Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 3 - The Happyning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Was getting done for no tax, insurance and nct earlier.

Thankfully the Garda was completely understanding when I explained that it was my agent that messed up the paperwork! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve nothing to do tomorrow….that’s the happyning

apart from call the fitness equipment company to find out where my stuff is and enquire as to why they are not responding to my very courteous and polite email… the person who I am emailing in sales has no out of office so given that and that it’s a significant duration of time since I emailed her without receiving a reply after a significant amount of time from when I paid them 100% upfront … I’m just being 100% stonewalled.

im incredibly polite, understanding and facilitating when dealing with frontline staff / sales… usually regardless of the issue, been there, not always their fault, but when you are being a disingenuous fûckhound, being deliberately evasive having taken a persons money and promised them a service and agreed an approximate timeline in writing that they don’t get close to delivering on or attempt to communicate regarding they can get to fûck really… I just want and need.. INFORMATION !

something went awry, email me… my reply will be along the lines of….“ok, thanks, shît happens, let me know, keep me in the loop”… but almost two grand of my cash sitting in their account and I can’t get an email replying explaining what has happened or what will happen or where my stuff is ?

so I’m happy as the gloves need to come off, and these individuals can with pleasure keep the stonewalling, fobbing me off and I’ll with pleasure be paying a visit back to their showroom….if that’s what I need to do to talk to someone..

Something that gave me a smile today - though I can predict some of the negative takes some might have on it - was a story about a restaurant that opened in Tokyo a few years ago. But I am only seeing the story now.

Named "The restaurant of Mistaken Orders" - all the customer facing staff of the restaurant are people suffering from dementia. So there is some likelihood your order is going to go entirely wrong or end up at the wrong table.

Apparently the stated goal of the restaurant is to help people understand those who are suffering from this condition. I guess a second benefit not stated in the article I read is that it allows people to work - who otherwise might not get that chance. And to do so in an environment both understanding and accepting of their condition.

Since opening the restaurant they have calculated that around 40% of the orders have gone wrong already but nearly 100% of the customers declared themselves happy all the same because the food they did get was very good anyway. To be honest I can think of a few restaurants in my time where 40% would be a worthy target for improvement!

Anyway it's a little story that gave my happiness level a little bump for whatever reason.

TH it's dark early, and doesn't get bright til late..

Now, the dark aint necessarily a TH....

but,

It does make it easier to surreptitiously wander to shop, without having to wave to people (or meet them even 😂) in cars, and the likes.. 😃

Does be hard to notice people when they're inside their 'dreadnaughts' - despite what people say about "going out to get some fresh air" , or "it's good to be out and about and notice things, inside of being stuck inside the house, or inside of a car/bus/train".. Far easier as a driver/passenger to notice/recognise someone out walking or cycling, than vice versa... People in car might be thinking: "Jaysus, I waved to that fekker, and he never waved back" ..... either that or "that fella's in a world of his own".... More like he's too stressed out being 'on view' , so is not 'chilled' enough to 'take everything in', or indeed, to notice people who may be waving from the (close enough to) hidden confines of a car going by no slower than 25mph....

A lot easier to 'notice things' from inside a car, imo, as when out and about walking in the sprawling 'minitropolis' ; it feels very intense/claustrophic, and I 'notice' sfa.. ☹️ maybe others fare better in this regard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not something normally viewed in urban Dublin. Looked up when I heard ducks/geese. Must have been 50 of them flying in a big V formation over my head.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Handed in my notice today. Going to a better company, better hours, better culture, better prospects and more money. Huzzah!

Now over to the TA thread to complain about my notice period being three flippin months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Got clarification about my last "small" assessment, while longer than usual(ta in itself) its not anything like as intense a real relief!

Was deleting phones/dl's from my phone and one of them was my timetable for this year(last class was yesterday afternoon) just one long asses and final submission to go and it will be all over!

Th its been the longest and shortest 4 calendar years ever.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Fitness equipment arrived !

what I thought would have been a 2-3 hour job took them 50 minutes…

ultra efficient, professional and all done safely with masks, gloves and sanitiser… clean efficient and nice to deal with…

• Advertisement

Little young lads watching a hurling match in front of me. Looked about 5-7. Must have been their first game. They saw the yellow sliothar and said ‘oh look a tennis ball’. 🤣

A really nice coffee.

My little nephew's musical tastes in comparison to a regular child tastes.

As my brother told me a story about his little young fella, not yet five and a half.

He is a fan of Heavy Metal the more fast heavy beat, the less words the better - in particular - Rammstein's - Deutschland. This happened by accident by the way. (It was on my brother's gym playlist)

It is a very particular taste. The likes of Iron Man by Black Sabbath is boring apparently. Has to be a deep voice and fast heavy beat. All the stuff he really likes is similar. Classical music was tried but my nephew claims that only makes him want to go asleep.

That is not even the funny part. They had a playdate arranged with another fella who is older than my nephew.

But my nephew was disappointed when his friend did not like the heavy metal. The friend called it 'big people music'. The friend wanted to listen to Paw Patrol and play with Paw Patrol. My nephew was rolling his eyes at this, thinks Paw Patrol is for babies. And watching his friend play paw patrol on his own - said 'Daddy he is just playing with paw patrol!!'

So my brother had to intervene and set up a board game for the two of them.

All I can think of is what the nephew will be like in 10 years.

In a recent exercise he had to do for school . One of the questions were

'What is your favourite song?'

My brother said the young lad wanted to put down Rammstein - Deutschland. But managed to 'talk him down' to Cheryl Crow.

As my brother knew Rammstein's - Deutschland would raise some eyebrows.

I have been laughing about that for most of the day

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Friendly “hi” when passing by strangers walking on street.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Friendly New Home ZOT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

😁😁😁

A blazing fire on a cold day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Cleaned out and defrosted the freezer. Got rid of a load of unidentifiable stuff. Every time I swear I'll be super organised in future. Yeah, right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

After 40 years , FRAGGLE ROCK. is back :)😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

The news clip ( itn ) of the 1st Jamaican alpine skier. "I'm mixing it with the best in the world, of which I'm not one , and all the want to do is a reasonable time and not get killed. ". Got to love his realism.

Almost half way through one of the longest parts of my thesis, thought it would NEVER get to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I can only assume this will be Cool Runnings 2 in a few years

The watch I bought two years ago this week has stopped working… I’m usually quite diligent as regards keeping receipts for any valuable purchases, this watch was 370 quid, but in my receipt box nothing…. So best case I’m thinking my watch repairer acquaintance might be able to fix it for whatever price..but just before bed I remember where I put the box the watch came in… opened it, receipt and guarantee which is 3 years are both present in the box… happy days…. so I’ll have my cash and then a nice new watch, different manufacturer and different retailer….fantastic.

I've got to concentrate concentrate. Hello? Hello? Echo echo.

I've annual leave booked for next Monday and Tuesday. It's been a bit annoyingly busy in work today but just need to get through the rest of the week and then it's happy days extra long weekend 🙌

Put my day to day bra in the wash, went for a rummage for one to wear in the meantime.

Found a bra I bought for "one on one leisure activities😉" which is padded, th, warm nips and getting value for my already spent money.

Our company starting today got rid of all social distancing and masks etc., in the workplace and left it up to people to decide whether they wanted to continue wearing a mask or not.

What I'm delighted about is, I would say at least 90% of staff came into work today with no mask so for me that's encouraging and great to see and shows the vast majority are ready to move on from this nonsense and stop looking at other people like they're chemical weapons. 🙌🙌🙌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Infectious laughter.

It just brightens up any day

I ordered two new pillows weeks ago the 30th of December that I’d forgotten about… I’d received an email shortly afterwards saying they are out of stock and would I like to be refunded or wait for them to be delivered the first week in February …doorbell rings at 4.30 this evening and it’s a courier with the new pillows…. Road testing now and they are beyond comfy… seriously needed, not especially cheap but comfort is worth paying for…

• Advertisement

I knew that native Americans sent maize and other food/money to us during the famine (genocide) but I didn’t know both Mary Robinson and Leo Varadkar have visited the tribe to thank them.

Clearing stuff for the charity shop and I found something I thought I’d lost…that won’t be going there…

The book was the last gift from my grandfather before he died , a football mad guy to his football mad grandson, a nice note inside the cover and the bookmark I was using was the ticket from the famous France vs Ireland (Henry handball)match that I’d attend years later, I thought I’d lost that…thought I’d lost both… but cleaning out stuff I happened across both..

my grandad was a league of Ireland referee for a time such was his love and devotion to the game…the football association wanted to nominate him to become FIFA listed, when he ran it by my grandmother she wasn’t too happy it was just about ok going from Dalymount to Dundalk but from the Showgrounds to Seville or The Brandywell to the Bernaubeau wasn’t on, apparently.. I suppose with 5 kids, him being the breadwinner and everything.. understandable, I don’t think he was too disappointed anyway as he hated flying.

I was paid a massive genuine compliment earlier. Made my day.

^^

New do?? 😊

Bit of a 'phobic' TH here :)

TH I was able to engage in a bit of 'Tolerance Testing' (for want of a better description) today..

I come home, and notice there's fk all aboot.. Now me 'windys' (the glass part, that is) never get a wash or a wipe - don't see the point, as they're only for looking out.. Better they're a bit smeared/grimy, so as to better able folk to not be able to look in..

Daytime is grand, and, indeed it is hard to see inside; but, as we're all led to believe [rightfully] , lights on inside = easy to see in from outside.. Though I've been here a fair while, it's hard to do them 'tests' (what folk like me are wont to want to do) , as likely someone about - being as it's a built up area - , and they'd possibly be wondering (many would feel entitled to look at Leff) wtf that guy is doing looking in his (if they know it's my pad) , or someone else's (if they don't know who lives therein) window..

Turns out, unshiny glass or no, that, when lights are on inside; tis possible to see everything inside lighted room...

TH cos now I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, duhhh 😂

I was trying to keep the post as short as possible g - and in doing so, I didn't bother to mention curtains, of any kind 😋

I was merely wondering what my options would be, regarding the knowing/not knowing malarkey around the external 'nocturnal visibility' 😊 just so I can prepare accordingly, like.. If it's dark outside, and I'm sitting inside with light on, and I don't want to be seen at all, by anyone; then I'll be obliged to completely close curtains.. I wasn't 100% sure before, but now I am...

#I do have window coverage, but no net curtains, which, as we all know offer very little cover when the light is on 😃 can't be having net curtains anyhoo - they's too hard kept clean.. :)

Just had a lovely takeaway and have tomorrow and Tuesday booked off 🙌🥳

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's a guy at the gym I'm not casual terms with. I'd his accent down to northern German, norther Polish or Sweden. Turns out he's Lithuanian. I was close enough.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I’d a hospital appointment for a consultation this Thursday at 10.00 am. Not looking forward to it as the Mater and that department where it is situated is a drag to get into and out of… phone rings though 20 mins ago and it’s the consultants PA asking if I’d be ok with a telephone consultation….I’m biting her hand off, yes yes yes…

I live single digit kilometre distance away but it’s around a three hour escapade of a return trip for a fifteen to twenty minute conversation with a disinterested and less then proactive consultant… a tick box exercise in other words….

At least with a phone call I can hang up on the cûnts when they start the usual shtick .. “ well you are doing very well so keep up physio and eeereerrrrr, yah yah we’ll talk to you, erm, in a year “.

the physio and gym work is out of my pocket and they have offered zero help, they don’t as consultants know what services are available in the hospital/health services they are employed in…. Almost as bad if somebody with no arms was given a job as a taxi driver….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Soooo trivial, on a short drive this morning, with about three sets of traffic lights, I got green lights every time.

Makes no difference, but made me trivially happy anyway.

I’m going shopping and going to treat myself to an Eddie rockets on the way back as I can’t be bothered cooking..and I haven’t had an eddies in ages,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Moustache waxes.

Chainsaws.

Batch Loaf.

A big satisfying ripping fart.

It's a hard one to explain and not really a TH but an interaction I had with someone on site today who was here to do a job for us.

He was telling me about how his mother is dying of cancer mixed with a lot of humour and humility and we had a good oul chat as we always do when he's here, usually only once a year.

As he drove away I just thought there goes another good one. We all have varying struggles to deal with in our lives but the spirit of some people and the way they just get on with it with humour and looking on the positives it reminds of the human spirit and all the good eggs that are out there, quietly going about their day being nice to the people they interact with and dealing with their struggle in an admirable way.

• Advertisement

Watching utv and the news about the protocol and the sea border. The unionist on talking about imports from the uk , not realising that he's supposedly part of the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Daughter arrived in from UK . It all seems easier now , just come with no fuss of PCR. no worry about last minute changes . Just come and go as she used to with ease

Last Monday I went to Boots to buy a concealer, it was 18e but there was 10e off Max Factor if you spent over 20e so I picked up a mascara for about 14e that I genuinely needed anyway, when I went to pay the girl said I was also entitled to buy one get on half price, I also opted for the donate 1e to cancer research, just looking now at my online banking and in total I spent 15e, no idea how it all tallied up but I think I got a great deal. Slight TA ,I know I should check what I actually pay but I'm inclined to just tap and go .😄

Planning a mini makeover for my kitchen. Nothing mad, just some painting and new soft furnishings. Some stuff I was planning to get is now on half price. Very TH.

The weekend is nigh 🙌

• Advertisement
Advertisement