Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭VirginiaB

Definitely Gallagher, I'd say. I've gone cross-eyed looking at Philadelphia city directories today for these four people--bride, groom, witnesses--and no useful results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

any luck in the newspapers? ...some old wedding announcements mentioned guests in the post

I'll look but Katie Powell was very unlikely to be in the newspapers as a wedding guest. But I will search the addresses on the marriage license which can turn up some interesting bits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know did they stay in Plhiladelphia long? Might censuses before and after help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There's two records of an Ellen Moloney seemingly born to Jer (Jeremiah) Moloney & Ellen Flynn.

Previously I found this one via FindMyPast:

First name(s) Ellen
    Last name Molony
    Baptism date 14 Apr 1846
    Parish Murroe, Boher and Abington
    Father's first name(s) Jemmicas
    Father's last name Molony
    Mother's first name(s) Ellen
    Mother's last name Flynn

IMBGclE.png

Today while looking for another relative, I found a record from March 1849 for what looks like an Ellen Moloney from same parents:

gjfRlC2.jpg

Can anyone accurately make out what each says - what do you think? Perhaps the 1st Ellen died? Or are the fathers different?

Would appreciate if anyone can make out the godparents too - seem to be none for 1846, for 1849 its ??? Molony & Johanne (sp?) Flynn?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like Ellen Rice for a sponsor on the top one and Daniel Molony and Johanna Flynn on the second one.
    The father on the second one looks like James to me.

spurious wrote: »
    Do you know did they stay in Plhiladelphia long? Might censuses before and after help?

They virtually disappeared. Have searched censuses in the US and UK, Philadelphia city directories etc. Katie turns up again, says she is married but no definite sign ever of Walter George Phillips. I wonder if he did a runner.

Katie, now Kathryn, is on several NY passenger ship records working as a companion or nurse to various wealthy people. She gives her US reference as Thomas A Powell, my great-grandfather, who lived in Brooklyn with wife and children.

She was headed for Philly and I think I have her there in the 1930 US census but no death record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

oceanclub wrote: »
    There's two records of an Ellen Moloney seemingly born to Jer (Jeremiah) Moloney & Ellen Flynn.

Previously I found this one via FindMyPast:

First name(s) Ellen
    Last name Molony
    Baptism date 14 Apr 1846
    Parish Murroe, Boher and Abington
    Father's first name(s) Jemmicas
    Father's last name Molony
    Mother's first name(s) Ellen
    Mother's last name Flynn

IMBGclE.png

Today while looking for another relative, I found a record from March 1849 for what looks like an Ellen Moloney from same parents:

gjfRlC2.jpg

Can anyone accurately make out what each says - what do you think? Perhaps the 1st Ellen died? Or are the fathers different?

Would appreciate if anyone can make out the godparents too - seem to be none for 1846, for 1849 its ??? Molony & Johanne (sp?) Flynn?

P.

It was standard practice for the next child of the same gender, to receive the name of his/her deceased sibling.

tabbey wrote: »
    It was standard practice for the next child of the same gender, to receive the name of his/her deceased sibling.

Yup, I suspected that - do you think that _both_ fathers are Jeremiah in this instance? One person thought one might be James. But I reckon the above scenario is more likely than a James and Jeremiah Moloney _both_ marrying
    an Ellen Flynn in a small town.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

oceanclub wrote: »
    Yup, I suspected that - do you think that _both_ fathers are Jeremiah in this instance? One person thought one might be James. But I reckon the above scenario is more likely than a James and Jeremiah Moloney _both_ marrying
    an Ellen Flynn in a small town.P.

Probably the same man, but it is impossible to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Looking for help with a memorial from the Registry of Deeds.

The text up to the parts I can't decipher reads as follows...
    To the Registrar appointed by Act of Parliament for registering deeds and so forth, a memorial of an indentured deed of reconveyance of a mortgage bearing date the 20th day of October 1803 and made between Thomas Mall of Urquhan, Esquire, grandson and heir at law of Thomas Mall, deceased, and Urquhart Thomson of the City of Dublin, merchant, ______________ of said Thomas Mall of the first part, Catherine Mall, ______________, now of Elizabeth Archer, late of Prospect, deceased, of the second part...

I haven't come across the phrase before and it appears to be the same in both cases but I can't make it out.

