Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Another suckler farmer!!!! One more of us one less of them.
    Hope she is lucky for him

I'd say she'll be ran through the parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Any idea what these legions/scars are ?
    29 month old bullock here with 2 or 3 on each side of the belly. Saw them a few weeks back but thought they had cleared up however I noticed them back last evening. Are they ringworm ?

Treatment and control of bovine sarcoptic and psoroptic mange infestation with ivermectin long-acting injectable (IVOMEC(®) GOLD). ...

The current LM stock bull seemed to be developing something similar this Spring (wintered indoors), Ivomec Super Inj cleared it up, he also got Ectospec pour on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Seven year old cow sells for €9,800 at the Charolais Skidoo Dispersal sale;

Anyone go?

https://twitter.com/ajwwoods/status/1172855164652445702

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Seven year old cow sells for €9,800 at the Charolais Skidoo Dispersal sale;

Anyone go?

https://twitter.com/ajwwoods/status/1172855164652445702

Didn’t get as would be kid in a sweet shop
    Was following there was a good few around the 2k mark
    That one has good breeding and must of been exceptional

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Lads I know ye are old enough but ye are not going to the factory and that's final ! !

• Advertisement

Lads I know ye are old enough but ye are not going to the factory and that's final ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I want some if the pills you are taking Chops. ;)
    Are they gone over the 380kg mark?

I want some if the pills you are taking Chops. ;)
    Are they gone over the 380kg mark?

Hard to say. Definitely reckon 3 of them are north of 360. One of them 30 months tomorrow rest next week !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Hard to say. Definitely reckon 3 of them are north of 360. One of them 30 months tomorrow rest next week !

Balls. You are on the tipping point of age, weight and fat score so.

Balls. You are on the tipping point of age, weight and fat score so.

Yip. But wont be going anywhere until things are sorted. In fairness my few wont make any difference but shur it's a bit of solidarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Has anyone been using herbal leys or anything away from the standard grasses when reseeding?

We have some flat fields which are due reseeding and was considering something beyond the standard grass mix. The fields can poach easily and I think a run over with a subsoiler or aerator would be of benefit.

From reading and listening to folk a subsoiler is a better implement to the aerator. However, what I was thinking/wondering was if the seed mix included some deep rooted mixes such as chicory (no others come to mind) would this be the better option in the long term? The compaction is due to animals, not machinery.

Not really sure what to do, but I'm interested in reading about what others have done and how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Mammy,daddy and baby. (Mid March)

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Looks good Patsy! Only watched first few min. Have to wait for again.

It could be an idea though for another protest.... a "fair" day...... a day where you look for a "fair" price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks for putting that up Patsy, it brought back memories of going to the fair when I was a child.

God almighty that porter would put a thirst on a man!!!!

I wonder had the lad with the volkswagen beetle his BE licence?! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Muckit wrote: »

Seeing the calves without any tags looks strange. Roll on 40 odd years and the amount of hoops we have to jump through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Amazing how quiet the cattle are, I wish mine would stand around like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

High bike wrote: »
    Amazing how quiet the cattle are, I wish mine would stand around like that

Run them 15 miles to the fair and they'll stand on your head if you want them to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »
    Muckit wrote: »

Seeing the calves without any tags looks strange. Roll on 40 odd years and the amount of hoops we have to jump through.

I watched a video lately on Hannah Hauxwell's life in the Yorkshire Dale's set some time during the 1970's. It showed the sale of a bullock that made up the bulk of her annual income. The main difference that struck me regarding the cattle compared to today was how much smaller they were at the time. None of the store bullocks at the sale we're heavier than 350kg at a guess despite being 18 months old or more. I'd heard of "belt buckle" cattle and that's the best description I could use, the introduction of continental's must have been a revolutionary time for cattle breeding. Perhaps it's a return to these smaller stock that's needed to fulfill the requirement for smaller carcasses and lower maintance type animals in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I watched a video lately on Hannah Hauxwell's life in the Yorkshire Dale's set some time during the 1970's. It showed the sale of a bullock that made up the bulk of her annual income. The main difference that struck me regarding the cattle compared to today was how much smaller they were at the time. None of the store bullocks at the sale we're heavier than 350kg at a guess despite being 18 months old or more. I'd heard of "belt buckle" cattle and that's the best description I could use, the introduction of continental's must have been a revolutionary time for cattle breeding. Perhaps it's a return to these smaller stock that's needed to fulfill the requirement for smaller carcasses and lower maintance type animals in the future.

We bought in some black baldies a few years ago - they were light when bought but turned into absolutely super cattle and were all killed by end of june - and they never saw a nut.

When you take in the fact that you'd have a hardy cow as well that would be my choice of breed if i was to do a suckler to beef enterprise i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A few of ye might remember this lad from the spring.

Nice little heifer born the middle of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

They are both great shapes. What ages?

They are both great shapes. What ages?

The mousey fella was born the 20th of March.

A few of ye might remember this lad from the spring.

Did you sell any weanlings yet?

Did you sell any weanlings yet?

No I'll leave it for another fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No I'll leave it for another fortnight.

They should sell well for you but a Show & Sale should help

6 month old Ampertaine Commander limousin bull. 5 stars milk, fertility & docility. Was hoping for a heifer.

• Advertisement

492189.jpg
    Only a day old, but enough cop on to find a snug place away from Lorenzo

Advertisement