Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Allen had a chance there and blew it. Still a long way back from 2-5 so probably of little consequence anyway. Wasnt at the races at all tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Seems like a really nice lad does Gilbert. He's sent Mark Allens barmy army home with nowt to cheer for. A lot of sad looking blokes in Northern Ireland football jerseys. Fair play Gilbert��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭waynescales1

6-1, 96% pot success. Decent Masters debut.

Four matches so far, four favourites beaten. Surely judd will buck that trend tomorrow, though really hope murphy gives him a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

As good a display from Gilbert as I've seen in a while, seems to have been around a long time without doing a lot, still no11 in the world is a bit of a surprise to me

Gilbert, as well as being a pretty sound bloke, has a lovely playing style, good cueist, nice rhythm and doesn't get too bogged down in slow play. I think he will become a bit of a crowd favourite if he isn't already one.

Always been a bit sceptical of the steve feeney sightright thing but gilbert gave him a lot of credit in his interview earlier today. Similar story to bingham i suppose, ability always there but how to unlock the extra 5% to make them contenders just took them a bit longer than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Allen was pretty dire today. I really doubt he has the temperament to stay at the top of snooker for much longer, for all his talent.

Lets take nothing away from Gilbert though, he was potting everything and he could have won 6-0.

It's not been good for the favourites so far, surely Ronnie must be kicking himself he's not in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Trump and Murphy at 1-1. Both players hitting the ball well. You'd have to give the edge to Trump, but this could be a good battle.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    Allen was pretty dire today. I really doubt he has the temperament to stay at the top of snooker for much longer, for all his talent.

Allen was way off form last night, but I also think he really needs to lose some weight. He was heaving himself up on the table, trying to reach shots a slimmer man could have got with no problem. I think it's really limiting him as a player.

Poor second frame from trump i thought, trying that plant was him at his reckless worst. No need to be getting carried away like that.

Shaun Murphy consistently running out of position after making 20-30. Can’t beat Trump doing that.

All that investment and effort gone into the new arena setup and they’ve got a noisy floorboard which the players and referee are stepping on every 15 seconds.

Trump misses an easy black and Murphy clears up to lead 2-1.

After a brain fart miss by Murphy (misses so many stupid shots) Trump turns on the style and turns crowd pleaser with another ton. That stupid miss may be the match's turning point.

• Advertisement

Murphy's loss of focus is costing him here.

Trump plays a couple of desperately poor safeties and Murphy is in looking to make it 3-3.

Apart from the couple of big breaks, judd hasnt been good. So casual, like he's forgotten all the lessons of good matchplay he's learned over the previous few years.

Apart from the couple of big breaks, judd hasnt been good. So casual, like he's forgotten all the lessons of good matchplay he's learned over the previous few years.

Yeah Trump is there for the taking, but both players are making so many basic errors. Impossible to call this match.

Its an underdogs dream so far this week. Any chance of a higher seed stepping up to the plate? World num 1 Judd are you up to the task?

• Advertisement

Did Murphy intend to pot that red? Amazing shot if so.

That was good from murphy to be fair.

Great clearance there by Murphy to lead 5-3.

Trump needs to win 3-0 now to remain in the Masters. By golly if i had backed all 5 outsiders thus far i may even have been able to afford a few hours in Temple Bar tonight.

Did Murphy intend to pot that red? Amazing shot if so.

I think he did. Shot to nothing at the very least. Mightnt have expected to get it but red always heading towards pocket as davis pointed out.

What the hell shot was that from trump? Lucky to get away with it.

What the hell shot was that from trump? Lucky to get away with it.

Will Murphy hold it together? You'd have to say he will.

Will Murphy hold it together? You'd have to say he will.

On a plate now. Judd just off colour today, in fact been out of sorts a little while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

This tournament isn't as important to players as it once was. Its not even a top 3 tournament anymore.

Its the ranking tournaments that means the most.

This tournament isn't as important to players as it once was. Its not even a top 3 tournament anymore.

Its the ranking tournaments that means the most.

Perhaps, but is is still prestigious and always will be. Bit of a downer to have those top 5 players gone already but time for others to get their name etched on that silverware and snooker folklore.

• Advertisement

Murphy got stronger as the match went on, deserved winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'd say the bookies are cleaning up this week.

Good interview here and nice shout out for Fergal O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

The favorite (higher seed) has lost in every match so far.

Glenman wrote: »
    The favorite (higher seed) has lost in every match so far.