427715.png

427716.png

The full image is available here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's ' admin. de bonis non' - It relates to property transfer based on a will. It is version of 'de bonis non administratis', Latin for "of goods not administered". It refers to assets remaining in an estate after the death or removal of the estate administrator. The second administrator is called the 'administrator de bonis non' and distributes the remaining assets.
    I'll bow to the interpretation of Perigrenus, who will no doubt have a view.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'll bow to the interpretation of Perigrenus, who will no doubt have a view.:)

Again and again I have to bow to the collective knowledge on this forum!:)

Thanks Pedro!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Grateful for help with one part of this one:

Yb9HLvw.jpg

I can make out everything for Margaret Moloney on the 13th April, bar one of the godparents. Any idea what that text before "Anne Flynn" is?

"13th Magt for Jeremias Moloney - Ellen Flynn ? ???? Anne Flynn"

Possible surname is Ryan?

P.

I think it says Paul and Anne Flynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'd go for:

13th Margaret dau (daughter of) Jeremiah (?) Moloney and Ellen Flynn.
    sponsors may be Paul (Pawl?) and Anne Flynn.

Honestly not even sure about Jeremiah as the J looks like a G. Best I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi,

Anybody able to do a translation on the following, bottom of page, left hand side Martinus Murphy, parents Richard & Catherine Murphy.

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm04196-11%2f0057&parentid=ire%2fprs%2fbap%2f3980967

(1) Can anybody read the olim name for me?
    (2) The godparents names for me?
    (3) what is the 'conjugum a me' field and name written there. Is that the priest name?

Many Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thread merged: please post these queries in the specific thread.

1. Walsh (mother's birth surname)
    2. Patrick and Helen Rourke
    3. Means that the parents are a married couple. The priest's name is after that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Thanks for that. Apologies for wrong thread

No problem at all. All mods wish their job was just merging threads!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Looking for help with reading this. It was on a sheet in my granddad's house. It says: The last of the Hy Many ... died in 1898 so the CDB bought the land.
    I can't figure out what the word is after Many. It looks like there's a dot after the word so maybe it's some sort of abbreviation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I think it's a colloquial word for, ahem.... protestants.

Agree!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ah ... I see thank ye both for that. Hope no one's offended. All that I could make out was pirds. I'd say that's probably right given the context since there are still Hy Many people alive today. Hmm I wonder where that land was. Anyway thanks for clearing that up.

In my youth I was known as the local Proddy-woddy amongst the local kids! :D Wikipedia says "Uí Maine, often Anglicised as Hy Many, was one of the oldest and largest kingdoms located in Connacht, Ireland." the historians here are better able to explain more I'm sure but I'm also curious to know what C.D.B. means? County board or council maybe?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    In my youth I was known as the local Proddy-woddy amongst the local kids! :D Wikipedia says "Uí Maine, often Anglicised as Hy Many, was one of the oldest and largest kingdoms located in Connacht, Ireland." the historians here are better able to explain more I'm sure but I'm also curious to know what C.D.B. means? County board or council maybe?

I believe CDB stands for the Congested Districts Board.

According to Wikipedia: The C.D.B. was authorised to purchase extra land from large estates to enlarge the small holdings of tenants. In 1909, it was granted compulsory powers of purchase and began redistributing over 1,000 estates totalling 2,000,000 acres (8,100 km2).

Well at least I know that my granddad didn't write it since it wasn't his writing (as well as the fact that they refer to themselves as once being a 'wee lass'. My mum's reaction to hearing the word was, 'How nice ...'

I gather this was a private baptism, but does the Latin give any further information?
    noteinregister.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

spurious wrote: »
    I gather this was a private baptism, but does the Latin give any further information?

Yes, it was a private baptism (i.e. not in a church). It's also a 'conditional baptism'.

Yes, it was a private baptism (i.e. not in a church). It's also a 'conditional baptism'.

I'm reading 'Sub-conditional'. Is that different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Sub conditione is a Latin term meaning “under the condition.” You may encounter the term in Roman-Catholic baptismal records in cases when the midwife performed an emergency baptism. If the child lived, the child would be baptized again by the priest, under the condition that he was able to receive the baptism [from https://www.dutchgenealogy.nl/sub-conditione/]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I'd like some help with The first marriage return on this page:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10798/5938083.pdf

I'd love to get confirmation of her maiden name, and her address

Michael Anderson and Martha Sweetnam(?)

His address is "Roury, Parish of Ross"
    Her address I can't make out - beyond "Parish of"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

yaledo wrote: »
    ...I'd love to get confirmation of her maiden name, and her address

Michael Anderson and Martha Sweetnam(?)

His address is "Roury, Parish of Ross"

Bride and her father's surnames look like "Sweetnam", and BMD Index shows the same. For her residence possibly Murrahin North which is in the civil parish of Kilcoe.

ETA : two Sweetnam households in the townland of Murrahin North in 1901

There are Sweetnams in 'Murrahin North, Kilcoe' on this 1901 census page -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Kilcoe/Murrahin_North/1159350/

The spelling on the entry looks like 'Morahin' which might be a variation.

Lol, beaten :)

..His address is "Roury, Parish of Ross"

possibility for 'Roury' - Rouryglen (Logainm.ie/placename db) in Ross civil parish

in case it's of interest - the minister was Horace Thomas Townsend and he was the incumbent in the late 1880s early 1890s, the Church of Ireland Parish church was at Corravoley townland. There's no church at the location today, but the graveyard survives - OSI Map (c1840s), Google street view

• Advertisement

Can anyone make out what's written in the final column of this first couple (Rosanna Lalor and Jeremiah Dunne) here please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

In case you're wondering why Rowryglen might sound familiar - I've had help on this forum [including from shanew in particular] on this same family some years ago.

Martha Anderson continued to own & operate the mill at Rowryglen, after her husband died in 1909. She is listed in various directories as "Mrs. Anderson".

The details of her marriage are new to me - always a bit exciting to find a new direct antecedent - especially with such a distinctive (easily googleable) name as Sweetnam.

Certainly it is interesting to know about the graveyard at Corravoley - quite close to the Sweetnam home at Murrahin North. Is this the only COI church in Kilcoe parish (just wondering how you identified it)? Thanks for the extra detail.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Can anyone make out what's written in the final column of this first couple (Rosanna Lalor and Jeremiah Dunne) here please?

Looks like 'both were married before' to me, but it's crossed out, so maybe it was a mistake. I see the same thing is beside another couple later.

That's what I thought, exactly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

....Certainly it is interesting to know about the graveyard at Corravoley - quite close to the Sweetnam home at Murrahin North. Is this the only COI church in Kilcoe parish (just wondering how you identified it)? Thanks for the extra detail.

I used a combination of Lewis 1837 Topographical Dictionary and the 1st Edition OSI maps to locate the various Church of Ireland Churches in the late 1830s/early 40s, it's a work in progress but Kilcoe parish which was in Ross Diocese is an area I've completed. The entry for the parish in Lewis mentions one CofI church, although he describes it as being near the centre of the parish, and no chapels of ease - the only one I located on the 1840s maps was the one at Corravoley, it's also shown on the later c1890s OSI map.

• Advertisement

Can anyone make out the address of the deceased on the last entry on this page?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1929/04944/4343892.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

39 Cuffe Street?

39 Cuffe Street?

+1 for "late of 39 Cuffe Street"

the address is listed as Thos. Norton, lodging house in Thom's 1927 and 1930

Thanks. I think he's a contender for my gg grandfather's brother - age matches with baptism date and the right area. The death was in the workhouse though so no helpful relative name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

This is a child who sadly died at the Clonskeagh fever hospital. Family lore is that he died of pneumonia.
    I recognize "cardio-respiratory" as the first word, I'm lost with the rest.

Acute is the first word in each of the next 2 lines.

laryngeal bronchial?

Genealogy Forum Mod

This is a child who sadly died at the Clonskeagh fever hospital. Family lore is that he died of pneumonia.
    I recognize "cardio-respiratory" as the first word, I'm lost with the rest.

To me it looks like cardio-respiratory arrest, acute laryngo bronchial (spasm?), acute cardiac failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

srmf5 wrote: »
    To me it looks like cardio-respiratory arrest, acute laryngo bronchial (spasm?), acute cardiac failure.

Yes, I see that from what you said, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Can anyone help decipher the Residence of the parents in this record?

The record is the last row on the image:
    Thomas Keogh and Bridget Lowry

I think the Parents are John & Bridget and Patrick & Mary.

I have included the full image as I think the residence for John & Bridget is the same as some other records but I can't figure those out either. It looks like Sead or Gead ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement