Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning for Ireland - Storm Georgina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fastnet 67kt at 1.15am then dropped to 47kt 20 mins later
    67kt=124km/h

Edit: 58kt it dropped to, 47 was the average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Flight out of Dublin at 5:15 home I’ll be alright.. connecting flight after that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Very windy here in Waterford at the minute, I've gone to check on my garden fence a couple of times :) Came down during Ophelia, this is the strongest test of it since I'd think.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There were some severe gusts near Limerick city at around the top of 1 am hour. Wind has moderated a good lot since. There is a distinct squall line showing up on the rainfall radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Would be interesting to see lightning strikes in the squall line but none yet. If this was over Britain no doubt there would be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

nagdefy wrote: »
    WEB_radar5_201801240130.png

Nasty looking squall line.

Another image to prove how useless the met eireann radar is for the north west. This is the actual picture across Donegal, brutal night out there, windy but rain more a feature than the wind, heavy sheets of driving rain against the window all night

Screen_Shot_2018_01_24_at_01_53_50.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The rain rate reached 93.6mm/hr. The highest in a while for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just had one hell of a down pour here in Dundalk, Co.Louth, winds picking up now too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

Another image to prove how useless the met eireann radar is for the north west. This is the actual picture across Donegal, brutal night out there, windy but rain more a feature than the wind, heavy sheets of driving rain against the window all night

Screen_Shot_2018_01_24_at_01_53_50.png

I first noticed it back in 2009 lol

Completely calm here in Donegal, I'm inland. Not even a breeze

• Advertisement

2am reports Belmullet with the highest gust 57 knots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Winds in west cork but nothing too strong or worrying, hopefully we will miss out on this blow

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

0305 heavy rain in Glasnevin Been very gusty last 4 or 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Sudden drop in wind as the heavy rain started. Almost calm now, wind noise replaced by rain noise.

3am Roches point highest gust 57 knots. Got very windy now in a squall shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Torrential downpour Galway loudest rain i've ever heard:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Never heard anything like it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Thunder and lightning overhead Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Thunder and lightning coming now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The main part of the storm is done, Malin Head gusted to 58 knots at 0400h, think the squall line took away some of the energy from the potential high wind gusts although it was windy enough in the south ... the core is now heading for the Hebrides after missing Ulster to the north, and the squall line is heading into England and north Wales.

Gusty showers for the rest of today and another minor peak in wind speeds tonight when another trough moves past, don't think it will reach 100 km/hr but could in a few exposed locations.

Georgina was more of a rain than a wind event, I think, and there could be ongoing flooding for those about to head out for their morning drives.

• Advertisement

Winds didn't reach 110kph anywhere from what I can tell so far. One bad gust here, during a shower. Apart from a windy enough 20 minutes during that shower. It wasn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was very windy last night in Dublin. Felt stronger than the storm that had the red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

That was a rough night, woke up with the hailstones battering the window, thought it was too warm for hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

52 gust 69 knots at Benbecula Airport (6 m amsl) now.

EGPL 240720Z 21052G69KT 3500 -RA BKN005 BKN012 05/05 Q0964 RERA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Very windy here last night - heavy gate thrown over and shed doors blown open with force of wind.

Wind speed now decreasing but still blowing and noticibly loud.

Heavy rain.

130m asl
    North Cork / Limerick Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Another sleepless night in north cork. Sustained gusts and still very windy. Sounded as bad as anything else we've had this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Joanna said 59 knots was highest Gust, my station in Tullow saw an 80kmh gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

My station here in Mid-Kerry got a gust of 66kmh just after midnight ... that was the strongest .. Similar to last Wednesday's wind event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Definitely not as windy here as last Wednesday (which was yellow wind warning) and relatively short lived. I thought it strange they put out an orange warning for the entire country, maybe they were concerned about potential downdrafts from the squall line as it crossed west to east. The ARPEGE model did very well as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It was WILD in Cork City last night! I woke at 2am and it was really bad - was not expecting that at all.

Advertisement