Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eeloe wrote: »
    so i can of course compete without a rash guard. Is it possible to wear spats under ibjjf rules?

Not allowed unfortunately. (assuming you are a guy that it)
    Spats also not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Mellor wrote: »
    Not allowed unfortunately. (assuming you are a guy that it)
    Spats also not allowed.

But you can wear calf compression sleeves or a tubular bandage (washable one) and do likewise for the arms, it's a workaround anyhow :-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

RoboRat wrote: »
    But you can wear calf compression sleeves or a tubular bandage (washable one) and do likewise for the arms, it's a workaround anyhow :-)

Ah that's deadly, once i can wear the compression sleeves i'm golden! :)

Thanks guys

Hmmm, technically that does appear to be a workaround as they aren't "pants".

BTW eeloe when non-ibjjf is run under ibjjf rules, it generally refers to allowable subs, points, and other general rules.
    I wouldn't expect a local irish tournament to be as militant about the uniform as IBJJF ran tournaments.

The Irish Open wouldn't be as strict as they run under IBJJF rules but it's not an IBJJF tournament.

I cant see an issue with the sleeves as you can argue the case that it's a support and therefore no different to taping or ankle/knee/ wrist supports, you just need to weigh in with them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

eeloe wrote: »
    Ah that's deadly, once i can wear the compression sleeves i'm golden! :)

Thanks guys

I have really bad psoriasis too, I used dovonex for a while and it took a small part of the issue away, but i would go with tubular bandages over compression sleeves mainly just due to the weight (due to sweating) /heat (because they're usually less breathable). Still a pain with the gi on though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Have you ever considered a Hemp or Bamboo Gi? They're supposed to be much softer than a traditional cotton or polyester gi (and also a little more expensive) - I've never worn one myself but I'm thinking of buying one soon.

We're looking at getting a bamboo sample to see how it feels and washes, I will let you know the results :-)

I've a pair of bamboo boxers (company in my work building sells them).
    Very comfortable, but they do seem to wear out quicker. I'd be interested to see how they fair after 50+ train sessions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I know companies like Flow, Datsusara, Green Gi have or used to offer hemp gis in the past. I remember being on the Green Gi waiting list, and everyone was talking about how hemp was more breathable etc.

However, can't remember which company, but I heard a podcast with one owner who was saying that they turned out to be less durable than expected and I think a lot use hemp blends now, with cotton added for strength.

I'd be interested in trying myself, but I've gone off US-based orders. So many good companies in the UK and Ireland now, although they're all cotton based products.

I do have a hemp gear bag from Datsusara that is amazing, very porous so stuff gets aired out better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I'm finally hoping to go back to bjj this week after taking some time off due to a skin infection and just some procrastination after it cleared up. The last class I went to was my first no-gi class and I felt quite beat up the next few days plus I had awful mat burns/blisters on my knees and toes.

My gym also offers a kickboxing class that I'm interested in trying. My bjj coach suggested I do two bjj classes a week for the first month. Am I mad to try and do a kickboxing class as well? Due to the class schedule the split would be gi class Monday, Kickboxing Tuesday then no-gi on a Friday. There's a no-gi class on a Wednesday but I'm thinking 3 days in a row would be too much. If I skip the kickboxing the split would be Mon or Tuesday gi and Friday no-gi.

I'm 41 and out of shape (106 kg and 5ft 10) so while it's never going to feel easy at the start, I don't want to do too much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

veganrun wrote: »

I'm 41 and out of shape (106 kg and 5ft 10) so while it's never going to feel easy at the start, I don't want to do too much either.

The start is the easy bit, it only gets harder :P

And 41 is fine. I seen older white belts competing at the Irish Open in the National Indoor Arena over the weekend.

I had a guy come to me in his mid 40's, he couldn't bless himself. He's just turned 50 and has taken gold and silver in two European championships.

He's on his purple belt now & I've no doubt he's in it for the long haul.

Best of luck.

I'm 41 too and I do at least 2 classes a week, try to get 3 but with work, family etc, I often only manage the 2. Don't over do it as you will just get drained and then it will make it harder to go. Quality rest is as important as training, especially as you get older.

You will feel beat up after going back, you just have to stick with it if you really want it. I started when I was 34, now a purple and I would say I can count the number of times I have woken up not sore on 2 hands over the last 7 years. It gets better, or you get used to it, either way I don't notice anymore. Just be sure to stretch down, take some protein to help muscle rebuilding and lots of water.

I'm not gonna lie, the older you get, the more you think 'I'm get too old for this ****' and it's harder to motivate yourself. The younger lads with an abundance of energy will test you, especially when you move up in rank... you're the old warhorse and an easy scalp but what you don't have in energy, you make up for in experience and pressure.

It's not for everyone, hence why so many people quit but when you start piecing **** together and working out your game, it's worth it. If you find yourself questioning if it's for you, then try something else and see if that suits better. If you find yourself longing to go back, then you gotta suck it up and push through :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yup, rest.

The older you get you really do need that quality rest, and although everyone says it 'listen to your body', you really have to.. Don't use a little tiredness as an excuse to miss training, but injuries and illness do take longer to recover from.

For old athletes it really pays to look after your health.

One thing I always advise guys who are approaching 50 (and over) is to have their testosterone levels checked.. Men in Ireland are very reluctant to, or slow to recognize the effects of a lowered testosterone (naturally our test levels drop as we age).

You'll rarely even hear a conversation about testosterone deficiency, TRT etc.

Anyway that's another chat I guess, I just thought I'd touch on it here since there are a few people over 40.

Anyway wishes to know whats involved you can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Lads is there any early morning Bjj classes in north Dublin suitable for beginners?
    I’d love to start but need somewhere with a 6am class. I know sbg Concorde has a 6am class but it’s too far as I need to be back in my house before the kids wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

Ben Eddy, 10th planet black belt and EBI Combat Jiu Jitsu Champ, is giving a seminar in 10th Planet Dublin on Saturday 2nd June at 10am.

Seminar is donation based, more info in below link.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2040527949492574/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

bono_v wrote: »
    Lads is there any early morning Bjj classes in north Dublin suitable for beginners?
    I’d love to start but need somewhere with a 6am class. I know sbg Concorde has a 6am class but it’s too far as I need to be back in my house before the kids wake up!

Jorge Santos does a 7am class. I'm going to go check it out myself at some point over the next couple of weeks

Thanks for the replies. I didn't make it to the bjj class this evening due to some stupidity and lazyness on my part. I want to try the Kickboxing class which is on tomorrow night so I will go to that.

Jiu-jitsu is weird, I don't love it, but I don't hate it and I have this nagging urge to get better at it and not let it beat me. Don't know why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ben Eddy, 10th planet black belt and EBI Combat Jiu Jitsu Champ, is giving a seminar in 10th Planet Dublin on Saturday 2nd June at 10am.

Seminar is donation based, more info in below link.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2040527949492574/

He's in 10th planet Carlow on the 6th of June as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

veganrun wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't make it to the bjj class this evening due to some stupidity and lazyness on my part. I want to try the Kickboxing class which is on tomorrow night so I will go to that.

Jiu-jitsu is weird, I don't love it, but I don't hate it and I have this nagging urge to get better at it and not let it beat me. Don't know why :)
    Sounds normal enough

• Advertisement

bono_v wrote: »

RGA in Dublin 15 do a 6am class Monday and Friday

Think I will stick to just 2 bjj sessions a week until I get used to it. I feel fairly sore and beat up the few days after just one class. Hopefully the knee pads and mat socks will help ease off the mat burns to allow me to train more consistently.

The split will be either Mon/Fri or Tues/Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Monday Thursday is plenty for me.

There's another class on Saturday afternoon if I'm feeling really energetic but in reality I'm happy if I just make the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The way the last 6 months have been, I'm glad if I can get to any classes during the week.

Lads thought I left after getting the blue belt I was gone for that long at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

For someone turning 40 next year, with full time job and family, 2 sessions a week of BJJ was about all i could ever commit to. Especially as i still have a gym membership for a normal gym and i would try and fit in a session or two per week there too. A few times id get in 3 bjj sessions per week (tues/thurs and open mat saturdays) too but not often.
    Having said that ive not done anything lately other than lifting. Im missing BJJ a lot and even dreamt about wearing the Gi last night :D Havent been to Judo as its a bit of an awkward class time, and im still a little on the fence about the actual class itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For someone turning 40 next year, with full time job and family, 2 sessions a week of BJJ was about all i could ever commit to.
    Likewise. 39 next week, working 2 jobs and dealing with life in general.

The goal is blue belt before I'm 40 though so I need to keep on with the grind.

My work schedule is making it really tricky to get the sessions in that I want to. Wanted to hit 10 session per month but falling short.
    Work is just long hours and not feeling like hanging around to make the 7-8:30 class. :(

Most of my sessions lately are just free rolling in morning or lunchtime.

Just gone 41 and to be honest, I am getting 2 a week in, maybe a 3rd occasionally. I would love to do some rolling at lunchtime but there is nowhere near me.

I am also conscious of listening to my body and not overdoing it as I just end up being tired and get injured or sick, then more time out. I have a good balance now and although after coming home from work, playing with the kids, putting them to bed, I just want to sit down... I push myself and go training.

I am not looking at others progression as there are lads who started after me, who have now surpassed me... they are half my age and have lots of time (and energy) to train so I have just accepted that and I am motoring at my own pace.

I am not looking at others progression as there are lads who started after me, who have now surpassed me.
    There's a guy who started around the same time as me. He was about 16. I was older, stronger and slightly better at jiu jitsu. He dropped out of school and changed to a gym where he could train full time.
    Fast forward 5 years. He has meddled at most big IBJJF comps. Got his brown belt last year and took gold at euros just afterwards. Brown belts pros at that level are better than your typical black belt imo.

The fact his progression is insane compared to my own actually makes it easier to not compare myself to others. My progress is exactly where it should be based on the hours I've put in. Jiu Jitsu is funny like that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

38 here. I aim for 2 BJJ sessions a week. Sometimes get 3, sometimes 1. Usually try and avoid none... If it comes to that because of my schedule I'll even try to organise a private.

If you're only going to get minimal BJJ sessions in then it makes sense to be doing some strength training on the side, and this is usually going to be easier to fit in even if you work and have kids. Prevents injuries, makes your time on the mat more productive = a no-brainer.

As far as progressing goes, I agree with the comments above that 2 sessions a week is inevitably going to result in slower development than being a 20-something who can hit five classes a week. Aside from the mat time I think it's fair to say that the 20-something is probably recovering better, getting more sleep and although it's a generalisation they're probably not juggling career and kids to the same extent (...Fair enough, some will be).

What really killed my progress relative to people I started with back in the day, though, was lay-offs. I took a lay-off of something like four years! It started with an injury, then it was a promotion at work and being busy from that, then it was having young kids... It took me a long time to get back, and there are guys I begun with who are now running their own clubs. It's fine, what can you do? There are a lot more guys who started with me who dropped out and never came back, so you can look at it that way too.

I'd also say that if you're only on the mats a modest amount of time, and other people are living on them, you've got to consider that BJJ is just something they're prioritising more. Maybe they don't have the family commitments or the work commitments, or maybe they've got a different set of values to you. It's all good, as long as you stand over how you prioritise the way you spend your time.

Advertisement