Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Slim just left town. Stick a fork in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

John Higgins would have been a bit of a dark horse for this, in the betting last week, but not now!

Interesting tournament so far. I've not seen all but I've caught glimpses of most matches. Aside from tonight has there been a dull match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Aside from his face-saving century in the penultimate frame, Hawkins was beyond woeful last night. It was hard to believe we were watching a top-16 player. There was some allusion to him having unspecified problems off the table, but it was painful to watch.

Higgins didn't look great either. He grew visibly tired and lost focus as the match went on.

David Gilbert could be a dark horse in this tournament, as could Jack Lisowski.

weemcd wrote: »
    Aside from tonight has there been a dull match?

I thought Higgins/Hawkins was a one-sided and dull match (Higgins's B-game versus Hawkins's D-game), but most of the others have been really good. The pick of the first round so far would have to be Maguire's comeback against Robertson from 1-5 down.

I'm looking forward to Wilson/Lisowski. Bingham/Williams has the potential to be a stinker, but it all depends on how they rise to the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I thought Higgins/Hawkins was a one-sided and dull match (Higgins's B-game versus Hawkins's D-game), but most of the others have been really good. The pick of the first round so far would have to be Maguire's comeback against Robertson from 1-5 down.

I'm looking forward to Wilson/Lisowski. Bingham/Williams has the potential to be a stinker, but it all depends on how they rise to the occasion.

Funny how we all see it differently. I dont like anything about Kyren Wilson and find him incredibly tedious. As a result i will gladly forfeit watching his match today.

On the other hand i am looking forward to watching this evenings game as i enjoy watching both players. Think Bingham will win but Williams is a wiley old fox so will be interesting.

• Advertisement

Funny how we all see it differently. I dont like anything about Kyren Wilson and find him incredibly tedious. As a result i will gladly forfeit watching his match today.

I'm more interested in watching Lisowski than Wilson, tbh. He impressed me in the Scottish Open and I'd love to see him do well here.

I wouldn't call it a vintage Masters. Ronnie in the Eurosport studio just doesn't sit well. The first 5 top seeds losing is another blow to the tournament as Ding, Selby, Robbo, Trump are huge names in the game and their absence will be felt.

Still, it's a prestigious tournament and no doubt there will be a few talking points and great matches before the week is done.

I wouldn't call it a vintage Masters. Ronnie in the Eurosport studio just doesn't sit well. The first 5 top seeds losing is another blow to the tournament as Ding, Selby, Robbo, Trump are huge names in the game and their absence will be felt.

Again, a difference of opinion :pac:

I like unpredictable tournaments. There's nothing more tedious than the same old faces in the semifinals every time. David Gilbert winning the Masters would be a great outcome, IMO — far more exciting than watching Ronnie win it for the 8th time.

Again, a difference of opinion :pac:

I like unpredictable tournaments. There's nothing more tedious than the same old faces in the semifinals every time. David Gilbert winning the Masters would be a great outcome, IMO — far more exciting than watching Ronnie win it for the 8th time.

Yea be great to see Dave Gilbert win. Wouldn't mind Higgins winning his third title but i agree with you that even though he hammered Hawkjins he didn't really look that good.

Potting machine this lad. Always good to watch.

• Advertisement

And just like that, it's 2-0 to Lisowski. Wilson has potted only one ball so far.

And just like that, it's 2-0 to Lisowski. Wilson has potted only one ball so far.

Happy days!

Horror frame by both players this.

Wilson has played like a drain and is 2-2. Strange match really.

Scrappy game this. Both on their B game. Lisowski just called a foul on himself. Fair play to him.

Think virgo is spot on about lisowski - doesnt actually have a b game. Great beating up the lower ranked guys who dont punish his mistakes, but gets found out against the top guys at the big venues. Been struggling with flu past few days to be fair to him, but its a long standing pattern with him anyway so not really an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,489 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Easy for Wilson in the end. Sloppy enough all round. No breaks over 75 either.

Disappointed Lisowski didn't play better today. I had higher hopes for him. But it's Wilson who goes through 6-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Virgo in commentary, Davis in the studio, Boards posters and Lisowski himself all commenting on Jack having no B game. It’s unanimous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Williams isn’t at the races tonight

• Advertisement

Can't see Williams clawing back this one, provided Bingham sees out this frame...

Well, managed to call both matches pretty horribly wrong today! That was poor from mjw, hard to know whats left in the tank there.

Well, managed to call both matches pretty horribly wrong today! That was poor from mjw, hard to know whats left in the tank there.

Going by his Twitter I don't think William's lifestyle is conductive to be at the top of the sport. Only a few days ago he said he woke the kids up late at night and went for McDonald's and kebabs. He's known to enjoy the sauce too. I doubt his heart's in it after his World Championship win, he seemed to go off the rails after that. He'll make a sensational pot like that red to the yellow corner then miss a straightforward black. Hopefully he's enough money made to be comfortable, but I can't see him winning anything of note unless he resets his entire lifestyle.

weemcd wrote: »
    Going by his Twitter I don't think William's lifestyle is conductive to be at the top of the sport. Only a few days ago he said he woke the kids up late at night and went for McDonald's and kebabs. He's known to enjoy the sauce too. I doubt his heart's in it after his World Championship win, he seemed to go off the rails after that. He'll make a sensational pot like that red to the yellow corner then miss a straightforward black. Hopefully he's enough money made to be comfortable, but I can't see him winning anything of note unless he resets his entire lifestyle.

Yeah, probably right. He was all but washed up 6-7 years ago so think it was just a bonus for him that he managed to get back and win another world title. Snookers a grind nowadays, all those trips abroad, cant imagine the likes of williams or Higgins getting much of a kick out of it.

Still, do recall the kebab at 2am story on the morning of the world final against higgins so you never know. Might be one rattle left in him somewhere but not getting any easier.

First two quarter-finals today...

1 pm

Shaun Murphy vs Joe Perry

7 pm

Ali Carter vs John Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

never knew shawn murphy is based out of Dublin, practices in the st stephens green snooker club according to ken.

this will be a good match I think

never knew shawn murphy is based out of Dublin, practices in the st stephens green snooker club according to ken.

Murphy moved over from England a couple of years ago, after his wife Elaine got a job as associate professor of Chemical Biology at UCD.

Seems joe needs minimum 3 chances to win a frame here and murph doing his best to oblige!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I saw him on the Luas with his wife and kid a couple of weeks ago. I thought he was practising with Fergal O'Brien out in Maynooth. I didn't even know there was somewhere in Stephens Green for him to practise!

• Advertisement

I saw him on the Luas with his wife and kid a couple of weeks ago. I thought he was practising with Fergal O'Brien out in Maynooth. I didn't even know there was somewhere in Stephens Green for him to practise!

He does spend quite a bit of time practising with fergal and with mark allen as well. I imagine he must have his own table in stephens green, similar to arrangement ken used to have with radisson hotel in stillorgan.

Advertisement