Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Best of luck.

Don't worry about the nerves, everyone gets them.

For most of us its not natural to get out and fight another individual, putting all we've learned on the line.

Your nerves are just a mix of a small bit of fear and a larger mix of excitement but its hard to works.

Fair play to you for registering for competition, a lot of people defeat themselves long before any competition by giving into their nerves and never fighting.

Pre fight nerves is a good topic, probably deserves a separate thread as it can be pretty personal to an individual who may be very reluctant to talk about it to his club mates, family or even his coach.

Last time I fought I was almost vomiting the day before, luckily enough I've some very good support and people I can call on but a lot of lads don't have that.

If anyone wishes to discuss pre fight nerves a new thread would be brilliant.

That'd be interesting. Start a thread and see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Start a thread and see how it goes

I'm too nervous, you do it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm too nervous, you do it :p

Can't. Nerves get the better of me. Which reminds me of a story I should tell, except I've nowhere to tell it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

Best of luck.

Don't worry about the nerves, everyone gets them.

For most of us its not natural to get out and fight another individual, putting all we've learned on the line.

Your nerves are just a mix of a small bit of fear and a larger mix of excitement but its hard to works.

Fair play to you for registering for competition, a lot of people defeat themselves long before any competition by giving into their nerves and never fighting.

Pre fight nerves is a good topic, probably deserves a separate thread as it can be pretty personal to an individual who may be very reluctant to talk about it to his club mates, family or even his coach.

Last time I fought I was almost vomiting the day before, luckily enough I've some very good support and people I can call on but a lot of lads don't have that.

If anyone wishes to discuss pre fight nerves a new thread would be brilliant.

Tito Ortiz actually vomited before every fight

cletus wrote: »
    Tito Ortiz actually vomited before every fight

I know a few lads who get it from both ends for a full 24 hours before a competition.

I really do think this topic deserves a thread (not that it can't be discussed here, but the discussion here was moving at a nice pace anyhow.

Well my last one (it was Judo and I needed the last ten points for my black belt), I was a bag of nerves the day before and in fact I barely slept for the previous 48 hours.

I went through every scenario in my head, but most importantly I concentrated on how I thought I'd win, I barely thought of nothing else.

When the moment came I banged it in, and BAM I got the win.

I'm not joking when I say it was like winning a world championship. I cried, I laughed. I was afraid to wear my news acquired black belt in case it wasn't real ~ it was seriously the best moment of my martial arts journey.

But the nerves the night before I'll never forget, I've never experienced anything like it.

Like I said earlier, nerves and fears can be very private to an individual and I was lucky I'd some excellent friends & team mates to ring and chat with ~ but some lads feel they have no one or they're not comfortable admitting they're experiencing nerves and fears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just a heads up lads and ladies.

Was caught on the hop today and somehow forgot to pack a rash guard for no gi tonight so I ran into penny's and grabbed one of their €8 Base Layers, and I actually really liked it.

They have really cheap looking €5 ones and much nicer looking and feeling €8 ones. I'll probably mostly use it under my gi from now on but would have no problems using it for no gi either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Onnit invational, no-gi tourney, streaming for free right now

https://www.onnit.com/live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Watching it here, cant believe how technical she is for a 13 year old, amazing, the transition from being mounted to calf slicer was slick.

Year, for 13, she was moving like a high level purple belt. But'll be 2-3 years before she's eligible for a purple belt
    The two girls got $250 each for fight of the night.

Mellor wrote: »
    ...suplex to RNC...
    CelebratedQuaintAfricanporcupine.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Full event available here to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

on the hygiene side of bjj,, do ye just use normal shower gel or have any of ye bought antifungal/antibacterial stuff? if yes, what is it and is it any good? i throw a few drops of tea tree oil into my shower gel but thinking of something like armbar soap..

I use tree tea shampoo. It's for hair, but I figure it's a decent anti-bacterial soap.
    I also have some a shower gel branded specific for grapplers. I haven't tried it yet though. I got it for free from a sponsor at a comp a few months ago. Typically, it was only a few days after I bought the tea tree stuff.

Obviously it'll be mostly positive answers but what would yous say to a fat **** in their late 20s thinking of getting into BJJ? Back in the day when I was already a fat **** I never lost a fair fight because I would use my weight to get it to the ground. Just wondering if someone as out of shape as me (seriously, I'd need a doctor's note before a gym would let me in :P ) should bother with it.

on the hygiene side of bjj,, do ye just use normal shower gel or have any of ye bought antifungal/antibacterial stuff? if yes, what is it and is it any good? i throw a few drops of tea tree oil into my shower gel but thinking of something like armbar soap..

