Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

Neilw wrote: »
    It’s already a 60kph limit there, plus that road is part of the 903 new speed camera locations.
    Whether there is ever any enforcement is another story.
    That's good to know as that place is an accident waiting to happen. If it's a location for the gosafe vans then I think there will be enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

It's an awful shame that the DAA / local authorities didnt accommodate spotter infrastructure into the major upgrade of the Dublin Airport site. Numerous airports have turned purpose built strategically located areas into business opportunities and safe areas for the aviation community or those with an interest to meet, engage and marvel at the operations and aircraft (e.g. exactly what they did at ZRH for example). Instead, they cordon off the site from visitors and put the main road airside of spotter mounds. No observation deck at the terminal either. What an absolute shame on them

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

no.8 wrote: »
    It's an awful shame that the DAA / local authorities didnt accommodate spotter infrastructure into the major upgrade of the Dublin Airport site. Numerous airports have turned purpose built strategically located areas into business opportunities and safe areas for the aviation community or those with an interest to meet, engage and marvel at the operations and aircraft (e.g. exactly what they did at ZRH for example). Instead, they cordon off the site from visitors and put the main road airside of spotter mounds. No observation deck at the terminal either. What an absolute shame on them

Do they own the land where the mound and other spotting areas are or do they belong to FCC? Agreed about a viewing deck in the terminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

HTCOne wrote: »
    Do they own the land where the mound and other spotting areas are or do they belong to FCC? Agreed about a viewing deck in the terminals.

I believe its the council that own it. Fingal Co. Co. are the ones that empty the bins. You'd think that by now they would have installed another few bins rather than letting the existing one overflow every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Tenger wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the "viewing area" is literally just a layby. It has become a viewing area due to the growth in spotter numbers.
    It's not an official location.

I disagree, i remember spotting there in the early 90's when there was a well worn track up a hump where you could park a car or 3 and have a fantastic view like the one on the end of 10/28 at gate 14 that sees very little usage now.
    Im old enough to remember the rooftop viewing area and the area up stairs in T1 that use to overlook the apron that over the years got smaller and smaller and then disappeared :( I don't think there's anywhere Landside you can see out to the apron now :(

I think i read someone got an old tour bus and converted it to a mobile spotting platform with a coffee/tea shop and moved it around some other Airport, something like that would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I drove the perimeter roads the other day while waiting to pick someone up, and I noticed that along the road that's parallel to the new runway, there are at least 2 large, properly paved parking areas that should provide a very decent view of the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Government was 'on the brink' of making decision on third terminal for Dublin Airport before election called https://jrnl.ie/5035664

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Thank god Shane Ross lost his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Government was 'on the brink' of making decision on third terminal for Dublin Airport before election called https://jrnl.ie/5035664

Would bring more traffic to airport if there is a competing terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Complete spoofer. Journal treating his self-serving spoof as fact... :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Im old enough to remember the rooftop viewing area and the area up stairs in T1 that use to overlook the apron that over the years got smaller and smaller and then disappeared :( I don't think there's anywhere Landside you can see out to the apron now :(

I remember this too. We had a significant number of relatives in the 80’s and early 90’s living in the US and UK so we’d be up every number of weeks dropping and collecting and no trip was complete without a swing by the observation deck as I’d call it. I’d go up there and take photos, I’d an old but very good camera and a few weeks ago I found my collection of photos taken up there and from the back road too, might if my scanner plays ball try and get a few uploaded later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

By the way, Bing has new satellite images of greater Dublin and you can see great progress on the North Runway

https://www.bing.com/maps?&cp=53.436029~-6.257497&lvl=15

W1XsWkxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/daa-gets-green-light-to-change-for-new-runway-at-dublin-airport-1.4212788

IALPA have lost an appeal against taxiway changes for the new runway which IAA had raised no objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fox233

Does anyone hear recall a check-in area downstairs beneath arrivals in T1? I remember checking in for an Aer Lingus flight there in 2008-09 or thereabouts. I've had a look online and it appears to be called check in area 14 and it seems to have been either only constructed, or modernised, within the last 15 years.

I was passing through arrivals in the airport a couple of weeks ago and walked past the now closed escalators which lead down to it. Why is this not currently used? Did they stop using it when T2 was constructed? Also - it seems an odd place to put check in, given that security is two floors above this on the main departures floor. Was there a short cut to security or did you have to take the two sets of escalators?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

fox233 wrote: »
    Does anyone hear recall a check-in area downstairs beneath arrivals in T1? I remember checking in for an Aer Lingus flight there in 2008-09 or thereabouts. I've had a look online and it appears to be called check in area 14 and it seems to have been either only constructed, or modernised, within the last 15 years.

I was passing through arrivals in the airport a couple of weeks ago and walked past the now closed escalators which lead down to it. Why is this not currently used? Did they stop using it when T2 was constructed? Also - it seems an odd place to put check in, given that security is two floors above this on the main departures floor. Was there a short cut to security or did you have to take the two sets of escalators?

No longer required T2 added the capacity plus rise of online check in, self service and hand baggage only travel has reduced check in desk demand. Area 14 was never planned for a check in area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

yannakis wrote: »
    By the way, Bing has new satellite images of greater Dublin and you can see great progress on the North Runway

https://www.bing.com/maps?&cp=53.436029~-6.257497&lvl=15

W1XsWkxl.jpg

What happens to the farmland between the runways away from the terminal side? Will it stay as farmland or do the DAA end up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/daa-gets-green-light-to-change-for-new-runway-at-dublin-airport-1.4212788

IALPA have lost an appeal against taxiway changes for the new runway which IAA had raised no objections.

Do we know what IALPA's specific concerns were, and why they thought the IAA's submission was flawed? ABP obviously thought there was no merit to their claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

salmocab wrote: »
    What happens to the farmland between the runways away from the terminal side? Will it stay as farmland or do the DAA end up with it?

I think that may be where ulick mcevaddy wants to develop a new terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Would now be a good time to close the cross wind runway and complete the new runway. Favorable time of year and way less traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

donvito99 wrote: »
    Do we know what IALPA's specific concerns were, and why they thought the IAA's submission was flawed? ABP obviously thought there was no merit to their claims.

Not exactly sure but I know the new amended planning permission reduces the amount of rapid exit taxiways from 2 to 1 in each direction which will probably increase runway occupancy time. The taxiways have also been narrowed to the minimum allowed under new guidelines. A few other aspects will have negligible effects in my opinion.

Not exactly sure why the union would object here and not the airline. Seems like a waste of resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

alentejo wrote: »
    Would now be a good time to close the cross wind runway and complete the new runway. Favorable time of year and way less traffic

Spring isn't a favourable time of year at all for winds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Spring isn't a favourable time of year at all for winds.

I'm pretty sure the poster is referring to the lack of (m)any flights for the next couple of months rather than the time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It's closed except to SAR as per NOTAM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

More likely a good time to mothball the whole project. Will be a long time before traffic recovers. Covid19 followed by a deep recession. DAA financial plans just went out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    More likely a good time to mothball the whole project. Will be a long time before traffic recovers. Covid19 followed by a deep recession. DAA financial plans just went out the window.

Pointless - costs are already sunk, and the new runway is useful even if it were to be the only one in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Remember when T2 was being called a giant white elephant during the last recession and the airport has been staring at capacity issues recently. Major infrastructure projects take a decade or more to plan and execute and their impact goes well beyond the year they open. This recession might be short or long, but within five to ten years at worst we will be back where we are now and cancelling the project will have looked quite silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Difference from last crash is Aer Lingus have established Dublin as a point to connect Europe and the US, it's much more of a hub airport than a decade ago.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Pointless - costs are already sunk, and the new runway is useful even if it were to be the only one in operation.

Most costs are not sunk

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Remember when T2 was being called a giant white elephant during the last recession and the airport has been staring at capacity issues recently. Major infrastructure projects take a decade or more to plan and execute and their impact goes well beyond the year they open. This recession might be short or long, but within five to ten years at worst we will be back where we are now and cancelling the project will have looked quite silly.

Doesn’t take a decade. The project could be ramped up and completed long ahead if the time it’s needed as it’s <2 years from completion.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Difference from last crash is Aer Lingus have established Dublin as a point to connect Europe and the US, it's much more of a hub airport than a decade ago.

Not sure what point you’re making. Traffic is being reset to zero. Many airlines will not survive. Aviation will come back but will look different in ways we
    Can’t yet anticipate

Advertisement