Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I just called Chill and went over all the ploicy details and everything is ok. Pretty serious difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I just called Chill and went over all the ploicy details and everything is ok. Pretty serious difference in price.

So the Chill cover includes anything T1 related? Hospital, lost or stolen insulin etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have we finally reached the point of no pointy things?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/insulin-patch.html
    Insulin patches are currently an experimental form of insulin delivery that are at an early stage of research.

An insulin patch aims to painlessly deliver insulin through the skin similar to how transdermal patches such as nicotine patches or muscle pain relief patches work.

If insulin patches can be successfully developed, it would present the chance for people on insulin therapy to take insulin without needing to put needles or cannulas (the very thin tube that delivers insulin into the body from insulin pumps) into the body

There was a mention of this on Pat Kenny's radio show today before 10 AM I think it was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have we finally reached the point of no pointy things?

There was a mention of this on Pat Kenny's radio show today before 10 AM I think it was.

We work on it in my lab, nowhere near to market as they imply, typical soundbite to grab investors money but it is a runner. Looking at all the different researchers, it will be more suited to Type 2s than Type 1s IMO. Every lab has different delivery methods but the idea is the same. I can't actually say much more about it though.

Or they'll kill you? :D

Here is the company http://www.semma-tx.com/about now part of Vertex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I got a list of my blood results from over the course of the Atlantia trial in regards to Probiotics.
    When I started my HbA1c was 53 and Glucose of 6.3 and Insulin 4.85 over the course of the three months it went as follows
    HbA1c 49 - Glucose 5.9 Insulin 5.16
    48 - 7.1 - 6.31
    49 - 6.6 - 7.33
    48 - 6.1 - 8.33

then on the last visit
    HbA1c 37 ? Glucose 7.6 Insulin 7.33

Anyone any thoughts on why my HbA1c would have dropped by so much between the second last and last test, which were only 3 weeks apart?

I would not have been that good food wise from November onwards to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Wanton wrote: »
    So the Chill cover includes anything T1 related? Hospital, lost or stolen insulin etc?

I was reading the terms and conditions of the chill policy. It sounds like you have to give them in writing any pre-existing condition. My guess is that they will send it to an actuary to approve or not. Experience tells me it won’t, but there is leeway that it could be accepted. I’m sceptical though. Be brilliant if confirmed.

I got a list of my blood results from over the course of the Atlantia trial in regards to Probiotics.
    When I started my HbA1c was 53 and Glucose of 6.3 and Insulin 4.85 over the course of the three months it went as follows
    HbA1c 49 - Glucose 5.9 Insulin 5.16
    48 - 7.1 - 6.31
    49 - 6.6 - 7.33
    48 - 6.1 - 8.33

then on the last visit
    HbA1c 37 ? Glucose 7.6 Insulin 7.33

Anyone any thoughts on why my HbA1c would have dropped by so much between the second last and last test, which were only 3 weeks apart?

I would not have been that good food wise from November onwards to be honest

Its your average over 10 weeks but it is also not really an average and more a weighted mean where the most recent few weeks contribute more than the first few weeks, therefore if your bloods were 2mmol/L lower on average for the past three weeks, that would account for it. I read this in papers but I remember as a kid that if you were really good for the two weeks before a hospital appointment or really bad and kept having hypos you could drive your HbA1c down quite substantially compared to what you should have gotten :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

ddarcy wrote: »
    I was reading the terms and conditions of the chill policy. It sounds like you have to give them in writing any pre-existing condition. My guess is that they will send it to an actuary to approve or not. Experience tells me it won’t, but there is leeway that it could be accepted. I’m sceptical though. Be brilliant if confirmed.

I checked their site myself after and they actually have a button for completing a medical questionnaire. This allowed me to add my pre-existing condition, answer some questions re forced hospital visits, blood pressure, cholesterol and medication and at the end add a premium of about €25, which isn’t the worst.

But if you here anything else let me know. I am not travelling to mid march and will sort out my travel insurance end of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Does anyone get really down about their diabetes sometimes? Lately I have been so down about it, something that I cant seem to shake. It's almost like a low key anxiety that magnify sometimes.

At the moment it's quite flared, because my sugars are meh, could be better but also could be and have been much much worse.

Does it happen to anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

pew wrote: »
    Does anyone get really down about their diabetes sometimes? Lately I have been so down about it, something that I cant seem to shake. It's almost like a low key anxiety that magnify sometimes.

At the moment it's quite flared, because my sugars are meh, could be better but also could be and have been much much worse.

Does it happen to anyone else

Yes I'm same.

I got high bs levels this week and I'm feeling very down and defeated

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Yes I'm same.

I got high bs levels this week and I'm feeling very down and defeated

Yeah that's how I feel. Particularly I was put on ozempic it's to help loose weight which is not happening right now. But there's another long term illness being thrown into the mix which explains the lack of weight loss on top of conflicting targets from my gp, my endo and my diabetic nurse. So I'm at a loss this week.