A hot shower and gel/soap for me.

I just read the 'armbar soap' website and if anyone buys into that bullsh*t they're bloody gobshites.

Armbar are chasing the shoyoroll business model. Make everything limited edition and put the price up. :cool:
    Coconut, acai, etc will all do nothing I'd imagine. It's the soap part that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 qwerticus

Check out Dr. Bronner soaps, found in health food shops.

I find the tea tree version to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Obviously it'll be mostly positive answers but what would yous say to a fat **** in their late 20s thinking of getting into BJJ? Back in the day when I was already a fat **** I never lost a fair fight because I would use my weight to get it to the ground. Just wondering if someone as out of shape as me (seriously, I'd need a doctor's note before a gym would let me in :P ) should bother with it.

Guy in my club started the same time as me. He was around 100kg starting out and couldn't do a lap of the mats at the start of class.

He's down to 70kg now and had a few cage fights.

Well lets be honest about it, you're not going to get skinny thinking about it!.

Seriously, get your doc's clearance and give it a try.

BJJ is low impact and low on injuries.

No matter how fit you are coming into BJJ you're going to gas for a while, its just the person not relaxing and training very tense and with strength all the time.

With time you'll learn to use technique more, that as well as your 'mat' fitness improving you won't struggle so much.

Give it a go, you've nothing to lose and only everything to gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

if you want to lose weight and get fit then its definitely a great choice.. I was in an very active job but then changed so my fitness went down, so I tried normal working out and running and I hated it.. i found it so tedious and boring... so i tried bjj and its amazing tbh.. def try it at least once..

• Advertisement

Go for it asap, you'll regret time you waste deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thinking of getting this book, Jiu-Jitsu University, has anyone seen it in local shops in Ireland? I saw Easons are selling it on their website but for double the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jiu-jitsu-University-Saulo-Ribeiro/dp/0981504434

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Well lets be honest about it, you're not going to get skinny thinking about it!.

Seriously, get your doc's clearance and give it a try.

BJJ is low impact and low on injuries.

No matter how fit you are coming into BJJ you're going to gas for a while, its just the person not relaxing and training very tense and with strength all the time.

With time you'll learn to use technique more, that as well as your 'mat' fitness improving you won't struggle so much.

Give it a go, you've nothing to lose and only everything to gain.

Is it really low on injuries? Maybe i got unlucky or just went to a **** gym (not naming any names). But i did a few months of traditional JJ last year and managed to get bruised ribs from the instructor basically kneeling on my chest, and had pain when swallowing for months after RNC practice. Also had some girl who didnt cut her fingernails almost claw my eye out.

Im 3 weeks into training at a new gym now and so far all ive had is the soreness the morning after a good session so hopefully itll stay that way for a while.

But yeah to anyone looking to get fit or just learn a new skill BJJ is awesome. Youll sweat you god damn ass off, i never trained in full Gi til i joined this gym, its like doing Cardio in a sauna :D

Is it really low on injuries? Maybe i got unlucky or just went to a **** gym (not naming any names). But i did a few months of traditional JJ last year and managed to get bruised ribs from the instructor basically kneeling on my chest, and had pain when swallowing for months after RNC practice. Also had some girl who didnt cut her fingernails almost claw my eye out.

Im 3 weeks into training at a new gym now and so far all ive had is the soreness the morning after a good session so hopefully itll stay that way for a while.

But yeah to anyone looking to get fit or just learn a new skill BJJ is awesome. Youll sweat you god damn ass off, i never trained in full Gi til i joined this gym, its like doing Cardio in a sauna :D

A bit of newbie soreness isn't usually an injury.

Someone not cutting their nails are just manky fookers and you should have pointed this out to the instructor.

You never done traditional JJ in a Gi?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this book, Jiu-Jitsu University, has anyone seen it in local shops in Ireland? I saw Easons are selling it on their website but for double the price.

I picked it up in Chapters a few years back, if you're in Dublin.

Clive wrote: »
    I picked it up in Chapters a few years back, if you're in Dublin.

Not in Dublin but might check a couple locsl shops so first before getting online thanks. Do you find the book good?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zero-Cool wrote: »

It's a long shot but have you tried ringing ECJJ? Darragh might have one or two knocking around seeing as they are affiliated to Riberio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Brick and mortar shops in Dublin that sell Gi?

Where are they? One on One CS seems to be closed down.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's a long shot but have you tried ringing ECJJ? Darragh might have one or two knocking around seeing as they are affiliated to Riberio.

Sorry, never heard of ECJJ :o I take it they're in Dublin? If so, bit of a trek for me.

Advertisement