Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Is there any way to get the Dexcom on Long term illness card?

You have to get your Endo to apply for one for you. If approved it will be added to your LTI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is there any way to get the Dexcom on Long term illness card?

I can give you the receiver if you can get the script for the sensors

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnnie T2

Hi all,

Was posting here a while back so thought i would update you.

I was diagnosed by my GP based on a bloodtest (which was being done to detect reason for ED)as having Type 2 after getting a 55 HBA1C and basically sent on my way until got my Endocrinology appointment in Beaumont yesterday. I am 31 and 72kgs & in shape so wasn't fitting a T2.

I had fresh bloods done for this and the Endo said i was not in the Diabetic range this time (i wasn't thinking to ask what the reading was). However being sent for more bloods to determine reasons for ED/and my low testosterone.
    Endo also said i had high blood pressure so wanted to get me a 24 hour monitor (said id receive letter in post about this, anyone any experience there)? and I'd have to get more bloods done and come back in 3 months.
    Had been really hoping to move this along so its disappointing to wait until new year now.

Endo asked had my GP not done further blood tests at time, which she had not - is this not very careless of the GP to outright tell me i had Type 2 diabetes? I feel I've been mishandled by two GPs now in terms of ED (first GP didn't even send for bloods gave me a load of pills) and this diabetes. I was also advised by GP and Diabetes Ireland to start taking Metformin but decided against it and was proven right..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

johnnie T2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was posting here a while back so thought i would update you.

I was diagnosed by my GP based on a bloodtest (which was being done to detect reason for ED)as having Type 2 after getting a 55 HBA1C and basically sent on my way until got my Endocrinology appointment in Beaumont yesterday. I am 31 and 72kgs & in shape so wasn't fitting a T2.

I had fresh bloods done for this and the Endo said i was not in the Diabetic range this time (i wasn't thinking to ask what the reading was). However being sent for more bloods to determine reasons for ED/and my low testosterone.
    Endo also said i had high blood pressure so wanted to get me a 24 hour monitor (said id receive letter in post about this, anyone any experience there)? and I'd have to get more bloods done and come back in 3 months.
    Had been really hoping to move this along so its disappointing to wait until new year now.

Endo asked had my GP not done further blood tests at time, which she had not - is this not very careless of the GP to outright tell me i had Type 2 diabetes? I feel I've been mishandled by two GPs now in terms of ED (first GP didn't even send for bloods gave me a load of pills) and this diabetes. I was also advised by GP and Diabetes Ireland to start taking Metformin but decided against it and was proven right..

some T2's can be skinny fat , sounds like if you looked at your diet you should be able to avoid going down the drugs route.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So after the recent highs of hitting 8 months insulin free and having another oral med dropped by the Endo :)

I've hit a bit of a wobble.
    For the 1st time since diagnosis, I'm encountering what would be classic diabetes mellitus symptoms and back to double digit morning BG's.
    Fairly constant urge to urinate, now given that this has only arisen since I've stopped taking empagliflozin it's more than likely related to a separate renal/urological issue I have ongoing at the moment.

That said, it doesn't matter how I try and spin it in my head...
    The feeling of inevitability around this gowl of a condition is hanging a little heavier over me today.
    I'll give the clinic a ring later and see if they want to look at the meds and I'll persevere with my mid life crisis :pac:
    Just a combo of an 8.4 this morning being my best morning BG in 3 weeks :( and starting the day in the bloody blackness of Irish winter caught up with me this morning ;)

Hope everyone is doing well and their pancreas' are kicking ass!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have currently got the Libre provided on prescription from the NHS and recently stumped up the cash for a Miao Miao to link it to my phone and smart watch as a CGM. Just decided to have a play with the Android Loop app, although it's not possible to actually loop with my pump as it's the wrong brand/ model. The app does seem to be pretty good with noticing when to make very minor tweaks to the basal settings on the pump based on the CGM readings that it gets, although I can see it getting old very quickly with me needing to manually change the settings every half hour. If I can manage to run the app for a couple of days without getting too annoyed it might give me a bit better insight into what tweaks to basals and boluses I might need to make.

If nothing else it shows what is technically possible from a few random people coding things together over the internet, even if getting it released as a properly licensed device is still years away.

I have an old Medtronic that is loop compatible if anyone wants to have a crack at it. It stopped recieving glucose signals so they sent me a new one and then I figured out what was wrong with it, so it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hi lads, short update.

Posted here a while back, at doc twice in 6 months early this year. BS 7.2 and 7.2 seemingly made me diabetic. Had read that statins can keep BS high so came off them and supplemented natural alternatives. Bloods done couple of weeks ago and Cholesterol is down a little, BS 6.3 fasting. I would do my bloods a couple of times a week and am seeing 5.3s regularly. I am taking ACV before meals, cut carbs by 70-80% lost 8kgs and feel much better.

I had read loads of research on how toxic statins are, and their connection to high BS, I'm sure it's a combination of all the above which is leading to decent BS readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

banie01 wrote: »
    So after the recent highs of hitting 8 months insulin free and having another oral med dropped by the Endo :)

I've hit a bit of a wobble.
    For the 1st time since diagnosis, I'm encountering what would be classic diabetes mellitus symptoms and back to double digit morning BG's.
    Fairly constant urge to urinate, now given that this has only arisen since I've stopped taking empagliflozin it's more than likely related to a separate renal/urological issue I have ongoing at the moment.

That said, it doesn't matter how I try and spin it in my head...
    The feeling of inevitability around this gowl of a condition is hanging a little heavier over me today.
    I'll give the clinic a ring later and see if they want to look at the meds and I'll persevere with my mid life crisis :pac:
    Just a combo of an 8.4 this morning being my best morning BG in 3 weeks :( and starting the day in the bloody blackness of Irish winter caught up with me this morning ;)

Hope everyone is doing well and their pancreas' are kicking ass!

Keep the head up Banie, you are my inspiration.

Fallen off the wagon a bit myself lately, freestyle Libre that i have for the is showing that my estimated HBA1c should be around 50 so still on track, just slowed up a bit. not getting out as much with the exercise between the weather and work

Don't despair Banie, it's probably only a blip sent to test your resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

banie01 wrote: »

I've hit a bit of a wobble....

what is your average diet now?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

silverwood wrote: »
    Hey all, my 13 year is a T1D (diagnosed just over 2 years ago). Things going well enough I suppose. I’m a big believer in what technology can and will bring to world of diabetes over the coming years.

One thing I’d love to get more involved in is OpenAPS/Looping. I have been researching loads over the past 6 months and feel ready to make a start. My boy is already on a Medtronic pump but unfortunately its not compatible with looping.

Anybody have any ideas where I could buy an older model Medtronic pump? I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to source one with no success. Any ideas?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies. Wish you all the best of luck with your diabeticking. Take care.

Hi all,

Just to update you on my post above from about 5 months ago. I managed to source an older Medtronic pump (from the US) that was compatible with Looping. I closed the loop for my son this week and it’s mind blowing how good it is.

The system gets a BG reading from the Dexcom CGM and automatically adjusts the basal settings in the pump to keep you in range. It’s uses a well tested algorithm. He’s just spent the past 24 hours 100% in range (between 4.0 and 8.0mmol).

It helps if you already have fairly accurate basal and bolus profiles before you start but it’s a glimpse into the future of diabetes. Tidepool are already working on an approved Looping app and Medtronic have confirmed that will make a compatible pump. Exciting times ahead!

If anyone is interested (and I really encourage you to learn more about it) you’ll find more details here:

https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/

silverharp wrote: »
    what is your average diet now?

Normal diet, balanced with more fibre and protein than carbohydrates.
    My diet has been back to being normal since finishing the Newcastle diet last April.

Just struggling with leaky liver, morning high more than I have been at any point over the last few years.

Particularly since I was taken off Jardiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

anybody got phimosis with type 2 ( tight foreskin and itchyness )

i havnt really been watching my levels since diagnosis , but really need to get my effing rear in gear and take control of this and not control of me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i havnt really been watching my levels since diagnosis , but really need to get my effing rear in gear and take control of this and not control of me

get yourself to a GP. there is no advice that anybody here can give you that will resolve that situation.

Keep the head up Banie, you are my inspiration.

Don't despair Banie, it's probably only a blip sent to test your resolve.

Thanks for that RL, having a rough ride at the moment with some other medical issues and those are knocking me about a little at the mo.
    Your kind words are a lovely lift.

get yourself to a GP. there is no advice that anybody here can give you that will resolve that situation.

There is a range of treatments depending on other issues from creams to circumcision. As said above, go to a GP, because this takes a medical diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ya in the early years of my diagnosis, when blood sugars were high. Always came with a bad dose of thrush also. Coulkd be the cause of the itchiness.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ya in the early years of my diagnosis, when blood sugars were high. Always came with a bad dose of thrush also. Coulkd be the cause of the itchiness.

exactly whats happening now

blunt honest , i havnt been watching my sugars at all

so i need to start , getting more active too etc hopefully it will fook off when i get my crap undercontrol

using canestan cream and its helping alot , bastard to the skin back over the head :pac::pac: would love to say its because of my massive unit but sadly not the case

so i need to start , getting more active too etc hopefully it will fook off when i get my crap undercontrol

using canestan cream and its helping alot , bastard to the skin back over the head :pac::pac: would love to say its because of my massive unit but sadly not the case

seriously go the GP. at the very least they will give you something more effective than canesten.

seriously go the GP. at the very least they will give you something more effective than canesten.

sorry dad

• Advertisement

sorry dad

the longer you leave it the worse it will get. and you do not want it to get worse. trust me.

