Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Van Morrison duet with Ian Paisley Jnr.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seaninbayarea

I’ve been a huge Van fan since the early 80s, bought nearly all his albums and seen him many times. Always overlooked his contrariness but this is a bridge too far. Very disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

I’ve been a huge Van fan since the early 80s, bought nearly all his albums and seen him many times. Always overlooked his contrariness but this is a bridge too far. Very disappointing

This is the straw that broke the camels back?
    He's been spouting dangerous rubbish for years imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Tan Morrison

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seaninbayarea

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nothing new here.

Van has always been grumpy and Ian has always been a dope.

At least Van's saving grace is his genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Prefer The Prodigy, The Pope, and Paisley Sr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g76vSJzKOB8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Into the septic

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

If you just heard the chant you might think they were saying "Robbing swans is very dangerous", which is reasonable advise. They can break a man's arm...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Always thought Van Morrison was a cantankerous oaf and cared liitle about anything but himself, Arrogant, belligerent are two other discriptions that come to mind. I suppose this performance (if you could call it that) typifies what the odious G** he is.

Did I mention his music is whiney S**** also :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

It brings to mind music journalist Mark Ellen's quote "There appeared to be two types of people in the world: those who liked Van Morrison and those who’d met him.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

onform wrote: »
    If you just heard the chant you might think they were saying "Robbing swans is very dangerous", which is reasonable advise. They can break a man's arm...

Can a swan break your arm? It's actually a myth, there are no reports that a swan has ever broken someone's arm. The bones in their wings are much thinner and smaller than human bones, and they're also quite hollow - experts have said they'd be more likely to break their bones if they tried to do it to a human.

Can a swan break your arm? It's actually a myth, there are no reports that a swan has ever broken someone's arm. The bones in their wings are much thinner and smaller than human bones, and they're also quite hollow - experts have said they'd be more likely to break their bones if they tried to do it to a human.

That’s ruined it now.

Thanks Dr Bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Always thought Van Morrison was a cantankerous oaf and cared liitle about anything but himself, Arrogant, belligerent are two other discriptions that come to mind. I suppose this performance (if you could call it that) typifies what the odious G** he is.

There were allegations of him hitting a partner, Michelle Rocca?

everlast75 wrote: »
    There were allegations of him hitting a partner, Michelle Rocca?

Alledged of course but I knew neighbours when he lived in Dublin and by all accounts not pleasant at all to deal with, all sorts of boundary disputes, objections odd behaviour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'm a big fan of his music, for me one of the greatest musical talents this island has ever produced. In my younger days I was a regular concert goer and hands down the best show I ever saw was Van in Madison Square Garden NYC, but he's always been an odd character and I was very disappointed seeing this. Was he drunk?

You were doing great but you let yourself down with this quote. Van is a generational musical talent, multi-instrumentalist who is critically acclaimed throughout the world. Tickets for his concerts in the likes of the US sell out in minutes. Not bad for someone who produces "whiney ****e" eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

So disappointing that the guy who wrote into the mystic is such a twat.

elperello wrote: »
    Nothing new here.

Van has always been grumpy and Ian has always been a dope.

At least Van's saving grace is his genius.

Language like 'genius' is thrown around with comical abandon when it comes to musicians. :pac:

It's what turns so many of them into insufferable twats, like Van.

So your post has it all and hits the nail on the head, even if you didn't make the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It's been common knowledge for decades that hes a monumental gobshyte but hes really surpassing himself lately.

You were doing great but you let yourself down with this quote. Van is a generational musical talent, multi-instrumentalist who is critically acclaimed throughout the world. Tickets for his concerts in the likes of the US sell out in minutes. Not bad for someone who produces "whiney ****e" eh?

Fair point but I've never subscribed to discribing a sound akin to a screeching Banshee having a tooth extraction Genius. Just on his concerts, I've heard tell of as many dissapointed fans as happy ones, the impression generally being, he'd much rather be somewhere else. I saw a post recently where it appears his entire performance was done with his back to the audience. No doubting his success, I'm just flummoxed as to how it happened to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Fair play to Van for standing up for something he believes in....

He's a musician who's lived through the US civil rights movement and of course The Troubles without writing a song about it

But ask the cúnt to wash his hands and he releases a protest album and tries to take the country to court

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He's real real gone now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

OSI wrote: »
    A swan broke my cousins arm and collar bone.

She was walking by a lake and tripped and fell into one of those swan pedalos.

And of course the Robin Swan is capable of doing severe damage. I wonder how much thought his parents put into coming up with the name Robin Swann.

In the local paper I saw a report about a man called Fechin Rath winning a Pitch'n'Putt match.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/localnotes/termonfeckin-27164454.html

Fair point but I've never subscribed to discribing a sound akin to a screeching Banshee having a tooth extraction Genius. Just on his concerts, I've heard tell of as many dissapointed fans as happy ones, the impression generally being, he'd much rather be somewhere else. I saw a post recently where it appears his entire performance was done with his back to the audience. No doubting his success, I'm just flummoxed as to how it happened to be honest.

He was and is successful because he is insanely talented, simple as that. You don't like his music which is fair enough. I'm not crazy about U2 never really got the hype but I recognise they are a talented group of guys who have a worldwide fanbase. As for bad live performances, what you described sounded a lot like Bob Dylan. Are you also flummoxed by his success?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The "I don't like Van Morrison" train is leaving the Botanic railway station at 5.15.

He was and is successful because he is insanely talented, simple as that. You don't like his music which is fair enough. I'm not crazy about U2 never really got the hype but I recognise they are a talented group of guys who have a worldwide fanbase. As for bad live performances, what you described sounded a lot like Bob Dylan. Are you also flummoxed by his success?

U2 as a group simply and consistantly excellent, the same could be said for Bob Dylan. Bono is an ass but not hateful, spiteful mean etc, Morrison to his fans is no doubt excellent too albeit he's a bit like Marmite. Having talent doesn't I believe excuse rudeness, biligerence, ignorance etc. Aside from the man I can't abide, can I be forgiven for not liking his music, which is quite simply Gik.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The days of having to have a lot of talent to obtain fame and fortune are over decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Van jumped the shark 25 years ago when he did a duet with Cliff Richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I've always thought he was over-rated and that he got away with being an arsehole because journalists fawned over him. Is he really that talented or are people giving him too much leeway based on some albums he made decades ago?

• Advertisement

U2 as a group simply and consistantly excellent, the same could be said for Bob Dylan. Bono is an ass but not hateful, spiteful mean etc, Morrison to his fans is no doubt excellent too albeit he's a bit like Marmite. Having talent doesn't I believe excuse rudeness, biligerence, ignorance etc. Aside from the man I can't abide, can I be forgiven for not liking his music, which is quite simply Gik.

Fair enough, but I suggest you go back to you original post calling his music ****e and insert the words "In my opinion"

Advertisement