Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ITMissy wrote: »
    Anyone have success in going around corners with the light strip? I can't get it to sit right.

Also, look up the folding method on YouTube, instead of wrapping it around the corner, you fold it aver itself to get a 90° turn...

https://youtu.be/t75UHae3MGU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Coltrane wrote: »
    Anyone successfully dealt with this or a similar problem?

Getting anything more than 1 Hub working with the internet service / Alexa implementation is asking for trouble.

I have 6 hubs. My solution was to expose the hubs to Alexa using OpenHAB and not using Philips Cloud service at all.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Marlow wrote: »
    Getting anything more than 1 Hub working with the internet service / Alexa implementation is asking for trouble.

I have 6 hubs. My solution was to expose the hubs to Alexa using OpenHAB and not using Philips Cloud service at all.

/M

Thanks. Does that solution give all your Hue hubs access to the Internet, so that they can update bulb firmware, run routines etc?

Thanks. Does that solution give all your Hue hubs access to the Internet, so that they can update bulb firmware, run routines etc?

The Cloud access has nothing to do with bulb firmwares and routines.

- once you plug your hub into your network, it has internet access and will regularly look for firmware updates for itself and the connected bulbs and switches. You do not need an account with Philips for that. I never registered with them and all my stuff updates regularly.

- the Philips account gives you the ability to control your hub from the Internet and connect it to Alexa or Google Home.

- OpenHAB on the other hand is a home automation platform (like Home Assistant, Hubitat, Samsung Smart Things, etc.), but where the Hue Cloud service or Home Assistant only can deal with one hub reliably, OpenHAB can handle any amount of Hue hubs and has it's own Alexa connector through the OpenHAB Cloud Service, which is free. And as such, you can then create rules and routines on that, opposed to creating them in the Hue environment and apply them to bulbs across the hubs, even at the same time.

Give you an example: I turn my outside lights and my garden lights on at sunset and then back off at 1:00. Hue can't do that. You either have to turn them on at sunset and turn them off at sunrise or you have to define on and off time. No mix and match. And I would have to create and maintain the routine on 3 different hubs, that those lights are spread over. This way, I have one rule and I have it the way, I want it.

I know, that people have managed to connect 2 or more Hue hubs with Home Assistant, but it gets broken with every update and then one has to find another way to do it. And as for Hue's own cloud connection, well, that was never designed to deal with more than one Hub.

/M

- once you plug your hub into your network, it has internet access and will regularly look for firmware updates for itself and the connected bulbs and switches.
    /M

Not any more. None of the Hue hubs has any Internet connection. The Internet connection LEDs either flash blue or are off. The Hue app/website show no Internet connection.

I'm not sure how adding another hub will solve that. More research needed on my part! Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Not any more. None of the Hue hubs has any Internet connection. The Internet connection LEDs either flash blue or are off. The Hue app/website show no Internet connection.

That's an entire different problem alright. You need to check the hubs connection to your router or whatever assigns it's IP address to your hub.

Clearly it has no network connection. Either the network cable is plugged out, broken or there is something wrong with them not getting an IP address from the router.

/M

Either the network cable is plugged out, broken or there is something wrong with them not getting an IP address from the router.

/M

The cables are not the issue. I've tried assigning (and then changing) static IP addresses to address your last idea. I've done this both on the router (Velop) and on each of the three Hue bridges. Power cycled. Unplugged cables and changed their sockets on the switch. Powered off one or two of the hubs, rinsed and repeated. All without any success; all three Hue bridges remain disconnected from the Internet. I'm bamboozled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Couple of questions. The context is about to build a big open plan kitchen dining extension, 5m x 10m (3m ceiling), and rewire the existing house. I have hue in most rooms, apart from bedrooms. Was planning keeping it that way.

1. Spotlights in kitchen/diner....should I go hue? The benefits would seem to be getting variety of colour, linking to sensors, easy configuration of scenes, voice activation. But its expensive considering how many I would need. Are there cheaper alternatives that easily and reliably link into Hue ecosystem.

2. If Hue spots, then what does the builder/electrician need to know re the size of recess needed.

3. When re-wiring, do I need a fallback physical switch where I am always going to have smart bulbs? For hall, stairs, landing, I'm thinking of a 3 gang smart switch, so people can turn each of the 3 bulbs on/off separately.

