Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭foreverme

I'm the same. I placed 50's in the TCO comp and in the 400's for the CO Comp. It looks like there's a lot of us frustrated and disappointed with our results here. It doesn't make sense that so many of us have such a difference in our scores between the two comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rachaelworld

Boxer50 wrote: »
    I've done exactly what you said in the last Tco comp and this permanent comp, I was placed 34 in the tco's and 990 in the permanent. Totally frustrated at this stage! Fed up is an under statement

990 is really not bad, I am at nearly 2000 and I have previously been offered a CO position after interview a couple of years ago and have done two stints as TCO. The only reason the numbers are so high is because they need to do that as a lot of people will score within a small window of marks and so to be able to rank them they need to use higher numbers, there may only be a couple of points difference but several hundred people in that window. They will call hundreds of people to interview in a short space of time and then your OOM changes after interview, in my case a few years ago it went up significantly. So don't sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

It's as if people don't realize there's a period of mass unemployment happening right now and ergo more a huge amount of more applicants for this year than in quite a long time. People need to make a note of this when comparing OOM with previous campaigns

The deadline for applications for this campaign had ended by the time this whole pandemic kicked off so suggesting numbers applying increased for that reason doesn't seem right. The date for completion of stage one was extended for a few days but by that stage whoever applied , applied and whoever didn't, didn't.

Anyway we'll all just have to wait and see what happens. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CivilCybil

Less people will apply for the TCO as it's temporary. A lot of people who are in a job won't leave for a temporary position but would for something permanent.
    I'd imagine the numbers applying for a CO position would be a lot higher that a TCO position

No, I remember distinctly sharing the ad on my FB page about the campaign and it had around 10 days left before the deadline at that point, and I was specifically saying that it could be a good option given the pandemic for anyone who has job insecurity, so I think the number of applicants would have increase substantially. But I imagine not everyone will take a position if they still have a job, or have managed to get a new job in the private sector by the time they get a CO offer

• Advertisement

"The deadline for applications for this campaign had ended by the time this whole pandemic kicked off so suggesting numbers applying increased for that reason doesn't seem right. The date for completion of stage one was extended for a few days but by that stage whoever applied , applied and whoever didn't, didn't."

No, I remember distinctly sharing the ad on my FB page about the campaign and it had around 10 days left before the deadline at that point, and I was specifically saying that it could be a good option given the pandemic for anyone who has job insecurity, so I think the number of applicants would have increase substantially. But I imagine not everyone will take a position if they still have a job, or have managed to get a new job in the private sector by the time they get a CO offer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Think your right. Look at the first boards thread on 2020 competition. Dated 10/3/2, two days later country started to lockdown, with govt announcing closure of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Icbaby

"The deadline for applications for this campaign had ended by the time this whole pandemic kicked off so suggesting numbers applying increased for that reason doesn't seem right. The date for completion of stage one was extended for a few days but by that stage whoever applied , applied and whoever didn't, didn't."

The closing date was 24/03/20 I just checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

does your number change following interview? Can you go from like 200 to top 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

Anyone got a link or an idea of the compentency questions they could ask ..what would be the most frequently/popular ones ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Blanco100 wrote: »
    does your number change following interview? Can you go from like 200 to top 10?

Yep - discussed a few pages ago. Might be worth the read...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aes Triplex 94

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate number of CO posts that will be available in Dublin for this competition over the Year till May 2021?

Likewise, any idea on numbers likely to be available for Wicklow?

Does anyone know the total number of CO's appointed in Dublin arising from the 2018 CO Permanent Campaign? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boxer50

From what I gather the general consensus is that younger people were placed in the lower numbers and those who are some what more mature, we're placed higher up, like why would they ask at the end of the assessment your personal details like gender nationality and sexual orientation!!! Strange one, or are temps just there to cover hols and shorter working year??

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

That's probably for diversity monitoring ^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Guffy

From what I gather the general consensus is that younger people were placed in the lower numbers and those who are some what more mature, we're placed higher up, like why would they ask at the end of the assessment your personal details like gender nationality and sexual orientation!!! Strange one, or are temps just there to cover hols and shorter working year??

Nonsense it may appear that way because mature older people have more experience and could actually answer the questions in a better order but to say the oom is based on age or gender is ridiculous and may be an explanation in itself.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Guffy wrote: »
    Nonsense it may appear that way because mature older people have more experience and could actually answer the questions in a better order but to say the oom is based on age or gender is ridiculous and may be an explanation in itself.

