Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 / 2019 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

gens-8-0-240.png

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just read MT's daily forecast there. Not good for snow lovers. We might get a cold shot at the weekend but it's "modified cold" so basically useless and may give snow on hills (which equates to no snow for 99% of the population). Very disappointing as we're entering the final third of the winter. After all the hyperbole about a cold winter, SSW, very low sunspots, this winter is shaping up to rank amongst the horror winters of the early 00's.........

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

ECM 12Zbrings us out to the end of January with no real cold. GFS far better in far FI. Next month hopefully :)

#FreezingFeb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Marengo wrote: »
    ECM 12Zbrings us out to the end of January with no real cold. GFS far better in far FI. Next month hopefully :)

#FreezingFeb

501051WNiiFIoHL.jpg.jpg?1423018214

I feel like these guys watching the models lately and listening to the experts. There is no sign of that lobe off vortex over Canada shifting any time soon. We also have been let down by the pattern in the pacific.
    So I can't share the optimism you have regarding a freezing Februrary:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I feel like these guys watching the models lately and listening to the experts. There is no sign of that lobe off vortex over Canada shifting any time soon. We also have been let down by the pattern in the pacific.
    So I can't share the optimism you have regarding a freezing Februrary:(

Not looking good at all for any easterly based cold over the next 2 weeks, looks like we are in a cold zonal mostly north-westerlies pattern taking us to the end of the 1st week of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'll take it.

anim_odi1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

It seems to me that the models have been constantly showing snowy weather at t+240 for the last week. Or am I seeing things?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

arctictree wrote: »
    It seems to me that the models have been constantly showing snowy weather at t+240 for the last week. Or am I seeing things?!

For the last two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

arctictree wrote: »

I think you might be, theyr'e continuously showing snow at T+216...…......why? Well that will take us to the 1sr April, at which stage, we will be able to confirm that this ranks as one of the greatest horror winters ever (if you're a coldie).....

D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The signals towards blocking in February are looking good. First week of February could have a cold spell followed by slightly milder conditions for second week of February. It's possible that there could be another cold spell in the second half of February. As always caution very much advised but looks like we will still have 4 interesting weeks of winter model watching to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I admire your optimism Gonzo, I've been following the charts quite closely since late December and it's been abysmal watching the opportunities for cold present themselves in FI and then disappear once within the reliable range. There were epic charts on show last Friday only to be watered down completely over the weekend with the ECM leading the way. Hopefully we will get something to cheer about in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gonzo wrote: »
    As always caution very much advised but looks like we will still have 4 interesting weeks of winter model watching torture to come.

Fixed up your post there, it had a typo. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

The models have been shown proper cold at day 10 since the 4th of January or so, though it seems longer.

Hopefully they'll eventually get it right. I think we have as good a chance for a good cold spell with east, north easterlies as zonal.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The signals towards blocking in February are looking good. First week of February could have a cold spell followed by slightly milder conditions for second week of February. It's possible that there could be another cold spell in the second half of February. As always caution very much advised but looks like we will still have 4 interesting weeks of winter model watching to come.

This is the median among the ECM ensemble suite at day 10

EDM1-240.GIF?22-0

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Greenland High Incoming...

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/charts/gfs/18_156_mslp500.png?cb=334

first week of Feb we'll be in the freezer if that progresses

Step away from the controls Gonzo

gfs-0-234.png?18

Low Pressure over Northern Italy, even closer to the dream scenario...

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/charts/gfs/18_234_mslp850.png?cb=767

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

On the very day Kermit returns....

We get this!

EAAED355-E29-E-4-D02-9684-5243-CCB4-ECFD.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

here we go again...ukmintemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

maxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

prectypeuktopo.png

Beasterly?

pad199207 wrote: »

We get this!

76fe007c16545a8037d5bf8d4276cf1d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

pad199207 wrote: »

We get this!

And to think, some poster said yesterday that Kermit cant make it snow!!

Eh hello.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Beasterly?

It's a textbook perfect northeasterly, longest possible snow fetch streamer airport closer snow train producer maxing out its snowfall in the Dublin east kildare wicklow east carlow north wexford zone Dec 2010 style

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

It's a pub run. I REFUSE to get excited... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Stop getting excited these runs will be pushed out to the end of February, which has what’s been happening over the last month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's a pub run, GFS, deep FI chart during a period of exceptional model uncertainty.

It will probably be 23 degrees and just entering an official drought instead.

Still, that overall cold trend remains. Even if it does seem to be pushed out longer, it hasn't dissapeared for more than 48hrs. So something is signalling it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement