Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I've seen 3 witnesses many times on marriage records, also A.N. other, A.N. other + others:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

KildareFan wrote: »
    In presence of....

You'd have to check other marriages to see if the last name John McGrath recurs in which case he is probably the celebrant.

Yup, you're right, he was the priest.

Hi,
    Another deciphering query - on William Davoren's (Davern) death record (4th record from bottom of page), where is he from and what was his occupation?
    If the name of his home place begins with P, could be Palmerston. Occupation? Nailor???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like Palmerston to me and 'Nailor + discharged soldier(?)'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

All I can see is the words you've suggested!

It might be a B not a P though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’d agree on Palmerston. It does look like ‘Nailor’ and under that ‘discharged xxxxxx (builder?) Cause of death was Cardiac disease, 3 months certified.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure that this is the William Davern that I'm looking for. Will keep searching.

Palmerston is an area in Limerick city. FWIW, Davern is a name I'd immediately associate with Cashel, Co. Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Palmerston is an area in Limerick city. FWIW, Davern is a name I'd immediately associate with Cashel, Co. Tipp.

Yes, we usually associate Davern with Cashel, because Noel Davern TD was from there, I think his family were the proprietors of the Davern Bar & restaurant in Cashel, popular with people driving from Dublin to Cork as it was midway between the two cities.

The name seemed most common in mid Tipperary and East Limerick, but was also found in Clare and Galway.

spurious wrote: »
    Looks like Palmerston to me and 'Nailor + discharged soldier(?)'

Definitely Palmerston (place) & Nailor. Discharged soldier could perhaps be discharged sailor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Any suggestion on the cause of death here?

Haemorrhage result of ......... self inflicted whilst insane.

http://i.imgur.com/q1T9Q3R.jpg

Thanks Tabby & Pedro.
    I was looking for parents of James Davern b. 1857 in Kilteely, parents William & Ellen Breen. On parish register, William was recorded as a butcher. I have since found 2 more baptisms/births in Ballylanders to the same named parents. Micheal born 1870, father William a nailor!! So maybe it is him, after all. Tkx again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Leeside wrote: »
    Any suggestion on the cause of death here?

Haemorrhage result of ......... self inflicted whilst insane.

http://i.imgur.com/q1T9Q3R.jpg
    nail in throat, lovely

nail in throat, lovely

Thanks for suggestion. All the letter 'i"s are dotted in the rest of the writing and if you're correct the word 'nail' doesn't have one.

I thought originally it read 'a cut in throat' and that seems unlikely. I don't see the word 'nail' as being correct either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

My take -
    Leeside wrote: »
    Haemorrhage result of "a cut in throat"......... self inflicted whilst insane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just beat me to it - you're spot on.

I'll take it so as reading 'a cut in throat'. Cheers!

Can someone make out what Kate's profession was on this marriage record -(last record on the page)?

montgo wrote: »
    Can someone make out what Kate's profession was on this marriage record -(last record on the page)?

Fr daughter = farmer's daughter.

Cheers, too tired to see it last night! Tkx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Bravo. I was totally flummoxed on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Boscod

Looking for help to identify the location of the church in this marriage. Many thanks.
    John_Doyle_1893.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Boscod wrote: »
    Looking for help to identify the location of the church in this marriage. Many thanks.
    John_Doyle_1893.PNG

"St James Church Rawtenstall", which is in Lancashire (Catholic Directory UK & IRL) north of Manchester & Salford and not far from Blackburn and Preston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

from FreeBMD

Year/Quarter : 1922 / June
    Volume : 8e / Page 304
    Reg. District : Haslington (Lancs.), which includes Rawtenstall civil parish
    names include a John Doyle and Norah Jackson

Would appreciate help on these two:

http://i.imgur.com/0okpDtR.png

http://i.imgur.com/TZYwRme.png

Two records for a John Wixted & Biddy Bradshaw, 4 years apart. I'm guessing that one is possibly my great-great-grandparents, John Wixted & Catherine Bradshaw. Can anyone make out the other text in each?

"Married by ???? John Wixted to Biddy Bradshaw. ??? John Bradshaw Johanna O'Brien ??? Jimmy Keefe"

"Ditto (refers to date) married by Ditto John Wixted to Biddy Bradshaw, in presense of John Wixted, Michael ???? & Tom Ryan"

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Would appreciate help on these two:

http://i.imgur.com/0okpDtR.png

http://i.imgur.com/TZYwRme.png

Two records for a John Wixted & Biddy Bradshaw, 4 years apart. I'm guessing that one is possibly my great-great-grandparents, John Wixted & Catherine Bradshaw. Can anyone make out the other text in each?

"Married by ???? John Wixted to Biddy Bradshaw. ??? John Bradshaw Johanna O'Brien ??? Jimmy Keefe"

"Ditto (refers to date) married by Ditto John Wixted to Biddy Bradshaw, in presense of John Wixted, Michael ???? & Tom Ryan"

P.

writing seems quite clear.

If Biddy died and John then married her sister or cousin Catherine, the priest might have accidentally written the name of the deceased first wife.

Technically it was illegal for a widower to marry the sister of the first wife, but most people would consider this unfair, so may have ignored the statute.

tabbey wrote: »
    writing seems quite clear.

If Biddy died and John then married her sister or cousin Catherine, the priest might have accidentally written the name of the deceased first wife.

Technically it was illegal for a widower to marry the sister of the first wife, but most people would consider this unfair, so may have ignored the statute.

Interesting theory! Might see if there are any death records from then (from chattting with a distant cousin discovered from that side of family I don't think so).

P.

Baptism record for 21 April 1812, bottom half, left side of page.

I just wanted to confirm that Phil & Pat must have been twins. And the Sponsors were Edm'd Rafferty and Cath(erine) C..... Croagh or ?? (Gurtakilleen). I'm guessing that the next line were Pat's sponsors - maybe Carolo (Charles?) Caroll, some letters & Elena Cormack.

thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd concur with all of that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Phil & Pat ex Thoma Realy & Margarita
    Treacy Spr Edm Rafferty &
    Catha Cloagh (Gurtakilleen)
    Carolo Carrol Ellena Cormac

ps the letters are the top of the date from the next line?

Advertisement