Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I agree, Dublin was calm at 2am, at 4am it picked up but wasn't anything we haven't seen before. This kind of weather 10 years ago wouldn't of raised an eyebrow.

We are over sensitive now and the new warning system is a bit OTT

Somehow we have numerous posters going on about how "it wasn't as bad as Ophelia", and yeah, no sh!t!

Ophelia was given a nationwide red level warning, Callum was given a coastal-county ORANGE warning. In other words *nobody ever forecast it to be anywhere near as bad as Ophelia*.

The reason "its no worse than a typical winter storm" is because it WAS a typical winter storm, and an orange warning doesn't suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has the wind changed? went out to look at the ocean which was not dramatic earlier and it is a seething glorious mass of breakers.

Still gusting fierce and loud.
    west mayo offshore

MJohnston wrote: »
    Somehow we have numerous posters going on about how "it wasn't as bad as Ophelia", and yeah, no sh!t!

Ophelia was given a nationwide red level warning, Callum was given a coastal-county ORANGE warning. In other words *nobody ever forecast it to be anywhere near as bad as Ophelia*.

The reason "its no worse than a typical winter storm" is because it WAS a typical winter storm, and an orange warning doesn't suggest otherwise.

we actually did not see Ophelia out here. she turned into the midlands and avoided us..

For me it classes personally as my worst storm stats and experience wise in different ways.

and it is not a contest.. just weather which many here sincerely enjoy and are experts in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maximum wind gusts (km/h) (so far for Callum at least) for Storm Callum vs Storm Ali in the same style of GL's post for Ali vs Ophelia, from Ogimet synop reports.

For the majority, Ali had stronger maximum wind gusts than Callum but Storm Darwin is still on top out of the 4 for most stations.

aLmxs3L.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

How can you tell what the max gust was at a particular Met station (e.g. Roches Point) during a 24 hour period?

I use this for the synop stations (it doesn't have the likes of Athenry, Newport, etc.)

http://www.ogimet.com/resynops.phtml.en

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great piece of work there sryanbruen !

Great piece of work there sryanbruen !

as always, and yes re belmullet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Met Éireann tweets them out.

Met Éireann's daily data.

Met Éireann's historical data.

Ogimet synop reports.

That's how I find them out anyway.

I must be missing it, when I go onto MetE site for a particular station I only see their most recent recording for a station. Can you send a link that would give me the windspeeds across a day for say Athenry?

ASCAT wind measurements from 22:11Z lastnight and 10:20Z this morning. ASCAT measurements tend to underreport strong winds, so add a few knots to the highest vectors shown.

463651.png

463652.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Maximum wind gusts (km/h) (so far for Callum at least) for Storm Callum vs Storm Ali in the same style of GL's post for Ali vs Ophelia, from Ogimet synop reports.

For the majority, Ali had stronger maximum wind gusts.

KSGlUJo.png

I am thinking the very localized Orange warning was bang on so - no station exceeded the 130km threshold and many stations much less than Ali.
    Mace Head really sums up the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Anyone able to modify that table to include Ophelia?

recyclebin wrote: »

I'll edit the post shortly with Ophelia added to it, I'll also add Storm Darwin of February 2014 for good measure.

recyclebin wrote: »

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Waves not as bad as we though they would be this morning in Tramore. The slip wall was knocked in and the prom was covered in debris

https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1050718659503681536

Done.

mayo always was a place apart.... storm callum rages on here..

aLmxs3L.png

It's worth noting:

Storm Callum = Orange warnings around the coast
    Storm Ali = Orange warnings for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry.
    Ophelia = Nationwide Red warning
    Darwin = Red warning for Cork & Kerry, orange for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Limerick, Waterford, yellow for everywhere else.

I believe the warning level system was revised sometime after Darwin though? Certainly they were heavily criticised for not providing enough warning for some counties.

Also regarding Callum, these stations reached Orange level criteria for gusts: Belmullet, Mace Head, Sherkin, Valentia. Roches and Finner Camp are borderline.

Anyone know what the max mean winds were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wow, Callum had stronger winds than Ophelia, Darwin and Ali in Belmullet!

For much of the country, bar the extreme west coast, its Ali that seems to stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭pauldry

aLmxs3L.png

Great work once again.

Puts it in perspective .

Nothing much here in Sligo.

Maybe afternoon but its sunny now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i know sw donegal is supposed to get hit this afternoon but to be honest its a great day breeezy but nothing out of the ordinary strongest gust i measured was 6am and that wasnt significant.

if you're getting battered stay safe !

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

It's worth noting:

Storm Callum = Orange warnings around the coast
    Storm Ali = Orange warnings for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry.
    Ophelia = Nationwide Red warning
    Darwin = Red warning for Cork & Kerry, orange for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Limerick, Waterford, yellow for everywhere else.

I believe the warning level system was revised sometime after Darwin though? Certainly they were heavily criticised for not providing enough warning for some counties.

Also regarding Callum, these stations reached Orange level criteria for gusts: Belmullet, Mace Head, Sherkin, Valentia. Roches and Finner Camp are borderline.

Didn't the station in Sherkin lose power at the height of Ophelia?
    I think there would have been a gust similar or even higher than that recorded at Roches point for Ophelia in Sherkin if the station stayed online for the whole storm.

Met Éireann used to report the max mean speeds in each hourly synop report but for some reason stopped doing so a couple of years ago.

Met Éireann used to report the max mean speeds in each hourly synop report but for some reason stopped doing so a couple of years ago.

I guess we'll have to wait for the daily report tomorrow then?

i know sw donegal is supposed to get hit this afternoon but to be honest its a great day breeezy but nothing out of the ordinary strongest gust i measured was 6am and that wasnt significant.

if you're getting battered stay safe !

they said noon then 4 pm... sooner or later..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

463662.jpg

(Pic by Tina Schley)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Graces7 wrote: »
    they said noon then 4 pm... sooner or later..
    probably get battered as soon a i leave the office then !

Bright blue skies now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Didn't the station in Sherkin lose power at the height of Ophelia?
    I think there would have been a gust similar or even higher than that recorded at Roches point for Ophelia in Sherkin if the station stayed online for the whole storm.

Sting jet formed out to sea and took dead aim at sherkin. The station lost power right at the start of the storm. I reckon we definitely would have seen a higher gust there had power remained

probably get battered as soon a i leave the office then !

Bright blue skies now !

Yes, the sun is trying very hard to emerge from the clouds.... Callum is intent on staying around as long as he can... stamping his big feet.. the orange alert ends in 40 minutes,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A gust of around 80mph at Belmullet station is not unusual at this time of year. It surprising to see that Belmullet did not record a gust in excess of 90mph during Ophelia and Darwin. I guess if this system had tracked just a little further east, gusts of that magnitude might have been experienced. It seems storms in the past used to go up towards Scotland frequently, less so these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A gust of around 80mph at Belmullet station is not unusual at this time of year. It surprising to see that Belmullet did not record a gust in excess of 90mph during Ophelia and Darwin. I guess if this system had tracked just a little further east, gusts of that magnitude might have been experienced. It seems storms in the past used to go up towards Scotland frequently, less so these days.

Yeah I mentioned that the other day, storms seem to be taking a more southerly track these past few years. Before ~2012 nearly every storm seemed to pass just to our north with Donegal, Mayo and Scotland being hit hardest, we seem to consistently avoid the strongest winds these days in Donegal. Maybe just coincidence but its definitely been noticeable

I guess we'll have to wait for the daily report tomorrow then?

No, they don't give it in that, only the daily average and gust. It will be available in the daily climate Excel file downloads, but probably not for a month or so.

Thinking more about the 102-gusts at the WT2 buoy 16 km off the Mayo coast, it must be some sort of platform and not a buoy, like the Kinsale platform. It's just a little too high compared to Belmullet and the ASCAT data. There is also another buoy (WT1) located 6 km off the coast and it reached 98 kts, but it too must be a platform as it's only around 10-15 km from Belmullet station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Thinking more about the 102-gusts at the WT2 buoy 16 km off the Mayo coast, it must be some sort of platform and not a buoy, like the Kinsale platform. It's just a little too high compared to Belmullet and the ASCAT data. There is also another buoy (WT1) located 6 km off the coast and it reached 98 kts, but it too must be a platform as it's only around 10-15 km from Belmullet station.

Might be on a rig in the Corrib gas field..?

4_corrib.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Might be on a rig in the Corrib gas field..?

No, they are buoys for the Atlantic Marine Energy Test Site (AMETS).

Doubt they are platforms, just regular buoys. Similar to this: http://www.oceanenergyireland.ie/Content/Images/Spokes/TestFacility/GalwayBay.png

• Advertisement

If there's one thing I found impressive about Callum, it was how deep it was (in terms of minimum pressure) considering we're only into October.

https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1050814049477414915

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The pressure readings and gusts of the Storm passing up off the W coast. Strong winds in the early morning with big squally showers but but no damage here in Tralee or in the vicinity apart from a few trees and branches down . Very much a coastal event in the end. The front did not produce the projected wind speeds inland even though some high gusts reported in places. I think this is a lesson in that the computers might just struggle a bit with the effects of topography on advancing frontal wind and might be inclined to overstate the wind speeds in this kind of set up.The winds along the W coast were more in keeping with the forecast. The Storm produced plenty of lightning up along the W coast. Good to see the coastal defences working well in Galway, they were needed.

Quite wet here near Tralee had 20mm approx for event.

tempresult_yca6.gif

tempresult_dxc3.gif

s0PqzKj.png

https://twitter.com/oclarkephotos/status/1050798170299670529

https://twitter.com/Buailtin/status/1050701888734289920

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1050774343133712387

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1050647059898847232

https://twitter.com/wxcharts/status/1050461183566860288

https://twitter.com/patmcgrath/status/1050677777450467328

Must stick up my anemometer again tomorrow, systems failure last night :pac:

ybCOTCb.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Meteorite58 excellent summary of the event, hope you get your anemometer sorted!

Looking at that UK Met Office twitter animation it does look like possible stingjet the way the cloud dissipates to the southeast of the low centre. That area coincides with the buoy locations, so it's feasible that Belmullet lay just outside the core boundary.

Also, the mean 72 knots I showed was I think a 1-minute mean. If you look at each datapoint, the mean shoots up with the gusts, so it stands to reason that we're not talking about the standard 10-minute mean, which was more like 60 knots around that time taking the average of all the readings. An illustration of why the Saffir Simpson scale doesn't really apply to extratropical windstorms. Still, 60 gust 102 does seem like a very high gust factor for a marine location.

463692.PNG

• Advertisement

Storm Callum earlier today.

NASA

A7vYzSR.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Midnight, Valentia gusting 64 knots! stay safe in the South
    And yet in the daily reports Valentia's max gust on the 11th was 52 kts and on the 12th was 48 kts. Just shows the hourly reports are unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Storm Callum earlier today.

NASA

A7vYzSR.jpg?1

Completely non-technical comment, but beautiful image with the swirling system and the outlines of the islands below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Completely non-technical comment, but beautiful image with the swirling system and the outlines of the islands below.

:rolleyes:

Well now that a month has passed and the data is in (also time to actually make it), I thought I'd answer this question for you with an edited version of my chart showing the maximum wind gusts at selected Irish stations during several named storms. This one shows the highest 10-minute mean wind speeds at the same selected stations in that graph.

Darwin is king.

gG4SEUn.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well now that a month has passed and the data is in (also time to actually make it), I thought I'd answer this question for you with an edited version of my chart showing the maximum wind gusts at selected Irish stations during several named storms. This one shows the highest 10-minute mean wind speeds at the same selected stations in that graph.

Darwin is king.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Interesting to note. 3 speeds there at red warning level for Callum and 4 for Ali which both got orange in those areas. 5 for Opehlia which got one Nationwide.

And 13 red level mean speeds for Darwin. Just shows its size.

Advertisement