Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

IAG gone below £2 now. How does that strike ye hotshot share pickers?

Unfortunately I bought at £2.10, still hopeful for the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

outonawing wrote: »
    Unfortunately I bought at £2.10, still hopeful for the long term.

It is a good price and should be a good long term stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭Treppen

Treppen wrote: »
    This penny stock( Magnus ASX ) was mentioned on here a couple of years back and I decided to go long.

What I like:
    3 Li Gigafactories in the pipeline in Germany, Australia and US. Musk says he will need more than just his own gigafactories to serve his own needs , especially if he rolls out his solar panels for houses on a large scale.
    Graphite mine in Tanzania with seemingly good quality.

What I don't like is it's a roller coaster in the early stages.
    Tanzania can be politically unstable.

Anyhow, the stock has been in the doldrums for a while and is picking up steam again, but I can't find out why ( manipulation!!).

Still on the up from last time I posted.

Seems their gigafactory US partners C4V have developed a process for charging a car battery to 85% in 6 mins . So thats probably why they're on the up.
    www.moneymorning.com.au/20200724/magnis-energy-technologies-shares-bolt-higher-on-battery-breakthrough.html/amp
    C4V are also part of the Magnus consortium for Germany and Australia

... But like a fool I won't take my profits and wait till they reach the moon.

Galego wrote: »
    It is a good price and should be a good long term stock.

Looks like a rights issue on the way:

"The Group is evaluating the merits of a rights issue of up to €2.75 billion that would further strengthen IAG's balance sheet. No decision has been made as to whether or when to proceed with a rights issue."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Green&Red wrote: »
    Centrica going well again today, I think they’ve a lot more room to go

This morning was probably a good time to sell, for a nice profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Surely a good time to sink a few $$ into Intel? They don't have many bad days like this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

How come the Dollar is still strong? Considering nobody is visiting the state's I was expecting it to drop. Its holding out pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Surely a good time to sink a few $$ into Intel? They don't have many bad days like this.

In now! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

Limpy wrote: »
    How come the Dollar is still strong? Considering nobody is visiting the state's I was expecting it to drop. Its holding out pretty good.

My thinking is that it's strength is measured against other currencies. Since Euro has also been creating some money, it balances a little. Though the dollar has fallen alot since the start of this crisis.
    There is a level to which it would be unusual for it to fall just because others would be willing to buy it at a price higher than that so the floor is where the market puts it.
    Just my thinking, I dont know much about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Limpy wrote: »

Dollar short squeeze. 7 trillion of base money holds aloft 90 trillion in debt. The key problem for the federal reserve is what happens when this breaks.

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »

Couldn't resist myself 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Intel is an interesting one alright, they’ve got delays in their production, but it’s the chip that’s mainly required For 5g. So sounds like they’ve taken some short term pain for long term gain. 5g is still a few years away from taking effect, so while I definitely expect it to recover and then some, don’t expect it to recover in 2020

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Intel is an interesting one alright, they’ve got delays in their production, but it’s the chip that’s mainly required For 5g. So sounds like they’ve taken some short term pain for long term gain. 5g is still a few years away from taking effect, so while I definitely expect it to recover and then some, don’t expect it to recover in 2020

AMD seem to be applying huge pressure on Intel in laptop and PC chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Lads unless you understand what a process node is I wouldn't get into intel. They are stuck on 14nm for 5 years. 10nm node is basically useless and 7nm node is delayed. Meanwhile TSMC is pumping out 7nm on behalf of AMD. Intel is losing the processor war. They made record profit for the last quarter and the share price dips 15% meanwhile AMD and TSMC are skyrocketing. If the 7nm node fails like the 10nm node the companys fab division is in the bin.

Lads unless you understand what a process node is I wouldn't get into intel. They are stuck on 14nm for 5 years. 10nm node is basically useless and 7nm node is delayed. Meanwhile TSMC is pumping out 7nm on behalf of AMD. Intel is losing the processor war. They made record profit for the last quarter and the share price dips 15% meanwhile AMD and TSMC are skyrocketing. If the 7nm node fails like the 10nm node the companys fab division is in the bin.

I'd agree with most of what you said.
    On the other side I think there are some counter points worth considering. Of course, with a company as big as intel there is a huge scope for discussion.
    1: There 7nm tech is delayed which after business will resume as normal. They will lose some market share in this time for sure.
    2: They have 95%+ data center market share, and like most things, companies tend to keep going with what they already have. It's far more expensive to try have two competing techs in the one company when it comes to servicing costs.
    3: Outside the pure data centers, they have again 95%+ dominance in servers.
    4: Their PE ratio at the moment is below 10! for a company that is incredibly liquid. 35% below their 5 year average.
    5: They have fantastic margins. 45 Billion gross profit on a 78 billion revenue!! insane margins. After operating expenses and tax, 23 billion net. Thats just unbelievable.
    6: Consistently beating analyst estimates every quarter.
    7: If you were a company with already installed Intel tech.. would you be likely to switch to AMD right now and deal with the dual servicing contracts? Two techs are far harder to manage than one when done at scale.

AMD have done a fantastic job and i really hope for the industry sake they keep on doing it. As a gaming and tech enthusiast, I benefit.
    Intel are a fantastic company and very safe, they messed up big time by becoming lazy in their power and AMD advanced using their RnD better.
    There was also the silly decision in hindsight to try be a foundry rather than an advance tech RnD company. I dont know if they've rolled back on that.

While the moats are getting smaller in some regards, I think many companies will continue to purchase Intel, and cloud market is where the growth will come from.
    AMD currently have an advantage in gaming and consumer products though.

Intel has the resources to beat the 7nm hurdle.. embarrassing that they havent yet, and work towards the more important next gen. Each generation is becoming harder and harder and requiring far more resources.

Hard to compare them in many ways to AMD, since AMD is more a growth stock atm while Intel is a very well proven profitable company with wide position.

I need to further research it before concluding myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

True. Plus Apple has started the process of completely moving away from the X86 architecture and going full ARM even for laptops and desktop computers, in good part because Intel didn’t do enough to improve X86 while the shortcomings of ARM were being addressed. Microsoft have already dipped their toes in the water in terms ARM based PCs as well, although they have more of an issue with supporting legacy applications which will never run on ARM. But if Apple’s move proves successful this could trigger some sort of transition on the PC side (i.e. if Apple delivers ARM based laptops which perform as well as X86 based ones but with much lower power consumption and thermal dissipation, enabling quieter operations, longer battery life, and smaller form factors, Microsoft and PC manufacturers won’t stand idle very long waiting for Intel to bring X86 up to speed).

IMO this actually makes Intel a risky bet; they messed-up their R&D in past few years and have put some of their core cash cows at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Could the Leixlip plant be in danger over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Thargor wrote: »
    Could the Leixlip plant be in danger over this?

could still be there but run by a foundry....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

ShareShare wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of what you said.
    On the other side I think there are some counter points worth considering. Of course, with a company as big as intel there is a huge scope for discussion.
    1: There 7nm tech is delayed which after business will resume as normal. They will lose some market share in this time for sure.
    2: They have 95%+ data center market share, and like most things, companies tend to keep going with what they already have. It's far more expensive to try have two competing techs in the one company when it comes to servicing costs.
    3: Outside the pure data centers, they have again 95%+ dominance in servers.
    4: Their PE ratio at the moment is below 10! for a company that is incredibly liquid. 35% below their 5 year average.
    5: They have fantastic margins. 45 Billion gross profit on a 78 billion revenue!! insane margins. After operating expenses and tax, 23 billion net. Thats just unbelievable.
    6: Consistently beating analyst estimates every quarter.
    7: If you were a company with already installed Intel tech.. would you be likely to switch to AMD right now and deal with the dual servicing contracts? Two techs are far harder to manage than one when done at scale.

AMD have done a fantastic job and i really hope for the industry sake they keep on doing it. As a gaming and tech enthusiast, I benefit.
    Intel are a fantastic company and very safe, they messed up big time by becoming lazy in their power and AMD advanced using their RnD better.
    There was also the silly decision in hindsight to try be a foundry rather than an advance tech RnD company. I dont know if they've rolled back on that.

While the moats are getting smaller in some regards, I think many companies will continue to purchase Intel, and cloud market is where the growth will come from.
    AMD currently have an advantage in gaming and consumer products though.

Intel has the resources to beat the 7nm hurdle.. embarrassing that they havent yet, and work towards the more important next gen. Each generation is becoming harder and harder and requiring far more resources.

Hard to compare them in many ways to AMD, since AMD is more a growth stock atm while Intel is a very well proven profitable company with wide position.

I need to further research it before concluding myself.

All very good points. But they are in uncharted waters. Intel has never had two nodes fail one after the other. When Bob Swan was questioned on the delay yesterday he also said he was unhappy with the nodes performance (7nm). This is a mirror statement to brian Krzanich statement about the 10nm node which has essentially failed.

When companies are faced with a 4X performance increase with a 4X reduction in power usage with TSMC 5nm VS Intel's 14nm I can see a huge industry shift. This is if the 7nm node fails.

With regards to the foundry question no they are not operating as a foundry currently but they have not ruled it out for the current leixlip site going forward last I heard.

I too am really enjoying AMDs resurgence. Competition is great for the consumer. But as someone with a huge vested interest in intel I hope they can turn it around.

All very true.

I did alot more research today. I'm trying very hard to become better at researching and making informed decisions rather than reacting to the market.

Bob Swan, His interviews recently gave me a red flag. He was consistently avoiding discussing the problems about the tech and the node leap. He kept shilling out repetitive marketing jipperish about 'leadership products'..
    It felt like he was brainwashed into fear about confronting the big problem intel have. As you said, AMD/TSM are about to fab 5nm tech.. and intel is increasing 10nm to try compensate.
    They are a great company on the fundamentals. Amazing infact. However, I felt the management team at the moment isn't publicly addressing the right concerns. They seem perfect to keep the fundamentals strong if a new leadership team was focusing on the tech side of things. I think now, he would have been best left in his CFO position.

As the x86 market is already going to be under future threat to ARM, It would be amazing if intel had a very RnD and tech heavy focus. It'll be a long time before ARM hits the windows ecosystem much as everything is so fragmented it will take a long time for software to adapt.

I still need to do some more research, but atm
    +1: The fundamentals are fantastic.
    +2: They have competition but their position and size will make that far harder to dislodge certain profitable markets.
    +3: They have the funds for a long battle.. while AMD barely made a profit. RnD is expensive!

-4: Their management team DONT seem to be the right people for this current battle ahead.

As you said.. 2 failed node leaps.. thats just terrible from such an experienced and resourced company. Terrible leadership and quality assurance. Thats why apple dumped them.
    At 50 dollars.. its not the steal i was hoping for.

Would it be possible or any sense for Intel to acquire TSM? Would that help solve their 7nm fab process issues, give them advancements on the 5nm/3nm and simultaneously disrupt AMD competition from production? Would it allow them to buy their out of this mess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Had some Intel orders in since late Fri that hadn't been filled, now cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭kaymin

ShareShare wrote: »
    All very true.

I did alot more research today. I'm trying very hard to become better at researching and making informed decisions rather than reacting to the market.

Bob Swan, His interviews recently gave me a red flag. He was consistently avoiding discussing the problems about the tech and the node leap. He kept shilling out repetitive marketing jipperish about 'leadership products'..
    It felt like he was brainwashed into fear about confronting the big problem intel have. As you said, AMD/TSM are about to fab 5nm tech.. and intel is increasing 10nm to try compensate.
    They are a great company on the fundamentals. Amazing infact. However, I felt the management team at the moment isn't publicly addressing the right concerns. They seem perfect to keep the fundamentals strong if a new leadership team was focusing on the tech side of things. I think now, he would have been best left in his CFO position.

As the x86 market is already going to be under future threat to ARM, It would be amazing if intel had a very RnD and tech heavy focus. It'll be a long time before ARM hits the windows ecosystem much as everything is so fragmented it will take a long time for software to adapt.

I still need to do some more research, but atm
    +1: The fundamentals are fantastic.
    +2: They have competition but their position and size will make that far harder to dislodge certain profitable markets.
    +3: They have the funds for a long battle.. while AMD barely made a profit. RnD is expensive!

-4: Their management team DONT seem to be the right people for this current battle ahead.

As you said.. 2 failed node leaps.. thats just terrible from such an experienced and resourced company. Terrible leadership and quality assurance. Thats why apple dumped them.
    At 50 dollars.. its not the steal i was hoping for.

Would it be possible or any sense for Intel to acquire TSM? Would that help solve their 7nm fab process issues, give them advancements on the 5nm/3nm and simultaneously disrupt AMD competition from production? Would it allow them to buy their out of this mess?

I can't see how intel could buy TSM due to competition concerns. Don't AMD get all their chips from TSM. It's this cut throat competition that has driven industry advancements so far and will drive them much further into the future.

With regards to the foundry question no they are not operating as a foundry currently but they have not ruled it out for the current leixlip site going forward last I heard.
    from my sources at the site this is highly likely, especially for the new building
    speculation already that they are in talks with TSMC about running the new process for them

When TSMC take over, they do it on a shoe string...lots of cost cutting
    PM's practically go out the window, shift allowances cut, certain backbone facilities potentially reduced

That place in Leixlip wont know what hit it if it happens
    kaymin wrote: »
    Don't AMD get all their chips from TSM. .

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    from my sources at the site this is highly likely, especially for the new building
    speculation already that they are in talks with TSMC about running the new process for them

What kinda of source do you have? I'd be hugely surprised if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

article on intel , not looking great for them https://outline.com/MVzPF6

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Some of the money exiting stock markets is moving to cryptocurrencies right now. And it makes sense as with stocks pumped to the limits and tons of money being printed by central banks there's nowhere reasonably to move money into. A digital gold or safe haven as considered by some.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    What kinda of source do you have? I'd be hugely surprised if this is the case.

I've been involved on that site for over 20yrs and know a lot of people there in fairly knowlegable positions

I'm not there now, had my fill of the place and seen so many changes there.

some of the equipment that was bought for the early facilities startup is still sitting in storage, it should have been on site by Feb

That being said, they could be wrong but I'm inclined to believe them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

What do people think of the cloud computing company Snowflake? They gearing up for an IPO this summer (Well, Autumn now)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any predictions for BTCs latest attempt at 10k?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Any predictions for BTCs latest attempt at 10k?

Small thing called a CME gap could give it a yank back

Advertisement