Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My garden Room Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's very hard to replicate cedar colour the wood itself seems to have a warmth to it.

I'm a big fan of shou sugi ban its looks brilliant when done well and its pretty hard to make a bags of it. Get yourself a roofing blow torch and a drill attachment to rake it put after.

Brilliant work altogether well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What's the story with the external finish, can you do what you want if it's at the back? If it was to the side would you need to match the house or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's very hard to replicate cedar colour the wood itself seems to have a warmth to it.

I think I will try to "redden" it a little and maybe yacht varnish it to get the look. The deal has the grain but a lot more knots I think, maybe thats the difference.

I'm a big fan of shou sugi ban its looks brilliant when done well and its pretty hard to make a bags of it.

wanna bet ? :D
    a drill attachment to rake it put after.

what does this mean ?

What's the story with the external finish, can you do what you want if it's at the back? If it was to the side would you need to match the house or what?

Back of my house - i'll do what I like thanks ! :pac:
    No rules I know of to specify the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

RobAMerc wrote: »
    rigtho - so I got cracking on the cladding this morning

I am a bit disappoointed that I wasnt skillful enough to be able to get the butt joint at the tops and over the doors so good I didnt need the mouldings - but hey.

Anyway - here is the outcome ...

50075900981_21c4f5dc41_b.jpg

Later I went and picked up some Cedar furniture stain to "Cerdarize" the cladding.

Sadly, I dont think its the colour I wanted - now I am fairly colour blind, so forgive me if I am wrong, but beneath is the colour I was going for ! I think I missed !

50075333973_4b268f27d0_b.jpg

3%20Great%20Reasons%20To%20Invest%20In%20A%20Quality%20Wooden%20Garden%20Room%20For%20Your%20Older%20Children.png?width=564&name=3%20Great%20Reasons%20To%20Invest%20In%20A%20Quality%20Wooden%20Garden%20Room%20For%20Your%20Older%20Children.png

This guy is a pro installer, He does the Cedar finish on all his jobs, He will be doing a video about how to get Cedar finish this week(He mentions this in yesterdays video) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChqWFbSX8STP_c8W0RVW1Xw/videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Mellor wrote: »
    If they were high and low they’d be less effective.
    Ideally they’d be in a perfect line, but offsetting by their depth allows them to be fixed easily

Thanks. Good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

what does this mean ?

After you burn it you rake out the burn't bits to get a nice finish. You can do it with a wire brush but on such long lengths your arms would be pulled off you. you can get a few different brushes that fit into a drill, nylon brushes and wire ones also. You could probably leave it raw also I know that's what they do on the roof of some of those log cabins out in the woods.

Here's a bit I did on a bike rack with cheap pine paneling.

50016466733_f4f807d936_w.jpg50050839471_67d9f90298_w.jpg

that looks superb !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He’s referring to the planning exemption that you’re availing of to build the room. There’s a clause about the finishes when its to the side of the house. Rear is do as you like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Is there a potential issue with having the horizontal cross members sp close to each other?
    Normally I'd see them spaced out higher and lower

None.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Fair enough, just curious because I am planning on building a shed myself.
    Mellor wrote: »
    He’s referring to the planning exemption that you’re availing of to build the room. There’s a clause about the finishes when its to the side of the house. Rear is do as you like though.
    Yeah exactly.

Yea, as far as i know there is no rules on finish if it cannot be seen from the front.

Post up your pics so.we can follow along, lots of useful hints and tips here.

Will someone please turn off this poxy rain so we can get back to work!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

dodzy wrote: »
    Will someone please turn off this poxy rain so we can get back to work!:mad:

I turned it off here in Galway, but might not be any good to you :p

Put the wrapping paper on. Just waiting on the EPDM kit which I ordered from the UK. Got a 10% discount for mentioning the Ali Dymock build on YouTube. €497 all in. Cladding pick up tomorrow. Running 2.5sq today for elec and lighting. Also get slabbing the internal insulation. Hopefully rain stays away! Day 8.5 today. Spend to date €3200 which includes the EPDM and the 2 x sets of French doors.

519412.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Put the wrapping paper on. Just waiting on the EPDM kit which I ordered from the UK. Got a 10% discount for mentioning the Ali Dymock build on YouTube. €497 all in. Cladding pick up tomorrow. Running 2.5sq today for elec and lighting. Also get slabbing the internal insulation. Hopefully rain stays away! Day 8.5 today. Spend to date €3200 which includes the EPDM and the 2 x sets of French doors.

519412.jpeg

Looks great, 400mm spacing on walls and roof? 6x2 for the roof?

[
    Looks great, 400mm spacing on walls and roof? 6x2 for the roof?

Yes sir, spot on. And all treated timber. Overkill for the intended purpose but you’d be saving little trimming it back. Unproductive day unfortunately. A lot of running around - Ballymount / baldoyle / mitre saw packed up (electrical fault on PCB which we fixed with a bypass thank f*** as she still has a bit to do, got sidetracked onto a garden set that arrived and needed to be assembled (keep war office happy) but will belt into it tomorrow !

519479.jpeg

519480.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Much to assembling it? Always thought they came pre assembled.

Much to assembling it? Always thought they came pre assembled.

Flat pack. I thought they came assembled too. 1 box. 30mins. Quality is decent enough. But once I see a shoddy vacuum packed nut/bolt & washer pack, I never expect much. Anyway.... I’ll Proper bate into it tomorrow !

I’ve a newfound respect for upc French door fitters. Jesus, a slog for the untrained. Anyway, doors up and all locking as they should - a lot of tweaking to get everything right. I’m sure a pro would have had it done in no time. Cladding has started. Now that’s a piece of piss thankfully!

519573.jpeg

• Advertisement

I’ve a newfound respect for upc French door fitters. Jesus, a slog for the untrained. Anyway, doors up and all locking as they should - a lot of tweaking to get everything right. I’m sure a pro would have had it done in no time. Cladding has started. Now that’s a piece of piss thankfully!

519573.jpeg

Looks great - I think ( as I am colourblind ) that thats the same colour as mine - I am going to have a crap ton left over as I didnt do 2 walls I had planned to.

If you ( or anyone else ) is looking for some ..... Its free to take away, with some J channel and starter strips.

Looks great - I think ( as I am colourblind ) that thats the same colour as mine - I am going to have a crap ton left over as I didnt do 2 walls I had planned to.

If you ( or anyone else ) is looking for some ..... Its free to take away, with some J channel and starter strips.

I would make use of it if you don't need it...

I would make use of it if you don't need it...

If it’s SAND I may well use it. DD there first of course 👍

If it’s SAND I may well use it. DD there first of course ðŸ‘

If it matches yours and you need it, go for it. I would use it, but will be placing an order, so not a big deal for me to order all that I need.

rigtho - give me a coupla days to finish up and I'll see whats left - but it should be a good bit

this is the colour ...

50059084847_7fd7f72c88_b.jpg

rigtho - give me a coupla days to finish up and I'll see whats left - but it should be a good bit

this is the colour ...
    50059084847_7fd7f72c88_b.jpg

Cheers lads, out of interest, any reason you used a different colour corner piece? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me.

reason = wife : originally she wanted Dark grey with white trims but he didnt have dark grey. I got white trims anyway.

Got another day at it yesterday and a few hrs today before night shift tonight....
    Starting to take shape. Roof arrived on Monday. Will have to wait until cladding and fascia/soffit is complete. This weekend will sort it.

520082.jpeg

520084.jpeg

520085.jpeg

520086.jpeg

520087.jpeg

Brilliant job man, well done! Your transition from soffit to cladding looks way better than mine.

• Advertisement

Roof done along with all the finishing trims and fascia/soffit fully done. Gutter tomorrow and electrics. A quick plug for rubber4roofs in the UK. Everything needed in one pack. Great piece of kit altogether520595.jpeg

520596.jpeg

Advertisement