Me too, one of the worst side effects of Diabetes for me is the realising your emotional state is not your emotional state sometimes. When I had really bad control it was awful. I think it is a similar side to the "Diabetes Blues" they always used to rabbit on about but I would find High Blood sugars killed my drive, ambition and opinion of the world, I lost years, friends, opportunities and will never know if it was me or my poor control (could also be the booze and young stupidity).

I get frustrated sometimes alright, it tends to be when my job gets in the way of control (physical outdoors stuff), I just remember that a few days of disciplined testing, injecting and eating will get me back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I get frustrated because I really want to excercise and do a particular martial art that I try to do. When I exercise my blood gets erratic and unpredictaqble. It could go high or I could have very strong hypos up to 48 hours later. This sets off over eating when I get an uncontrollable sugar craving when dealing with a hypo, especially night time hypos. I could eat a large bag of doritos and half a box of cereal in 10 minutes at 3am. This causes me to wake up high and lethargic with a headache and in no mood for exercising. This cycle goes on and on and I never have the drive to get on top of things. It also affects my drive to study and to get up early. I am on a mission to start my day at 5.30am so I can make the most of the morning but the ups and downs just have me so tired and lacking energy that this is a struggle that I am loosing at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I get frustrated because I really want to excercise and do a particular martial art that I try to do. When I exercise my blood gets erratic and unpredictaqble. It could go high or I could have very strong hypos up to 48 hours later. This sets off over eating when I get an uncontrollable sugar craving when dealing with a hypo, especially night time hypos. I could eat a large bag of doritos and half a box of cereal in 10 minutes at 3am. This causes me to wake up high and lethargic with a headache and in no mood for exercising. This cycle goes on and on and I never have the drive to get on top of things. It also affects my drive to study and to get up early. I am on a mission to start my day at 5.30am so I can make the most of the morning but the ups and downs just have me so tired and lacking energy that this is a struggle that I am loosing at the minute.

I sympathise 100%. I try to keep those little fun size bags of Haribo around. You're getting the required 15g of carbs, fast acting, and it's a lot easier to resist the craving to keep ploughing through the sugary stuff.
    That or a can of coke - discrete units where you know you're getting enough to treat the hypo but not necessarily go shooting through the other end of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Assuming you are in Ireland you are allowed, free, bottles of glucose juice, called Lift, available in any chemist, I always carry one around with me, they are ideal if you think you have low blood sugar.
    And on the martial arts front, yes, its funny, I do karate, swimming, jogging, cycling and gym, and with all these forms of exercise my blood sugar levels always drop but with karate it often seems to get higher, I cant understand it as its hard exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Combat sports also release large amounts of adrenaline.
    Any of the sports involving throws, striking and confrontation will trip the fight or flight response and dump adrenaline/epinephrine into the liver and the liver will release oodles of glucose to fuel fight or flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

banie01 wrote: »
    Combat sports also release large amounts of adrenaline.
    Any of the sports involving throws, striking and confrontation will trip the fight or flight response and dump adrenaline/epinephrine into the liver and the liver will release oodles of glucose to fuel fight or flight.

wow that is interesting, thanks for that!

Stress raises sugar levels which is basically a variation on that theme.

• Advertisement

I get the same in racing, if I don't contest the end, my bloods are fine, if I go for the sprint, bloods take off towards 20+ instantly.

Mine increase when i do weights or boxing.

But they will increase if i exercise on an empty stomach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My daughter does Taekwondo and it depends on the class how her bloods are affected - we can see a low hours later on. Cardio intensive classes send her low (delayed by a few hours) but the sparring ones she can be quite high afterwards (She always takes the pump off). We don't know in advance what the class is going to focus on so we always have to ask her how it was, so that we don't over correct a current high (esp. for the classes that have both cardio and sparring!)

The endo advised me a couple of years ago to always start a workout with resistance training (weights, etc.) - this releases a blast of adrenaline which increase the blood sugar levels and works against the decreasing effect caused by cardio stuff, which would be the bulk of what I'd do.

For activities like football, I always take a little extra carb beforehand, provided I'm not higher than normal to start off with. A banana seems to do the job just right.

Reminds me of an exercise talk I listened to a few years ago. All the T1 Diabetics talked about treating hypos by going for a sprint and redlining so they got a glucose dump out of their liver. The nurse giving the talk was horrified.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Reminds me of an exercise talk I listened to a few years ago. All the T1 Diabetics talked about treating hypos by going for a sprint and redlining so they got a glucose dump out of their liver. The nurse giving the talk was horrified.

I can see Xtreme Diabetes as the next fringe extreme sport to break into the mainstream...

There must be a slot on SkySports 8 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

CramCycle wrote: »

That happens me too often and drives the CGM bananas. I'd get low and not be able to eat something for a while, maybe 15 minutes.

Then take something like a glucose tablet or two, and my sugars would skyrocket to the 20s and stay there for 7 or 8 hours before coming back down and then flatlining when I assume the glucose reserves are being built up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement

Hba1c after Christmas some how managed to be 42. Delighted with myself!

Advertisement