Keep using the canestan. I know the feeling all too well, used to end up tearin, somewhat bursting the skin, trying to get the skin back too. It will heal up in time, and the tightness will go away. get the strongest canestan you can in the pharmacy.

Luckily i havent had that problem in a good few years now. Didn't go to a doctor myself, but that's not saying you shouldn't, if things are particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Same problem in the weeks preceding T1 diagnosis years ago. Was seriously wondering what shennanigans I might have been up to...

Keep using the canestan. I know the feeling all too well, used to end up tearin, somewhat bursting the skin, trying to get the skin back too. It will heal up in time, and the tightness will go away. get the strongest canestan you can in the pharmacy.

Luckily i havent had that problem in a good few years now. Didn't go to a doctor myself, but that's not saying you shouldn't, if things are particularly bad.

this is absolutely terrible advice and irresponsible. the poster needs to see a doctor.

this is absolutely terrible advice and irresponsible. the poster needs to see a doctor.

Is it? It's my experience. And has worked every time. You might note further down ( if you read that far down that is, before jumping in with the outrage) that while I didn't go to see a doctor, I wasn't advising the poster shouldn't go

This condition can be bloody insidious.

I was aware of neuropathy but really only in the sense of it likely affecting the peripheral nerves and as a potential complication of uncontrolled diabetes.

Yesterday I was in for a range of scans on some renal and scrotal pain issues that have been very restrictive and debilitating for the last 6 months.

The condition is being managed solely with pain relief at the moment.. Neuropathic and Opiod...
    6 months on opiod pain killers isn't fun. I am doing 5 on 2 off regime to try and ameliorate any dependence but I don't know if that will work.
    The best pain relief I have had to date was an anti-inflammatory called Keral via IV turns out unless I am under hospital inpatient care my GP nor Endo will prescribe me anti-inflammatory meds for home use.

Yesterday, I'm having an ultrasound when the consultant says oh, you know this issue may be an onset of diabetic neuropathy?

I really hope it isn't, the pain is excruciating and at least when I knew nothing about "central" nueropathic pain as a complication I was looking forward to scans, diagnosis and surgery.

Have a contrast CT scan to come and hopefully that will find a definitive cause other than bloody diabetes! ;)
    Then the surgeons can cut and shunt away to their hearts content!

Is it? It's my experience. And has worked every time. You might note further down ( if you read that far down that is, before jumping in with the outrage) that while I didn't go to see a doctor, I wasn't advising the poster shouldn't go

the only advice that should be given is go to a gp and go now. what worked for you may not work for them. I tried your way and ended up in much more serious trouble. I am speaking from hard earned experience when i tell them they need to go to a doctor now.

Getting rescreened for Diabetic Retinopathy. Only benefit was the Diabetic Nurse saying so long as they don't call you into the eye and ear it's not too bad. Have had the 3D scan , have to go back in a few weeks to get a 2nd one to see is it progressing. Hopefully I have the CGM back that the tight control will stop it dead in its tracks.

Also found out my hba1c dropped below 7 for the first time since I was a kid. Then 3 months without my CGM and it was upto 8.9.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Getting rescreened for Diabetic Retinopathy. Only benefit was the Diabetic Nurse saying so long as they don't call you into the eye and ear it's not too bad. Have had the 3D scan , have to go back in a few weeks to get a 2nd one to see is it progressing. Hopefully I have the CGM back that the tight control will stop it dead in its tracks.

Also found out my hba1c dropped below 7 for the first time since I was a kid. Then 3 months without my CGM and it was upto 8.9.

I was referred from the Diabetic Screening service to the Opthalmology team at my local hospital.
    Did 2yrs of 6monthly screens but it stayed stable, no deterioration and no treatment needed and back to the DRS on 1yr screens now.

Hope it goes just as well for you CC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Back for my check up this week, was switched from Levemir to Tresiba while that the pharmacy my Ezetrol has been replaced by Ezetimibe Teva at the behest of the dept of health (15 euro a pack difference I was told), also had my eyes photographed, two or three weeks before I know the results.

Ezetimibe Teva comes with instruction on the sticky name label to not take grapefruit juice - did some googling and the fruit acts to create buildup of the active ingredient which can cause things like muscle pain at the low end to kidney failure at the high.

My HBA1c is 7.1 which is okay, needless to say the consultant wants it a bit lower, the switch to Tresiba should help with ironing out the peaks of lows and highs.

Advertisement