4. Any other recommendations re what to do when rewiring?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1. Spotlights in kitchen/diner....should I go hue? The benefits would seem to be getting variety of colour, linking to sensors, easy configuration of scenes, voice activation. But its expensive considering how many I would need.

My sitting room has Ten g10 bulbs. I changed them to philips hue white and colour. The colour doesn't do much for the room as the bulbs are so high. I'm so sorry I didn't save a few hundred euros & just go with the white hue bulbs.

My own personal belief is that these expensive coloured hue bulbs are better suited to lamps or if in kitchen then for under the wall presses or even above them. I'd be interested in hearing others opinion but I'd suggest for kitchen ceiling to go for white hue rather than colour

I started with the colour bulbs... and they were great fun for Halloween & Christmas fun, but that wore off very quickly. Since then I've opted for the white only bulbs and an occassional edison jobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'd go white ambiance for the spotlights as then you can adjust for cool/warm colour temp.

the coloured spotlights really only work as accent lights shining onto a wall or a feature.

newer model hue gu10s are same size as standard, older models are larger.

1. Spotlights in kitchen/diner....should I go hue?

For kitchen counters, I've used Ikea Strömlinje:
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/stroemlinje-led-worktop-lighting-white-80343042/

These come in various sizes (20, 60, 80 cm) and can be plugged together. Ikea has a Zigbee driver for these, which will work with the Hue hub.

10W driver: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-50356187/

30W driver: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-60342656/

These are only dimmable. No white tones or color.

GU10 spots tend not really spread light that well on the kitchen counter.

The actual lights then whatever takes your fancy. But I'd just go with warm-white Ikea Trådfri GU10 or whatever light fittings you have .. they're 15 EUR for GU10 or 8 EUR for E14 bulbs.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-gu10-400-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-90408603/

There's also a GU10 variant for 6 EUR, but that's only dimmable. No warm-white tones.

To pair these with your Hue hub, turn the bulb off, start searching for a bulb in the Hue app, then turn on 6 times quickly. It will start flashing to indicate reset and pair.

Color would be a nice have, but is overrated for the kitchen.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Anyone know if a hue motion sensor will switch on/off non-hue devices in homekit?

I have a LED light strip in Homkit set up through homebridge and I want to automate it with a motion sensor. Is this possible?

For kitchen counters, I've used Ikea Strömlinje:
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/stroemlinje-led-worktop-lighting-white-80343042/

These come in various sizes (20, 60, 80 cm) and can be plugged together. Ikea has a Zigbee driver for these, which will work with the Hue hub.

10W driver: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-50356187/

30W driver: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-60342656/

These are only dimmable. No white tones or color.

GU10 spots tend not really spread light that well on the kitchen counter.

The actual lights then whatever takes your fancy. But I'd just go with warm-white Ikea Trådfri GU10 or whatever light fittings you have .. they're 15 EUR for GU10 or 8 EUR for E14 bulbs.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-gu10-400-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-90408603/

There's also a GU10 variant for 6 EUR, but that's only dimmable. No warm-white tones.

To pair these with your Hue hub, turn the bulb off, start searching for a bulb in the Hue app, then turn on 6 times quickly. It will start flashing to indicate reset and pair.

Color would be a nice have, but is overrated for the kitchen.

/M

Thanks for this.

In peoples' experience, are the Ikea GU10 lights/other Ikea lights compatible with the hub, considered reliable?

With my Philips lights I never have problems. If these are not as reliable I would just prefer to take the hit on the Philips warm white GU10s. Otherwise I will be murdered by her indoors!

One other question - I presume anything compatible with hue hub is also compatible with the hue dimmer switches, Google home, motion detectors?

I have lots of the Ikea bulbs and they are connected to my Hue hubs. So yes, they work anything like the Philips ones.

As for all the other stuff. Your dimmer, motion sensor, etc. talks to the hub. The hub talks to the bulb. So there are zero issues.

/M

I have lots of the Ikea bulbs and they are connected to my Hue hubs. So yes, they work anything like the Philips ones.

As for all the other stuff. Your dimmer, motion sensor, etc. talks to the hub. The hub talks to the bulb. So there are zero issues.

