Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind Warning for Ireland - Storm Georgina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Valentia gusting 39 knots
    Mace head 37 knots
    Cork 37 knots
    Belmullet 33 knots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

M3 buoy out of service but further west K2 buoy had sustained 34 knot winds at 20z, looks from satellite imagery like wave has formed near there and is tracking into west Munster. Still thinking 2300h for peak winds Kerry, 00h Cork, 01h Waterford and 02h Wexford and inland southeast, then around 03h Dublin.

I think for us in the South East we will see the highest gusts this Winter so far. Possible 60kt gusts on the coast. Its a pity Waterford Airport don't report data after 8pm. They are exposed and on the coast more or less so normally would get accurate readings.
    Anyway we will see what's my Max speed here in Waterford City

www.waterfordcityweather.com www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I think for us in the South East we will see the highest gusts this Winter so far. Possible 60kt gusts on the coast. Its a pity Waterford Airport don't report data after 8pm. They are exposed and on the coast more or less so normally would get accurate readings.

Johnstown castle in Wexford does though, it’s usually on the met e website, albeit not updated frequently

Buoy M6 down to 983hpa and gusting 54 knots

WEB_Analysis.png?2140

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

Really picked up now in Achill. Very strong gusts with erie calm in-between. Not liking this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

vicwatson wrote: »
    Johnstown castle in Wexford does though, it’s usually on the met e website, albeit not updated frequently

I have a feeling that the Johnstown castle station is not that exposed.
    I think it's beside the public road and if I'm right there's plenty of trees nearby to get a lower reading than you would otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

M3 buoy out of service but further west K2 buoy had sustained 34 knot winds at 20z, looks from satellite imagery like wave has formed near there and is tracking into west Munster. Still thinking 2300h for peak winds Kerry, 00h Cork, 01h Waterford and 02h Wexford and inland southeast, then around 03h Dublin.

I genuinely can't remember the last time all 5 buoys were in service at the same time on that page :rolleyes:

Fastnet now gusting 51kts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Picking up steadiliy here near Tralee for a while now, recent gust 66 km/h ( 7m )

12.5C ( Temp rising since 18.00 )

Bar 996.6 hPa Falling Rapidly

rafales_uk_ewn3.png

rg19KAS.jpg?1

r1wpJLm.gif

Missing most of the rain so far. Recent lightning off the SW.

fw63QDd.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds noticeably on the rise now. Max gust 50km/h

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have a feeling that the Johnstown castle station is not that exposed.
    I think it's beside the public road and if I'm right there's plenty of trees nearby to get a lower reading than you would otherwise.

I think I stand corrected.

https://www.met.ie/about/weatherobservingstations/Johnstown-Castle.asp

It must be the older station I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was thinking the SE could get a fair whip off this in the early morning all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Somebody's throwing ginormous buckets of water at the south facing window here in s Sligo !!!!

Was thinking the SE could get a fair whip off this in the early morning all right.

I've looked at all the high Res models and most are giving gusts to 60kt here. Thats a big deal for us as most of the time we escape the worst of the Atlantic Storms.

10pm... getting windy ....

Belmullet gusting 47 knots
    Mace head 46 knots
    Newport 44 knots
    Cork 42 knots
    Valentia 42 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What will we peak at ?

Me guesses, Sherkin/Cork that area around 62kt

Maybe Belmullet will sneak upto 64kt

And I'd be interested to see Waterford later.

Yellow winds elsewhere i think.

Fastnet 58kt (as GL would point out were he not on a plane, 60m up & 7km offshore :) )
    Increasing steadily. Hurricane force gusts there soon.

I'd say a 75kt gust there or so with Belmullet or Mace topping out around 65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

sdanseo wrote: »
    Fastnet 58kt (as GL would point out were he not on a plane, 60m up & 7km offshore :) )
    Increasing steadily. Hurricane force gusts there soon.

I'd say a 75kt gust there or so with Belmullet or Mace topping out around 65

Why is everyone thinking Belmullet will top the chart if the peak winds are supposedly south of us.
    I'm just outside Newport and the wind is fine, a few gusts here and there but fairly normal. It's the continuous heavy rain that's getting annoying at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

I'd go with Malin Head highest gust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

corsav6 wrote: »
    Why is everyone thinking Belmullet will top the chart if the peak winds are supposedly south of us.
    I'm just outside Newport and the wind is fine, a few gusts here and there but fairly normal. It's the continuous heavy rain that's getting annoying at this stage.

I thought the strongest winds were for the north and west and up the Irish sea ??? According to met eireann

Winds continue to ramp up here on the coast in Mayo, peak winds supposed to be from 12 to 4am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Would you think inland Carlow/Kilkenny (my location!) will experience this Meteorite?

• Advertisement

nagdefy wrote: »
    Would you think inland Carlow/Kilkenny (my location!) will experience this Meteorite?

Probably gusts 80 -110 km/h I would think around 03.00-04.00 . The ECM is showing gusts from 110 to 120 km/h but I wonder will they get that far inland ?

corsav6 wrote: »

Very few reporting stations south of Galway that are as exposed. Shannon is flat but inland even though technically coastal along the Estuary, and Valentia is much further south again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Wasn't expecting to be woke up by wind. D. 11. :confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Probably gusts 80 -110 km/h I would think around 03.00-04.00 . The ECM is showing gusts from 110 to 120 km/h but I wonder will they get that far inland ?

Thanks. It'll be a change of wind direction for us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Will go

Mace 68knot
    Sherkin 62knot
    Shannon 58knots
    Waterford 55knots
    Newport 52 knots
    Belmullet 52knots

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gusting to 40kts at DUB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I can hear a few bins going over here in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds on the rise here in Kildare. Gust near 50KPH just now

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

23:15hrs. Moderate rain in Cavan town, and just beginning to hear a few gusts of wind.

• Advertisement

Why Not

Sherkin 66 kt
    Roches Pt 64 kt
    Mace Hd 64 kt
    Malin 63kt
    Bellmullet 62 kt
    Shannon 59 kt
    Dublin Airport 55 kt
    Micks Station Waterford 60 kt :)

Advertisement