Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning for Ireland - Storm Georgina

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Torrential downpour Galway loudest rain i've ever heard:eek:

Couldn't get from the car into work at that time, hailstones were setting off car alarms and eveything! Brilliant stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like we peaked at 59kt @ Malin Head (109kph).

Was wild enough here around 4am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

In Dublin city centre - not too bad overnight. Mild temperature but breezy enough this morning 7am along the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

21mm overnight in Naas

Max rain rate of 127mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Strong gusts here on the Donegal coast last night but nothing too noteworthy, the showers are packing a real punch though, some really squally downpours and the wind picks up dramatically as they pass through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

I first noticed it back in 2009 lol

Radars have limited effective distances.

Met Eireann would never claim to cover Donegal.

Hopefully the Aldergrove radar will be included in the updated web site when it comes online later in the year.

One would hope that money will be made available for new radars if the Government are serious about the Flood Forecasting Service they have promised.

Probably need at least 5 new radars and locations to cover the island properly.
    I understand that good hydrological radar coverage requires only 150km between radars (can anyone verify or correct that?).

Given that such radars will need clear 360 deg views finding good sites would be challenging. I imagine all the telecos have got most of the best sites already!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

leahyl wrote: »
    It was WILD in Cork City last night! I woke at 2am and it was really bad - was not expecting that at all.

Same here in Dublin. I thought nothing could be worse than Eleanor for here in terms of the noisy gusts but I was wrong, Georgina was terrifying and very annoying if I'm completely honest. Hope I can go the rest of the season without a storm as bad or worse than Georgina for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy nasty hail showers in Galway roads are pretty well flooded..

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Serious gust in the last few minutes in Galway - sounded worse than anything last night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very heavy nasty hail showers in Galway roads are pretty well flooded..

Heard M18 north of Athenry was closed this morning for a time after numerous accidents during similar hail showers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

piuswal wrote: »
    Radars have limited effective distances.

Met Eireann would never claim to cover Donegal.

Hopefully the Aldergrove radar will be included in the updated web site when it comes online later in the year.

One would hope that money will be made available for new radars if the Government are serious about the Flood Forecasting Service they have promised.

Probably need at least 5 new radars and locations to cover the island properly.
    I understand that good hydrological radar coverage requires only 150km between radars (can anyone verify or correct that?).

Given that such radars will need clear 360 deg views finding good sites would be challenging. I imagine all the telecos have got most of the best sites already!

I'm not one to ever bash them. However I contacted them about in 2009 assuming it was a fault. They said they were aware of the poor coverage and would have it for the NW very soon. 9 years later and it's still the same. It's a bit of a joke. Especially when I can go on loads of other sites and see it properly for here. Surely wouldn't be that hard for them to get it from a different site. Inexcusable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'm not one to ever bash them. However I contacted them about in 2009 assuming it was a fault. They said they were aware of the poor coverage and would have it for the NW very soon. 9 years later and it's still the same. It's a bit of a joke. Especially when I can go on loads of other sites and see it properly for here. Surely wouldn't be that hard for them to get it from a different site. Inexcusable really.

I also contacted them about it around 2009 or '10 funnily enough, they told me it was simply down to funding that they couldn't upgrade the network. I'm sure they'd love an extra couple of radars on the west coast as well to see well out into the Atlantic but I can't see much happening

Hopefully the NI radar will be included when the new website is launched at least, we really shouldn't have to use private websites servicing another country to check the weather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting system to observe last night. Never delivered the high winds that were expected but plenty of rain in places. The squall line feature that ran across the country did not seem to have that much energy going by reports.

In my opinion the ECM ( although first to predict it and was very consistent on the days leading up to it) overestimated this one by a fair bit ( up to 20 km/h ) and the ICON also if lesser so. ARPEGE, AROME, GFS and WRF did well I think. The WRF-NMM is beginning to stand out as a model to be trusted more I'm thinking.

tempresult_ueu7.gif

tempresult_liw7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I also contacted them about it around 2009 or '10 funnily enough, they told me it was simply down to funding that they couldn't upgrade the network. I'm sure they'd love an extra couple of radars on the west coast as well to see well out into the Atlantic but I can't see much happening

Hopefully the NI radar will be included when the new website is launched at least, we really shouldn't have to use private websites servicing another country to check the weather

I didn't realise. You'd think by the Met Eireann radar that most of Donegal wasn't getting a drop.

I do not think the issue is getting radar data. ME, as far as I am aware has ready access to all European radar outputs.

The issue probably, I think, is the right to use it on their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

piuswal wrote: »
    I do not think the issue is getting radar data. ME, as far as I am aware has ready access to all European radar outputs.

The issue probably, I think, is the right to use it on their own website.

Curious how 3rd party sites can use both the UK Met and Met Éireann radars on their site, but Met Éireann does not have the right to use just one radar from the UK Met on their site, despite the fact the UK Met freely uses imagery from Met Éireann radars?

Something doesn't sit right with me regarding this.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Curious how 3rd party sites can use both the UK Met and Met Éireann radars on their site, but Met Éireann does not have the right to use just one radar from the UK Met on their site, despite the fact the UK Met freely uses imagery from Met Éireann radars?

Something doesn't sit right with me regarding this.

Fair point. I was only surmising. Their could be some other issue. You could always ask them.

Advertisement