Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

in2dark wrote: »
    Good find but the bloody tax on dividends is driving me crazy.... To pay approx 50% back to taxman?

50% tax on dividends.
    33% tax on capital gains.

And..

12.5% tax on corporate earnings.

Stay away from dividend paying stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

voluntary wrote: »
    50% tax on dividends.

And..

What's the bit in bold? Do normal users have to pay that?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭in2dark

voluntary wrote: »
    50% tax on dividends.

And..

Exactly, im very concervative long term type of investor who want to keep on buying blue chip companies and i struggle to find any that pay no dividends and have the above characteristics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think I'm somewhat okay with the rates, it's the CGT limit I'd like lifted, that seems to be where we're most behind most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Looks like a Green day on the markets today .... ideally, I want to get out of my positions and go to cash, but can't bring myself to sell just yet, when the prices are still going up. (I'm like a junkie....just one more hit....)...anybody else in a similar situation ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭riddles

Any opinions on where Livongo can go too?

riddles wrote: »
    Any opinions on where Livongo can go too?

Very high, was thinking of adding to it this week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Looks like a Green day on the markets today .... ideally, I want to get out of my positions and go to cash, but can't bring myself to sell just yet, when the prices are still going up. (I'm like a junkie....just one more hit....)...anybody else in a similar situation ?

If your bearish that the market is gonna go down in the next month or whatever, and you will be withdrawing the money anyways for something else, then consider it like a bad relationship that you need to get out of ha, no ideal time to exit, you just need to man the hell up, hit that sell button and walk away and don't obsess about it across the next week, like you shouldn't obsess about your ex haha.

If however you're simply looking at taking profit on the way up, an easier way to do it is to close out half of your position, and let the rest keep on running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

timetogo1 wrote: »
    What's the bit in bold? Do normal users have to pay that?

No, it is only for companies based in ireland (and actually as per the Apple/EU court case most multinational companies are paying a lot less than at this figure in practice).

In summary, Ireland is choosing to charge very low tax to corporations in order to attract them here, but our government still needs money. This partly explains our rather high income tax for middle earners vs other countries (which is what dividends taxation is high), as well as the disadvantageous CGT rates and rules we have.

Bob24 wrote: »
    No, it is only for companies based in ireland (and actually as per the Apple/EU court case most multinational companies are paying a lot less than at this figure in practice).

Grand. I was just wondering why it was listed with other taxes that we have to pay for dividends. Got me worried for a sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Can anyone recommend a website or tool for portfolio analysis - ideally at the cheaper end?

I use DeGiro for investing, but I'd like to be able to see performance for my full portfolio over particular periods, and access some information on the stock beyond the trading details. I've had a look at Google Finance and it provided more than DeGiro does, but still not great on reporting at portfolio level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

in2dark wrote: »
    Exactly, im very concervative long term type of investor who want to keep on buying blue chip companies and i struggle to find any that pay no dividends and have the above characteristics

What about shares that give you the option of DRIP rather then dividends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Can anyone recommend a website or tool for portfolio analysis - ideally at the cheaper end?

I use DeGiro for investing, but I'd like to be able to see performance for my full portfolio over particular periods, and access some information on the stock beyond the trading details. I've had a look at Google Finance and it provided more than DeGiro does, but still not great on reporting at portfolio level.

SimplyWallSt or Investing.com both have free trials I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭in2dark

neris wrote: »
    What about shares that give you the option of DRIP rather then dividends

Thanks for that. Can you please explain or give an example so i research?

I used Wallmine for a while which gave more reporting than Degiro or Yahoo Finance. I've kinda abandoned it now in favour of some Spredsheets I manage myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I used Wallmine for a while which gave more reporting than Degiro or Yahoo Finance. I've kinda abandoned it now in favour of some Spredsheets I manage myself.

I'd love to see degiro do alot more with data analysis for you, like graphs of daily portfolio performance, total lodgements /withdrawals, individual share accumulations/performance across time, dividend payments etc etc. I'm sure someone has already wrote an excel macro that you can export csv data from your degiro straight into already to do the most of this.

Shedite27 wrote: »

Same for me. The newer versions of Excel will pull some stock information automatically (Price, P/E, %change, ticker symbol, volume) etc. etc.

Unfortunately it won't do historical. Google Sheets will do historical but I found it a bit hit or miss (a lot of tickers randomly showing as N/A which would screw up my calculations).

So I use Excel 99% of the time and have a couple of Google Sheets I can pop tickers / lists into to get historical info.

One other advantage of the sheets over Degiro is that the stock price updates quicker than on Degiro for Nasdaq (no 15 minute delay).

For Portfolios I just give my shares a category (A,B,C etc.) so it's easy to filter by all As or Bs to see particular categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Tellurian Inc

Final call

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Mach 3 wrote: »
    20283.jpeg

None of the above tech was around at the end of 2009.
    As above - tech buybacks 2019 ~ 34%

I'd say if you bought these stocks(dollar cost average)all year, you'd probably be looking at taking some profits and enjoy the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Final call

To give you your dues, you made 2 mentions of this company with minimum context and it's up 44% today.

Got in at 1.05 shortly after you posted.

Edit, its still going now at 57%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Scrunch

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Google Sheets will do historical but I found it a bit hit or miss (a lot of tickers randomly showing as N/A which would screw up my calculations).

Google Sheets often cannot find Non-US listed stock. For these it is necessary to specify the exchange as - Exchange:Ticker. Problem is it is difficult to know the stock exchange code. For example LSE is not correct for London, it is LON.

I was getting all sorts of listings for International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG) on Madrid. Turns out it is BME:IAG. Could not figure that out until I found this page:
    https://www.google.com/googlefinance/disclaimer/

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Found this cool website for research https://docoh.com
    Has a really nice earnings calendar (https://docoh.com/earnings-calendar) but also pulls alot of interesting information together in a nice way and its free :D

In a similar vein this site is good for earnings info.

https://earningswhispers.com/calendar

United Airlines dropped like a stone from opening (after being up in After Hours) - presumably because people take Trump seriously :rolleyes: But going up like a rocket, any reason for the turn around?

Rocket may be a bit strong... but climbing steadily into the Green. Still negative on the stock for the day because of currency :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

got into SilverCrest $SILV recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    got into SilverCrest $SILV recently

For a sec I thought Silvercrest, the Lidl's sub brand :D...

have been watching few metal related companies for a couple of months and they like Silver/Gold are trading at multi-year highs...

I have enough of those in the house already :)

have been watching few metal related companies for a couple of months and they like Silver/Gold are trading at multi-year highs...

put fortuna $FSM on your watch list aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    put fortuna $FSM on your watch list aswell

have them ESK, NXE, AA, ARNC etc. but wasn't brave enough to buy them back in March/April when i started following them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jams100

Looking at moving into some green (renewable) energy stocks. Any particular companies people recommend me investigating?
    Currently only have shell in energy sector, looking to add to them as a long term investment

Advertisement