Plus of all people the government can't discriminate on any of those grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭foreverme

Anybody get an interview date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

That’s completely untrue...goes to show why you should take everything you read on forums such as these as hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

That was an equality survey at the end, it was not part of the application.
    So if someone asks why do more women get jobs in the service they can pull those stats out and say more women applied and likewise with any other equality question.

Im pissed with my result too. Am CO but looking to move. Got CO with very low 100s. Was top 10 in last TCO and this time 800s. Not a chance now of moving. All the experience questions, well have lots. IT experience well Im already using their systems. Answered scenarios exactly as we would have to do it in our workplace. Did the lack of the application form make so much difference? Or was it ever being used to start with, the only place it seems used is at the interview. I know my manager hasnt got a clue about what i worked at before.
    Head down and muddle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wouldn't agree with you there.
    Am over 50 and started last year, first ever job in the CS.
    One thing older people have is life experiences, so have solid examples of work scenarios and dealing with others, and depending on your personality and confidence level, this can only help in interviews.
    Yes, temps are there to cover hols, SWY etc, that's why they are called Temporary staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

A few pointers from someone who joined as a CO from the 2016 campaign and has gone up a few grades since and lost count how many competitions I have taken part in between 2016 and now.

- The Civil Service does not discriminate on age. It is likely one of better employers for prospective candidates of all backgrounds including age, sex and disability status. If it did discriminate as a policy, it would not be a secret for long and would result in legal actions.

- The tests are equally unfair. They are something you have to do when applying for all (that I know of) grades below Assistant Secretary and everyone does them with some variations depending on grade and whether a campaign is via PAS or local HR (rare bar Revenue). They aren't perfect and in some cases hinder the progress of good people who just aren't suited to those kind of tests.

- However something has to be used and you can practice the tests, including the job situation questions which I personally found the most variation in my scores. I improved on that element by getting advice from others who previously did the tests and performed well. If that is not available to you, read the competencies for the role before doing the test and answer in line with the competencies for that grade.

- For those awaiting call up to interviews, I would leave prep until you get a date. Civil Service campaigns can/will be slow even if you have a good OOM. For CO interview, look at the CO competencies and have two short examples in STAR format (Google if you don't know it) for each competency. You won't get asked everything and don't get overly stressed about it.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

GarIT wrote: »
    There aren't any interviews taking place at the moment due to COVID-19

I know two people that had zoom interviews recently. They were some of the last ones from 2018 panel before the panel closed

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate number of CO posts that will be available in Dublin for this competition over the Year till May 2021?

Likewise, any idea on numbers likely to be available for Wicklow?

Does anyone know the total number of CO's appointed in Dublin arising from the 2018 CO Permanent Campaign? Thanks.

Does anyone have any information on the above? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭claregal1

Does anyone have any information on the above? Thanks.

If you check the 2018 forum , it might give you an idea of how many were called . Can't link on the phone . Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭furrybones

They can't do that, it's discriminatory treatment on the grounds of age and is contrary to the Employment Equality Act.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sheep Man 5000

Hi Jack,

I'm from Kerry. I scored in the top 20 back in the 2018 campaign for Kerry and this time round finished just within the top 200 of Kerry. Cant understand how it is marked and I did much the same as 2018. How did you do? Where are you ranked? I cant see myself getting called for interview especially now during this difficult time and the panel seems to be only for one year this time round for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Daffodil in Spring

How do they decide OOM if you have same online test result as someone else (several others even)?

claregal1 wrote: »
    If you check the 2018 forum , it might give you an idea of how many were called . Can't link on the phone . Hope this helps

Thanks. I tried that but I could not find much information about the final number of CO posts reached in Dublin for the 2018 Permanent CO competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KDBkev123

Lot of updates in this thread so I’ll ask here
    Anyone know what clerical work in immigration is like? And dress code? Have been told smart casual so is slacks and polo shirt ok?

• Advertisement

KDBkev123 wrote: »
    Lot of updates in this thread so I’ll ask here
    Anyone know what clerical work in immigration is like? And dress code? Have been told smart casual so is slacks and polo shirt ok?

You'll see everything from shirt and tie to tracksuit pants and football shirt, depending on the office. Slacks and polo shirt is perfectly fine. You can take it from there then when you've been in the office a while.

Advertisement