Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

fang wheels starting to come off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Can anyone tell me the easiest and cheapest way to buy shares in a FTSE AIM all share index company?
    (a one off purchase)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jams100

Kilboor wrote: »
    Netflix down 11.5% after hours.

Missed earnings bigly

I feel that netflix and spotify to a lesser extent were and are overvalued. Unless they branch into a new segment how can they be a significant growth company. Sure have spotify ever even made a profit?
    I would personally rather invest in the likes of Shell where your looking at some growth in the next year or two along with a decent dividend even at their reduced rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,097 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I had a limit order on Degiro for a stock on the LSE, it was for 300 stocks at 130p. I just noticed that it filled 4 of them, with 296 outstanding, costing me €4 in fees to get ~€5 in shares - i thought the limit orders had to be completed in full and would not be done partially? Don't remember this happening before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

retalivity wrote: »
    I had a limit order on Degiro for a stock on the LSE, it was for 300 stocks at 130p. I just noticed that it filled 4 of them, with 296 outstanding, costing me €4 in fees to get ~€5 in shares - i thought the limit orders had to be completed in full and would not be done partially? Don't remember this happening before...

This type of thing has happened me several times (I tend to trade in Shares that are not very liquid). If you leave the order in place Degiro will try to fill it eventually ... you will only be charged Degiro commission once. (Think the £4 LSE charge is a once per Order as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jams100 wrote: »
    I feel that netflix and spotify to a lesser extent were and are overvalued. Unless they branch into a new segment how can they be a significant growth company. Sure have spotify ever even made a profit?
    I would personally rather invest in the likes of Shell where your looking at some growth in the next year or two along with a decent dividend even at their reduced rate.
    Spotify have changed model in the past 6 months, they're going after Podcasts now rather than music so I can see why their value jumped.

Netflix I agree, they got a huge user bump during lockdown, but what happens now. If they make loads of great content, and those new subscribers watch even more Netflix, they don't make any more money on that. They only make money when a new subscriber signs up. And if you haven't signed up when you were stuck in your house for 3 months, what's going to make you sign up now? They've a great recurring revenue base, but I can't see subscriber numbers even increasing for the rest of the year, let alone increasing at a big rate.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Spotify have changed model in the past 6 months, they're going after Podcasts now rather than music so I can see why their value jumped.

Netflix I agree, they got a huge user bump during lockdown, but what happens now. If they make loads of great content, and those new subscribers watch even more Netflix, they don't make any more money on that. They only make money when a new subscriber signs up. And if you haven't signed up when you were stuck in your house for 3 months, what's going to make you sign up now? They've a great recurring revenue base, but I can't see subscriber numbers even increasing for the rest of the year, let alone increasing at a big rate.

If you like podcasts check out iheartMedia $ihrt its a recent enough IPO i'm invested for 1-2 years want to see where it goes maybe spotify will buy them :D.

Where do they make their money off these podcasts? They've paid a massive amount of money to get the likes of Joe Rogan I dont see how they can make much profit off this. Maybe they'll break even on these deals. Again I just dont see significant growth with Spotify and netflix.

Where do they make their money off these podcasts? They've paid a massive amount of money to get the likes of Joe Rogan I dont see how they can make much profit off this. Maybe they'll break even on these deals. Again I just dont see significant growth with Spotify and netflix.
    They bought a few companies that record software, so they have income from virtually every podcast created every week, which seems to increase every week.

On the people they've signed up, they're the only place you can listen to Joe Rogan and Michelle Obama podcast now, so they'll get subscribers due to being the only place to listen to them (which have massive followings).

And finally, at the moment, Apple podcasts have ads specific to the podcast, so when I'm listening to Football Weekly, I get ads for English sports stores etc. Spotify want to change that to listener-specific, whereby the ads are tailored to the listener so I get ads for Irish sports stores. That's a big leap. Advertising in Podcasts is going to be a big thing IMO. People record and fast forward TV ads, have them on in the background, billboards are passive. People listening to podcasts tend to be actively listening, and it's trickier to fast forward. I reckon it'll be a big growth area for them

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

Wheels coming off some EV with he likes of Nio, hope people cashed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Kamu wrote: »

its at times like this when you feel it in the pit of your stomach that you should have cashed in & you didnt, that its now time to scoop them up on the cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Kamu wrote: »

Anybody who doesn't cash in on Chinese stocks when they spike is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kilboor wrote: »
    Anybody who doesn't cash in on Chinese meme stocks when they spike is asking for trouble.
    Muuuch better. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    its at times like this when you feel it in the pit of your stomach that you should have cashed in & you didnt, that its now time to scoop them up on the cheap

It's hard to know if NIO are cheap though, they were at 1.50 less than a year ago. I caught that falling knife once, I'm reluctant to do so again and won't be rushing into NIO again just yet.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    It's hard to know if NIO are cheap though, they were at 1.50 less than a year ago. I caught that falling knife once, I'm reluctant to do so again and won't be rushing into NIO again just yet.

Nkla down 17% (After hours) let the whole sector breath for a while, telsa got earnings next wednesday. 50/50 could go anyway

ah its not that just seen this
    Nikola Corporation files prospectus for issuance of up to 23,890,000 shares of common stock issuable upon exercise of warrants and for the offering and sale of up to 53,390,000 shares of common stock by selling securityholders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

hottipper wrote: »
    Nkla down 17% (After hours) let the whole sector breath for a while, telsa got earnings next wednesday. 50/50 could go anyway

ah its not that just seen this
    Nikola Corporation files prospectus for issuance of up to 23,890,000 shares of common stock issuable upon exercise of warrants and for the offering and sale of up to 53,390,000 shares of common stock by selling securityholders

Without a fudge can’t see Tesla’s results being great, all these price cuts were for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thoughts on Pton (peloton crowd) please? Many analysts have them as a buy, they're the leader in their market.
    Cheers,
    Pa

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thoughts on Pton (peloton crowd) please? Many analysts have them as a buy, they're the leader in their market.
    Cheers,
    Pa

They have a good marketing department.
    Comcast/cnbc are shareholders so don't mind what they say.
    I guess with gyms being out of action they got an increase but it had a good run already. Possible scalp trades set ups this week (along with alot of tech stocks)
    but for longer term investments id rather see it come back to the 37$ - 47$ area. thats my 2 cents

Yeah I own PTON since about $25 and as hottipper said, it's run a long way very quickly. I took a free trial of their non-bike option during lockdown and I'm not convinced that it has much of a future, was pretty rubbish. So they're relying on bikes for now. The product is very slick, and I see they're expanding into a cheaper model now which is great.

My big question about it now is who the future customers are. I like spinning, do it semi-regularly, but prefer to get out of my house and going to the gym. With lockdown that wasn't possible, but my house is too small to put an exercise bike in. So eventually they're going to run out of customers.

The recurring model from existing customers is great, but there's definitely going to be a slowdown in the customer growth.

For share price, wouldn't be surprised if it's double in 3 years time, but feel it could also be flat for the next 6/9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Anyone with any thoughts on EPD as an investment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Wasn't really planning on buying anything these days but British American Tobacco is yielding 7.8% at current price. One of only a handful of FTSE companies which has increased its dividend for at least 10 consecutive years and seems like it's a value buy at the moment potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭in2dark

robman60 wrote: »
    Wasn't really planning on buying anything these days but British American Tobacco is yielding 7.8% at current price. One of only a handful of FTSE companies which has increased its dividend for at least 10 consecutive years and seems like it's a value buy at the moment potentially.

Good find but the bloody tax on dividends is driving me crazy.... To pay approx 50% back to taxman?

My Portfolio and current daily performance:
    Fastly -12%
    GAN -11%
    Docusign -10%
    Peleton -10%
    Livongo -10%
    Datadog -9%
    Crowdstrike -8%
    Draftkings -8%
    Square -7%
    Shopify -6%
    Pintrest -6%
    Trade Desk -6%
    Twilio -6%
    Sea -6%
    Atlassian -5%
    Spotify -5%
    Today is basically the inverse of this, replace the - with a + :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Today is basically the inverse of this, replace the - with a + :)

https://moneyprintergobrrr.com/

9 of my 27 stocks were 8% or more higher today - that's not normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

IBM up 7% after hours on positive earnings.

9 of my 27 stocks were 8% or more higher today - that's not normal

Crazy.
    Amazon up 8%, I presumed they released Q2 results but no just this insane market atm basically.
    Starting to think that their results can only dissapoint given how much they've risen. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Crazy.
    Amazon up 8%, I presumed they released Q2 results but no just this insane market atm basically.
    Starting to think that their results can only dissapoint given how much they've risen. Thoughts?
    Bricks and mortar is literally dying before our eyes on a daily basis.

IBM up 7% after hours on positive earnings.

Have a feeling everyone will beat estimates this month, estimates were revised down far too much for COVID imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

in2dark wrote: »
    Good find but the bloody tax on dividends is driving me crazy.... To pay approx 50% back to taxman?

I should have added that I'm living in the UK now. ISA territory. It's a joke the way things are in Ireland. Seeing it both on income and investments I'd be inclined to stay over here while I'm young and trying to build some wealth, may as well forget it back home.

Advertisement