Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Higgins has come to life all of a sudden

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

From missing left right and centre to highest break of the tournament... 140 for JH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yep, life in this match yet. Wouldnt be shocked to see higgins go on a march from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What's going on with all these flys and wasps? It's January!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

BobCobb wrote: »
    From missing left right and centre to highest break of the tournament... 140 for JH

Complete capitulation, like an on and off switch

• Advertisement

Higgins really should have won the frame at that visit. If he had, I’d say it would have really rattled Carter

Higgins really should have won the frame at that visit. If he had, I’d say it would have really rattled Carter

Can see carter folding now. Spring and purpose in JHs step and body language

Very good response from Carter so far in this frame

Very good response from Carter so far in this frame

Jinxed him!

It looks like it could get messy again! Or not..two good long pots from Ali

• Advertisement

Bizarre match really. This is almost a rerun of the fifth frame.

Bizarre from Carter there. I didn’t think Carter hit it in real time, and the replay confirmed that

AC - I did hit it ... JH - Hit this!

Higgins not impressed with the mess up with the score

Carter looks to have lost the head a bit

AC should finish the match here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

With the exception of one frame Higgins has been particularly dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Very odd situation in last night's match. Carter appeared to miss the yellow and referee Desislava Bozhilova called foul. Carter said no, I hit it, and she just took his word for it. But the slow-motion replay seemed to confirm her initial call of foul. Surely she should have reviewed the video, just as Leo Scullion did recently during Mark Allen's first-round match against Andy Hicks at the Scottish Open? Or just stuck to her guns if she was sure it was a foul.

The other two quarterfinals are today...

1 pm

Stephen Maguire vs David Gilbert

7 pm

Kyren Wilson vs Stuart Bingham

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Very odd situation in last night's match. Carter appeared to miss the yellow and referee Desislava Bozhilova called foul. Carter said no, I hit it, and she just took his word for it. But the slow-motion replay seemed to confirm her initial call of foul. Surely she should have reviewed the video, just as Leo Scullion did recently during Mark Allen's first-round match against Andy Hicks at the Scottish Open? Or just stuck to her guns if she was sure it was a foul.

Hopeless refereeing there, it was obvious he didn't hit it. Blatant cheating by Carter, he really is a horrible character.

• Advertisement

Very pertinent point. I wondered at the time of the Allen thing whether scullion was going on some new directive or simply working off his own initiative. If the former then it would seem last nights ref didnt receive the memo. That kind of inconsistency is what tends to frustrate people most. If the replay option is there, no excuse not to use it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I had to call it quits as it was getting late, but the score for the foul was initially awarded to John Higgins, and then a few minutes later it was removed. Did they award him the points again or what happened?

Inconsistency is the right word for it when it comes to the refs..

Very pertinent point. I wondered at the time of the Allen thing whether scullion was going on some new directive or simply working off his own initiative. If the former then it would seem last nights ref didnt receive the memo. That kind of inconsistency is what tends to frustrate people most. If the replay option is there, no excuse not to use it imo.

I believe she should have stuck with her initial decision that he missed the ball. Alternatively, she and the marker could have reviewed the video footage, per the Scullion precedent, and confirmed for Carter that he did indeed miss it.

But in this case, she simply let the player overrule her. That misunderstands the relationship in snooker between player and referee — the referee's decision is final regardless of what the player thinks.

I'm not accusing Carter of cheating — in reality, he was 12 feet away from the yellow and possibly believed that he did hit it. But Bozhilova should have required some kind of evidence to reverse her decision other than just Carter's perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The ref should have been stronger, but it really is so rare for players not to call themselves, and own up to something, I imagine the ref just took the player at his word, which they often do. Inexcusable from Carter, cheating pure and simple, if he's not entirely sure if he hit it he keeps his mouth shut. It'll be interesting to see what reception he gets next game. Muted at best would be my guess.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

_feedback_ wrote: »
    I had to call it quits as it was getting late, but the score for the foul was initially awarded to John Higgins, and then a few minutes later it was removed. Did they award him the points again or what happened?

Higgins was on 18 points at the time. Bozhilova called foul, the marker increased Higgins's score to 22, and then she reversed her decision on the basis of Carter's say-so. A few minutes later, Higgins's score went back down to 18 again. So the official verdict is that no foul happened and no foul points were awarded.

Video of the incident here. Carter plays the shot around 1:15 in.

I believe she should have stuck with her initial decision that he missed the ball. Alternatively, she and the marker could have reviewed the video footage, per the Scullion precedent, and confirmed for Carter that he did indeed miss it.

But in this case, she simply let the player overrule her. That misunderstands the relationship in snooker between player and referee — the referee's decision is final regardless of what the player thinks.

I'm not accusing Carter of cheating — in reality, he was 12 feet away from the yellow and possibly believed that he did hit it. But Bozhilova should have required some kind of evidence to reverse her decision other than just Carter's perception.

Of course, she did capitulate far too easily and luckily for her, Higgins didnt make more of it. Video would have sorted it in 30 seconds, its really that simple.

Carter probably was convinced he saw yellow move, impossible to know. But i think its all too easy to go down route of calling him a cheat because he's not a very pleasant chap. Remember ronnie not calling a clear foul on himself at a critical point of a match a couple of years back and being given benefit of doubt because, well, he's ronnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Was half watching this as it was such a boring match and the Steve Davis commentary style was in lullabye mode at this point
    A little after the point where the video above stopped JV posed the question if a replay was available while the camera was on the markers face and the marker shook his head in response. The marker is listening in to the commentary from the guys in the box behind him and does get to see the tv coverage which shows the replay there and then but unlike the Scullion incident the marker decided not to act here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Of course, she did capitulate far too easily and luckily for her, Higgins didnt make more of it. Video would have sorted it in 30 seconds, its really that simple.

Carter probably was convinced he saw yellow move, impossible to know. But i think its all too easy to go down route of calling him a cheat because he's not a very pleasant chap. Remember ronnie not calling a clear foul on himself at a critical point of a match a couple of years back and being given benefit of doubt because, well, he's ronnie.

I didn't give Ronnie the benefit of the doubt on that one. I saw it live on t v and noticed it straight away. There is no chance that Ronnie didn't feel,see or hear that rest moving the red. I'm a Ronnie fan but i'm not blinded by loyalty and it was the most blatant cheating i've seen in a long time on a snooker table. Of course Ronnie acted all surprised when asked about it post match but pundits were afraid imo to call it as it was and very few Ronnie fans would say anything negative about him. He cheated 100% imo.

• Advertisement

Was half watching this as it was such a boring match and the Steve Davis commentary style was in lullabye mode at this point
    A little after the point where the video above stopped JV posed the question if a replay was available while the camera was on the markers face and the marker shook his head in response. The marker is listening in to the commentary from the guys in the box behind him and does get to see the tv coverage which shows the replay there and then but unlike the Scullion incident the marker decided not to act here.

Well, that's inexcusable. If he knew the replay showed no contact between the cue ball and the yellow, he should at least have brought it to the ref's attention.

Advertisement