Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Morrison duet with Ian Paisley Jnr.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭golfball37

Van is a Protestant from ni yet a supporter of the Irish language. Always respected him for that. His music at its best is easily the best and most creative to come from this island imo. He’s a prat but a talented one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Call him whatever you like, disagree with his stance on covid, say he's lost his mind but anyone questioning the mans musical ability is either blinded by their dislike of him or absolutely clueless

Either that or people just have a different opinion (this is coming from someone who likes his music fwiw).

Yeah I could never get that much into him - I'm certainly not clueless about music though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

golfball37 wrote: »
    Van is a Protestant from ni yet a supporter of the Irish language. Always respected him for that. His music at its best is easily the best and most creative to come from this island imo. He’s a prat but a talented one.

Any link for his support for the Irish language?

Nothing coming up on Google...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »

Gusty Spence was also a protestent and fond of the Irish language...Just saying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Such stupidity is not worthy of any response
    LOL! You have to love the innocence of the teenage fan club members! :D

Rothko wrote: »
    Either that or people just have a different opinion (this is coming from someone who likes his music fwiw).

Fair enough music is subjective and people can have their opinions but an artist doesn't last over 5 decades and numerous awards including Grammys unless they are talented. Inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, inducted into the songwriters hall of fame. His concerts sell out in minutes, especially in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Fair enough music is subjective and people can have their opinions but an artist doesn't last over 5 decades and numerous awards including Grammys unless they are talented. Inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, inducted into the songwriters hall of fame. His concerts sell out in minutes, especially in the US.

Yeah, keeping a career going for five decades takes a lot of work. I'll agree on that.

However, I don't put any stock into awards at all tbh. They mean nothing to me. As for the RNR hall of fame, the less said about that the better.

It's always either/or to an ultra. Van Morrisson is not a football team or political party. And nobody is obliged to think he is a 'genius'. Ridiculous. :pac:

Talent is everywhere, genius is rare... and 99% of the time that language is marketing patter dutifully repeated by suckers.

Anyway, so as to avoid being lynched the next time I visit boards, YouTube recommended this to me today. I won't lie, I had a bit of a smirk as I listened to it. Kick ass, raw sound...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yeah I love Them - but his solo stuff, can't warm to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Definitely the Ian Paisley thing was not his finest moment...

but my God, his music!

My introduction to him was back in '86 with the release of 'No Guru, no Method, no Teacher' and then I had the absolute pleasure of going through his back catalogue...and I discovered 'The Last Waltz. The live version of 'Caravan' is just sublime. Astral Weeks, Veedon Fleece, Tupelo Honey....how could one man have written and performed all of these?...And way more.

I had him on in my car so much when my kids were small in the '90's that they got sick of him and began to hate him, but interestingly as adults, they have decided I was right all along and his music is magic.

Have missed very few of his concerts since '86...yes, they can be a bit hit and miss depending on his form. He is better in smaller venues...the Stadium was a great place to see him. The best concert I was at though was at a dinner dance in a hotel in Belfast, (around '04 I'd say) where he was the surprise act. The room held about 200 people and I was just 10 feet away from him....he was amazing. I felt as if I'd died and gone to heaven.

One of Michelle Rocca's daughters spoke fondly of him in the last year or so and he was quite civil and engaging with Miriam O'Callaghan in a relatively recent interview. Maybe in private he's not as grumpy as the public Van.

Advertisement