Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to benefit the environment...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Base price wrote: »
    When I was younger I used to have long hair and occasionally they would get caught in it which wasn't as bad as a bat getting caught in it :eek:

As an aside, around 12 years ago my brother built a small extension to my late Uncles house in Longford and within a year or so bats moved in. They arrive in Spring and stay well into the Autumn. They do their bat thing and hang outta of the eves. Unfortunately he found two dead on the floor a couple of weeks ago after the cold spell.

Any idea what type of bats the are.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Afaik theres a couple of different species in Ireland. There was a bat group that used to ask permission to check out some old buildings, but havn't seen them in a couple of years. They had a 'bat box' which I think picked up sonar so they could track the bats at dusk.
    At the time I paid for a download app thingie for the phone that was supposed to identify their sonar calls/sounds but it didn't work.

My brother never finished off the room where the bats are hanging over as at the time he didn't want to disturb them. He then discovered that they produce lots of of small mouse size pellets/****s - there is no ceiling/plaster board in the room.

I think one of the dead bats fell onto the widow sill and is still there. I will take a pic during the week.
    Pics of the dead bat if anyone can identify the species.

The rest of the clan are in situ and judging by the amount of ****e/pellets that they expel they are happy chappies.

Pics of the dead bat if anyone can identify the species.

The rest of the clan are in situ and judging by the amount of ****e/pellets that they expel they are happy chappies.
    Oops - the pictures didn't load, I will try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Oops - the pictures didn't load, I will try again.

Common Pipistrelle Bat ?

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/mammals/common-pipistrelle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yup - I'd agree...

• Advertisement

I came across this initiative on the biodiversity Ireland website. It is called Backyard biodiversity and encourages people with urban and rural gardens who are new to recording biodiversity to identify and record 20 specific species. New species will be added throughout the seasons. I think it's a great initiative especially for children.

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/record-biodiversity/backyard-biodiversity/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I came across this initiative on the biodiversity Ireland website. It is called Backyard biodiversity and encourages people with urban and rural gardens who are new to recording biodiversity to identify and record 20 specific species. New species will be added throughout the seasons. I think it's a great initiative especially for children.

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/record-biodiversity/backyard-biodiversity/

Spent 2day visiting a friend in Dun Laoighre - have to say I was very impressed how they manage green areas in that part of the city - strips and meadows of wildflowers everywhere with the likes of Roundup virtually phased out

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Spent 2day visiting a friend in Dun Laoighre - have to say I was very impressed how they manage green areas in that part of the city - strips and meadows of wildflowers everywhere with the likes of Roundup virtually phased out
    Last week I was on the M9 heading to Carlow and I was surprised to see daisies growing on the banks on a stretch between exit 4 and 5.

I know from reading their website that Biodiversity Ireland have projects like the Pollinator plan for farms, businesses and county councils but imo it doesn't reach out to farmers iykwim.

I think they should have an incentive like the Backyard one that is directed solely at farmers, something easy/simple that we on F&F (and other internet forums) could promote and encourage awareness of our farms biodiversity.

A true story - a few weeks ago myself and OH were feeding meal to calves. After feeding the calves I was peering into the hedgerow around the field gate looking for bumblebees when a neighbour walked by and asked if I lost something. I explained that I was looking for bees and he laughed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit from NZ on their perspective of their proposed reductions.
    https://www.climatechangenews.com/2019/05/15/new-zealands-farmers-chance-climate-leaders/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was reading a piece recently that mentioned the severe climate disruptions experienced in Ireland during the 1740's being the final nail in the coffin for our native woodlands as desperate people cut down much of what remained for fuel. Probably sealed the faith of species like the wolf, Red Squirrel(since brough back),Capercaille, Spotted Woodpecker etc. as native species. Interestingly in an era of much hysteria about "climate change" the severe weather events of this time are reckoned to have killed a larger proportion of the population then the "Great" famine of the 1840's!!

Global warming is a load of nonsense.
    The so called scientists are on about the melting poles but fail to tell the masses of the scores of active volcanoes under the Antarctic.
    What's the agenda.

Look after the world, bleed for the little spider that will be "extinct" from those bad humans and then kill those humans before they can be born to do any more damage.

Not saying we should be abusing the planet but there needs to be a balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A bit from NZ on their perspective of their proposed reductions.
    https://www.climatechangenews.com/2019/05/15/new-zealands-farmers-chance-climate-leaders/

That article hasn't said how they propose to reduce methane.
    That could be a reduction in livestock numbers by 25%.

At least our own muckers in their climate plan propose introducing methane reducing ingredients into feed for our livestock to meet targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The so called scientists are on about the melting poles but fail to tell the masses of the scores of active volcanoes under the Antarctic.
    What's the agenda.

Look after the world, bleed for the little spider that will be "extinct" from those bad humans and then kill those humans before they can be born to do any more damage.

The latest nonsense from the greens in Germany, looks like they want to starve the masses. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/16/german-greens-look-ban-industrial-farming/amp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That article hasn't said how they propose to reduce methane.
    That could be a reduction in livestock numbers by 25%.

At least our own muckers in their climate plan propose introducing methane reducing ingredients into feed for our livestock to meet targets.

Yeah, adding methane reduction products to feed and moving onto more diverse swards for grazing would be some of the methods they are trialling atm. Some interesting results as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Yeah, adding methane reduction products to feed and moving onto more diverse swards for grazing would be some of the methods they are trialling atm. Some interesting results as well.

But they won’t allow that as they want to demonise farming just the same as they don’t use trees and hedge grows on farms as carbon sinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Diverse swards could be a bit of a stickler for those of us in high rainfall areas or heavy ground. You see it any time there is a bit of poaching weeds take off, managing those swards would be difficult.

What's the agenda.

Most of the damage being done around the world is caused by greed,corruption and ignorance. Tackling such things would go along way to steady the planet in terms of our impacts.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Diverse swards could be a bit of a stickler for those of us in high rainfall areas or heavy ground. You see it any time there is a bit of poaching weeds take off, managing those swards would be difficult.

You can choose suiteable species for such areas - in terms of herbs your talking about the likes of greater birdsfoot trefoil, lesser spearwort etc. along with grasses like Marsh foxtail etc. they would certainly require alot less inputs then maintaining monoculture ryegrass swards on such land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You can choose suiteable species for such areas - in terms of herbs your talking about the likes of greater birdsfoot trefoil, lesser spearwort etc. along with grasses like Marsh foxtail etc. they would certainly require alot less inputs then maintaining monoculture ryegrass swards on such land.

It's not about growing them but managing weeds and maintaining output tbh. I'll look at any trials and see how they may apply here but at the end of the day, I have debt to repay and an income required from the farm, as most of us do, I just don't see many comments on financial sustainability when all these things get bandied about. Not against measures that may help but the way the conversation is going policy makers seem to think we'll be able to live on fresh air, farming is the sole income here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's not about growing them but managing weeds and maintaining output tbh. I'll look at any trials and see how they may apply here but at the end of the day, I have debt to repay and an income required from the farm, as most of us do, I just don't see many comments on financial sustainability when all these things get bandied about. Not against measures that may help but the way the conversation is going policy makers seem to think we'll be able to live on fresh air, farming is the sole income here.

You could throw in cocksfoot. Timothy, fescues or festuloliums to suit, without affecting management much but the sward would be more efficient at using n.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Those methane reducing feeds could be largely pie in the sky thinking.
    When fibre's fermented to produce acetate etc in the rumen, there's a supply of leftover hydrogen and by creating methane it's removed from the rumen. The problem is if you inhibit the methane producers, that supply of hydrogen is still there.

Huge money to be collected though if you come up with a nice proposal for researching some new fairy dust extract from some plant nobody has ever heard of before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You could throw in cocksfoot. Timothy, fescues or festuloliums to suit, without affecting management much but the sward would be more efficient at using n.

Atm the current advice on practices which can be used to sequester carbon and mitigate GHG emissions from livestock and manure:

• Select regionally appropriate forages.

• utilise high quality feed that will reduce methane released from enteric fermentation

• Practice rotational grazing

• Manage manure to reduce methane and nitrous oxide (thru improving nutrient management planning in combination with optimal use of slurry and legumes helping to increase nitrogen efficiency and reduce nitrous oxide emission)

I'd say in Ireland we are more suited than most to adopt many of the above recommendations because of existing largely grass based systems already incorporating many of those practices or at least the opportunity of implementing them

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/grass-based-dairy-and-beef-production-will-remain-the-backbone-of-irish-farming/

With regard to reducing methane and nitrous oxide reckon a big change could be widespread Anaerobic digestion. This was mooted back in 2018 - but I haven't heard much about it since tbh

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/multimillion-euro-mitchelstown-project-to-use-slurry-to-power-56000-homes-888554.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

2 things about that that I'd like to see answered.
    A - was the bird watcher trespassing?
    B - has the nest been verified by the NPWS?

ganmo wrote: »
    2 things about that that I'd like to see answered.
    A - was the bird watcher trespassing?
    B - has the nest been verified by the NPWS?
    As per Coillte website - "We have an open forest policy and welcome an estimated 18 million visits to our forests every year."
    https://www.coillte.ie/our-business/our-divisions/forestry/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://www.odt.co.nz/rural-life/dairy/ireland-still-advocates-jersey-cows

On a side note rangitata island where the man is based was described as being "a place so hungry the rabbits brought a packed lunch" that was beflre irrigation and dairying started up there.

Better living everyone

Just came across this article in the journal and haven't read it in full.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/climate-plan-will-cater-for-1-6m-dairy-cows-472479

The government is to measure hedgerows nationwide for their carbon sink - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/hedgerow-carbon-sink-potential-to-be-measured-by-2021-476941

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

The government is to measure hedgerows nationwide for their carbon sink - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/hedgerow-carbon-sink-potential-to-be-measured-by-2021-476941

Any word on how much/m we'll get? Everything has a value now ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

I worked with Brazilians for a number of years in America, their dream was to return home eventually and buy their own ..as they put it 'big ranch' (they never use the words farm or farming) Basically what they meant was buying a few thousand acres, dirt cheap, of what we call 'The Amazon Rainforest' and clearing it of all vegetation by the slash & burn method and stocking it with cattle.
    On average 150 acres of this Amazon Rainforest is lost every minute of every day - that's approx. 78 million acres per year. That's a lot of smoke going into the atmosphere + a major decrease of the earth's 'lungs'

Anyone who thinks for a minute that growing a few extra hedgerows, cutting the no. of cattle or changing from petrol/diesel cars to electric in Ireland will make a difference is sadly delusional.
    It's rather ironic that the EU will penalise Ireland for exceeding certain carbon limits, yet they just made a deal with Brazil to buy more of their beef..........beef that will probably be produced on the ranches referred to above - the more demand there is for their beef the more land will be cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And the sad thing is as far as the consumer is concerned. All beef will now be looked upon as damaging the rainforest and native people displacement.
    There'll be no distinction between Irish and Brazilian in the minds of many.
    People will just cut back on beef or pick the cheapest in the supermarket.

Advertisement