Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

banie01 wrote: »
    Just on this, I spoke with one of the research leads today.

Their patient criteria for inclusion in the trial are quite narrow.
    Control via diet and exercise HbA1c of 6.5 to be considered.
    Control via Metformin only HbA1c between 7-8 will be considered.
    I'm no use to them as my own Diabetes is too well controlled :(

No insulin dependent T2 diabetes or multi drug patients, but if you want to contact them do.
    They really are looking hard for people to support the study, and if you are suitable, are selected and complete the 12 weeks you will receive €575 as well as helping further study into Diabetes.

Thanks Banie,
    I am meeting them next week, seems that I might fit in one or other of the above criteria. Not after the money but won't turn it down either :D

But very interested in seeing how my bloods vary over 24 hours and hopefully another boost to me trying to control my bloods and reducing the weight.

P.S. Thanks to Questionmark for posting the link in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

CramCycle wrote: »
    You get one when it is set up via your hospital, they normally get a rep in to walk through it with you. After that it is only the insertion/attachment things that are covered under LTI.

Mine fell out somewhere and I can't get a replacement :(

You might try going through the Medtronic office in Ireland to get a replacement. Essentially you’re not getting their sensors anymore (assume your not, but tell them that even if you still are) so they’re losing money. Seems like a once off easy case to get one.

I’ve used them for something else and they were actually quite helpful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ddarcy wrote: »
    You might try going through the Medtronic office in Ireland to get a replacement. Essentially you’re not getting their sensors anymore (assume your not, but tell them that even if you still are) so they’re losing money. Seems like a once off easy case to get one.

I’ve used them for something else and they were actually quite helpful.

Is it just the one in Hatch St. and ring up reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is it just the one in Hatch St. and ring up reception?

I honestly just sent an email through their website and got an email back with contact details to ring. Was a bit surprised by that but it worked. The Medtronic diabetes site also has a number in it as well, so that could work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joaomajesus

Hi all,

I'm a type 1 diabetic and I came to Ireland from Portugal.
    I'm currently looking to get the LTI and a GP.

Does any one know of a GP or diabetes doctor that also is specialized in low carb diets or that at least is not against it for diabetics?

I'm starting to see that there are some countries where the low carb is starting to gain popularity for treatment of every type of diabetes, but I'm unaware of what is the general consensus in Ireland. I couldn't find any reference to low carb on the Irish Diabetes association web site. But on the other hand for example the UK one has recommendations for low carb diets.

Can any one help?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

GP's in general seem to have a full patient list, so finding one who is on board with low carb will be difficult. Maybe hook up with a nutritionist..?

PS, Huge amount of videos on Youtube about low carb and diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joaomajesus

not yet wrote: »
    GP's in general seem to have a full patient list, so finding one who is on board with low carb will be difficult. Maybe hook up with a nutritionist..?

PS, Huge amount of videos on Youtube about low carb and diabetes.

Thanks for the reply.

I've been reading up on low carb and T1D for a few months now and I'm eating a low carb diet at the moment. My problem is that I use Humalog which is too fast for covering protein and it's been a hassle. I really wasn't confortable with approaching my doctor in Portugal about this because I got a bad reaction from her when a few years ago I did the Keto diet and told her.

I would also like to have someone I can go to who understands diabetes and preferably low carb that can monitor me and do blood tests etc.

Although is improving now, some months ago I started having strange symptoms that apparently where related to low thyroid. The tests showed that I had low T3. The rest where ok. This is normal in low carb diets but usually without the symptoms. I believe that it happened because I wasn't eating enough since I had no hunger at all.

So I'm really looking for some one to help me that has an open view and preferably an understanding of all these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Thanks for the reply.

Although is improving now, some months ago I started having strange symptoms that apparently where related to low thyroid. The tests showed that I had low T3. The rest where ok. This is normal in low carb diets but usually without the symptoms. I believe that it happened because I wasn't eating enough since I had no hunger at all.

So I'm really looking for some one to help me that has an open view and preferably an understanding of all these things.

Hiya, just to throw my experience in here. I am Type 2, diagnosed about 18 months ago. I had a chat with my doctor about the low carb diets and he had no real issue with it once i felt ok during it, but to go back to him immediately if i noticed anything off. I

was referred to a dietician to help with this and ive now been on the Keto diet for a few months and have found it great. The drop in carbs didnt cause any hypos and the weight has dropped. I'd recommend it but i'd do it alongside a dietician or nutritionist to ensure you get the full range of vitamins, minerals, etc.