/M

That's great, thanks a mill for confirming. Makes things a lot more affordable!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Hi all,

Not sure if you would consider this a Bargain Alert for Hue.

Amazon.de are giving 10 off first time purchases via the app for items that are sold/fulfilled by amazon.
    Ive found this applies to some of the Hue range including the colour GU10 twinpack, the motion detector and the 2m outdoor strip.
    Might take a bit of fiddling around but I managed to get the outdoor strip for 76 incl delivery using the code GESCHENK10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Okay have the Hue lights now looking at putting some outside.

Thinking of getting outdoor socket and the looking at Hue Lily set up

Have Hue Bridge and looking for users experience of this.

Also have spare bridge and with all the hue lights we have is one bridge enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

i have standard gu10 outside spots , changed the bulbs to hue and now have multicolor .
    think i have 16 on the bridge now ,

John mac wrote: »
    i have standard gu10 outside spots , changed the bulbs to hue and now have multicolor .
    think i have 16 on the bridge now ,

Considered that option but gu10 bulbs also expensive

What standard spot are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone seen any decent starter kit deals on? Looking to get one as a gift, probably with gu10s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Alkers wrote:
    Anyone seen any decent starter kit deals on? Looking to get one as a gift, probably with gu10s

I bought 4 of these earlier in the year. Only needed one hub but it was cheaper to buy starter packs than bulbs on their own. Curry's was the cheapest I could find at the time. Word of warning though, ordering from their Irish website but good dispatched from UK. I was waiting 3 weeks or so on delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Alkers wrote: »

Keep an eye on Argos, got a couple of kits there for half price in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

I have 5 Hue Lily spots out the back almost 2 years now, and they are great. They work flawlessly.

How did you go about installing them

I have similar garden as per yours

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=455570&d=1531381066

I have the socket at the back just outside house on the right. So can plug in lilly there and lay one down on the right one at the top and one on the left of the garden.

However did you have to buy extension cables in order to fit these. Think there are 2 different extension lengths. So best to buy lilly and see where they can extend to and then look at extension.

monitoring prices online on Lily before I decide what to do

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

monitoring prices online on Lily before I decide what to do

Cheers

which website is lily? I tried searching for it but couldn't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

brio09 wrote: »
    which website is lily? I tried searching for it but couldn't find it

Lily is the Hue light the poster is interested in purchasing.

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/p/hue-white-and-color-ambiance-lily-outdoor-spot-light/1741630V7

ah understood, thanks Gregor Samsa.

Another topic that I couldn't find answers on, in this exhaustive thread -

are there any wall-powered sensors and switches that folks on this thread have considered using with Philips hue?

it feels tedious to
    1) have a stock of batteries of different types
    2) remember where the stock is
    3) keep worrying about the batteries running out
    4) and then dislodge the device (sensor, switch) from their fixed spot
    5) to replace battery and mount them again. worrying whether the battery was inserted properly.

I know a bit - The Hue Tap Switch seems to not require batteries, which is great. most of the sensors seem to go long without battery changes.
    I'm sure there are more options out there and better sleak options. what has worked for others on this thread to have wall-powered mount-and-forget solutions for controlled your hue bulbs?

brio09 wrote: »
    ah understood, thanks Gregor Samsa.

Another topic that I couldn't find answers on, in this exhaustive thread -

are there any wall-powered sensors and switches that folks on this thread have considered using with Philips hue?

it feels tedious to
    1) have a stock of batteries of different types
    2) remember where the stock is
    3) keep worrying about the batteries running out
    4) and then dislodge the device (sensor, switch) from their fixed spot
    5) to replace battery and mount them again. worrying whether the battery was inserted properly.

I know a bit - The Hue Tap Switch seems to not require batteries, which is great. most of the sensors seem to go long without battery changes.
    I'm sure there are more options out there and better sleak options. what has worked for others on this thread to have wall-powered mount-and-forget solutions for controlled your hue bulbs?
    I have a bunch of sensors... some five years old, some 5 months old... haven't changed a battery yet.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a bunch of sensors... some five years old, some 5 months old... haven't changed a battery yet.

got it. and you never find yourself worrying about the battery?
    also, what did you do to cover the physical switches so that the hue bulbs don't get switched off by mistake by someone?

Advertisement