Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭High bike

A PBR Foreman x Afly heifer I bought recently. Just gone 2 years. She's grand and quiet and 5 stars for milk. She's a bit leggy but we'll try and pick a bull to suit.:rolleyes:
    fine heifer plenty height and length,Hamlet or Gamin might suit her

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

High bike wrote: »
    fine heifer plenty height and length,Hamlet or Gamin might suit her

I have both. She was running with a good bull on the farm but i don't know if she is in calf.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

A PBR Ampertaine Foreman x Fieldson Alfy heifer I bought recently. Just gone 2 years. She's grand and quiet and 5 stars for milk. She's a bit leggy but we'll try and pick a bull to suit.:rolleyes:

Both herself and her mother are genotyped.

Have a foreman X Regis (spelling?) That's the spit of her. Incalf to gamin calving around Paddy's Day hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Was she out of Gortalea Patsy? He was a fine Bull, couldn't understand why they weren't scanned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Was she out of Gortalea Patsy? He was a fine Bull, couldn't understand why they weren't scanned

Yep, Gortalea. Don't know if he was the bull or not as they had 2 bulls. They should have had a proper ICBF pedigree catalogue aswell. Could have done that very easily. Unless you looked up each individual animal, you wouldn't know their breeding.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone know anything about Bó Riabhach cattle. Was just reading about them, down to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Stealth mode activated!!

20190823-091430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Stealth mode activated!!

20190823-091430.jpg

Great idea till she kicks the bumper off

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Farmer Dan

What would you do with these, mart or Factory?
    29 month old, AA. Not getting meal.
    What do ye think if them.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Are they fat enough for the factory? I think so.
    Which would get the better price? Good question....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭High bike

Mart you can brim them home if ur not happy

Thanks. I know it's hard to judge from a photo.
    Would ye take a stab at approx. weights?
    Haven't been to a mart lately, how are these type of cattle going.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Grueller

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    Thanks. I know it's hard to judge from a photo.
    Would ye take a stab at approx. weights?
    Haven't been to a mart lately, how are these type of cattle going.?

€2 per kilo is the best of it today in Carnew. Saw 430kg lim/fr bullocks at 14 months make €650 a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Grueller wrote: »
    €2 per kilo is the best of it today in Carnew. Saw 430kg lim/fr bullocks at 14 months make €650 a head.

saw 540 kg limx make €500 plus weight in skib friday, bullocks. Frx were hit and miss .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Carnaross Mart last week for AAx bullocks 600 -700 Kgs. Things like movements will have a big impact on price.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Carnaross Mart last week for AAx bullocks 600 -700 Kgs. Things like movements will have a big impact on price.

Thanks for that. Big variation in prices there.
    As you said movements & dob has a big effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Haven't had the phone out with me for a while, took a few pics of this years calves off the stock bull.

The bulls might lack a bit of height but he's putting good shape and good ends to them so far.
    2:1 ratio of heifers to bulls this yr though :mad:

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

2:1 ratio of heifers to bulls

This might sound crazy but I was giving Osmonds mineral boluses to the stock for the last God knows how many years.
    But I found that if you gave two of their copper boluses to the bull 3 weeks before mating there was a tendency for bull calves. If you gave two of their high fertility boluses there was a tendency for heifer calves.
    Osmonds are gone out of business now but maybe there's something similar with other brands.
    Anyways keep that to yourself there..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does anyone here have a Lister pasture pump?
    Is it suitable for sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Eldest lads heifer calved this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

whelan2 wrote: »
    nice looking pair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Another suckler farmer!!!! One more of us one less of them.
    Hope she is lucky for him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's nice to hear a good news story with all the doom and gloom about.

Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Any idea what these legions/scars are ?
    29 month old bullock here with 2 or 3 on each side of the belly. Saw them a few weeks back but thought they had cleared up however I noticed them back last evening. Are they ringworm ?

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Any idea what these legions/scars are ?
    29 month old bullock here with 2 or 3 on each side of the belly. Saw them a few weeks back but thought they had cleared up however I noticed them back last evening. Are they ringworm ?
    They don't look like ringworm to me. They look more like infected wounds especially the top one as it appears to be raised. I wonder is he scratching himself with the hind hoof or rubbing off something sharp.

Base price wrote: »
    They don't look like ringworm to me. They look more like infected wounds especially the top one as it appears to be raised. I wonder is he scratching himself with the hind hoof or rubbing off something sharp.

When I noticed it first I actually wondered were they like some type of bite mark so am inclined to think it is infected sores.
    Probably totally unrelated but he has been somewhat lame since about a week after he arrived which I was putting down to a hurt from pucking. Def not a scald but had given him LA antibiotic just in case. He is a poor enough animal but has good appetite and despite never looking full is putting on flesh. One of those odd types !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is there any animal with a sharp horn in with him? Doesn't look like ringworm to me either.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    When I noticed it first I actually wondered were they like some type of bite mark so am inclined to think it is infected sores.
    Probably totally unrelated but he has been somewhat lame since about a week after he arrived which I was putting down to a hurt from pucking. Def not a scald but had given him LA antibiotic just in case. He is a poor enough animal but has good appetite and despite never looking full is putting on flesh. One of those odd types !
    Is there any animal with a sharp horn in with him? Doesn't look like ringworm to me either.
    If he is a new introduction to the herd then he is probably bullied by other animal and as Kovu posted possibly by another bullock with a stub of a horn.

Base price wrote: »
    If he is a new introduction to the herd then he is probably bullied by other animal and as Kovu posted possibly by another bullock with a stub of a horn.

Nothing horny around here !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Tis hardly warble fly scars is it or do they only come out through the back?
    Read somewhere that imported cattle had re-introduced them
    maybe Greysides might enlighten us?

Advertisement