Interesting point you made about low thyroid, ive just found ive an underactive one. Not sure if any link, Docs didnt think so.

https://www.diabetes.ie/atlantia-type-ii-diabetes-study/

Diabetes study for people in cork with type 2 , sounds pretty cool
    Just on this, I spoke with one of the research leads today.

Their patient criteria for inclusion in the trial are quite narrow.
    Control via diet and exercise HbA1c of 6.5 to be considered.
    Control via Metformin only HbA1c between 7-8 will be considered.
    I'm no use to them as my own Diabetes is too well controlled :(

No insulin dependent T2 diabetes or multi drug patients, but if you want to contact them do.
    They really are looking hard for people to support the study, and if you are suitable, are selected and complete the 12 weeks you will receive €575 as well as helping further study into Diabetes.
    Thanks Banie,
    I am meeting them next week, seems that I might fit in one or other of the above criteria. Not after the money but won't turn it down either :D

But very interested in seeing how my bloods vary over 24 hours and hopefully another boost to me trying to control my bloods and reducing the weight.

P.S. Thanks to Questionmark for posting the link in the first place.

I got accepted for the study, just crept into the criteria based on HbA1c of just 7.0
    They are looking for a lot more people to join, criteria is narrow.
    I have the CGM for nearly a week now, it is very interesting scanning at the different times of day and night and seeing what effects blood glucose etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Hormones With New Pump

I was on an Animas pump for the past few years. i got changed to a Medtronic pump last week and all is going well. There is a different insulin delivery rate between the two so I am finding a slight difference in the way my body reacts to the doses but I presume this will settle after a few days/weeks.

My question is, has anyone experienced a shift in hormones (not sure if this is the exact term). I found myself to be quite emotional and almost depressed over the last few days and even broke down crying on Sunday morning. My wife dident know what to do. I have a few things going on with work and family stuff at the minute that is on my mind but they did not affect me in this way until this weekend with no real catalysts happening over the weekend either.

The only thing I can think of that is different is my new pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Does anyone have a problem with Synjardy, a member of my family is on it, and has very little appetite,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hormones With New Pump

I was on an Animas pump for the past few years. i got changed to a Medtronic pump last week and all is going well. There is a different insulin delivery rate between the two so I am finding a slight difference in the way my body reacts to the doses but I presume this will settle after a few days/weeks.

My question is, has anyone experienced a shift in hormones (not sure if this is the exact term). I found myself to be quite emotional and almost depressed over the last few days and even broke down crying on Sunday morning. My wife dident know what to do. I have a few things going on with work and family stuff at the minute that is on my mind but they did not affect me in this way until this weekend with no real catalysts happening over the weekend either.

The only thing I can think of that is different is my new pump.

I'm on the Medtronic after the Animas pump and am finding little difference between the two. Has your insulin been changed as well? My prescription was changed to Novorapid instead of Humalog by mistake but didn't notice a difference tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had the flu jab on Tuesday, blood sugars messed up for a while even with careful monitoring but glad that I had the jab :) I have been using the Dexcom for a year at this stage - is a life changer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Hi all,

I am being tested for diabetes after some very concerning numbers when I was on steroids in hospital. I am very worried as I have had such a good diet for years and I am not overweight. I rarely drink (like twice a year) and have never smoked; however I do have one disease that is associated with diabetes and my GP said that with all my autoimmune conditions I would be at risk of LADA.

Anyhow, if I do have diabetes what happens next? Do I get a free monitor or do I have to pay for it myself? What about the strips? Also, if I am pre-diabetic rather than full-blown diabetic will I be given meds/a monitor? I am feeling pretty terrible with these high blood glucose numbers I can see on the monitor at the moment. An old endo of mine got me to get one years ago due my having one risk factor, but I never really used it until now and my numbers are pre-diabetic for sure. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

Galbin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am being tested for diabetes after some very concerning numbers when I was on steroids in hospital. I am very worried as I have had such a good diet for years and I am not overweight. I rarely drink (like twice a year) and have never smoked; however I do have one disease that is associated with diabetes and my GP said that with all my autoimmune conditions I would be at risk of LADA.

Anyhow, if I do have diabetes what happens next? Do I get a free monitor or do I have to pay for it myself? What about the strips? Also, if I am pre-diabetic rather than full-blown diabetic will I be given meds/a monitor? I am feeling pretty terrible with these high blood glucose numbers I can see on the monitor at the moment. An old endo of mine got me to get one years ago due my having one risk factor, but I never really used it until now and my numbers are pre-diabetic for sure. Thanks.

one step at a time try and stay calm easier said than done I know
    get your results back and then you know for sure what your dealing with

but to try and ans your questions if you are diagnosed then yes all your equipment and medicines if required are covered under the lti scheme

don't be too fast to go on medication if diagnosed talk to your doctor and discuss the possibility of allowing you to see if you can improve your numbers with diet only this of course is only me thinking out loud your doctor is best positioned to make that decision

and steroids can play havoc with your bg numbers I think theres even such a thing as steroid induced diabetes

best of luck hopefully your back here with good news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I had my best hba1c to date this week. They have gotten rid of the Glicazide and reduced my metaformin. I'm so happy. Its going to way I want it to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Thanks so much for your kind words, jimf. I really appreciate them. Do you know if I would get a monitor and strips if I am pre diabetic, or is it only diabetics that get that?

Just googled steroid induced diabetes. Sounds about right, but I have also had a lot of trouble with chronic infections for years and I am now wondering if there was an underlying issue anyhow.

Anyhow, I will know in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

Galbin wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your kind words, jimf. I really appreciate them. Do you know if I would get a monitor and strips if I am pre diabetic, or is it only diabetics that get that?

Just googled steroid induced diabetes. Sounds about right, but I have also had a lot of trouble with chronic infections for years and I am now wondering if there was an underlying issue anyhow.

Anyhow, I will know in a few weeks.

yes monitor and strips are issued if your readings are in what doctors describe pre range hba1c up to 47 if not on medication I think test strips are now limited to 100 pa unless otherwise specified by your doctor

personally I don't like the term prediabetic if our bg numbers are abnormal and outside the range of normal body control I think we should be diagnosed diabetic

me for instance I am in the pre range since 2006 last hba1c of 46 in june and still thank god not on any meds what may have saved me up to now is I lost over 3 st in weight when the doc gave me the bad news

diet to me is key but if I eat the wrong things up she goes

pew wrote: »
    I had my best hba1c to date this week. They have gotten rid of the Glicazide and reduced my metaformin. I'm so happy. Its going to way I want it to go.

That's great to hear Pew, well done.

• Advertisement

I got accepted for the study, just crept into the criteria based on HbA1c of just 7.0
    They are looking for a lot more people to join, criteria is narrow.
    I have the CGM for nearly a week now, it is very interesting scanning at the different times of day and night and seeing what effects blood glucose etc.

The study is going well, two weeks now. Great to be able to check bloods whenever I want, just by using my mobile.

If anyone is interested in joining the study, send me a PM and I will give you direct details, as they are looking for a lot of participants and they have asked me if I know of anyone else.

The study lasts for three months, ideally you would need to live near Cork, or within a couple of hours commute that you could do about 7 times over the three months, (Kerry, Tipp, Waterford, Clare, Limerick etc) the rest of it is done in your own time, nothing too hectic to be honest and you get your HbA1c every time you visit the clinic, plus paid at the end of the study.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've been taken off my Tresiba basal and put onto a different insulin called Xultophy.

It's a combo of of insulin degludec (a basal insulin) and liraglutide, a GLP-1 receptor agonist.

The Prof. in Sligo warned me i might be a "little nauseous" at first, but by fúck lads.

I have eaten two meals since Saturday. I have no appetite at all, and can't keep anything down. I've puked everything up that i've tried to eat. This morning when i woke up, I was in a Hypo state, so wolfed a bowl of Frosties into me, the only time i've had an appetitie since starting the insulin. But i'm putting that down to the hypo. So far, it's stayed down.

I think i'm deyhdrated as well, and my ketones are somewhat elevated (0.4mmol, i'd normally have 0.0 or 0.1mmol). If the nausea continues, i'm going to have to revert to the old Tresiba, i can't keep going on this new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was on a similar GLP-1 med in Victoza for a couple of years.