The higher-ranked players aren't a given in the remaining matches, either. John Higgins and Mark Williams have looked shaky of late. Jack Lisowski showed in the Scottish Open that he has the game to beat nearly anyone.

Remaining matches look very even. Not sure who's favourite in betting between Williams and Bingham. The latter has appeared in 9 masters and lost in first round in 8 of them so couldnt be backing him anyway. Just doesnt seem to like the place.

Williams has lost in the first round of the Masters three out of the last four years. The only reason he's still so highly ranked is because of his World Championship win in 2018. His recent form hasn't been at all impressive. So I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bingham beat him.

Bingham is ever so slightly bookies favourite so definitely won't be a shock if he wins. Personally i couldnt have his record here but sods law often dictates on these things! Not that williams exactly inspires either, but his 3 first round defeats here were at the hands of robertson and both ronnie and selby in deciders. Recent form more of a worry alright, hard to tell with him these days. Fancy both other underdogs, Hawkins and lisowski to come through their matches.

Hawkins is not at the races. Sounded very nervous talking to Rachel Casey pre match. Just doesn't look comfortable. This match is done.

• Advertisement

Last interview i saw with hawkins pre xmas he was complaining of exhaustion and I'd say he wasn't the only one. Thought the break might have freshened him and he has a habit of picking up form latter stages of season. Up against it here though.

Slim just left town. Stick a fork in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

John Higgins would have been a bit of a dark horse for this, in the betting last week, but not now!

Interesting tournament so far. I've not seen all but I've caught glimpses of most matches. Aside from tonight has there been a dull match?

Aside from his face-saving century in the penultimate frame, Hawkins was beyond woeful last night. It was hard to believe we were watching a top-16 player. There was some allusion to him having unspecified problems off the table, but it was painful to watch.

Higgins didn't look great either. He grew visibly tired and lost focus as the match went on.

David Gilbert could be a dark horse in this tournament, as could Jack Lisowski.

weemcd wrote: »
    Aside from tonight has there been a dull match?

I thought Higgins/Hawkins was a one-sided and dull match (Higgins's B-game versus Hawkins's D-game), but most of the others have been really good. The pick of the first round so far would have to be Maguire's comeback against Robertson from 1-5 down.

I'm looking forward to Wilson/Lisowski. Bingham/Williams has the potential to be a stinker, but it all depends on how they rise to the occasion.

I thought Higgins/Hawkins was a one-sided and dull match (Higgins's B-game versus Hawkins's D-game), but most of the others have been really good. The pick of the first round so far would have to be Maguire's comeback against Robertson from 1-5 down.

I'm looking forward to Wilson/Lisowski. Bingham/Williams has the potential to be a stinker, but it all depends on how they rise to the occasion.

Funny how we all see it differently. I dont like anything about Kyren Wilson and find him incredibly tedious. As a result i will gladly forfeit watching his match today.

On the other hand i am looking forward to watching this evenings game as i enjoy watching both players. Think Bingham will win but Williams is a wiley old fox so will be interesting.

• Advertisement

Funny how we all see it differently. I dont like anything about Kyren Wilson and find him incredibly tedious. As a result i will gladly forfeit watching his match today.

I'm more interested in watching Lisowski than Wilson, tbh. He impressed me in the Scottish Open and I'd love to see him do well here.

I wouldn't call it a vintage Masters. Ronnie in the Eurosport studio just doesn't sit well. The first 5 top seeds losing is another blow to the tournament as Ding, Selby, Robbo, Trump are huge names in the game and their absence will be felt.

Still, it's a prestigious tournament and no doubt there will be a few talking points and great matches before the week is done.

I wouldn't call it a vintage Masters. Ronnie in the Eurosport studio just doesn't sit well. The first 5 top seeds losing is another blow to the tournament as Ding, Selby, Robbo, Trump are huge names in the game and their absence will be felt.

Again, a difference of opinion :pac:

I like unpredictable tournaments. There's nothing more tedious than the same old faces in the semifinals every time. David Gilbert winning the Masters would be a great outcome, IMO — far more exciting than watching Ronnie win it for the 8th time.

Again, a difference of opinion :pac:

I like unpredictable tournaments. There's nothing more tedious than the same old faces in the semifinals every time. David Gilbert winning the Masters would be a great outcome, IMO — far more exciting than watching Ronnie win it for the 8th time.

Yea be great to see Dave Gilbert win. Wouldn't mind Higgins winning his third title but i agree with you that even though he hammered Hawkjins he didn't really look that good.

Potting machine this lad. Always good to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement