Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Trying to make my way through SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1. Its a nice game, character desgin is original but the gameplay does get a bit repetitive "Kill this guy, go here, kill more guys" with little to no alternate stuff to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thats rather unfortunate. I have to endure Xpose, Emmerdale, Coronation st., Eastenders and I'm currently in the middle of the second bout of Corrie, before I gain tv control. Now usually I would use the tv in my room, but theres new carpet coming tomorrow and as a result theres a 360, PsOne and Dreamcast in the bathroom, 2 boxes o' systems and a stack o' games in the kitchen and a SNES and Megadrive in a wardrobe. God knows where the tv is gone.

Sounds perfect. Drag in an extension cable, tv, some beers, crisps and you're good for the week :pac:

Fallout 3 DLC for me tonight. Been waiting for the Broken Steel/Point Lookout expansions to arrive from ebay so I can finally continue on to level 30. Seemed like a bit of a waste finishing the other DLCs without being able to level up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not a bad idea actually. I think theres some cans in the fridge and some popcorn in the press. Games night at my house and ye're all invited! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why do I hear 'lets go outside' in my head?

Digital Devil Saga is supposedly only a warm up act for DDS2 which is supposedly way better. I heard one of the games has a bastard of a final dungeon though so be prepared.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Why do I hear 'lets go outside' in my head?

The George Michael song?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

The George Michael song?

Teh Lulz!

Master of the Universe

Just spent a couple of hours playing Castlevania SOTN. My god. What a game. I bought it from ebay Germany and when it arrived the back of the case was in French/German. As was the booklet. Really held my breath waiting for the dialog to begin. To my pleasant suprise, they didn't dub the game for any of the European releases. It's all in English. Hurrah!!! I get the hammy voice acting in all it's glory.

Also managed to (Finally!) pick up an MVS copy of Metal Slug 3. Just need number 5 to complete the set. It's a suprinsigly difficult series to get a complete set of as auctions always end at stupidly expensive prices. And I'm not willing to spend stupid money on games. The wait paid off though. It's coming from Mexico of all places. The boards are legit so that's all that matters!

\Edit - ffs, I put a bid on Future Cop LAPD last week and just won it there. This is going to be one of those months where I don't eat. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have had to quit ebay, just costing far to much, all the time, I am much happier now (said through gritted teeth).
    Actually there are a host of games I'd love to buy but, as above remarks, I have to eat, pay the bills etc.
    Games will have to wait!

Master of the Universe

Bah, eating and paying the bills are overrated!

(Stomach grumbles)

Maybe not :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I packed Ebay in last month, feeling good about it too.

Moving all the stuff from the shed to the attic let me see that i really have too much and that i have a problem. :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Stoner wrote: »
    Moving all the stuff from the shed to the attic let me see that i really have too much and that i have a problem. :)

Something similar happened to me recently. After talking photos of some of my games the other day I decided that the Megadrive boxes would be easier to access standing up rather than laying flat.

Queue me going through all the games and to my suprise, finding quite a few that I didn't realise I already had. (And was almost going to buy again on ebay)

Maybe we need to form an ebay anonymous group.
    Trading is the way of the future!!

Thank god I can't get a credit card. I do be clawing at the screen sometimes when looking at ebay. Of course if anyone wants to get rid of their credt cards I'll happily dispose of them for you :D

On topic: Played some Resident Evil on the cube the other night. Enjoyable but a little eerie

Master of the Universe

On topic: Played some Resident Evil on the cube the other night. Enjoyable but a little eerie

Well, it is a survival horror game!

Stay the hell away from Silent Hill :p

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well, it is a survival horror game!

Stay the hell away from Silent Hill :p

I second that!:D Great game though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Silent Hill 2-
    1st game that ever threatened to make me soil myself,
    FACT!

Master of the Universe

I never played Silent Hill 2. The original scarred me too much. :eek: From what I've heard, I'm missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

I haven't played 2 either strangely......... never really got round to it.

Who needs it when you've got the ghost house levels in Super mario world though!

P.S. I'm not a fanboy :D

I'll just have to get Silent Hill now. Thanks alot guys! Got Christmas Nights today so will get stuck into that tomorrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I never played Silent Hill 2. The original scarred me too much. :eek: From what I've heard, I'm missing out.

You really are missing out. The other games in the series are just run of the mill horror games with a differnet but simplisitc storyline. Silent Hill 2 however is pretty much something to be put forward for the argument for games as art. It's tells such a deep and multilayered story and uses game mechanics to enhance it. It's really a must play for any avid follower of the medium.. I liked how gamespite summarised it in their top games ever list. They said as a game it's by far the worst game on the list but as an experience it's probably the best.

Master of the Universe

Well when you put it like that I'm really going to have to give it a run through! Fairly sure I have a copy of it somewhere.

So the current list of games to get through is -

Fallout 3 DLC. Finished The Pitt. Working on Point Lookout & Broken Steel. Haven't even gone near Oparation Anchorage.

Castlevania SOTN - 66% in, **** loads more to do!

Super Metroid - Changed the battery so back to the beginning now.

Silent Hill 2 can get added to the bottom of that list.

Oh, I tested the Megamouse today with Cannon Fodder. It works great! Don't know what that person what ****ting on about over on sega-16. Maybe it doesnt work with the NTSC version.

But yeah, if you have Cannon Fodder for the MD then try and hunt one down. I doubt many people have the room for Amigas anymore.

• Advertisement

Don't forget when you think you are done with Symphony of the Night you aren't really. Consult an FAQ because otherwise you'd be missing out on literally half the game.

Master of the Universe

Ah yes, the inverted castle! What did people do in the past without the internets/gamefaqs? Miss 50% of games it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Playing F Zero X, my favourite of the series. Although haven't played the Gamecube version, does it compare?

F-zero GX is probably the best racer I've ever played, it's fantastic. Some people think F-zero X is better but I much prefer GX.

I'm half playing GX at the mo and really enjoying it so far. I hope to get into it properly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

You really are missing out. The other games in the series are just run of the mill horror games with a differnet but simplisitc storyline. Silent Hill 2 however is pretty much something to be put forward for the argument for games as art. It's tells such a deep and multilayered story and uses game mechanics to enhance it. It's really a must play for any avid follower of the medium.. I liked how gamespite summarised it in their top games ever list. They said as a game it's by far the worst game on the list but as an experience it's probably the best.

I wouldn't mind giving this a go, anyone know what the difference is between standard version and director's cut? which one should I go for?

Directors cut is the one to go for. It has an extra chapter giving more insight into maria as you play as her. I could be wrong but I think the platinum version could be the directors cut as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

Directors cut is the one to go for. It has an extra chapter giving more insight into maria as you play as her. I could be wrong but I think the platinum version could be the directors cut as well.

Thanks Retro,
    As soon as I'm done with Fallout 3 I'll give this a go..

Only thing about Silent Hill 2 is the infernal fog, now I know they wove it into the story line, but it is really hiding the graphical limitations of the host hardware.

I bought SH2 and 3 for the PS2 as standalone titles, but couldn't find the 4th one anywhere, then, by chance, spotted the collection in Gamestop and snapped them up.
    Disappointed to find Silent Hill itself not included and it took another 18months to discover it in Bookmart and GameXchange.

The sound of the radio crackling and the surprise when you first find the torch, my nerves were shredded!

Didn't they also make the excellent Parasite Eve?
    I remember playing a "dodgy" NTSC version on the modded PS back in the day and being very impressed, with the "The Thing" FMV sequences anyway, the battle system wsa nice too.

• Advertisement

Parasite Eve was a Squaresoft game. Never played the first one and the second one kind of sucked but heard the first is well worth playing.

Advertisement