressure on him(opposition are all over this). I personally would have him midfield or half back and dictate a game by picking up loose possessions. Centre backs now tend to be strong aggressive men like Georoid Mcinerney, Paidi Maher etc.

My team

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy Rob Lennon (a lot of big no.14 around) P Deegan
    Delaney Padraig Walsh Buckley
    Leahy Maher
    TJ Hogan Fennelly(work rate)
    Donnelly Walsh Scanlan

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I do think if Cody is going to tinker with his FB and CB this is the time to do it. I personally feel that we have struggled badly in the forwards due to a poor half back line. The ball going in to the forwards has being poor. Now the forward lines are not as good as years ago but you have to give them good ball. Delaney is now after having a good run in the league and championship so I think it’s time to put him in FB and see if he can do a job. If I was naming a team I would go like this if players were fit:

Murphy
    P Murphy. Delaney. Deegan
    P Walsh. Cleere. Buckley
    Maher. Hogan
    Fennelly. TJ Leahy
    Scanlon. W Walsh Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

My team
    Murphy
    Murphy
    Delaney
    Deegan
    Padraig
    Cleere
    Buckley
    Maher
    Leahy
    Richie
    Tj
    Colin
    Sxanlon
    Waltee
    Awlyard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

So winner of KK v Wexford through to the Leinster Final, loser plays McDonagh team. Should get another two games after that match. Experience for a lot of the younger players which hopefully will stand to them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

blackcard wrote: »
    So winner of KK v Wexford through to the Leinster Final, loser plays McDonagh team. Should get another two games after that match. Experience for a lot of the younger players which hopefully will stand to them next year.

I think Wexford looked very jaded. From the first whistle, they were very sluggish. It suits us that we have a 2 weeks break - we should be fresher and we're at home also.

One anther note, it's hard to know - may be easier to go through as third placed team. Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I think Wexford looked very jaded. From the first whistle, they were very sluggish. It suits us that we have a 2 weeks break - we should be fresher and we're at home also.

One anther note, it's hard to know - may be easier to go through as third placed team. Time will tell!

Maybe true that it could be easier going through as the 3rd team but I've no doubt our lads would love to have a crack at galway in the leinster final. The more games like this they get the better albeit with a bit of a break in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

blackcard wrote: »

If we cant beat that Wexford team at home, the CB should pull Kilkenny out of the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Maybe true that it could be easier going through as the 3rd team but I've no doubt our lads would love to have a crack at galway in the leinster final. The more games like this they get the better albeit with a bit of a break in between.

I'd say this works both ways. Galway will be hoping for Kilkenny in the final. Will be interesting to see the Kilkenny response to the game in Salthill when the meet in the Leinster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Powerhouse wrote: »

I'd say this works both ways. Galway will be hoping for Kilkenny in the final. Will be interesting to see the Kilkenny response to the game in Salthill when the meet in the Leinster Final.

To be honest I don't think we could be much worse than the last day scoring only 1-2 from play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

The Munster boys don't bother with defending at all.

I think we would beat any of them, even whilst "rebuilding"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement