Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the psone version was the first version i ever played,it was an ingenious approach to bring the game to those at the time coundnt afford to buy or upgrade their p.c to run the game,final doom was good aswell,the jap version of doom on saturn was ment to be a better port,which sadly is very scarce in this part of the world...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The nice addition to the PSone version was the fact they included 2 full Doom games, Ultimate Doom and Doom II, love that double barrel shotgun!
    Also nice was the extra lighting and the music, super creepy!

I think I have said it here before, but for me, Doom is trumped by Descent, also played and finished by me on the PSone, as was Descent II, I was also lucky enough to come across them later and added them to the collection, which is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm suprised about the Saturn version. Any particular reason why it was so rubbish? Just crap/lazy programming?

I had Final Doom for the ps1 way back when it came out and it was really ported well. Actually just before I bought it I was mugged by a junkie with a syringe in town. Well, attempted mugging, bastard got nothing out of me. He followed me into the Gamestop where I made my purchase.

Thanks for reminding me of that :mad: hah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was just a really lazy port. The saturn should have been well able to handle it what with it being a 2D game essentially, should have been a better game than the PS1 version. Also I'm pretty sure the Saturn version had no music and a load of cut sound effects.

final doom on psone had nice night sky with stars in it,the N64 port was nice too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

The N64 version of Doom is great. That and Quake are the two best FPS for the N64 system.

Master of the Universe

Wasn't Doom64 made with polygons rather than sprites? That just sounds wrong!

That and Quake are still just really ports anyway. Best FPS games for it are Goldeneye (Feck off Retr0!) and Perfect Dark.

Only other FPS exclusive I can think of are the Turok games. Which are piles of poo.

Duke 3D was another one..but that's port territory again.

Nothing wrong at all with a game being a port. Doom64 is more than a port in any case, and it features sprites, not polygons. The game looks amazing and stands out in the Doom series of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    That and Quake are still just really ports anyway. Best FPS games for it are Goldeneye (Feck off Retr0!) and Perfect Dark.

The truth hurts, take those rose tinted specs off and stop seeing things in an unsteady 5 FPS.

Master of the Universe

I must revisit Doom64 so. Always remembered the enemies being 3D. Maybe I'm getting it confused with something else.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean there was anything wrong with ports. Just that if a consoles best games in a specific genre are ports then it hasn't been a very successful console in my view. Well not in that genre anyway.

I especially hate seeing ports in best of lists. If I want to play the best version of a game, I'll go to whatever it was released on rather than play some watered down version.

Unless of course the game was crap on it's original release and was somehow super duper optimised for a port. Or the port was some amazing marvel of engineering. But even then, just a port so meh!

• Advertisement

Doom 64 was weird. It was definitely the same engine (the games wad can be run on a PC on something like JDoom) but they have completely new levels and all the enemies, weapons and textures are completely different so it has a unique look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to say, the best FPS of that console gen, and most impressive given the effort on the part of the dev to bring it to this console, was Quake on the Saturn by Lobotomy.
    Same guys who brought us Exhumed, Duke Nukem and

DEATH TANK
    DEATH TANK
    DEEEAAATHHH TAAAANK!!!!!

Sorry about that, just slipped out (as the bishop said to the actress!).

Seriously though, I have Quake on the Saturn and it is astounding, so much better than the port of Quake 2 on the PS and N64, I played a lot of Quake on the PC, love the Lovecraft style story and it translation to the Saturn is brilliant.
    If you can get it do, you won't be disappointed.

i have the saturn port too it is amazing..

It really is a spectacular port. Unfortunately it bankrupt the company. The port was tendered by Id and Lobotomy got the job because they offered to do it for the least amount of money. Instead of doing a terrible lazy port by porting over the source code (which probably wouldn't have worked on the saturn) and instead built the game from the ground up with the engine they had for exhumed and Duke Nukem. It's amazing that they got the game to look and feel just like the PC version. They also had multiplayer working over the modem attachment but they released it early without it so they could get it out before they went bankrupt and the saturn disappeared since the QA would have taken too long.

I must revisit Doom64 so. Always remembered the enemies being 3D. Maybe I'm getting it confused with something else.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean there was anything wrong with ports. Just that if a consoles best games in a specific genre are ports then it hasn't been a very successful console in my view. Well not in that genre anyway.

I especially hate seeing ports in best of lists. If I want to play the best version of a game, I'll go to whatever it was released on rather than play some watered down version.

Unless of course the game was crap on it's original release and was somehow super duper optimised for a port. Or the port was some amazing marvel of engineering. But even then, just a port so meh!

Doom64 is much more than a port in my opinion, and you should definetly give it a go again soon. The game has been completely revamped, new levels, the sprites are completely redone, they don't get all pixelated again up close, the sounds are equally impressive and really convey a sense of dread that claustrophobic slaughter is imminent.

I would easily include Doom64 on my top picks for the Nintendo 64, it's simply a great game. You can't play Doom64 on anything else, so it is a unique experience.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I would easily include Doom64 on my top picks for the Nintendo 64, it's simply a great game. You can't play Doom64 on anything else, so it is a unique experience.

Wrong, you can play it through JDoom or legacy and play it with wasd and mouselook, much better than on an N64 with the N64 blur.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wrong, you can play it through JDoom or legacy and play it with wasd and mouselook, much better than on an N64 with the N64 blur.

I can also play Sonic the Hedgehog on a iPhone. But I'm not going to. I'm sure you can figure out why.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I can also play Sonic the Hedgehog on a iPhone. But I'm not going to. I'm sure you can figure out why.

Well Sonic the Hedgehog on the iphone is one of the worst ports ever and absolute scutter while Doom 64 through Legacy of JDoom make the game even better, so not sure where the similarity is?

Well Sonic the Hedgehog on the iphone is one of the worst ports ever and absolute scutter while Doom 64 through Legacy of JDoom make the game even better, so not sure where the similarity is?

Sure why not have any retro consoles at all, just emulate everything. I prefer Doom 64 as it is. It's a console game, but play it on the PC if you want.

Well, Doom is not really generally under the same rules as Sonic.
    I mean Sonic has it's host hardware, the Megadrive, where it is best.
    The there are the next best things, the game running on the 360/Wii/Plug 'n play device where it still has the essence of the thing, having a proper controller.
    I would say emulation is not the ideal way to play, especially as it is so cheap to buy the Megadrive and the game, and it's really not the same, the cart, console and controller combo is all part of the experience.
    But porting it to a machine that even lacks a d-pad is simply madness, how on earth can you play it and get the most from it? It's like playing marble madness without a trackball, it simply doesn't work on the iPhone.

Now I have many many Sonic games across many platforms, one of my favourites is Sonic on the NeoGeo Pocket Color. But the iPhone? It has no buttons!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I've never played Sonic on the NeoGeo pocket. Always thought it was a really strange release to have on that system.

Got my Gamegear today and for the first time ever played its versions of Sonic 1 & 2.

Didn't know the visuals were so good! Very impressed.

However really not impressed with all the AA battery slots on the back. I thought it would have been a good bit better than the Nomad.

Why Sega why? Do you just hate batteries in general?

I really like the master system Sonic 1 and 2 games (Sonic Chaos is another gem worth trying) and think they get unfairly dismissed due to the american press having no interest in Sega 8-bit games. I heard the Neo Geo pocket Sonic game is also rather good.

I've never played Sonic on the NeoGeo pocket. Always thought it was a really strange release to have on that system.

Got my Gamegear today and for the first time ever played its versions of Sonic 1 & 2.

Didn't know the visuals were so good! Very impressed.

However really not impressed with all the AA battery slots on the back. I thought it would have been a good bit better than the Nomad.

Why Sega why? Do you just hate batteries in general?

I found Sonic 2 to be incredibly hard, especially the first boss. It's something you either do the first time or waste all your lives in vain trying to beat.

Master of the Universe

Didn't get near any Sonic 2 bosses unfortunately. Spent too much time doing the usal giddy christmas morning ****e you do with a new console which has more than one game -

/Inserts Sonic 1
    'wow! this is cool!'
    /Blow
    /inserts Sonic 2
    'Wow, this is cool!"
    /Blow
    Inserts Columns
    'Wow this is co cool!'
    /Blow

(Then it started going horribly wrong)
    /inserts Eccho the Dolphin
    Doesn't boot up
    /Blow
    Doesn't boot up
    /blow
    Doesn't boot up

'**** this! - reaches for Nomad'
    /Screen doesn't boot up

argh!!!!!!!!!

First level boss wasn't too tough. The bloody hang glider sections I still can't get the hang of.

First level boss wasn't too tough. The bloody hang glider sections I still can't get the hang of.

I'm gonna make it, I'm gonna make it....****. I didn't make it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Ah the hang glider sections, brings back memories. Remember rapidly pressing backwards to try and keep him in the air, only getting about like 5 feet across in the process. Took a while for my 9-year-old-self to get the hang of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ghostchant wrote: »
    Ah the hang glider sections, brings back memories. Remember rapidly pressing backwards to try and keep him in the air, only getting about like 5 feet across in the process. Took a while for my 9-year-old-self to get the hang of it!
    My 7 year old self couldnt get the hang of it and my current 23 year old self still cant get it :mad:

The Gamegear Sonic series show the Sonic Team was once capable of producing a good Sonic game on something other than a Megadrive, not only that but a Sonic game that wasn't always a platformer.
    Ah well....
    The Gamegear games have also been a source of delight when trying them for the first time, usually as they are packaged as extras on the myriad of Sonic retrospectives on the various last gen consoles.

• Advertisement

I don't think Sonic Team have actually made that many good games. Sure there's Nights and sonic 1 but Sonic 2 was made by an american team and I think Sonic 3 and sonic and knuckles were the same sonic team. The japanese team made Sonic CD which I'm amazed is liked by so many people because for me it's one of the most mundane and samey platformers I've ever played. I'm pretty sure the game gear and master system games were by a different team to Sonic Team. Anything else has been pretty rough.

Also Sonic software planning, the guys behind shining force, get mistaken for Sonic Team. Sonic software planning is actually camelot who do the mario golf, golden sun and everybodys golf games.

Advertisement