It was a strange 1 IMO, the 1st 6 weeks wil tritrating up to the full dose were very rough.
    But in fairness to my Endo, all that was explained before starting the med.
    Best described as fairly constant sea sickness.
    Then I had 2 yrs of no real side effects, and decent HbA1c.

Then out of the blue started suffering from fairly uncomfortable gastric issues, after a multitude of tests with no medical issue found, my GP and Endo took a shot on dropping the Victoza with near immediate elimination of the gastric issues.

Also found that when I was on it, whilst my appetite was greatly reduced I didn't actually drop much weight.
    Still don't understand how I ate less, moved more and stayed pretty much at equilibrium.

It can take quite a few weeks for the tolerance to GLP side effects to build up, and it can make a huge difference.
    Some people however find that the nausea and crappy appetite don't pass.

Im looking for a bit of quick advice. I came home from work sick at 5.15. My blood had been rising all day even with insulin. Have a really sick stomach and strange feeling in my head. Just done a keytone test and I am reading 5.1. I have never had more than 0.2 before. What is the best course of action here?

Sounds like your going into DKA. Take corrective insulin but be careful not to stack it is if it doesn't work don't double dose. If you have different insulin in the house ie an unopened one, use that but honestly, I'd be heading for a doctor, get someone else to drive you.

Was the illness from the high bloods or did the illness come first, if the latter, it's probably the cause of the DKA.

Im on a new pump and I think it may not have been delivering properly all day. I took a few units with a pen a few minutes ago, I'll see how that goes.

Thinking about it I felt strange all day. I had a feeling like I was totally starving from about 10am. Had to wait for lunch at 2.45. Felt really crap shortly after lunch. Left work early and went to bed, felt like vomiting but couldent get anything up. Felt really nauseous up till about an hour ago. Just thought about checking my keytones then. Dr said to monitor it over the next hour. I hate talking to gp's about diabetes, it is always like I am teaching them. Unfortunately the diabetes clinic does not have an out of hours service.

Im on a new pump and I think it may not have been delivering properly all day. I took a few units with a pen a few minutes ago, I'll see how that goes.

DKA hits really quickly with a pump compared to pens as you simply don't have the basal insulin there if anything goes wrong. If your anything like me, your going to feel like the Japanese rugby team are crushing your head into the ground as the recovery begins.

Keep an eye on the bloods as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭banie01

To round off my Newcastle Diet posts with some actual numbers.

Got my HbA1c back for the 1/5 back this morning and it came in and the grand total of....
    47!!(6.4 in old money)
    Insulin free since the 24/2 and whilst the glucometer readings were ok in my mind.
    That puts a number on that I can compare to my HbA1c from mid October 2018.
    That was a 49.(6.6)
    So not just did the 8weeks of Newcastle diet allow me to maintain previous BG it has improved!
    Along with entering month 3 of no basal insulin! :D

My GP is very interested in how it went, and how I managed on the 800cals a day.
    Let's be honest, it's not a regime for everyone.
    But, if 8weeks can make this kind of difference in an insulin dependent type 1.5/LADA patient, surely if someone is healthy enough to try without risk they should be supported.

My basal insulin requirement has gone from between 28 - 60 units of Lantus.
    To zero!
    I'm back to a normal diet now, still 14kg below my starting weight and the bloods and insulin requirement doesn't lie.

It has given me a huge sense of ownership of my illness. Rather than just upping my meds and accepting the progression.
    A bit of willpower, stubbornness and massive support from my wife and child have allowed me to feel in control of this part of my illness.

Just thought I'd revisit this post with an update on how my Diabetes journey is going.

I am still insulin free, I have a HbA1c due next week and my 1st Endo appointment since completing my run at the Newcastle diet.
    My BG levels are still great IMO, and my 7, 14, 30 and 90day numbers would seem to bare that out too.
    I'm really looking forward to getting the actual HbA1c and getting a comparison of the numbers after 6 months without Insulin.

I've returned to a normal diet, all things in moderation.
    I would say however that my actual appetite has reduced greatly since finishing the Diet.

Over the course of the diet I dropped a total of 16kg, and it's stayed off.
    Went as low as 94kg and am @95kg at the moment.

My Diabetes is better than it has been at any point since diagnosis.
    The diet itself was very hard slog, but I'd hope my outcome does demonstrate that when it comes to T2, T1.5 and LADA that a little determination can make huge differences.

492807.jpg

Advertisement