Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Is this fourteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth or eighteenth? :)

nov%20eght_zpskhhaqyyg.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is this fourteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth or eighteenth?

Sixteenth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Anyone else see the 4th age as 31, I thought it was 21. But seems unlikely that 2 children were both 21 - I wonder could it be 24?

Now that you and josip have pointed out the rest, yes, I agree, looks like a 2, so twenty something alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

hi, can anyone make out the rank of female and residence at time of Marriage for Anne Culligan. it's second record on page.
    thanks.
    C
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10726/5910764.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

looks like lots of Ditto - for age, rank & residence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

I just came across the historical records on Irish genealogy today through boards.ie. its great. When I think of all the money I spent buying certs, subs, and travelling to Dublin to GRO office when it was in the Irish Life Centre. Now it online. Amazing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What does it say under the informant section of the last death on this page, for George Walters, please?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05814/4646002.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What does it say under the informant section of the last death on this page, for George Walters, please?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05814/4646002.pdf

Charles J Walters who caused the body to be buried 24 Hollows street.

Thanks! That's more or less I what I thought - Holles St, most likely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Mez1982 wrote: »
    Charles J Walters who caused the body to be buried 24 Hollows street.

24 Holles Street,

It is interesting to see he died in St Mark's Church.
    Was he homeless?, or religious? Was it Sunday?
    Hopefully as a retired college porter, TCD would have looked after his accommodation needs.

• Advertisement

Sorry, could have swore I seen an 'ows''. I've seen this before.My G,Grandfathers death cert had that same bit of information about his brother in law causing the body to be buried.
    When I first glanced at it, I thought it said that his brother in law had CAUSED his death! Such a strange thing to jot down though. Any particular reason that this would have been recorded?

Do you see brother in law?

I'm presuming, based on my research that the Charles is his son or grandson. He had one of each named Charles.

I've done quite a bit of research on this family to see if they relate to my own Walters family - some corresponding names and religion, but nothing definite.

Has anyone done research on Trinity employees?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Do you see brother in law?
    Mez 1982 is talking about his own g-grandfather, not your case.

Yes I was talking about my own G,Grandfathers cert. Apologies If I caused any confusion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'm presuming, based on my research that the Charles is his son or grandson. He had one of each named Charles.

I've done quite a bit of research on this family to see if they relate to my own Walters family - some corresponding names and religion, but nothing definite.

Has anyone done research on Trinity employees?

You have a clue in the middle initial (of Charles the informant) which is 'G'.
    There is a row of houses on Marks Lane and coincidentally there is another death in Marks Lane further up the page (#378).

It would be ideally located for a person working in TCD, just across the road (Great Brunswick St now Pearse St.) I wonder did TCD own property there? As a widower someone had to take charge of the burial, so the body was released to the informant hence the 'caused the body.. etc.'

I've never researched a TCD employee but the college was extremely helpful with information when I was trying to 'pin down' a 1914-era student (one term only!)

Yes, but this family uses the same names, so while I think it's more likely the grandson, who does have George as a middle name, but there's a son too and his middle name is unknown.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'd agree on it being the grandson - we have a tradition in my family of the eldest son of the eldest son having the same name. For several generations there also are cousins with the same name. But all of us have different middle names, so I'd guess that the 'George' name would not be repeated as a middle name with father & son.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

http://imgur.com/c23xP4n

Can anyone make out mother's maiden name - "Logy"??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Looks like Logy to me.
    Searching the church records I see it is also spelt Logie.

Genealogy Forum Mod

John and Esther were married in Kingstown 5 Aug 1877.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

I'm trying to work out the name of this townland on my great grandfathers eldest brother, the townland is in the Milltown district of Mullingar:
    http://imgur.com/a/vu0hE
    It looks like it begins with a C or a G, and ends in a T and after looking at a list of Westmeath townlands, I can't match it up at all, all of his siblings after this simply say Milltownpass.

Can you make the image bigger or link to where it appears in the GRO website?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Here's the top half of the record: http://imgur.com/a/Ij2KQ

Bottom half: http://imgur.com/a/1UjH1

Link to record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02291/1859778.pdf
    He is the Peter Moran second from bottom

Would it be Claremount?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Would it be Claremount?
    That was my first thought, if you google Claremount Westmeath the first place that comes up is a farm in Milltownpass, but after I looked again I wasn't so sure that's what was written

Can anyone make out the occupation of Myles Long, groom in the third marriage on this page please?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1894/10571/5851110.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

If it's the same chap he's a butchers porter in 1911.
    So could it be porter on the marriage cert?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

it definitely says porter - a very common occupation at the time at least among the rellies I've checked.

Thanks guys!

I thought porter too, and agree, Hermy, that is him on the census.

This is a can of worms I've opened.

Got a free €10 credit from Glasnevin at BTOP and decided to look for my great-great grandfather's grave. Found it: him, his wife, their son, and a mystery woman who had the same surname.

An hour later, I've found 20 people who belong to this woman (9 kids, husband, multiple in-laws and grandparents for husband).

Links:
    same surname
    same religion
    same area of city and using same church
    And of course, she's in the grave with my people.

Looks likely that her husband is my gg-grandfather's cousin, at the moment. Unfortunately, the grandparents' marriage has no parents recorded.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement