Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My €100m BEAM scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,825 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    No, if you already in a environmental scheme like GLAS you are covered, if not you have to commit to sign up to BB before the 1/12/19

We are in the bdgp does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

OnDtown wrote: »
    Ironically I think he is exactly the farmer that was targetted by this scheme, he could have claimed 2-3 times the max amount if it wasn't capped at 100 cattle, and trust me he definately has lost alot of money on beef!

But between his state/private pensions + BPS/ANC payments, this will push him into the higher tax bracket.
    Off the top of my head calculations estimate that he could be liable to 11k tax payments over 2 years, just to receive this 10k payment. It sounds nuts to be honest!

I really not sure how the smart destocking works with the accountant and niether of us have much faith in the current guy either.

He can put his losses against the Beam Payment or else fire your accountant, there's no way if he has lost more than 10000 on his cattle that he's have to pay income tax on the beam payment.
    When I was involved in CPOs IN IFA the number of farmers with mistakes in their CGT was unreal so don't take it for granted that the accountant is right.
    A neighbour was telling me in the last few week that his tax bill was€4000 ....LAST YEAR OF ALL YEARS. I told him it was mad so he went back and told the accountant he was fired if he didn't change that so it's less than half that now ....like WTF

whelan2 wrote: »

I think it does, presume you're referring about your fathers suckler herd, your little dairy herd just mightn't

wrangler wrote: »
    I think it does, presume you're referring about your fathers suckler herd, your little dairy herd just mightn't

Ye it's for my dad. I didnt bother even looking into it as I thought he needed to be bord bia approved

Ye it's for my dad. I didnt bother even looking into it as I thought he needed to be bord bia approved

Apply any way, I'll take the money if you don't want it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Doesn't do farmers any good either if we claim that farmers have lost 100m and then they only look for 50m.
    There might be time yet, when's the closing date

Applications are being accepted from 19th August to Sunday, 8th September 2019 (midnight)

Yeah, the Beef Data & Genomics Programme is one of the Environmental schemes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

He can put his losses against the Beam Payment or else fire your accountant, there's no way if he has lost more than 10000 on his cattle that he's have to pay income tax on the beam payment.
    When I was involved in CPOs IN IFA the number of farmers with mistakes in their CGT was unreal so don't take it for granted that the accountant is right.
    A neighbour was telling me in the last few week that his tax bill was€4000 ....LAST YEAR OF ALL YEARS. I told him it was mad so he went back and told the accountant he was fired if he didn't change that so it's less than half that now ....like WTF

Sure take a middling sfp anc glas pension (maybe) you wouldn’t be long hitting a tax bill of 4K.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Sure take a middling sfp anc glas pension (maybe) you wouldn’t be long hitting a tax bill of 4K.

parttime farmer , paying tax in work, 4000 tax on the farm, I should've clarified that

• Advertisement

Parttime farmer claiming all allowance on his salary/pension, country is full of them

And that's a great thing.

And that's a great thing.

Oh yea, wish I had done it,

Applied there. When is the payment being made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

According to the t&c yes.

Applied there. When is the payment being made?

December 2019

Oh yea, wish I had done it,

Sure what stopped you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pure breed

Apologies if this is a stupid question about BEAM.
    But say you have to reduce by 240kg roughly 4-5 cows for the scheme.
    Do you have to have reduced by start ie. On day one of the period 01/07/20 to 30/06/21??? Or can it be by the end of the term?? Thanks.

Sure what stopped you?

Life took over when I left school, parents were old,brother died at 21 after a year in hospital, father in a nursing home for five years had to help my mother to pay for it, I was thirty before I knew it and in debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

pure breed wrote: »
    Do you have to have reduced by start ie. On day one of the period 01/07/20 to 30/06/21??? Or can it be by the end of the term?? Thanks.

From the start if doing it that way i think.

I think a suckler cow is worth 65kg/n per year so to be safe you need to reduce by 4 cows for 12 months of the year. If you wait until the last month you would have to reduce by 45cows in the last month.
    So reduce by 4 cows from 1/7/20 or wait until 1/6/21 and reduce by 45

Cavanjack wrote:
    I think a suckler cow is worth 65kg/n per year so to be safe you need to reduce by 4 cows for 12 months of the year. If you wait until the last month you would have to reduce by 45cows in the last month. So reduce by 4 cows from 1/7/20 or wait until 1/6/21 and reduce by 45

Thanks Cavanjack makes sense, just wondering as we have spring/autumn calving so numbers be changing fairly regular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Average over 12 months so either 5 for 12 months or 10 for 6 months

Life took over when I left school, parents were old,brother died at 21 after a year in hospital, father in a nursing home for five years had to help my mother to pay for it, I was thirty before I knew it and in debt

By God, life hasn't been 'a bed of roses' for you lad. Far from it :(

By God, life hasn't been 'a bed of roses' for you lad. Far from it :(

You couldn't write my twenties when most are supposed to be acting the hoor not be broke all the f...ing time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

But you don't necessarily have to cut down 4 cows in one go am I right? Like next Spring if you cull 2 cows that will be a start towards your reduction considering they are not replaced. I think I'm right in saying that. Your reference period is already decided so you could be selling weanling away from this winter if you wanted and it would be a help rather than a big dramatic decrease. That's my take on it anyway. Still haven't decided whether to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    But you don't necessarily have to cut down 4 cows in one go am I right? Like next Spring if you cull 2 cows that will be a start towards your reduction considering they are not replaced. I think I'm right in saying that. Your reference period is already decided so you could be selling weanling away from this winter if you wanted and it would be a help rather than a big dramatic decrease. That's my take on it anyway. Still haven't decided whether to sign up.

You have to reduce your average carbon output over the future reference period by the stipulated 5% by reducing your average stocking level , this can be achieved by reducing a smaller number of any type of cattle over all of that time frame or reducing a lot of cattle over a short time frame .

Oh I see...
    So I sell 10 weanling in April 2020 we'll say. Will that be counted against my reduction come July 2020-2021?

Oh I see...
    So I sell 10 weanling in April 2020 we'll say. Will that be counted against my reduction come July 2020-2021?

The reduction must be within the reference period 1st july onward so you must monitor your reduction monthly either online or through your advisor .
    Now the timing of the reference period is the catch and may be used as a future reference period as some farmers suspect as it would have been more logical to have the two reference periods following each other I assume.

But what I'm trying to get at is my reference value was 3000 kgs N and from July 2020 to 2021 I need to reduce it by 150 N to 2850kgs. So next Spring I sell a bunch of cattle which are not replaced. My stocking rate will stay the same for the required period and will be below 2850kgs. There should be no reason for me to sell anymore cattle during that time. Am I right in saying that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

But what I'm trying to get at is my reference value was 3000 kgs N and from July 2020 to 2021 I need to reduce it by 150 N to 2850kgs. So next Spring I sell a bunch of cattle which are not replaced. My stocking rate will stay the same for the required period and will be below 2850kgs. There should be no reason for me to sell anymore cattle during that time. Am I right in saying that?

Depends on the age of the cattle.
    I think as some cattle get older their N value increases so even though your batch of cattle might be under 2850kgs in July 2020 they could be over it by July 2021. But it's the average value over the 12 months that matters i think.

Should be safe enough if not replaced and you stay under 2850 kgs but I would refer it to an advisor to be 100% sure .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Slow take up for scheme deadline now extended by a week

Bellview wrote: »

I didn't know we were eligible until yesterday. I assumed we didnt qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Bellview wrote: »

I cannot understand such a low uptake on the scheme. It may be the reduction required is putting farmers off but I would have thought most finishers and suckler farmers would be looking to reduce numbers anyway given the outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I cannot understand such a low uptake on the scheme. It may be the reduction required is putting farmers off but I would have thought most finishers and suckler farmers would be looking to reduce numbers anyway given the outlook.

For a lot of farmers it's only 3-600 euro. I killed 55 last year 4 qualified for the scheme. That 400 euro. My nitrates in the qualifications period was skewed by last summer drought. As well I was reconfiguring my system which works against me. If I try to reduce I will have to kill 3-5 less cattle or slaughter cattle earlier which could reduce my farm profit by 300-1.5k. I have applied but I am treating it as an interest free loan

As well a lot of older farmers that buy to qualify for ANC and slaughter in the autumn are not on line and may not apply. It a pigs ar5e of a scheme. Expecting lads that are getting less than 1k to reduce stocking levels was stupid.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Closing date extended

orm0nd wrote: »
    Closing date extended

Its typical of the confusing myriad of mickey mouse schemes out there , an insult to the farmer !

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

It’s the most stupid scheme ever invented in my opinion.
    Why you would volunteer to cut back future production for a few shekels now, is just counter intuitive for most people.
    Better for the government spend what they have to, in order to tear into the cozy selfie serving relationships between the beef barons and the retailers. They set up the CAB and created targeted legislation to tear into organised crime after Veronica Guerin was shot. To be fair to the guards, they ripped into the thugs and the rest is history.

There is new and more targeted legislation and appropriately resourced supervisory / investigatory body needed to flake into the barons and the retailers.

Time to bring them to heel with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

unless there is an app offered through ICBF where you can see you N levels on an easy basis then I'd be slow advising anyone to join, as already pointed out as cattle age there N level is increased.

either way its a quota in my opinion so they can shove it

We got a text this morning saying we are in the scheme and to reply y or n to our tesgasc advisors name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dozer1 wrote: »
    unless there is an app offered through ICBF where you can see you N levels on an easy basis then I'd be slow advising anyone to join, as already pointed out as cattle age there N level is increased.

Apply farm away and look at it as an interest free loan

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It’s the most stupid scheme ever invented in my opinion.
    Why you would volunteer to cut back future production for a few shekels now, is just counter intuitive for most people.
    Better for the government spend what they have to, in order to tear into the cozy selfie serving relationships between the beef barons and the retailers. They set up the CAB and created targeted legislation to tear into organised crime after Veronica Guerin was shot. To be fair to the guards, they ripped into the thugs and the rest is history.

There is new and more targeted legislation and appropriately resourced supervisory / investigatory body needed to flake into the barons and the retailers.

Time to bring them to heel with a bang.

Producing more for less is counterintuitive, take the money and run, you'll be aswell off with less work

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

On the ICBF if u look at stock numbers month by month you would be able to keep an eye on it

Dozer1 wrote:

Great point, I agree there needs to be a easy way of seeing your value in kgs by a weekly, monthly or whatever way instead of having to calculate yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

On the ICBF if u look at stock numbers month by month you would be able to keep an eye on it
    Great point, I agree there needs to be a easy way of seeing your value in kgs by a weekly, monthly or whatever way instead of having to calculate yourself.
    Why pay a entity/service provider to view that information.

DAFM via Agfood have all our cattle statistics but unfortunately afaik they only record our farm nitrates information per quarter.

Methinks that we need to request that they provide a time pertinent - daily/weekly nitrate statement.

Because Base they have pretty much forced a sign up to ICBF as a result of the latest beef schemes so they might aswell do the app as a result - BEEP being one example, you can only record weights on ICBF.

As for the interest free loan view BASS...already got a rap on the knuckles for GLAS and sent them a cheque back for it this week so I'll pass thanks

• Advertisement

Because Base they have pretty much forced a sign up to ICBF as a result of the latest beef schemes so they might aswell do the app as a result - BEEP being one example, you can only record weights on ICBF.

As for the interest free loan view BASS...already got a rap on the knuckles for GLAS and sent them a cheque back for it this week so I'll pass thanks

What did you go down on?

P soil levels,
    soil samples results arrived after I had fert bought and out.. lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

P soil levels,
    soil samples results arrived after I had fert bought and out.. lesson learned
    what % penalty was it for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭tractorporn

Great point, I agree there needs to be a easy way of seeing your value in kgs by a weekly, monthly or whatever way instead of having to calculate yourself.[/quote]

What your asking for is literally available on agfood to see along with P and K statements.

I see base beat me to it, but from quarterly figures you should be able to monitor your N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭I says

Looked at it there I qualify for it for what I killed in the window all I’ll get is the price of a finished Bullock so I’m out, to much hassle trying to worry about nitrates as well as all the other paper work so fcuk it I’ll not loose sleep over it.
    The way things are going I’d be as well off taking down every internal gate buy min stocking rate and let them roam the place from one end of the year to the next. No silage, no shed, no tractor, no fert no nothing. Only time to look at stock is herd test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement