Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning for Ireland - Storm Georgina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Very strong winds just outside Cork City the last 30 minutes.

Roof and windows are creaking.

Definitely the 2nd strongest storm we’ve had this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like big winds coming with those squall lines that seem to be developing

8FQQqOD.png

Yep look fairly nasty and appear to picking up intensity as front tracks further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

I would even go as far as saying that this might be the strongest storm here since Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Newport gusting 59 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Winds will peak SE and E around 3-4am, so still a gusty few hours to go.

Peak gust so far @ Newport Mayo 31 Gust 59kt and the wind has veered there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann's Hirlam rainfall chart for 11pm. Don't think it could have been any more wrong.

439675.PNG

It's a fair bit out alright.
    439680.png

pad199207 wrote: »
    I would even go as far as saying that this might be the strongest storm here since Ophelia

Without a doubt here in Cork City.

Not much rain yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Winds seem to have peaked or be peaking at Fastnet. 1 Hurricane force gust...just!

86eac79a4eb7d3b237663f870b10696a.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

It’s prefty strong in Cork City. Hard to gauge other than it’s howling through the trickle vents on the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

That developing squall needs to be watched!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

Here waiting for pager to sound for trees down or god knows what in Sligo, strong winds and rain here at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

WV image at midnight:

PRRySyF.png

which nicely shows the two clashing air masses that is creating this active front, which can be seen stretching up from Kerry to Donegal on the image.

Some gale gusts here but all very underwhelming so far.

Image from the Icelandic Met Office.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Making inroads .

rafales_uk_ftk1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looks like big winds coming with those squall lines that seem to be developing

8FQQqOD.png

Something very disconcerting about that image, with those deep reds streaks looking like gashes, like it was clawed by a bear or something.

New Moon

Amazed the ESB power map hasn’t light up yet!

Seriously powerful gusts here in Cork City.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds more or less at the same level here in Waterford City the last few hours. Gusting to 60km/h. I feel when the rain band arrives it will crank up those winds to the next level. Will i still be awake to experience them is the next question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Squally in S connemara, although it's generally loud with sharp bursts of rain. Momentary lull after that last one. Wind seems to be from SSW, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Really got going around midnight,then died down quickly,Dead calm in west Mayo now, was expecting more wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Really got going around midnight,then died down quickly,Dead calm in west Mayo now, was expecting more wind...

Might have some more en route soon from here :p Although it does seem a bit quieter in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

nagdefy wrote: »
    Just noticing Eddy Graham's tweet in Meteorite's post.

Wow! Didn't realise he was active in meteorology. His Dublin Weather Diary which ended when he emmigrated to Canada in the 90s was some read. A lot of top Irish Meteorologists in Canada.

Eddy is in Stornaway now, Canada to Bern and the Stornaway;

I had been aware of, and was very much interested in the developing University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) in Scotland for some time, and so when the time came to move on from Switzerland, I applied for a research position in renewable energy at Lews Castle College, Stornoway, Scotland. The possibility of living in a Scottish Gaelic environment was a considerable factor in our decision to move here. Initially, I joined the Greenspace Green Building research team at Lews Castle College, but soon switched to become a lecturer in climate change, sustainable development and Geography-related topics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

Still pretty calm in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Rainfall radar showing intensification of the front as it's starts to cross the the west, I expect a sudden increase in winds as it passes through here in the 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Getting nasty now in limerick. Rain picking up and wind too. Talking to the mother and she said donegal isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Well that was one hell of a bumpy landing in Dublin just now. Haven't had one like that for a long time. Estimate around 40 knots at 1000 ft but windshear making the bumps.

Here the descent and landing file of my flight for viewing in Google Earth. Note the wide variation in groundspeed depending on direction. Approach airspeed is 155 kts, so the 132 kts groundspeed on final approach is about a 23-kt headwind component from a right crosswind of I would say 40-45 knots given the amount of crab.

EDIT: Stupid boards won't accept a .kml file upload. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's not far from a fropa to a faux pas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Cork981 wrote: »
    Amazed the ESB power map hasn’t light up yet!

Seriously powerful gusts here in Cork City.

I suspect Ophelia took down a lot of at risk trees branches, loose lines and anything else that could blow. There’s been no tree growth since so, there’s less to hit the power lines generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

74kmh gust here north east Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

87kmh gust is new high for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Starting to howl very steadily here in Dublin. In the last minute or two house shaking a little, about on par with Eleanor so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

WEB_radar5_201801240130.png

Nasty looking squall line.

Advertisement